PDA

View Full Version : Ford eco-boost recalls

Bigdogjim
12-05-2012, 04:59 PM
More problems for Ford as it has to recall 90K of the 1.6L ecoboost engines for overheating and fire issues:eek:

Story here... http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2012/12/03/ford-fusion-escape-recall-engine-fires/1743203/

Sad that Ford has more recalls since 2009 than other car company:confused:

JBFTech
12-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Have a handful of escapes sitting at the shop already, just waiting for Ford to figure out what to do, SMH....

Sent from my SR-71 using Tapatalk

GordonB
12-05-2012, 06:15 PM
What is a hopeful buyer to do? Wait? Hope? Contemplate the unthinkable -- or just keep what I got?
GordonB

Bluerauder
12-05-2012, 06:25 PM
More problems for Ford as it has to recall 90K of the I-6 ecoboost engines for overheating and fire issues:eek:

This applies to the 1.6 Liter Ecoboost in the Ford Escape and Fusion. It DOES NOT apply to the 3.5 Liter Ecoboost in the Taurus SHO or F-150.

merc
12-05-2012, 06:35 PM
This applies to the 1.6 Liter Ecoboost in the Ford Escape and Fusion. It DOES NOT apply to the 3.5 Liter Ecoboost in the Taurus SHO or F-150.

You hope it don't apply later, but knowing you I would not be surprised that the wife regulator kicks in way before you hit max boost. :)

Bluerauder
12-05-2012, 06:49 PM
You hope it don't apply later, but knowing you I would not be surprised that the wife regulator kicks in way before you hit max boost. :)

Ha, Ha, Ha .... actually the "wife regulator" kicks in at about 1/2 boost. ;) I have already tested this on a number of occasions. :D Fortunately, I can disable this feature on many of my trips.

JBFTech
12-05-2012, 06:58 PM
Ecoboost F150 is nice, plenty of get up and go, I'd get one but I'm too hard-headed stuck on V8. Only problems I ever see with them is misfire/run rough on highway drives, and the occasional bad cat. They seem to hold up well, see a lot of em with well over 100K miles still running strong.

SpartaPerformance
12-05-2012, 07:16 PM
That article is a bit misleading, dropping Ford's quality grade because it has a few more recalls then Toyota....really? If you consider the fact that Toyota recalls are millions of vehicles at a time they have recalled like 40 million cars, granted they over lap but imagine owning one car that has been recalled 5 times for catastrophic recalls such as unintended accel, steering shafts that snap, steering columns that bind and lick up while driving etc.... and also have to park your car because fixes and/or parts not available. Ford also took a quality grade hit because of the first edition of MyTouch...common!!! That's not a safety issue.... paaaalease no fair and balance in that story!!!

JBFTech
12-05-2012, 07:39 PM
That article is a bit misleading, dropping Ford's quality grade because it has a few more recalls then Toyota....really? If you consider the fact that Toyota recalls are millions of vehicles at a time they have recalled like 40 million cars, granted they over lap but imagine owning one car that has been recalled 5 times for catastrophic recalls such as unintended accel, steering shafts that snap, steering columns that bind and lick up while driving etc.... and also have to park your car because fixes and/or parts not available. Ford also took a quality grade hit because of the first edition of MyTouch...common!!! That's not a safety issue.... paaaalease no fair and balance in that story!!!

True....most of the Ford recalls don't involve fatalities anymore, or far less potential for fatalities at least. Most of our recalls now are for SYNC, MyTouch, and various perceived driveability issues and small annoyances. Still going to stick with Ford no matter how many recalls come about, none are enough to make me drive foreign crap or a government motors vehicle. I work on these things daily, have for over 11 years, the quality is much better than a lot of other brands out there.

Spectragod
12-05-2012, 07:50 PM

Yet............:rolleyes:

Joe Walsh
12-05-2012, 07:57 PM
I would've sworn that good 'ole Terdyota was leading the pack in recalls the past few years.
Toyota recalled 2.5 MILLION P.O.S. cars just last year!

Bluerauder
12-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Toyota recalled 2.5 MILLION P.O.S. cars just last year!
H3LL, Toyota just recalled another 2.77 Million less than 3 weeks ago. :rolleyes: But it is only a steering shaft problem that may cause a catastophic steering problem. This will not even be noticeable by 99% of Toyota owners who are out of control and largely unguided anyway. ;) Toyota drivers are among the worst drivers on the highways. Corolla and Corolla S owners are at the top of that list.

Joe Walsh
12-05-2012, 08:26 PM
H3LL, Toyota just recalled another 2.77 Million less than 3 weeks ago. :rolleyes: But it is only a steering shaft problem that may cause a catastophic steering problem.

This will not even be noticeable by 99% of Toyota owners who are out of control and largely unguided anyway. ;)

LOL.....So True!
Steering....and common sense.....are not missed by most Toyota drivers.

Toyota drivers are among the worst drivers on the highways. Corolla and Corolla S owners are at the top of that list.

Couldn't agree more!
That $h*tbox Corolla 'S' is such a friggin' joke.
They slap some crappy plastic ground effects on that turd and the 'S' badge, charge a couple grand more, and those sheep.....errr....suckers snap them up like candy.
Then the idiots think that they are now driving some kind of performance car and weave around on the Beltway like the morons that they are!

pem
12-05-2012, 10:23 PM
true....most of the ford recalls don't involve fatalities anymore, or far less potential for fatalities at least. Most of our recalls now are for sync, mytouch, and various perceived driveability issues and small annoyances. Still going to stick with ford no matter how many recalls come about, none are enough to make me drive foreign crap or a government motors vehicle. I work on these things daily, have for over 11 years, the quality is much better than a lot of other brands out there.

Sent from my sr-71 using tapatalk
amen !!!!!!

MrBluGruv
12-05-2012, 10:28 PM
Another thing about Toyota is they have a history of ignoring problems that appear on their vehicles. The '80's turbo Supra was a shining example of their attitude in action.

Fosters
12-06-2012, 12:26 AM
. .

Marauderman
12-06-2012, 05:13 AM

...................the 3.5 kicks azz in my 150.....whenever it seems--totally amazing.........was told to keep the turbos blown every once in a while to keep'um unclogged.....darn thing is much faster than any V-8 I've had.....and gas mileage is getting better with every mile it seems--just got over 2550 (mileage) on it at the moment---

Bluerauder
12-06-2012, 05:19 AM
...................the 3.5 kicks azz in my 150.....whenever it seems--totally amazing.........was told to keep the turbos blown every once in a while to keep'um unclogged.....darn thing is much faster than any V-8 I've had.....and gas mileage is getting better with every mile it seems--just got over 2550 (mileage) on it at the moment---

I wasn't told this but have been kinda doing it Naturally !! :D

Rockettman
12-06-2012, 05:27 AM

I've been trying for this everytime my girlfriends in the car...:rolleyes:; somehow they never unclog. :alone:

BAZINGA!

Dave Compson
12-06-2012, 09:09 AM
I ordered my wife a 2013 ford explorer sport with the Eco boost. I'm excited to drive it after reading some of the other posts in this thread. But, ill be buying the extended warranty when I pick up the truck.

Bigdogjim
12-06-2012, 10:32 AM
As long as you the other eco boost you will be ok!

It' the 1..6 L that has the issues not the 3.5 L.

Dave Compson
12-06-2012, 11:03 AM
Yeah, it's the 3.5 not the small one. I'm sure ill be fine.

Ozark Marauder
12-06-2012, 11:07 AM
As long as you the other eco boost you will be ok!

It' the 1..6 L that has the issues not the 3.5 L.

Yeah, it's the 3.5 not the small one. I'm sure ill be fine.

Okay now which is it? :confused:

babbage
12-06-2012, 11:14 AM
More problems for Ford as it has to recall 90K of the 1.6L ecoboost engines for overheating and fire issues:eek:

Story here... http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2012/12/03/ford-fusion-escape-recall-engine-fires/1743203/

Sad that Ford has more recalls since 2009 than other car company:confused:

Perhaps some portholes are in order? :rolleyes::D

I'm sure it's an easy fix, prolly just a sheet of DEI Heat shield.

Bluerauder
12-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Okay now which is it? :confused:

You got keep up with the discussion or read the article. ;)

This problem applies to the 1.6 Liter Ecoboost in the Ford Escape and Fusion. It DOES NOT apply to the 3.5 Liter Ecoboost in the Taurus SHO or F-150.

The context of Dave's statement was that he did not have the 1.6 L Ecoboost with the problem. He has the 3.5L.

Ozark Marauder
12-07-2012, 10:50 AM
You got keep up with the discussion or read the article. ;)

This problem applies to the 1.6 Liter Ecoboost in the Ford Escape and Fusion. It DOES NOT apply to the 3.5 Liter Ecoboost in the Taurus SHO or F-150.

The context of Dave's statement was that he did not have the 1.6 L Ecoboost with the problem. He has the 3.5L.

Ooops!!! I stand corrected only scanned the article and posts, Sometimes, I wish I never learned how to speed read.....

OZ

MyBlackBeasts
12-07-2012, 04:15 PM
I'm going to wait till the EcoBoost has 4 or 5 years on it before making a judgement. I am of the opinion that they will self-destruct when they get some miles on them. I have a hard time believing you can push that much thru an OEM built V6 engine without the wear causing failure at a lower mileage than regular engines. Here's hoping I'm proven wrong but they won't be using my $$$ to be a guinea pig... :shake:

Joe Walsh
12-07-2012, 04:51 PM
I'm going to wait till the EcoBoost has 4 or 5 years on it before making a judgement.
I am of the opinion that they will self-destruct when they get some miles on them.
I have a hard time believing you can push that much thru an OEM built V6 engine without the wear causing failure at a lower mileage than regular engines.
Here's hoping I'm proven wrong but they won't be using my $$$ to be a guinea pig... :shake:

As with any turbo engine....
It all boils down to keeping good quality, clean oil in them.
And not 'hot lapping' it, then shutting the motor off immediately to heat soak.
That being said.....many an EcoBoost engine owner will run 15,000 miles on Jiffy Lube oil, then whine & b*tch that FORD makes junk engines.....:shake:

Dave Compson
12-08-2012, 11:24 AM
I used to own a 91 Nissan 300zx twin turbo and will treat the Eco boosted ford the same way. Fresh oil, and no 'hot lapping it' as you said. Great advice.

Fosters
12-09-2012, 04:33 PM
. .

EMAS
12-09-2012, 05:17 PM
\
That being said.....many an EcoBoost engine owner will run 15,000 miles on iffy Lube oil, then whine & b*tch that FORD makes junk engines.....:shake:

There fixed it for you, :) you must have accidentally put a J in front.

SpartaPerformance
12-14-2012, 06:15 AM
Ok, those of you affected by this, the fix was just posted today. Software issue, cooling fans were not coming on fast enough and as the overheated coolant would boil out it would drip onto the super heated housing of the turbo charger and ignite. I'm sure there are A LOT of techs thanking God it's not a hardware issue.

Bluerauder
12-14-2012, 01:06 PM
Ok, those of you affected by this, the fix was just posted today. Software issue, cooling fans were not coming on fast enough and as the overheated coolant would boil out it would drip onto the super heated housing of the turbo charger and ignite. I'm sure there are A LOT of techs thanking God it's not a hardware issue.

I had a similar "Cooling Fan & Software" recall letter back during the summer 2012 on the 3.5 Liter Ecoboost. I'll have to check the letter (and the applied fix); but it sure seems similar. Can't believe that FORD duplicated the same problem in the 1.6 Liter Ecoboost. :rolleyes:

SpartaPerformance
12-14-2012, 03:36 PM
I had a similar "Cooling Fan & Software" recall letter back during the summer 2012 on the 3.5 Liter Ecoboost. I'll have to check the letter (and the applied fix); but it sure seems similar. Can't believe that FORD duplicated the same problem in the 1.6 Liter Ecoboost. :rolleyes:

10-11 Taurus's and 11-12 Explorers had cooling fan issues, some of them just burned out. Same software engineers, I can see the same problem happening. LOL

Bluerauder
12-15-2012, 05:46 AM
10-11 Taurus's and 11-12 Explorers had cooling fan issues, some of them just burned out. Same software engineers, I can see the same problem happening. LOL

Mine is a 2012 Taurus SHO so the cooling fan problem continued past 2011.

Joe Walsh
12-15-2012, 02:13 PM
............:laugh:........... :laugh:.......:laugh:

There fixed it for you, :) you must have accidentally put a J in front.

Yep...my bad!!!!

I have a good friend who used to run a car repair shop just down the street from an Iffy Lube.
He would tell me the horror stories of Iffy Lube customers coming into his shop with things like brake fluid in the crank case, motor oil in the brake master cylinder....etc....:eek:

babbage
12-15-2012, 05:44 PM
Lol "iffy lube" have to remember that one.