PDA

View Full Version : God. It was so difficult this morning:(

guspech750
12-17-2012, 05:15 AM
God. It was so difficult leaving my wife and scared 10 year old daughter this morning. Even though I leave for work at 5:15am, I always give them hugs and kisses. But this morning was easpecially difficult after what happened Friday. I also couldn't help but think of the other millions of parents and kids going through exactly the same thing last night ad this morning.
Usually I can take off work any day I want without issue. But today I am committed to finishing a lengthy job. It's one of the really rare days I can't take off work to take my daughter to school today. I am heart broken.

Just venting. Be safe everyone. Hug and love your families.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

sailsmen
12-17-2012, 05:21 AM
I know the feeling.
Statistics tells us schools are very safe. They are in greater danger getting to/from school.

MMcactusflower
12-17-2012, 06:59 AM
After being in university academia for many years...and having a wife who was a public school principal, I can assure you that schools are a very safe place and that everyone's efforts are directed every day to make them a better environment for learning and growing.
That said, it is very difficult to predict what happened in Connecticut...but we must do a better job at trying.
We must redouble our efforts to try to make sure that what we have seen in the last few years does not continue to occur in our places of learning.
Exactly how to do that...is the question of course, but we must explore this issue constantly while trying to develop additional ways to keep our learning environments as safe and as positive as we can.
God bless those survivors and victims of this tragedy last week and give them strength to, as the days and weeks pass by, move forward in hope and love.

rocky
12-17-2012, 07:15 AM
God. It was so difficult leaving my wife and scared 10 year old daughter this morning. Even though I leave for work at 5:15am, I always give them hugs and kisses. But this morning was easpecially difficult after what happened Friday. I also couldn't help but think of the other millions of parents and kids going through exactly the same thing last night ad this morning.
Usually I can take off work any day I want without issue. But today I am committed to finishing a lengthy job. It's one of the really rare days I can't take off work to take my daughter to school today. I am heart broken.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

I do the same with my little boys every morning and bout the same time, it was hard:(
Since my girlfriend and her little boy moved in she has been taking them to school...she's a middle school teacher. She just texted me that she hugged my 6yr old so tight he said "thats enough your choking me" lol

SC Cheesehead
12-17-2012, 07:41 AM
I don't get to hug mine for another 5 1/2 days, but you can bet they're in my thoughts and prayers.

Marauderjack
12-17-2012, 08:00 AM
After being in university academia for many years...and having a wife who was a public school principal, I can assure you that schools are a very safe place and that everyone's efforts are directed every day to make them a better environment for learning and growing.
That said, it is very difficult to predict what happened in Connecticut...but we must do a better job at trying.
We must redouble our efforts to try to make sure that what we have seen in the last few years does not continue to occur in our places of learning.
Exactly how to do that...is the question of course, but we must explore this issue constantly while trying to develop additional ways to keep our learning environments as safe and as positive as we can.
God bless those survivors and victims of this tragedy last week and give them strength to, as the days and weeks pass by, move forward in hope and love.

Very well stated sir!!:up:

Curless
12-17-2012, 08:09 AM
I don't have children..I have nephews, cousins, friend's children that I consider my own...I think about them constantly...I had to go to the grocery store (Meijer) Sat, as usual I am conceal carrying, hut this time I find myself constantly watching, checking out every single person I pass...its a very uncomfortable feeling. My wife went Christmas shopping and I kept expecting a phone call that something went wrong. We both are carrying at all times now...not to say we could stop or prevent a situation from happening but we refuse to be sheep.

God bless all of you who have children, may this type of tragedy never happen to you.

CWright
12-17-2012, 08:12 AM
My wife teaches 3rd grade where my kids attend school and I'm glad they are out for the Christmas holidays.

marauder21
12-17-2012, 08:13 AM

Sent from my iPhone 4S

don't worry Joe your daughter is the sweetest ever! I'm sure there is no way possible anyone would harm Your family. But it was crazy this morning though, I did hug my sister and mom before I left for school. And I even got up at 430am to hug my dad who was about to leave for work. You just never know what might happen these days...be safe everyone.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

ajdereicup
12-17-2012, 08:25 AM
This world is a messed up place. But according to the history books at least its safer then it used to. But still its uncomforting hearing about anything like that happening. Just try and take comfort in that schools are actually some of the safest places and take extra time to appreciate your family each day

Vortex
12-17-2012, 08:52 AM
I dont have kids but recent events are like a punch to the guts.

WhatsUpDOHC
12-17-2012, 09:15 AM
I put my 8 y/o son on the bus today. It was harder than I thought it would be.

IwantmyMMnow!
12-17-2012, 10:51 AM
I had to go through this yesterday at 5pm when it was time to give them back to their mother.

I, too, have the fear of hearing from her that something bad has happened.

Not being with them every day is a bit tougher now than in the past, but I also feel a bit guilty; I know I will see them again, much unlike the parents in CT that will never see their children again.

tbone
12-17-2012, 11:26 AM
My wife teaches 3rd, 4th and 5th grade special students in a school that has K through 5. She texted me that the anxiety level there this morning is very, very high.

1 Bad Merc
12-17-2012, 04:32 PM
Just heard from a friend that Oswego school district (I believe) received some threats regarding 12/21. No one is sure they are real (local school district) but thinking of keeping my kids home from school that day but then they would miss their Christmas party.

This event has me jumpy and not sure what to do.

I know this morning it was hard and my wife drove the little one to school and I took my older son Berkley to school this morning instead of letting him catch the bus.

ajdereicup
12-17-2012, 07:08 PM
^^^My school received a few threats while I was in it. They took them seriously and had us do drills to be prepared as much as possible. Anyone know if that school had anything like that in place? Its sad that it has to come to that training children to be ready for if something like that happens but if it helps prevent things like this it may be a good idea. We had "soft lockdowns" were the teachers just locked the doors and continued teaching if they're was someone suspicious outside of the building or in the area and IIRC inside but not doing anything really suspicious yet. And we had "hard lockdowns" incase something really bad was going on. They'd turn off the lights in the rooms with the doors locked and have everyone go stand in the corner away from the line of sight of the door. And of course we had the evacuations for if there was a bomb threat they though was serious enough to really happen right away. They'd march the WHOLE school down the street to the college. Granted we were highschoolers so we were more able to follow the directions as told if a situation arised but younger kids should have things like that in place just use different words to keep them distracted from the real stuff like say they're playing a game

guspech750
12-17-2012, 07:29 PM
So glad today is over. So happy to be home with my family.

But stll sadened by Fridays events.

sailsmen
12-17-2012, 09:31 PM
Remember fire extinguishers can be effective and so can wasp spray.

All schools have fire extinguishers.

After Katrina I bought a bunch of large fire extinguishers and handed them out to people who were working and living in less than secure areas.