PDA

View Full Version : Info on Drag Racing...

woaface
02-29-2004, 06:34 PM
Well I've had a chat with one of the operators at the Greer Dragway. I wanted to get some tips and stuff on what to expect, how to do everything...blah blah. Lady wasn't very helpful at all and never would give me the number of the guy she said could really help me:shake:

Anyways, I think I've got this down, but I want to make sure. I pull up, I pay my fee, they check over the car and make sure I've got a helmet and seatbelt, I want in my pit till it's my turn and then pull up in front of the water box (not in the water puddle) to do my burn-out and then I wait for the next guy to do his or let him stage and then I stage. When the light turns green, I stab it and whatever happens happens. After that I drive back and write with shoe pollish the time I saw on the board in my lane. I don't care if I win or not, I'm just dying for a time slip on the car, and the rush of racing down the track. I really doubt I'll get better than 16 even on the car.

So if I've got this about right, I have a few questions.
1.) Does a hockey helmet that can take a puck at 90mph count as a helmet?
2.) Staging, this is pulling up to the starting line right?
3.) Tire pressure, mine is suggested 35psi, what would be a good drop from that?
4.) I just want to take it up and get numbers, I don't want to go for a whole day of racing and tuning (I've nothing to tune!) She said their open several different times. And I quote
"On March 4 is our first Practice and Grudge Racing from 6-10pm, this will be an every Thursday Event. Starting Saturday, March 6 we will have our Bracket Racing each Saturday."
Nothing more than that though...can I just take the car up then? Or will I get stuck there all day?
I think that's all I have to ask for now...any help would be greatly appreciated...I would like to know as much as I can before I watch one week and race the next.

Silver_04
02-29-2004, 06:41 PM
I don't think you are going to need a helmet unless you are planning on running faster than 14 sec 1/4's or unless it is a track rule. You shouldn't need to do a burn out with stock rubber. Drive around the box if you can. I just went for the first time ever and I had a blast. Good luck.

Logan
02-29-2004, 06:42 PM
1.) Does a hockey helmet that can take a puck at 90mph count as a helmet?
2.) Staging, this is pulling up to the starting line right?
3.) Tire pressure, mine is suggested 35psi, what would be a good drop from that?

1. No. Must be a Snell 95 helmet minimum. (Motorcycle helmet). But you only need a helment if you're running faster than 13.99 in the quarter.

2. Yes. Pull up to the line, inch forward until the first set of staging lights goes on. This is the pre-stage. Typically etiquette demands you wait til the other guy finished pre-staging before you stage fully.

Once he's pre-staged, inch forward a tiny bit more to turn the second set of staging lights on. You're now fully staged. Once both cars are fully staged, get ready, the lights will start dropping down the tree. When you see the last set of amber lights turn on, PUNCH IT. If you wait til you see the green, you're too late.

Logan
02-29-2004, 06:46 PM
...and oh yeah, make sure you wear long pants, have a jacket handy and also wear closed toed shoes.

woaface
02-29-2004, 07:18 PM
1. No. Must be a Snell 95 helmet minimum. (Motorcycle helmet). But you only need a helment if you're running faster than 13.99 in the quarter.

2. Yes. Pull up to the line, inch forward until the first set of staging lights goes on. This is the pre-stage. Typically etiquette demands you wait til the other guy finished pre-staging before you stage fully.

Once he's pre-staged, inch forward a tiny bit more to turn the second set of staging lights on. You're now fully staged. Once both cars are fully staged, get ready, the lights will start dropping down the tree. When you see the last set of amber lights turn on, PUNCH IT. If you wait til you see the green, you're too late.Motorcycle helmet? Great I'll get that from my neighbor! But she said track rule mean I'll need the helmet, I told her I shouldn't run more than 16 so hopefully she was misguided. It's an IRHA licensed track.
I read the whole etiquette thing too, I'm glad I know this:)

I also heard or read something about punching it at green...I'm glad I won't be listening to that either:beatnik:

Thanks so much, I didn't want to go stupid.

So how about them tires!?

I don't think you are going to need a helmet unless you are planning on running faster than 14 sec 1/4's or unless it is a track rule. You shouldn't need to do a burn out with stock rubber. Drive around the box if you can. I just went for the first time ever and I had a blast. Good luck.I've done a 30 second burnout before and the tire (haha) didn't heat up a whole lot...maybe 5º...whoop-te-do.

...and oh yeah, make sure you wear long pants, have a jacket handy and also wear closed toed shoes.IRHA rules for the long pants right? Jacket is always in the trunk, and I hate driving without my tennis shoes.

Whooo! I can tell this is gonna be great.

stumpy
02-29-2004, 09:57 PM
Motorcycle helmets are not NHRA approved! Many tracks don't check, but to be legal at a strict/selective track it must have an SA rating (something about fires I think). Also, the helmet is good for 10 years, so a SA95 will expire in 2005, best to get an SA2000.

Yep, if you see the green light then you've already lost. The two small lights at the top are to let you known 1) when you've entered the staging beans and 2) when you are fully SHALLOW staged (that's enough for now). The 3 yellow lights are spaced .5 seconds apart and the green comes on .5 after the last yellow. The race starts when the green lights up. However, the last staging beam is ~.5 seconds behind the starting line, which is why you typically leave on the 3rd yellow.

As for the dial, you should dial (the time you estimate running) either a bit high or exactly what you've been running but never lower. Half way down the track look in your mirror or over your shoulder to see where your rival is and adjust, ie. slow down if you're way ahead or stay in it. I've hit the brakes in races before just to make sure I didn't go too fast (break out).

I guess what you really want to know is what to expect. It's not hard but you're bound to do something wrong at least once. So sit in the stands and watch for at least 30 minutes and get the feel for what ppl are doing. I guarantee that after your first run you'll be ready for another. After your second run you'll likely know all you need to know for that day. :beer:

woaface
02-29-2004, 10:17 PM
Great! I'll tell my parents I'm at the mall and then blow the next 2 or 3 hours at the track then:)Thanks.

Well no wonder the lady wasn't helpful...she's far from lady status...
Second down in the first row.
http://www.greerdragway.com/track_staff.htm

Bigdogjim
02-29-2004, 10:27 PM
After your first day your hooked:)

Good luck:):):)

THE_INTERCEPTOR
03-01-2004, 07:40 AM
After your first day your hooked:)

Good luck:):):)

I couldn't agree more big dog! My first time ever to a drag strip was last month in January. I have been at the drag strip every single Sunday since then! $8 test and tune each and every Sunday. pay $8, race as much as you want.

It is so much fun! I've found a new hobby! :banana2:

Saw a foxbody 'Stang run an 8.65 yesterday! DAYUM! :bows:
Next week is Spring Break Extravaganza! They are expecting a 300 car turnout!!!!!! :beer:

www.fayettevillemotorsportspar k.com

HookedOnCV
03-01-2004, 01:16 PM
$8 to race is really cheap! The first (and only time so far) racing was last fall and the local track - 2 hours away charges $69 for a test and tune day! :down:

Unfortunately the Minneapolis / St. Paul area has very few choices for racetracks. 2 to 4+ hours away to have some fun.

It is very addicting. I can't wait to go again. I'm just not sure how far I want to drive vs. paying the entry fee.

Todd

woaface
03-01-2004, 01:46 PM
Todd, nice Vic! I was thinking, if I ever really get interested, or get the $ while I'm in college, should I get an Allen s/c or a Vortech? I've been leaning towards Vortech. But that's a real nice set-up you're runnin', very attractive.

Paul T. Casey
03-01-2004, 02:05 PM
Test and Grudge is the way to go, you will get to practice your reaction time that way. Also don't try to line up against a rail or something like that, usually the track dudes and dudettes will help you immensely. And like BigDog said, you're already hooked. :up:

sailsmen
03-01-2004, 02:24 PM
Good add on 1/4 miles tips http://www.musclecarclub.com/library/race/drag-racing-tips.shtml

woaface
03-01-2004, 02:30 PM
Well that's quite a bit of reading, but I'll get it done. I'll try and head out within the next few weeks. Whoope!!

woaface
03-01-2004, 02:56 PM
These are the things I plan to take off of the car when I run it on 1/4 a tank of gas.

1. All door panals (easy to do, done it before)
2. Spare tire and jack
3. The lighting/reflective piece on the trunk (1 part, have removed before)
4. Floor Mats
5. Back seat (just the bottom half)
6. Washer Fluid (I never use it anyways)
Then I going to stick all that crap back on and run it again.

Also, while I'm in the pits, I'm going to open up the airbox, take out the air filter, stick in the biggest bag of ice I can...and leave it there until I'm ready to start and run the car for the second and third try.

I'll be leaving the O/D off on the second and third run too, and hopefully it will help after my engine is heated from the first shot.

This is all very interesting:)

Lloyd330
03-01-2004, 06:14 PM
[Quote]Also, while I'm in the pits, I'm going to open up the airbox, take out the air filter, stick in the biggest bag of ice I can...and leave it there until I'm ready to start and run the car for the second and third try.[quote/]

weight is the enemy, yes the other things you outlined sound good, however, i would leave the filter in place. way too risky to run without one, and any performance gain would be negligible. good luck

frank

gdmjoe
03-01-2004, 06:33 PM
Other newbie hints and tips .....

- Water-box ... Drive around it; water in the nooks / crannies will harm traction.
- Burn-out ... No need to go over-board here; a short dry ( remember, you went around the water-box ) hop will surfice to get rid of track residue.
- Tire pressure ... Drop it to 28psi and experiment. DON'T FORGET TO AIR BACK UP BEFORE YOU LEAVE.
- OverDrive and TractionControl ... -off- *You indicated that you would be experimenting here.
- Staging / Leaving ... Stage shallow and leave when you see the last yellow ( as others have mentioned ). BTW - Left foot on the brake, right foot poised over the gas; lift and smash on the leave.

Test-and-Tune are great for finding what suits you best.

Good luck and have fun.

woaface
03-01-2004, 07:20 PM
Also, while I'm in the pits, I'm going to open up the airbox, take out the air filter, stick in the biggest bag of ice I can...and leave it there until I'm ready to start and run the car for the second and third try.[quote/]

weight is the enemy, yes the other things you outlined sound good, however, i would leave the filter in place. way too risky to run without one, and any performance gain would be negligible. good luck

frank
Lol, no no. What I mean is, I'm going to put the ice in there to keep everything cool (hopefully). When I'm ready to run again BEFORE I put the key in the ignition, I'm going to put the air filter back in and close everything up so it's as it was. Just something to try out:up:

Staging / Leaving ... Stage shallow and leave when you see the last yellow ( as others have mentioned ). BTW - Left foot on the brake, right foot poised over the gas; lift and smash on the leave.

Test-and-Tune are great for finding what suits you best.

Good luck and have fun.I'm used to the left foot brake right foot gas thing from stoplight runs:) But what do you mean by staging shallow? I guess I thought that you could only move so far forward, and then the second set of staging lights would turn on telling you to stop and go no further. From there after your competition has staged, or if they already have...the tree starts lighting down and you go on the amber lights before the green...?

I believe it's true that I'll have some fun.:)

gdmjoe
03-02-2004, 05:00 PM
...But what do you mean by staging shallow? I guess I thought that you could only move so far forward, and then the second set of staging lights would turn on telling you to stop and go no further. From there after your competition has staged, or if they already have...the tree starts lighting down and you go on the amber lights before the green...?

A shallow stage is one that just trips the second beam; you've got a few inches of play before you roll-out of the beam.

...I believe it's true that I'll have some fun.:)
Or you could just - Stage deep and leave hard! :D

THE_INTERCEPTOR
03-03-2004, 07:27 AM
Woaface, take heed of what GDMJoe is telling you.

I was at the drag strip my very first time, and GDMjoe was there. he gave me some tips, and I impvored my times by .3 of a second after listening to some of his suggestions.

I'm still waiting for Joe to come back to Fayetteville motorsports park, hang out, and run his vic! :)

woaface
03-03-2004, 12:46 PM
Well guess what? It's only a 1/8 mile track! What a bummer...:shake: Closest 1/4 mile track is over 2 hours away.

greyghost
03-03-2004, 02:19 PM
Well guess what? It's only a 1/8 mile track! What a bummer...:shake: Closest 1/4 mile track is over 2 hours away.
So whats wrong with an 1/8th mile track. All your technique is really in the first 1/8th mile. How to burn out, how to stage, how to launch. I use to be like you and pohpoh the 1/8th mile tracks. Most of the motorcycle drags are in the 1/8th mile some big tracks like Atlanta Dragway are set up for both and will have some classes runing the 1/8th and other the 1/4. Usually the 1/8th mile tracks are quicker between runs because they use a lot shorter shutdown area so they can run more cars in a given time. Enjoy whats available, especially when its close to home. I have to drive 140 miles to get to the nearest 1/4 mile track. My home track that is 10 min. from my driveway is an 1/8th mile. Test and Tune there is only $10 a day. Atlanta Dragway wanted $25 for T&T last Sat with a 2+ hr wait for Technical. That will be fine for the FFW but, not for a T&T.

SergntMac
03-03-2004, 02:40 PM
It's safer, faster, and where the real racing goes on. Most rule books make you add a bunch of safety equipment when you break out of the 12s in the 1/4. because you're over 100 MPH in the traps. It's an old, old trick to run the 1/8 with the best you got, and get out of the throttle. Just compare slips for the 1/8 mile stuff and you'll know who's running good.

greyghost
03-03-2004, 02:43 PM
It's safer, faster, and where the real racing goes on. Most rule books make you add a bunch of safety equipment when you break out of the 12s in the 1/4. because you're over 100 MPH in the traps. It's an old, old trick to run the 1/8 with the best you got, and get out of the throttle. Just compare slips for the 1/8 mile stuff and you'll know who's running good.
Sarge has it right. He must have been there and done it.

woaface
03-03-2004, 06:42 PM
Well, I guess you guys are right, I was hoping for a 1/4 mile time...but if that's how it is, so be it!

merc406
03-04-2004, 07:53 AM
Don't forget to trim your toe nails.

greyghost
03-04-2004, 09:10 AM
Don't forget to trim your toe nails.
You are so right! :banana2: If you don't it can really affect your reaction times to the point of "Red Lighting" which, in Drag Racing is a major NoNo. :beer:

woaface
03-04-2004, 10:27 AM
:lol: Well, don't worry, I am always clean cut and spiffy for the ladies:up: :pimp:

woaface
03-13-2004, 05:33 PM
Well, if the track picks up their phone, and I can dig up however much money they'll say I need...I'll be going tonight! OOOOOO! Can't wait!

*EDIT* Since I've been gone all day, I wasn't able to find out that the races start at 430 on saturday. I'll go on Thursday if I can, when they do whoever whenever for $5 a head.

woaface
04-04-2004, 03:21 PM
Yes, this is an update. I haven't been able to make it the last few Thursdays, but I did go up there on one Saturday...these are the only two days they're open. WOW those top fuel things are LOUD! I even got to see 200 foot burnout and then an engine catch fire!

Saturday is expensive. $10 per person and $35 to race (the top dogs are out then)

Thursday is $5 to get it AND race.

This week is spring break so I'll try and get to the track then. Should be fun! I just have to find a helmet! Maybe I can borrow my neighbors motorcycle helmet...it's fullsized, covers the whole head, track said it was fine. It's a track rule that I have one. I'll tell my neighbor we're making Jackass videos and that I need to look extra dumb :lol: He'll believe me, I blew a fire cracker (a 3 inch one) in my hand on New Years :shot:

THE_INTERCEPTOR
04-05-2004, 05:34 AM
Glad to hear you had fun at the track James.

You probably won't need a helmet, unless you expect your GM to run under 14.00 in the 1/4. :)