PDA

View Full Version : Finally a replacement for the Marauder from Ford

Odinson
12-07-2012, 12:53 PM
Now it's no panther, but get this a 2013 Lincoln MKS has been lengthened to 17.13 ft long. Longer than the Marauder!

Combine this with the ecoboost engine and AWD, and we might be talking about an actual full sized luxury sedan with some power that doesn't suck.

Please if anyone checks one of these out let us know.

Odinson
12-07-2012, 02:10 PM
More interesting stats...

41.9 inches rear legroom. Second only to the deceased towncar 45.4. Caddy CTS is 41.6. Marauder is 38". Could make it a car of interest for black car services currently running aging towncars.

Skip pad a little weak at .84 compared to the Marauders .87, but it's tooled for luxury not performance.

Ecoboost is 0-60 in 5.2, 1/4 13.9.

AWD is nice, pretty good exhaust note.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1210_2013_lincoln_mks_ecoboost _first_test/

Biggest problem is the ~56k price tag. Not great. Should be 6k cheaper IMO.

Looks good (not great but pretty good) in black though. It's growing on me.

Krytin
12-07-2012, 02:13 PM
Just went to the site to take a look - Very Nice!!

Cheeseheadbob
12-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Man, the front of that car is fugly. I think the designers must have been on a whale watching cruise as a team building exercise...

http://www.coastalstudies.org/what-we-do/right-whales/images/IMG_3826_resize.jpg

Odinson
12-07-2012, 03:02 PM
I stand corrected. An ecoboost with with no stuff is about 50k sticker. About what I would expect.

Odinson
12-07-2012, 03:10 PM
I'm just shocked ANYONE build a 17+ft car. I thought the Marauder was the last new model, forever.

Frankly it's pretty awesome.

Nose reminds me a bit of the mark 8.

Bluerauder
12-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Please if anyone checks one of these out let us know.

FWIW --- I considered a Lincoln MKS before deciding to go with the Taurus SHO last year. Just wasn't thrilled with the MKS grill OR the rear taillights. Price tag for the loaded MKS is $58,265 vs. $43,500 for the SHO. About a baseline delta of $15K. Too much for just a nameplate IMHO. Mine has everything the MKS has except Navigation, Lane Monitor, Blind Spot Sensor and Cross Traffic Sensor (no real need for this and my Garmin works just fine). The one Lincoln MKS feature that interests me is the "Lincoln Drive Control" Controllable Sport Suspension. Still not enough to get me for $15K more. The SHO is nice enough inside and out. BTW -- I was able to buy at $6K off sticker so the difference would have been about $21K. I'm happy with my choice.

Odinson
12-07-2012, 03:40 PM
FWIW --- I considered a Lincoln MKS before deciding to go with the Taurus SHO last year. Just wasn't thrilled with the MKS grill OR the rear taillights. Price tag for the loaded MKS is $58,265 vs. $43,500 for the SHO. About a baseline delta of $15K. Too much for just a nameplate IMHO. Mine has everything the MKS has except Navigation, Lane Monitor, Blind Spot Sensor and Cross Traffic Sensor (no real need for this and my Garmin works just fine). The one Lincoln MKS feature that interests me is the "Lincoln Drive Control" Controllable Sport Suspension. Still not enough to get me for $15K more. The SHO is nice enough inside and out. BTW -- I was able to buy at $6K off sticker so the difference would have been about $21K. I'm happy with my choice.

Cool thanks. I think 2013 was a whole front end redesign, It's longer and has different stats now. I too saw no extra value for the MKS over the Taurus.

It's going to be a year before I can buy something anyway. Cash is low. Won't do a loan. Kinda have to decide on a price range well in advance.

One complaint on paper is I can't even figure out why there isn't 47" of leg room. It's a huge car. Without a frame to get in the way. Guess it's that platform.

Does the Taurus have a pass through to the trunk? That burn me a couple of times in the Marauder. The new MKS does.

MyBlackBeasts
12-07-2012, 03:56 PM
Cool thanks. I think 2013 was a whole front end redesign, It's longer and has different stats now. I too saw no extra value for the MKS over the Taurus.

It's going to be a year before I can buy something anyway. Cash is low. Won't do a loan. Kinda have to decide on a price range well in advance.

One complaint on paper is I can't even figure out why there isn't 47" of leg room. It's a huge car. Without a frame to get in the way. Guess it's that platform.

Does the Taurus have a pass through to the trunk? That burn me a couple of times in the Marauder. The new MKS does.

Glad to see the larger footprint. Now just dump the EcoJunk FWD, add Intek 32v V8 RWD and do something about ugly looking front & rear design. Then I might be tempted to buy one. :twocents:

Shaijack
12-07-2012, 05:16 PM
Having owned 4 Towncars, I will be looking for a replacement of my 08 soon. Wife drives it so she only wants certain things. I will look at them but don't know about buying one.
The front grill is a Zepher style grille as in 39-41 Lincolns. I don't like it.
Designed for a younger group. YA, the first two I bought the manager asked my my age. I told him 45 and he told me the average buyer was in the 70's. He almost lost the sale.

Guittard22
12-07-2012, 05:51 PM
All wheel drive would be sick

guspech750
12-07-2012, 06:05 PM
Front is kind of fugly. AWD is a turn off for me.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

Fosters
12-07-2012, 07:06 PM
. .

guspech750
12-07-2012, 07:37 PM
Just because it's big it doesn't make it a replacement for the Marauder... A replacement for the marauder would be a RWD 4 door coyote powered full size sedan, something like the Falcon from Australia. Why Ford isn't bringing over that beast, I have no idea :(

http://www.firstsupercars.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Ford-FPV-Falcon-GT-Concept.jpg

Yep. Yep. And more yep.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

MyO4Rawdur
12-07-2012, 08:31 PM
That car looks like a cross between a newer gto and a 2012 scion tc. Not too bad looking but id rather have a car I could afford and that is performance ready. Lux comes second.

REAL4WD
12-07-2012, 08:49 PM
please correct me if I'm wrong. but isn't a Marauder 17.66 feet long? over half a foot longer than the MKS.

From what I see, MKS is 205.6 inches long and the Marauder is 212.

guspech750
12-07-2012, 08:53 PM
For that kind of money. I'd buy a used CTS-V wagon.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Odinson
12-07-2012, 09:02 PM
please correct me if I'm wrong. but isn't a Marauder 17.66 feet long? over half a foot longer than the MKS.

From what I see, MKS is 205.6 inches long and the Marauder is 212.

Sorry you are correct.

Still EVERY other new car is 16 & 3/4 at the longest. IMO 17 ft is the minimum for a true full size car. Challengers and chargers are just large mid size.

Agreed that only a v8 performance tuned car could really be a replacement for the marauder. As to AWD, it seems to me that that is only going to get more popular. With so many cars out there 400+ engine hp, it's the only way to get the power to the road on all seasons.

Rear wheel is still more fun though :burnout:

BTW don't worry my marauder is staying, just looking for a DD to keep the miles down.

SC Cheesehead
12-07-2012, 11:12 PM
Yep. Yep. And more yep.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Fo' $hizzle! Oooooh yeah!

IwantmyMMnow!
12-07-2012, 11:19 PM
Yep. Yep. And more yep.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Fo' $hizzle! Oooooh yeah!

You guys wanna go down under with me and bring one back?

Oh wait....that just doesn't sound right....nevermind....carry on....

HBTMD
12-07-2012, 11:49 PM
Just because it's big it doesn't make it a replacement for the Marauder... A replacement for the marauder would be a RWD 4 door coyote powered full size sedan, something like the Falcon from Australia. Why Ford isn't bringing over that beast, I have no idea :(

http://www.firstsupercars.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Ford-FPV-Falcon-GT-Concept.jpg

Me Likey!! Me Likey!!! :beer::banana::party::drive::b urn:

MyBlackBeasts
12-08-2012, 12:02 AM
Now THIS would be an acceptable replacement for the MM! :bows:
http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g443/MyBlackBeasts/Holden-Efijy-front.jpg

Just need to get them shipped from down under... :shake:

http://www.holden.com.au/concept-cars/efijy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo7qBW_N-QU

DOOM
12-08-2012, 02:11 AM
4,512 pound car!!!! :eek:

I had no idea this Lincoln was heavier than the marauder!

Bluerauder
12-08-2012, 05:55 AM

Yes, both rear seat backs fold down. You can drop one or the other or both depending on your needs. The trunk in the Taurus SHO is "HUGE". Probably 50% larger than the Marauder. We took it to the beach last August and I put 3 big roll-on suitcases, bags, games, linens, towels, and pillows in there. Stopped at a roadside produce stand and found room for a 10# watermelon and a dozen ears of corn too. Would have only got 1/2 of that load in the Marauder trunk.

The Taurus SHO is heavier than the Marauder too by about 179 pounds base curb weight. I think the Taurus is about 4,343 vs. 4,164 for the '03 MM. Surprised me too.

Roadwarrior
12-08-2012, 01:45 PM

Is this the weight of the Lincoln before or after eating 2 racks of bbq ribs?:food: :D

Mr. Man
12-08-2012, 01:57 PM
Someone re-size the Falcon pic please. I like it.

Not a fan of the Lincoln at all. Looks like a Taurus with a different grille. I thought Lincoln was going to start hanging distinctive metal on their cars.

This Lincoln is all Fail IMHO.

Odinson
12-08-2012, 09:28 PM
I dunno, I think it looks pretty good in black. The Holden looks too much like a mid sized Toyota. Don't want a car that looks like a go cart. Would have gotten a g6 or a mustang then.

Black seems to hide it's center hood fold and baleen plates better. Not sure why they constantly demo silver, the worst color on this car.

guspech750
12-08-2012, 10:24 PM
You guys wanna go down under with me and bring one back?

Oh wait....that just doesn't sound right....nevermind....carry on....

:lol:

Sent from my iPhone 4S

hotford
12-09-2012, 02:33 PM
sorry guys that new lincoln is ugly,ugly.ugly.........my ass wont be in any new ford any time soon as long as they build ugly cars,,,,,that taurus isnt any better looking either.........now if that sexy 4 door falcon makes it over here im in........otherwise its gonna be the ctsv caddy

jerrym3
12-09-2012, 04:10 PM
Unless your wallet or credit card is big and fat, the V8 is dead.

That's the bad news.

The good news, these smaller motors, in lighter weight cars, can run !!!!!!!

But, a four cylinder?

I had a 4 in my 85 TurboCoupe. Not bad, and I'm sure technology has marched on, but, a four???

My 3.9 eight cylinder in my LS and 03 TBird runs just fine and gets 25+ on the highway. My V6 in my Explorer is great around town. Not so great on the highway when an incline comes up.

My 64 Galaxie 390/300, no problems, but loves the gas stations.

justbob
12-09-2012, 04:23 PM
Do want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fosters
12-09-2012, 04:29 PM
. .

hotford
12-09-2012, 05:50 PM
small motors in smaller cars ya that new SHO weights in over 4300 lbs thats heavier than the CTSV caddy, and sure isn't any type of contender in my books......

can't wait to see what the new buicks look like either.........

MyTMerc
12-09-2012, 07:18 PM
Man, the front of that car is fugly. I think the designers must have been on a whale watching cruise as a team building exercise...

http://www.coastalstudies.org/what-we-do/right-whales/images/IMG_3826_resize.jpg
Not a fan of the grille on the Lincolns either.

CWright
12-09-2012, 07:27 PM
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32 216&d=1355095396

I'd be ALL OVER that!

PonyUP
12-09-2012, 07:58 PM
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32 216&d=1355095396

I'd be ALL OVER that!

Yeah, I'd like that myself, looks like a good daily driver to me, I'm never replacing the Marauder, except with another Marauder

The Ice Bucket Approves of this message

CWright
12-09-2012, 08:03 PM
Yeah, I'd like that myself, looks like a good daily driver to me, I'm never replacing the Marauder, except with another Marauder

The Ice Bucket Approves of this message

AMEN! :D :cool:

RoyLPita
12-10-2012, 07:18 AM
Now THIS would be an acceptable replacement for the MM! :bows:
http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g443/MyBlackBeasts/Holden-Efijy-front.jpg

Just need to get them shipped from down under... :shake:

http://www.holden.com.au/concept-cars/efijy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo7qBW_N-QU

Holden is GM's Australian subsidiary.

Fosters
12-10-2012, 07:36 AM
. .

gpfarrell
12-10-2012, 08:04 AM
"EcoJunk" is an interesting phrase. A stock Marauder found 305hp from 281 cubic inches and an EcoBoost gets 355 or 365 from 213. The Maruader finds 66/hp per liter while the EB gets 101.

You can't get an FWD V6 Ecoboost in the Taurus/MKS, so the FWD put-downs are pointless. I like RWD, but AWD certainly isn't a step down. Oh, and smokey burn-outs (albiet FWD ones) are easy.

In fact, my stock MKS can make way more adolescent tire smoke than my stock or tuned MM ever could.

Nothing will replace my Marauder... especially with the Trilogy set-up it was and is a sweet ride.

But time has marched on. A tune puts the SHOs & MKSs into the high 12s.

Oh, SHO vs MKS? All a matter of taste. I found a 12,000 mile 2011 MKS with almost all the toys for just a tick over $31k. You can dicker over stickers, I'll buy smart. The $54k sticker on mine was never reality to me.

But the dark and darker interior choices that the SHO offers don't appeal to me. The "how can you tell it apart from a Hertz Taurus" appearance doesn't do it for me either. I get subtle, but find them sleepy.

So, to each their own. But you better be packin' a big stick and a little pulley under the hood of your MM before you go picking fights with even a mildly tuned SHO/MKS.

Oh, I find the Marauder's trunk much more useful. The opening on the Taurus/MKS resemembles a mailslot, so big bulky objects can't fit through the opening to take advantage of the space inside.

Odinson
12-10-2012, 08:25 AM
"EcoJunk" is an interesting phrase. A stock Marauder found 305hp from 281 cubic inches and an EcoBoost gets 355 or 365 from 213. The Maruader finds 66/hp per liter while the EB gets 101.

You can't get an FWD V6 Ecoboost in the Taurus/MKS, so the FWD put-downs are pointless. I like RWD, but AWD certainly isn't a step down. Oh, and smokey burn-outs (albiet FWD ones) are easy.

In fact, my stock MKS can make way more adolescent tire smoke than my stock or tuned MM ever could.

Nothing will replace my Marauder... especially with the Trilogy set-up it was and is a sweet ride.

But time has marched on. A tune puts the SHOs & MKSs into the high 12s.

Oh, SHO vs MKS? All a matter of taste. I found a 12,000 mile 2011 MKS with almost all the toys for just a tick over $31k. You can dicker over stickers, I'll buy smart. The $54k sticker on mine was never reality to me.

But the dark and darker interior choices that the SHO offers don't appeal to me. The "how can you tell it apart from a Hertz Taurus" appearance doesn't do it for me either. I get subtle, but find them sleepy.

So, to each their own. But you better be packin' a big stick and a little pulley under the hood of your MM before you go picking fights with even a mildly tuned SHO/MKS.

Oh, I find the Marauder's trunk much more useful. The opening on the Taurus/MKS resemembles a mailslot, so big bulky objects can't fit through the opening to take advantage of the space inside.

Thanks that was helpful. My wife's comment was you may as well add 30k and get that VIA Suburban for that money. She likes it though.

Apparently they improved the trunk opening in 2013 as well.

:beer:

Krytin
12-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Nice - but I liked this one better when it come out:
http://www.supercars.net/cars/678.html

How many of you remember the Ford 427 concept?

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/1576/Ford-427-Concept.html

I would kill for a DOHC v10... even a small one based on the 4.6 like the one in the boss 351 concept from a few years ago... or heck, one based on the coyote...

Mr. Man
12-10-2012, 03:14 PM
Nice - but I liked this one better when it come out:
http://www.supercars.net/cars/678.html
Looks like a warmed over T-bird. :down:

fastblackmerc
12-10-2012, 04:54 PM
This is the Marauder replacement I'd buy from Ford.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Interceptor

More pics

http://www.google.com/search?q=ford+interceptor&hl=en&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=xnXGUIXeIuyFyQG7zICoAg&sqi=2&ved=0CEAQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=708

88LTDCV351
12-10-2012, 05:26 PM
This is the Marauder replacement I'd buy from Ford.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Interceptor

The Ford Interceptor was my choice too. Except maybe the interior I saw looked kind of funky but I'm sure it would be more of a regular look if it made it into production.

jerrym3
12-10-2012, 06:13 PM
The V8 is dead? Odd you would say that in the times of 650hp corvettes/mustangs, and 550hp cadillac station wagons... Just because Ford doesn't make a v8 rwd in the US, doesn't mean everyone else stopped too.

Guess you missed the credit card statement.

Yes, there are some cars with not so crazy pricetags that have V8s, but they are very few.

I don't know the production figures, but is the Mustang selling more cars with V8s or V6s?

From what I've read, the new Mustang V6 is as quick, or quicker, than Mustang V8s of just a few years ago.

finster101
12-10-2012, 06:19 PM
It's fugly!

HD4
12-10-2012, 07:17 PM
2013 RT Charger is a great large RWD V8 car. We test drove one this weekend pretty well loaded with 38,500 MSRP. I like it, wife likes it, 370HP 390trq. lots of aftermarket support. IMO Tarus and Lincoln can't come close.
Think were gonna get one

fastblackmerc
12-10-2012, 08:24 PM
Wife has a 2007 Charger R/T with the R/T package.

Nice ride but the gas mileage sucks.

ChiTownMaraud3r
12-10-2012, 09:20 PM
They have improved on the mileage of the these new Dodges with revised transmissions. I drove one and a 300c not too long ago and I was very impressed. I wouldn't mind a new charger R/T, around here the dealer even sells vortech add-ons, from the dealer, with full warranty on car still.

I think the first gen MKS was much better looking than the new one. They totally screwed it up. I also hate how tall these new SHOs and MKSs are, I don't understand the need for the car to sit almost as high as some smaller crossovers, makes the car look bloated, heavy and ugly.

rocky
12-10-2012, 09:46 PM
Guess you missed the credit card statement.

Yes, there are some cars with not so crazy pricetags that have V8s, but they are very few.

I don't know the production figures, but is the Mustang selling more cars with V8s or V6s?

From what I've read, the new Mustang V6 is as quick, or quicker, than Mustang V8s of just a few years ago.

2013 v6 mustang
305hp(sound familiar?)
29mpg hwy
22k base price

quarter mile in 13.9 seconds at 100.1 mph

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1205_2013_ford_mustang_v_6_pre mium_first_test/#ixzz2EiOaulcw

I love V8's....but damn!

Commodore Crap
12-11-2012, 06:50 AM
Who's going down for what??
Lol.

-ryan s.

Fosters
12-13-2012, 12:04 AM
. .

stevengerard
12-14-2012, 09:01 AM
I think the first gen MKS was much better looking than the new one. They totally screwed it up. I also hate how tall these new SHOs and MKSs are, I don't understand the need for the car to sit almost as high as some smaller crossovers, makes the car look bloated, heavy and ugly.

Crash integrity, helps with side impact from what I understand.

visionmercury
12-15-2012, 01:01 AM
I would find the money for one of these , they scream sex to me . As much as the marauders do to. We need a good ol rwd car