PDA

View Full Version : Need whiskey advice............ come in here

Black_Noise
12-08-2012, 06:18 PM
So as secret santa this year I draw my brother in law, hes dabbles in drinking whiskey, where as me, I would rather just buy a bottle of seagrams honey and mix in some sierra mist.

So for the drinkers on here, what is a classy, good tasting, under $35 whiskey. (that price is because we have a $50 limit and I already got him a shirt he was after from his list)

Any help here peoples?

Bonus points for anyone in/around Boston who would deliver it. :beer:

slickster
12-08-2012, 06:40 PM
Jonnywalker black or crown royal

Jake
12-08-2012, 06:56 PM
Gentleman Jack Daniels or One Barrel Jack Daniels.

-

finster101
12-08-2012, 07:25 PM
Gentleman Jack Daniels or One Barrel Jack Daniels.

-

That single barrel Jack is good stuff! :beer:

MM2004
12-08-2012, 07:37 PM
Here's the deal...

All Bourbons are whiskey.

Not all whiskeys are bourbon.

To each their own; Jack Daniels is trash in my opinion.

Under $35.00...

I recommend the following:

Old Grandad 114
Buffalo Trace
Makers Mark
Eagle Rare
Wild Turkey 101
Knob Creek
Jim Beam -Devil's Cut

;)

Mike.

Bluerauder
12-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Buffalo Trace
or Eagle Rare
Devil's Cut

Shaijack
12-08-2012, 08:56 PM
Knob Creek......

Baconbit
12-08-2012, 09:29 PM
No one is gonna say Crown Royal????

Baaad GN
12-08-2012, 09:41 PM
Makers Mark or Very Old Fitz, not sure if ya can find very Old Fitz but look for it!

a_d_a_m
12-08-2012, 10:30 PM
Maker's Mark.

Or get him three bottles of Kentucky Gentleman. :D

Mr. Man
12-08-2012, 10:49 PM
First off what kind of whiskey does he drink? Tennessee, Canadian, Irish, Scotch, Bourbon, Rye, other?

WhatsUpDOHC
12-08-2012, 11:20 PM
Irish Whiskey:
Tullamore Dew
Powers
Red Breast (My favorite but $$)

SC Cheesehead
12-09-2012, 02:06 AM
First off what kind of whiskey does he drink? Tennessee, Canadian, Irish, Scotch, Bourbon, Rye, other?

That's what I'm thinking.

Also, how does he like it; mixed with sodas, with water, on the rocks, or neat?

Bluerauder
12-09-2012, 07:23 AM

Also, how does he like it; mixed with sodas, with water, on the rocks, or neat?

Yes ^^^^^. :D Anything he picks near $35 for a 750 ml bottle oughta be a decent whiskey. Less so in the under $25 range. Can't go wrong with a good Bourbon. And ..... if he turns up his nose at a bottle of single-barrel Jack Daniels (Tennessee Whisky), I would take him off my Christmas card list and finish it myself. :rolleyes:

Jake
12-09-2012, 09:26 AM
And ..... if he turns up his nose at a bottle of single-barrel Jack Daniels (Tennessee Whisky), I would take him off my Christmas card list and finish it myself. :rolleyes:

Amen!

Pass the bottle.

-

slickster
12-09-2012, 09:42 AM

I did.............

Ozark Marauder
12-09-2012, 09:51 AM
I like Gentleman Jack,

Maybe look here for all choices:

http://whiskey.findthebest.com/

OZ

Bluerauder
12-09-2012, 10:08 AM
Remember when whiskey used to come in "fifths", pints, half pints and "Shorties" (1/4 pint)?

WhatsUpDOHC
12-09-2012, 10:57 AM
I like Gentleman Jack,

OZ

Great website!

I'm going to have to try the Powers 12 year old Irish Whisky!

DWSTANG67
12-09-2012, 11:12 AM
Evan Williams its like Jack Daniels but half the price

MMcactusflower
12-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Maker's Mark is very, very smooth.

MM2
12-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Bushmills,the oldest distillery in the world, makes as fine a gift as you can get.

Black_Noise
12-09-2012, 02:34 PM
From what I know he drinks Tennessee style neat

JBFTech
12-09-2012, 03:22 PM
Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Gentleman Jack
Old Whiskey River (Willie Nelson)
Jameson (Irish) - which makes my favorite drink, a pint of Guinness Draught with a shot of Jameson poured in first.

Sent from my SR-71 using Tapatalk

WhatsUpDOHC
12-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Remember when whiskey used to come in "fifths", pints, half pints and "Shorties" (1/4 pint)?

We're discussing whiskey and rememberin' things? :D

JBFTech
12-09-2012, 03:48 PM
Also, Wild Turkey American Honey, smooth, good taste, but don't keep the bottle easily accessible!

Sent from my SR-71 using Tapatalk

Vortex
12-09-2012, 05:08 PM
My faves:

Bourbon Whiskey - Henry McKenna Straight Bourbon Whiskey (Its actually a cheaper brand but real good on a cold day!)

Irish Whiskey - Jameson (very smooth, not too expensive)

Scotch Whisky - Single Malt: Speyburn Highland Malt (another good one, not too pricey)

- blended: Dewar's White Label or J&B; they are both great

Cant speak for Tennesee Whiskey, any Canadians or Japanese (though Ive heard those are actually damn good). Im not into spending big bucks for expensive labels, the ones listed above are mid priced (except McKenna, thats cheap). A great gift and remember, Bourbon is a 100% American product.

Mr. Man
12-10-2012, 12:18 AM
From what I know he drinks Tennessee style neat

Tennessee whiskey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennessee_whiskey):

Jack Daniel's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Daniel%27s)

George Dickel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Dickel)

Benjamin Prichard's

Collier and McKeel

Haggis
12-10-2012, 07:26 AM
I like Gentleman Jack,

OZ

Having personally tasted many of the Scotches, whiskeys and bourbons on that list, I heavily disagree on their ratings. The best advice is buy what you like or what you know the person likes that you are buying the gift for. And if you want to try something new order a shot the next time you are at the bar.

HBTMD
12-10-2012, 08:23 AM
Glenlivit Scotch Whiskey, Johnny Walker Black, Chevis Regal are all very high quality whiskeys at a good price. :beer:

If you win the Lottery, Johnny Walker Blue is on sale at Costco for $127 right now. The Blue is so much better than everything else it will ensure that you remain his closest friend/relative for life. :bows:

Ozark Marauder
12-10-2012, 09:48 AM
Having personally tasted many of the Scotches, whiskeys and bourbons on that list, I heavily disagree on their ratings. The best advice is buy what you like or what you know the person likes that you are buying the gift for. And if you want to try something new order a shot the next time you are at the bar.

I too, have a problem with some of the ratings. I posted cause OP said he wanted to spend about 35.00. The chart is interactive and allowed for the ability to list by price. That's all. Totally agree with your points.

OZ

SAAAAAC
12-10-2012, 09:56 AM
I 100% agree with this. Old Grand Dad is a great bourbon. You could even do the 86 proof and get a half gallon for $25. 114 is really good though.

Here's the deal...

All Bourbons are whiskey.

Not all whiskeys are bourbon.

To each their own; Jack Daniels is trash in my opinion.

Under $35.00...

I recommend the following:

Old Grandad 114
Buffalo Trace
Makers Mark
Eagle Rare
Wild Turkey 101
Knob Creek
Jim Beam -Devil's Cut

;)

Mike.

SAAAAAC
12-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Oh and Basil Hayden is really good too. Might be over your $35 budget.

HBTMD
12-10-2012, 10:19 AM
I forgot to mention, Wild Turkey is also a great whiskey, and it will not break the bank.:beer:

Black_Noise
12-10-2012, 11:21 AM
im gonna go check out a few of these to see if I can find them, thanks guys for all the help!!

HammerDown
12-10-2012, 11:53 AM

I WILL!!!! :D

My Dad makes us great Manhattans with Crown Royal ;)

Dr Caleb
12-10-2012, 12:39 PM
I am most likely the wrong guy to ask. I want this:

Sorry for the crappy pic, my hand was all a-shaking!

WhatsUpDOHC
12-10-2012, 12:53 PM

Let me help:

Micahdogg
12-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Evan Williams its like Jack Daniels but half the price

If you are mixing it with coke...and already half bent maybe. :)

I noticed no one mention Jim Beam...and probably for good reason. I tried some again recently and it's not good.

Can't go wrong with JD.

Dr Caleb
12-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Let me help:

Thanks, but I'm Canadian. We only do that during Hockey Playoffs. ;)

Dr Caleb
12-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Can't go wrong with JD.

But, you can! There are so many good Burbons out there, that aren't J.D. There are also a great many Scotches and Ryes too.

I read a review that the 'generic' Kirkland brands of Tequila and Burbon sold at Costco are pretty good value for money. Not harsh, and not terribly expensive.

Up here we have a Crown Royal 'Black', a Rye that is trying to be Burbon, and it's not half bad. Same with 'Black Velvet Toasted Caramel' - also pretty good, under $30.

Micahdogg
12-10-2012, 03:23 PM
But, you can! There are so many good Burbons out there, that aren't J.D. There are also a great many Scotches and Ryes too.

I read a review that the 'generic' Kirkland brands of Tequila and Burbon sold at Costco are pretty good value for money. Not harsh, and not terribly expensive.

Up here we have a Crown Royal 'Black', a Rye that is trying to be Burbon, and it's not half bad. Same with 'Black Velvet Toasted Caramel' - also pretty good, under $30.

SO you really can go wrong with JD. But people should check out Costco's generic lineup? :confused:

Haggis
12-11-2012, 05:55 AM

Glenn, you and I do think a like. I told my wife that is what I want for my B-day, she said "if" we hit the Powerball jackpot. Guess what two things did not happen. :alone:

Dr Caleb
12-11-2012, 01:14 PM
SO you really can go wrong with JD. But people should check out Costco's generic lineup? :confused:

Right. You can get better tasting whisky for less money than you'd spend on JD. That was what the Black_Noise was looking for; advice on good tasting but not expensive whiskies.

Glenn, you and I do think a like. I told my wife that is what I want for my B-day, she said "if" we hit the Powerball jackpot. Guess what two things did not happen. :alone:

She didn't spend $23 thousand dollars on a bottle of Whisky? Doesn't she still love you? ;)

Mebot
12-11-2012, 01:41 PM
costco sells liquor? wow I had no idea. I mean I know they have their Kirkland Signature brand beer but I guess living in Virginia & being under the thumb of VA ABC law, we can't experience kirkland brand tequila!

to the OP, I always like to support my local breweries/distilleries so not sure if you can find this but Catoctin Creek Distillery makes a great pound stone Rye whisky as well as gin, if your buddy likes gin.

www.catoctincreekdistilling.co m

Sent from my handheld Zack Morris iShoe 4S.

Mr. Man
12-11-2012, 02:26 PM
Ha if Chris hits the Powerball her new name will end with Clooney :beer::P

Bluerauder
12-11-2012, 02:48 PM
I noticed no one mention Jim Beam...and probably for good reason. I tried some again recently and it's not good.
Aaaaah; but some of us did mention Jim Beam's "Devils Cut". Not bad at all. I like it .... but then again, I only rent it for 15-20 minutes at a time. Sometimes longer; but rarely long enough to make it home. ;)

Dr Caleb
12-11-2012, 03:06 PM
costco sells liquor? wow I had no idea. I mean I know they have their Kirkland Signature brand beer but I guess living in Virginia & being under the thumb of VA ABC law, we can't experience kirkland brand tequila!

A new Costco just opened up here and they have an adjoining liquor store (the law here). All their stuff is made by Grey Goose in France, and it's all supposed to be pretty good. A guy at work said he drank a case of the Vodka and his wife a case of the Tequila over the summer, and it wasn't harsh like 'cheap' stuff can be.

MM2
12-11-2012, 04:39 PM
I'll stand pat with my vote for Bushmills Irish Whiskey,best of the Isle.
And,technically,Jack Danials is not Bourbon,it's sour mash.
And there are smoother versions.
If you want a truly fantastic American Bourbon try Bookers.
126.6 proof and smoooooooooooooth with a dash of water and rocks.
Cheers !

Micahdogg
12-11-2012, 05:54 PM
Right. You can get better tasting whisky for less money than you'd spend on JD. That was what the Black_Noise was looking for; advice on good tasting but not expensive whiskies.

Well there I go again, making the mistake of reading what people post. "So for the drinkers on here, what is a classy, good tasting, under $35 whiskey." By all means, ditch the JD garbage and get some better tasting bourbons or costco's lineup. Pretty sure you can get a bottle at walmart for $22 or so....probably even with some glasses in those xmas gift sets.

Mr. Man
12-11-2012, 07:08 PM
And,technically,Jack Daniels is not Bourbon,it's sour mash.
Cheers !
If it's not from Kentucky it's not a bourbon.

Jack Daniels is a Tennessee whiskey that is acceptable for mixing with Coke and getting your freak on. :beer:

Ladyhawke
12-11-2012, 07:23 PM
And,technically,Jack Danials is not Bourbon,it's sour mash.
Cheers !
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

If it's not from Kentucky it's not a bourbon.

Jack Daniels is a Tennessee whiskey that is acceptable for mixing with Coke and getting your freak on. :beer:

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

All Bourbons are made with sour mash. And Jack Daniels is not a bourbon, not because it is not made in Kentucky, but because it has added flavors

Mr. Man
12-11-2012, 07:27 PM
I was under the impression bourbon only came from Kentucky but is under the larger category of whiskey, like champange only comes from France, otherwise it's sparkling wine.

I did not know there were bourbons labeled as such from other places.

Ladyhawke
12-11-2012, 07:36 PM
I was under the impression bourbon only came from Kentucky but is under the larger category of whiskey, like champange only comes from France, otherwise it's sparkling wine.

I did not know there were bourbons labeled as such from other places.

The Three Rules of Bourbon
1) Bourbon needs to be at least 51% corn
2) Must be aged in a virgin white oak barrel
3) Must have no added flavors

MM2004
12-11-2012, 07:38 PM
What is Bourbon?

Bourbon is kinda like whiskey's "sweet spot." Why? Well, first, because corn is a sweet grain. The more corn, the sweeter the whiskey. Also, it's tougher to make bourbon than whiskey. In fact, the government actually has standards for "Straight Bourbon Whiskey."
By law, bourbon must be:

Produced in the USA
Made of a grain mix of at least 51% corn
Distilled at less than 160 proof (80% ABV)
No additives allowed (except water to reduce proof where necessary)
Aged in new, charred white oak barrels
Aged for a minimum of two years*
* To be called "Straight" bourbon

Bourbon's Ingredients

Simply put, the main bourbon ingredients are distilled grain and water. We mix more than 51% corn (as required by the government) with barley, malt and rye. Then we add a little yeast. Not just any yeast, either. We've used the same, private-stock strain of yeast since Prohibition was repealed. Then we add pure, iron-free water, some time and a whole lotta love. And there you have it: The World's Finest Bourbon (http://www.jimbeam.com/kentucky-straight-bourbon-whiskey-history).
America's Native Spirit

The Beam family's contribution to America: The World's Finest Bourbon. Bourbon is America's contribution to the world of whiskey. To make it official, the U.S. Congress recognized Bourbon as America's Native Spirit (http://www.americasnativespirit.com/) in 1964, about 200 years after the very first bourbon went into a barrel.

Ladyhawke
12-11-2012, 07:43 PM
What is Bourbon?

Bourbon is kinda like whiskey's "sweet spot." Why? Well, first, because corn is a sweet grain. The more corn, the sweeter the whiskey. Also, it's tougher to make bourbon than whiskey. In fact, the government actually has standards for "Straight Bourbon Whiskey."
By law, bourbon must be:

Produced in the USA
Made of a grain mix of at least 51% corn
Distilled at less than 160 proof (80% ABV)
No additives allowed (except water to reduce proof where necessary)
Aged in new, charred white oak barrels
Aged for a minimum of two years*
* To be called "Straight" bourbon

Bourbon's Ingredients

Simply put, the main bourbon ingredients are distilled grain and water. We mix more than 51% corn (as required by the government) with barley, malt and rye. Then we add a little yeast. Not just any yeast, either. We've used the same, private-stock strain of yeast since Prohibition was repealed. Then we add pure, iron-free water, some time and a whole lotta love. And there you have it: The World's Finest Bourbon (http://www.jimbeam.com/kentucky-straight-bourbon-whiskey-history).
America's Native Spirit

The Beam family's contribution to America: The World's Finest Bourbon. Bourbon is America's contribution to the world of whiskey. To make it official, the U.S. Congress recognized Bourbon as America's Native Spirit (http://www.americasnativespirit.com/) in 1964, about 200 years after the very first bourbon went into a barrel.

I knew Gordon liked you for a reason. :up:

maineiac
12-11-2012, 07:47 PM
Bulleit bourbon very smooth good price

Mr. Man
12-11-2012, 07:50 PM
So what are some non-Kentucky bourbons?

MM2004
12-11-2012, 07:52 PM
I knew Gordon liked you for a reason. :up:

Awww... ;)

I understand everyone has different tastes, and probably should not post my opinion, but...

I cannot see where anyone can enjoy Jack Daniels? Whether straight or mixed.

Tried it in the past, and to this day, still tastes like shat.

This is strictly my opinion.

For those who do enjoy JD, please try a REAL Bourbon/Whiskey, just to mix it up a bit, and you'll never look back.

;)

Mike.

White Knuckles
12-12-2012, 06:41 AM
A new one to consider and a new start-up. I tried a bottle on the recommendation of a friend. I just bought my second.
Not widely distributed, but if you can find it....try it.

Nelson's Belle Meade Bourbon :up:

http://www.greenbrierdistillery.com/home.html

Ladyhawke
12-13-2012, 07:38 PM
Ha if Chris hits the Powerball her new name will end with Clooney :beer::P

Oh by the way Fred,

Clooney ... :puke:

And more :puke:

:puke:

Vortex
12-13-2012, 08:15 PM
Ill have you know that today I went out and bought a bottle of Canadian Club based on this conversation and that I had never tried any Canadian whiskey. Ill report back later. Besides, Im tired of reading right winged propaganda in the other threads.

chapel1
12-13-2012, 08:52 PM
ELMER T LEE if you can find it,it's from the makers of Buffalo Trace.

Dr Caleb
12-14-2012, 12:30 PM
Ill have you know that today I went out and bought a bottle of Canadian Club based on this conversation and that I had never tried any Canadian whiskey. Ill report back later. Besides, Im tired of reading right winged propaganda in the other threads.

Canadian Club, over ice, add Ginger Ale and a squeeze of Lemon.

Heaven in a glass.

Mebot
12-15-2012, 04:36 PM
A new Costco just opened up here and they have an adjoining liquor store (the law here). All their stuff is made by Grey Goose in France, and it's all supposed to be pretty good. A guy at work said he drank a case of the Vodka and his wife a case of the Tequila over the summer, and it wasn't harsh like 'cheap' stuff can be.

Thats interesting, I would love to try some of COstco's liquor since you really cant go wrong with Kirkland Signature!

Although their Tequila can't be called Tequila if it's made over in France ;)

just like the argument above about Bourbon and Kentucky whiskey, only Tequila distlled in Tequila, Mexico can be called Tequila

Bluerauder
12-22-2012, 05:52 AM
Made a run to the Virginia ABC store yesterday to replenish some stocks for the holidays .... Here's some of the prices here in VA .....

1. Buffalo Trace, 750 ml -- $24.90
2. Eagle Rare, Single Barrel 10 year, 750 ml -- $24.96
3. Jim Beam "Devil's Cut", 750 ml -- $25.95
4. Captain Morgan 100 Spiced Rum, 750 ml -- $21.45
5. Mr. Boston Egg Nog, 1 Liter -- $8.95

WhatsUpDOHC
12-22-2012, 06:03 AM
Made a run to the Virginia ABC store yesterday to replenish some stocks for the holidays .... Here's some of the prices here in VA .....

1. Buffalo Trace, 750 ml -- $24.90
2. Eagle Rare, Single Barrel 10 year, 750 ml -- $24.96
3. Jim Beam "Devil's Cut", 750 ml -- $25.95
4. Captain Morgan 100 Spiced Rum, 750 ml -- $21.45
5. Mr. Boston Egg Nog, 1 Liter -- $8.95
MV 10.5 at Charlie's house!!!

Mebot
12-22-2012, 07:19 AM
good price for buffalo trace. any other discounts or specials on Whiskys or whiskeys?

Sent from my handheld Zack Morris iShoe 4S.

Bluerauder
12-22-2012, 07:30 AM
good price for buffalo trace. any other discounts or specials on Whiskys or whiskeys?

Those were regular prices ... no discounts as far as I know.

Here's the ABC price list on Straight Bourbon >>>> http://www.abc.virginia.gov/Pricelist/STRAIGHT_BOURBON_WHISKEY.html

Most expensive on the list is 022100 Wild Turkey 101 Tradition, 14 year Limited Edition, 750ml, 101 Proof, $131.95. I understand that only 30,000 bottles were made.

At MV10, I picked up a bottle of Buffalo Trace, Single Barrel -- Special Select for about $28.00 from "The Depot" across the street from the Mayor's House. Talk about convenient. :D

Black Dynamite
12-24-2012, 07:28 PM
I picked up a bottle of Bulleit Rye the other day, it's pretty tasty but not quite the quality of Templeton. The difference surprised me as they are made by the same distillery....

Mr. Man
12-24-2012, 07:47 PM
Oh by the way Fred,

Clooney ... :puke:

And more :puke:

:puke:Perhaps Pitt ;) :lol:

Bluerauder
12-25-2012, 02:01 PM
My son picked me up a bottle for Christmas ... will have to try this later today. ;) Maybe right now. :D

019012 Jefferson's Presidential Select, 750ml, 18 year, 94 Proof, $99.90 >>>>> http://sourmashmanifesto.com/2012/11/13/review-jeffersons-presidential-select-18-year-bourbon/

kernie
12-25-2012, 02:36 PM
Canadian Club, over ice, add Ginger Ale and a squeeze of Lemon.

Heaven in a glass.

About 60 ml Canadian Club, A&W mug full of ice, 355 ml can of diet pepsi as i have to watch my figure.

My heaven in a glass, :D

:beer:

MM2004
12-25-2012, 02:39 PM
Have you enjoyed the Crown Royal Maple yet?

http://www.cravelocal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/crown-royal-maple.jpg

I am more of a Bourbon guy than a blend, but this is damn good!

Mike.

Ladyhawke
12-25-2012, 07:18 PM
Have you enjoyed the Crown Royal Maple yet?

http://www.cravelocal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/crown-royal-maple.jpg

I am more of a Bourbon guy than a blend, but this is damn good!

Mike.

I'd rather drink Jack then anything Canadian.

bugsyc
12-26-2012, 06:14 AM
WILD TURKEY......:beer:......I don't drink,liver trouble....But,when I did it had to be Belvedere Vodka....No better vodka made regardless of price...

tallpaul
12-26-2012, 08:27 AM
The more the better!!!