PDA

View Full Version : Commuter Car

Agent M79
12-16-2012, 03:00 PM
It's time to play: Time to acquire a commuter car!

First, and foremost: You don't have to give up the Marauder.

However, reality dictates that you can't use it as a daily driver.

The priority is economy. Economical to operate and maintain with an ample parts supply new, remanufactured, and surplus (unless it is a new model but will eventually be found in the local pick-a-part yard [hopefully not for lack of reliability]).

It can be new or used and it will be kept for its entire operational lifetime but not beyond the cost/benefit line where getting a 'new' commuter makes economical sense again.

Maintenance will primarily be DIY so ease of maintenance is a plus.

It need not be technically sophisticated with the latest of all possible gadgetry.

There is nobody to impress so if it is yawn-worthy or invisible in a moderately full parking lot, no big deal.

It's a commuter, so normally hauling 1 or 2 humans, sometimes groceries, and the occasionally a suitcase or two.

Primarily for maintained roads. It need not climb mountains or have 3 feet of ground clearance and an intake snorkel for fording rivers. It will see rain, snow, and other inclement weather but will likely stay home when authorities advise staying at home.

It need not set any land-speed records but it should be able to get out of it's own way or pass granny doing 5 under the speed limit without the knuckles getting white.

An active online community is a plus.

So what do you think?

Curless
12-16-2012, 03:10 PM
Chevy Cruise, I have about 5 friends that own them. If you get an ECO edition with a 6 speed manual at 70+ mph it will get over 37 mpg. They are only $19,500 OTD brand new!

Mr. Man
12-16-2012, 03:12 PM
Mazda MX-5

dohc324ci
12-16-2012, 03:21 PM
2006-2009 VW GTI or Jetta GLI 25mpg city 32 HWY - fun to drive and DSG trans is awesome. I purchased a 2006 2 door GTI and its loads of fun, kids and wife like driving in it and did I say its fun to drive? Even has lots of aftermarket I may just do a APR ECU tune and APR Corsa exhaust.

WhatsUpDOHC
12-16-2012, 04:38 PM
This wouldn't suck:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LX-SPORT-/300834408285?_trksid=p3984.m14 23.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&forcev4exp=true

Curless
12-16-2012, 04:44 PM
This wouldn't suck:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LX-SPORT-/300834408285?_trksid=p3984.m14 23.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&forcev4exp=true

That color is AWESOME!

slickster
12-16-2012, 04:59 PM
98 and up corolla up to 40 mpg and you cant kill them

TFB
12-16-2012, 05:03 PM
I don't work so I don't commute...

The wife's commuter is a '98 Grand Marquis with 55Kmi... Cost was $4500 2.5 years ago with at 33K mi(cash deal), and I've spent maybe $250(new battery & shocks) in maintenance and repairs in that time.. It did get a almost new set of tires a couple months ago, but I'd saved those from a car I resold & made a profit while keeping the tires...

I can buy a lot of gas each month for the payment you guys are making on you econoboxes, plus don't forget you have to buy gas for your vehicles as well...

WhatsUpDOHC
12-16-2012, 05:21 PM
Bingo!

You can't beat a well cared-for, GM/CV with decent miles (and not a "grandma" color combination) for a great, driveable, car.

Mark

MrBluGruv
12-16-2012, 05:22 PM
My LS1 F-body gets 28 highway. :D

Baaad GN
12-16-2012, 06:50 PM
I've bought maybe 3-4 new town cars over the years but I like large cars, so here recently need a car for my wife and I checked 10-15 cars, just could't beat what the were asking for a fusion, they were cheap and a nice car, I don't like little cars!!!!!! So I bought her an 2012 MKZ, that way I get to stay with Lincoln.
But at least drive and price one!

Spectragod
12-16-2012, 06:54 PM
My DD is a 08 Grand Marquis, 26 MPG on the highway, it is a bit less powerful than the Marauder though.

Marauderman
12-17-2012, 06:34 AM
It's time to play: Time to acquire a commuter car!

First, and foremost: You don't have to give up the Marauder.

However, reality dictates that you can't use it as a daily driver.

The priority is economy. Economical to operate and maintain with an ample parts supply new, remanufactured, and surplus (unless it is a new model but will eventually be found in the local pick-a-part yard [hopefully not for lack of reliability]).

It can be new or used and it will be kept for its entire operational lifetime but not beyond the cost/benefit line where getting a 'new' commuter makes economical sense again.

Maintenance will primarily be DIY so ease of maintenance is a plus.

It need not be technically sophisticated with the latest of all possible gadgetry.

There is nobody to impress so if it is yawn-worthy or invisible in a moderately full parking lot, no big deal.

It's a commuter, so normally hauling 1 or 2 humans, sometimes groceries, and the occasionally a suitcase or two.

Primarily for maintained roads. It need not climb mountains or have 3 feet of ground clearance and an intake snorkel for fording rivers. It will see rain, snow, and other inclement weather but will likely stay home when authorities advise staying at home.

It need not set any land-speed records but it should be able to get out of it's own way or pass granny doing 5 under the speed limit without the knuckles getting white.

An active online community is a plus.

So what do you think?

I don't work so I don't commute...

The wife's commuter is a '98 Grand Marquis with 55Kmi... Cost was $4500 2.5 years ago with at 33K mi(cash deal), and I've spent maybe $250(new battery & shocks) in maintenance and repairs in that time.. It did get a almost new set of tires a couple months ago, but I'd saved those from a car I resold & made a profit while keeping the tires...

I can buy a lot of gas each month for the payment you guys are making on you econoboxes, plus don't forget you have to buy gas for your vehicles as well...

Bingo!

You can't beat a well cared-for, GM/CV with decent miles (and not a "grandma" color combination) for a great, driveable, car.

Mark

My DD is a 08 Grand Marquis, 26 MPG on the highway, it is a bit less powerful than the Marauder though.

BINGO----BINGO--BINGO--- The correct answer has been spoken---

Dave---A crown Vic or GM is the route--I got a 2000 CV with 61K on the clock for under 5K...have put 20K mileage on her and only put new shocks and tires----gets 24-26 as my DD on the highways here---.......and of course the parts are plentaful for thses cars---------check around---there is one for sale near you just for you for sure-------

RoyLPita
12-17-2012, 06:42 AM
I'm looking into a Lincoln Mark VII. In Bill Blass trim, it should be better on mileage than my MM, takes regular, and holds a little more in the tank (22.1 gallons vs 20).

Agent M79
12-17-2012, 07:27 AM
Opting for a Panther, eh? Lets go with comparative low cost to acquire, maintain, and insure offsetting fuel costs. Ok.

I am partial to Town Cars. Think it costs more to maintain a TC than any other Panther?

SC Cheesehead
12-17-2012, 07:36 AM
I had a '96 Ranger I4 with a 5 speed that consistently knocked down 30 mpg on the highway. Traded it in with a 130K on the clock for a 2001 Ranger extended cab with a 4.0 V6. That was a great truck, too, but mileage wasn't nearly as good.

Bigdogjim
12-17-2012, 07:45 AM
Can't "play" becasue I don't fit in any so called commuter car's:lol:

But I do use an older ('95) F-150 as DD :) Sucks that it only get's 11MPG's.

I am shocked that Eric (Mr.Man) would be OK in a Mazda MX-5? Another big guy small car.

Merrill
12-17-2012, 09:42 AM
+ 1 on the Ford Ranger. 4 cyl, 5 speed trucks are affordable, easy to maintain,
good mileage. Always a plus to have a little truck for dump runs etc.

88LTDCV351
12-17-2012, 09:53 AM
I went with a 2012 Nissan Versa S but got the automatic transmission. Its a cheap little car with virtually no options (or at least I went with the most stripped down version). Gets good gas mileage too. Its slow but its saving gas and saving miles off of my Crown Vic and Marauder. The commute seems a lot less stressful now.

And even with the front seats all the way back, it has good rear leg room.

88LTDCV351
12-17-2012, 09:56 AM
I went with a 2012 Nissan Versa S but got the automatic transmission. Its a cheap little car with virtually no options (or at least I went with the most stripped down version). Gets good gas mileage too. Its slow but its saving gas and saving miles off of my Crown Vic and Marauder. The commute seems a lot less stressful now.

And even with the front seats all the way back, it has good rear leg room.

Its hard to believe that in just a few months I've already put over 5,000 miles on it! :)

Ozark Marauder
12-17-2012, 10:09 AM
http://media.caranddriver.com/images/media/269155/2009-ford-ranger-super-cab-4-door-photo-269219-s-1280x782.jpghttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LX-SPORT-/300834408285?_trksid=p3984.m14 23.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&forcev4exp=true#v4-42

Black Dynamite
12-17-2012, 11:54 AM
I bought a 95 Subaru Legacy about three years ago. 175k hard earned miles, but $400 and AWD you can't complain. I've had to spend only a little money on maintenance (tie rods, used tires, etc) and I had to replace the transmission (my fault, $400 lesson learned) but other than that it's been a rock solid car. By adding it to my insurance my rate went down by about $180/year. I get 26mpg in town or on the highway. There's a pretty good community on the net for Subies if you know to avoid the "Fast and Furious" types of boards. Too bad it's ugly as s**t....

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.482121504879.289674.614 579879&type=3

jimlam56
12-17-2012, 03:45 PM
Ford Focus ST.

Mr. Man
12-17-2012, 04:02 PM
Can't "play" becasue I don't fit in any so called commuter car's:lol:

But I do use an older ('95) F-150 as DD :) Sucks that it only get's 11MPG's.

I am shocked that Eric (Mr.Man) would be OK in a Mazda MX-5? Another big guy small car.
Well I picked the Mazda 'cause the OP said a cheap car to aquire that could be maintained inexpensively and would be fun to drive.

While used CV's and GM's are cheap and relatively cheap to maintain they are far from fun to drive, unless you drive cargo ships.