PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Credit Card

loud2004marquis
12-10-2012, 06:06 PM
Anyone here ever have their credit card info. stolen and find fraudulent charges on their statement?

Was doing some banking over the weekend saw a pending charge and thought it was a weird amount. It finally posted to the account in itemized form and saw McDonalds, 7-11 and a gas station from N.Y.

Called the bank and they were very helpful. Wife and I are getting new cards mailed to us and we will be credited back.

Just wondering how common this might be...

JBFTech
12-10-2012, 06:19 PM
I've had it happen twice, both were my bank card, bank took care of everything with one phone call and one fax, and neither time was my fault or something I could have prevented.

Sent from my SR-71 using Tapatalk

Murked03'
12-10-2012, 06:35 PM
Gotta be careful with the purchases always use credit for your transactions to steer away from the crooks with card skimmers...ask me how I know...

ajdereicup
12-10-2012, 07:01 PM
My manager has a few times. The one time he had the people next door to our work change his trucks oil (they walked over took the truck and card and told him what it'd be and he oked it they did it and charged it and brought it all back) and then like 30mins later he had an email from his card company asking if he just bought tons of car parts which he didn't so he denyed. Kinda obvious who took his info that time. The other time I forget what the people tryed to buy but he got the email and denyed it again

pem
12-10-2012, 07:21 PM
last years vacation to Orlando was my experience with stolen credit card info....someplace snatched our #'s including the 3 security #'s on the back....we were back home for about 2 or 3 days and got a phone call from the security department of a ticket broker in New York...they asked if I had purchased 4 tickets to an upcoming Orlando Magic-Miami Heat basketball game...said no and asked why...the tickets must have been good ones because the bill was over $1,000...he went on to explain that we were not liable which was a relief to me...I asked why wasn't a deal like that red flagged, after all buying tickets from a New York ticket broker from a phone # in Orlando with a Chicago credit card to be delivered to a suburban Orlando address would seem funny to me...sales like that happen all the time he says. There is much more to this story, but pointless to go on...you get the idea...one thing i did learn from it all: never let a waitress/waiter take your card and walk away with it....best bet is to stop at an ATM, get cash, keep your card in your "secure" aluminum wallet...they tried to do another scam but failed because it would have put my card over the limit...it would be a nicer world if these crooks put as much effort into a honest job instead of trying to screw us....almost sounds like the government

ajdereicup
12-10-2012, 07:24 PM
^^^x2. And yes use cash as cash is king. And the feel/smell of cash is 100x better then plastic

88LTDCV351
12-10-2012, 07:57 PM
A few years back I took a vacation to Virginia City Nevada. Stopped once for gas. Used pay at the pump. When I got back, I noticed several gas stations in the area were I stopped were charging me for gas. Called the bank and had all the fraud ones cancelled. Got my money back and a new card.

I figured someone local put something on the card reader and got gas on me several times in the area as they went about thier business.

JBFTech
12-10-2012, 08:56 PM
last years vacation to Orlando was my experience with stolen credit card info....someplace snatched our #'s including the 3 security #'s on the back....we were back home for about 2 or 3 days and got a phone call from the security department of a ticket broker in New York...they asked if I had purchased 4 tickets to an upcoming Orlando Magic-Miami Heat basketball game...said no and asked why...the tickets must have been good ones because the bill was over $1,000...he went on to explain that we were not liable which was a relief to me...I asked why wasn't a deal like that red flagged, after all buying tickets from a New York ticket broker from a phone # in Orlando with a Chicago credit card to be delivered to a suburban Orlando address would seem funny to me...sales like that happen all the time he says. There is much more to this story, but pointless to go on...you get the idea...one thing i did learn from it all: never let a waitress/waiter take your card and walk away with it....best bet is to stop at an ATM, get cash, keep your card in your "secure" aluminum wallet...they tried to do another scam but failed because it would have put my card over the limit...it would be a nicer world if these crooks put as much effort into a honest job instead of trying to screw us....almost sounds like the government

Agree completely with never letting your card go out of sight, you never know what they do with it after they walk away with it. Also, never leave your card laying on the counter, or table, I've seen instances where all it takes is a simple cellphone snapshot that most people wouldn't even notice, of your card laying on the table. I also get cash from the ATM every time I have the chance, the only thing I need to protect that from theft is the chambered .45 hollow point and their 7 little friends hanging from my shoulder.

Sent from my SR-71 using Tapatalk

SC Cheesehead
12-10-2012, 11:00 PM
Been there myself. Contacting your financial institution ASAP is the most important step, they'll work with you to resolve.

ctrlraven
12-11-2012, 07:17 AM
I keep all my receipts until they post on my account and then I shred them. A couple years ago I noticed a charge at a gas station I had not been to in 6 or 7 years and a pet store I had never been to. I contacted my credit union right away and then went in to fill a report out. The two charges were 21 mins apart and manually entered, being a local bank they knew there wasn't anyway I could of been at the second place because it's about an hour away from where the first charge took place. They canceled my card, gave me a new card on the spot and money was refunded a few days later.

Curless
12-11-2012, 07:24 AM
Good friend of mine had her identity stolen through her son buying video games online. Now she's totally screwed until they get it all straightened out. What a mess...

MMcactusflower
12-11-2012, 07:49 AM
Some years ago, I remember Am Ex sent me a Gold Card to use...and it was promptly compromised by some scoundrels...and several charges were registered in a couple of days. Am Ex folks called me to ask me about those charges and then took them off my card...and sent me a new card. They also made several calls to merchants and other officials to help with the situation.
I figured it was just because of the type of card but.......
about two years ago, my wife had the same thing happen with her Visa card...and the folks at Visa did exactly the same thing...very helpful and very reassuring to know that we were in 'good hands' in both instances.
It is a terrible feeling to have such things happen...and they do...even when you are very careful.
Damn SCOUNDRELS!