PDA

View Full Version : Tired of a puny 281 CID V8?

Joe Walsh
12-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Many of us spend a lot of time and money modding our "tiny" DOHC V8s for maximum HP.
Wouldn't it be nice to drop a 1,005 CID....2150 HP N/A V8 under the Marauder's hood!?......:bows:

That's ONLY 16.5 Liters!!!

http://www.sonnysracingengines.com/engines/sar-1005-2150-hp-new-for-2012

Only 2 problems:
You have to send Sonny Bryant Racing Engines a check for $110,000 dollars.....
and then you have keep putting HUGE amounts of gas in the tank to feed that beast!.....:eek:

might have some hood clearance issues too.

BTW: He does have a 727 CID - 1275 HP N/A V8 for half that price for the budget minded enthusiast.

screamn
12-18-2012, 12:12 PM
I say if one can afford it....go for it!

Way too much $$$$$$, aka dinero, for my budget but more cu inches and h power always fetch pretty pennies.....dollars

Mr. Man
12-18-2012, 12:15 PM
Many of us spend a lot of time and money modding our "tiny" DOHC V8s for maximum HP.
Wouldn't it be nice to drop a 1,005 CID....2150 HP N/A V8 under the Marauder's hood!?......:bows:

That's ONLY 16.5 Liters!!!

http://www.sonnysracingengines.com/engines/sar-1005-2150-hp-new-for-2012

Only 2 problems:
You have to send Sonny Bryant Racing Engines a check for $110,000 dollars.....
and then you have keep putting HUGE amounts of gas in the tank to feed that beast!.....:eek:

might have some hood clearance issues too.

BTW: He does have a 727 CID - 1275 HP N/A V8 for half that price for the budget minded enthusiast.
Someone's been watching Australian Youtube :P

Joe Walsh
12-18-2012, 12:35 PM
Someone's been watching Australian Youtube :P

Nope....HotRod's "RoadKill" TV show.

Where they went to Australia and drove a Holden (GTO) with a Sonny Bryant 727 CID V8.

Mr. Man
12-18-2012, 01:13 PM
Nope....HotRod's "RoadKill" TV show.

Where they went to Australia and drove a Holden (GTO) with a Sonny Bryant 727 CID V8.
That Green thing is a monster. Kind of looks like a Vega but it's an Aussie thing.

I think we should send Doomie down there to show them how it's done. ;)

Shaijack
12-18-2012, 08:24 PM
Members/friends here should help you by donating to your engine fund. I will give $5.00.

MrBluGruv
12-18-2012, 08:30 PM
This motor shall do nicely to power my newly-christened personal aircraft carrier. :)

SC Cheesehead
12-18-2012, 09:49 PM
Like my Uncle Heinrich used to say, "Es gibt keine Ersetzung für eine viele Litermaschine."

:burn:

WhatsUpDOHC
12-19-2012, 05:40 AM
Like my Uncle Heinrich used to say, "Es gibt keine Ersetzung für eine viele Litermaschine."

:burn:
Good Ol' Uncle Heinrich. :beer:
(Loose translation: There is no substitute for cubic inches.)

SC Cheesehead
12-19-2012, 05:53 AM
Good Ol' Uncle Heinrich. :beer:
(Loose translation: There is no substitute for cubic inches.)

Dies ist wahr! :D

ajdereicup
12-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Very very nice. I went to this performance expo at a resort around here last year (sadly missed it this year) but there was a shop there displaying monster engines like that (none that large) with monster price tags

88LTDCV351
12-19-2012, 11:25 AM
The good old American V8 used to have such a reputation for power and reliability. And then there were the great 60s and early 70s muscle cars and big block cop cars. But then Smog slowed everyone down.

Unfortunately, I wasn't born until after the american muscle car days. Throughout my lifetime I still occassionaly ran into folks who still appreciated a V8 even when I was driving a slow 150 HP LTD Crown Vic LX but most started to gravitate to the smaller faster imports or even domestics with V6s V4s. If anyone wanted a V8, its was always a BMW or Mercedes. But it seemed that as the V8 got neglected by Detroit, and Detroit and the non-domestic auto companies seemed to concentrate on improving thier V4s and V6s. At that point, many V6s began to become more powerful than thier arthritic V8 counterparts. I often wondered what if the large V8s were not neglected during those days? Would they not have been such gas hogs and polluters but produced such low horsepower as a result? (So why buy a weak gas hog V8 if there is a more effiecient more powerful V6?)

But I think what we have seen with the Mustang in the mid nineties to the present, a resurgence of the V8 and what it can really do. In the end, it still seems there is no replacement for displacement. Put a turbo on a V6? Put an equivalent turbo on a V8 and then were are you? At some point, the power to weight is going to always put the V8 or larger back on top. But I'm afraid its too late and that the V8 in a mainstream automobile will go the way of the do-do bird or become unaffordable to an average Joe someday. The Mustang and Dodge Chargers are hanging on for now but for how long?

Just my two cents.

MrBluGruv
12-19-2012, 05:07 PM
The good old American V8 used to have such a reputation for power and reliability. And then there were the great 60s and early 70s muscle cars and big block cop cars. But then Smog slowed everyone down.

Unfortunately, I wasn't born until after the american muscle car days. Throughout my lifetime I still occassionaly ran into folks who still appreciated a V8 even when I was driving a slow 150 HP LTD Crown Vic LX but most started to gravitate to the smaller faster imports or even domestics with V6s V4s. If anyone wanted a V8, its was always a BMW or Mercedes. But it seemed that as the V8 got neglected by Detroit, and Detroit and the non-domestic auto companies seemed to concentrate on improving thier V4s and V6s. At that point, many V6s began to become more powerful than thier arthritic V8 counterparts. I often wondered what if the large V8s were not neglected during those days? Would they not have been such gas hogs and polluters but produced such low horsepower as a result? (So why buy a weak gas hog V8 if there is a more effiecient more powerful V6?)

But I think what we have seen with the Mustang in the mid nineties to the present, a resurgence of the V8 and what it can really do. In the end, it still seems there is no replacement for displacement. Put a turbo on a V6? Put an equivalent turbo on a V8 and then were are you? At some point, the power to weight is going to always put the V8 or larger back on top. But I'm afraid its too late and that the V8 in a mainstream automobile will go the way of the do-do bird or become unaffordable to an average Joe someday. The Mustang and Dodge Chargers are hanging on for now but for how long?

Just my two cents.

Actually, I'd say this is the golden era of the V8, right here and now. Even better than the '60's actually, as the change from SAE gross to SAE net ratings probably puts these modern-day motors at better power-per-liter numbers than the old motors once the old ones have been adjusted to the modern system of ratings.

The big 3 each have at least one weapon in the V8 arsenal; Ford has the VCT DOHC V8s, Chevy as always has the LS (STILL with pushrod design...), and Dodge just makes big-assed motors (that 392 is huge). In the economy-power segment, yeh turbo is coming on strong, but the market for raw power V8s is still very much alive and kicking.

Frankly, we're reaching the threshold of TOO MUCH power in some respects; seriously, what can you do with a 650HP GT500 or a 640HP Viper besides spin the tires or race at speeds FAR beyond the posted speed limit? Unless you can invest frequently in DOT-approved street slicks, light-to-light digs aren't the same as they used to be. :depress:

I will agree with you on one thing though: the price. Good grief are performance cars expensive! Admittedly, the cost of almost every car but the smallest of the small has also skyrocketed, but it's fairly difficult to even consider a car like a new 5.0 or a new Camaro SS these days.

88LTDCV351
12-19-2012, 05:11 PM
I seems like to me though that the 5.0 and 5.8 for the Mustang will be out of most casual Mustang buyers price range. Only the well off financially, enthusiast now can probably get one, no?