PDA

View Full Version : Unbelieveable --- $8.00 per Gallon

Bluerauder
12-28-2012, 06:43 AM
Not gasoline. This time it is the price of Milk. The Fiscal Cliff has the potential to increase the price of Milk from $3.53 now to somewhere in the $6.00 to $8.00 range. If the Farm Subsidy expires, the price of Milk will climb drastically. Expect lots of associated items to go up as well. :(

I can't believe that Congress and the Pres are still going back and forth over this issue. What F'n morons on all sides of this problem. Despite all the rhetoric, none of them give one's Rat's Azz about the American public or the impact on American families.

Here is the change is some basic commodities over the past 10+ years. Milk has actually held pretty low on inflation probably because of the farm subsidy.

Jan-02 Nov-12 Change
Gas Reg U/L 1 gal $1.14 $3.49 206.1%
Coffee, 1 lb $2.93 $6.06 106.8%
Eggs, 1 doz $0.97 $1.96 102.1%
Ground Beef, 1 lb $2.15 $3.46 60.9%
Electric, 1 KWH $0.09 $0.13 42.7%
Chicken, 1 lb $1.09 $1.51 38.5%
Milk, 1 gal $2.81 $3.53 25.6%

Ozark Marauder
12-28-2012, 06:49 AM
It's all about the debasing of our currency, and all the money printing by you know who........and I agree with your statement, "none of them give one's Rat's Azz about the American public or the impact on American families."

OZ

Mebot
12-28-2012, 07:01 AM
invest in a goat. Keep him in the backyard. Voila! fresh goat milk, plus cheese and he'll be a natural composter too

martyo
12-28-2012, 07:09 AM
Milk has actually held pretty low on inflation probably because of the farm subsidy.

We all complain about government spending until it affects something we want or need (food, health, safety, transport -- pick your poison).

SC Cheesehead
12-28-2012, 07:34 AM
Not gasoline. This time it is the price of Milk. The Fiscal Cliff has the potential to increase the price of Milk from $3.53 now to somewhere in the $6.00 to $8.00 range. If the Farm Subsidy expires, the price of Milk will climb drastically. Expect lots of associated items to go up as well. :(

I can't believe that Congress and the Pres are still going back and forth over this issue. What F'n morons on all sides of this problem. Despite all the rhetoric, none of them give one's Rat's Azz about the American public or the impact on American families.

Here is the change is some basic commodities over the past 10+ years. Milk has actually held pretty low on inflation probably because of the farm subsidy.

Jan-02 Nov-12 Change
Gas Reg U/L 1 gal $1.14 $3.49 206.1%
Coffee, 1 lb $2.93 $6.06 106.8%
Eggs, 1 doz $0.97 $1.96 102.1%
Ground Beef, 1 lb $2.15 $3.46 60.9%
Electric, 1 KWH $0.09 $0.13 42.7%
Chicken, 1 lb $1.09 $1.51 38.5%
Milk, 1 gal $2.81 $3.53 25.6%

Actually, the milk subsidy has hurt dairy farming to a large extent. Prices paid to farmers per 100 weight of milk hasn't changed much over the past 30 years, and on top of it, the government instituted a $0.50 per 100 weight check-off a few years back to offset the subsidy and to serve as a disincentive for farmers, i.e., the more milk produced, the greater the check-off "penalty" paid. Guess how well that worked out? My friend and his dad used to milk a herd of 30 cows twice a day, he and his son are now milking 200+ on a three times per day basis to make up for the lost revenue and profit squeeze (like I said, price per 100 weight hasn't changed much, but cost of feed has skyrocketed).

Gotta love gov't programs that try to manage economics... :shake:

rocky
12-28-2012, 07:37 AM
Keep gas low and milk high. I own a MM and I'm lactose intolerant so it works out fine for me lol

RacerX
12-28-2012, 07:41 AM
Get rid of the farm animals and build a micro-brewery! :D Either that or help the government with Soilent Green supply! :lol:

Agent M79
12-28-2012, 08:09 AM
The subsidy comes from... where? I actually don't know.

I assume from people who pay taxes. If that is right and the subsidy expires, do the people who pay taxes no longer pay the subsidy or is the moneys collected and previously earmarked for the subsidy get diverted elsewhere?

If the subsidy expires and milk prices shoot up, will that be forever or will the industry adjust, remain (or become more) competitive and bring the price back down?

Is this subsidy and others artificially propping an industry long overdue for a change? Were the subsidies meant to be forever or just to get past a rough patch but became permanent as many temporary government stuff tends to?

Because I do go to the store in my Marauder and buy milk and transport it home in said same Marauder, is this technically a Marauder thread? And because we know where milk comes from, may I just say: Boobies.

Vortex
12-28-2012, 08:25 AM
Now here is one of those things that illustrates who really gets government welfare. Dairy subsidies are a great example of a free government handout to large corporations (dont fall for their pr about small Mom and Pop dairies). End these freebies to corporate agribusiness and yes, the price of milk may go up for a while but in a free market more farmers will then drive the price down. If you want to save even more wasted tax dollars, after ending dairy subsidies then stop all support for ethanol (actually just more free money to Archer Daniels Midland). Soon you will start seeing those bogus commercials for dairy subsidies just like that old couple whining about the possibility of raising taxes on dividends (the horror!) all over tv right now.

Krytin
12-28-2012, 08:32 AM
Now here is one of those things that illustrates who really gets government welfare. Dairy subsidies are a great example of a free government handout to large corporations (dont fall for their pr about small Mom and Pop dairies). End these freebies to corporate agribusiness and yes, the price of milk may go up for a while but in a free market more farmers will then drive the price down. If you want to save even more wasted tax dollars, after ending dairy subsidies then stop all support for ethanol (actually just more free money to Archer Daniels Midland). Soon you will start seeing those bogus commercials for dairy subsidies just like that old couple whining about the possibility of raising taxes on dividends (the horror!) all over tv right now.

+1 on that^^^!

SC Cheesehead
12-28-2012, 12:14 PM

FWIW, 85 -90% of Wisconsin dairy farms fall into that category... :cool:

But I totally agree with you, Jim, subsidies artifically drive the market. End the subsidies, let market forces drive pricing and things will fall into line. Also BIG +1 on ethanol subsidies; absolute joke, propping up a product with very questionable "green" contributions. :shake:

tallpaul
12-28-2012, 01:59 PM
Get rid of the farm animals and build a micro-brewery! :D Either that or help the government with Soilent Green supply! :lol:

:stupid: as long as the price of beer and chips stay the same I will some how survive.

sailsmen
12-28-2012, 02:01 PM
Per the WSJ 75% of the money the Fed Gov't borrowed last year was printed by the Fed Reserve because no one in the World would loan us the money at the terms we wanted. We are over the cliff, now it's a matter of Gov't wanting the tax payer, and those who don't pay taxes, to pay even more so the Federal Gov't can continue to grow at 9% per year so that it equals 100% of GDP in 20 years.
With 33.33% of our Population on means tested Welfare representing the single largest Budget item, larger than Defense, SS or Medicare I would not loan us any money either. I can hear the Banker after listening to my Proposal - "You want me to loan you money so you can pay 33.33% of your people to not work or to work less?"
Much of the increase in Gas is due o the devaluation of the Dollar, Oil is only traded in Dollars.

Vortex
12-28-2012, 08:57 PM
An interesting website that shows where our agribusiness subsidies go:

http://farm.ewg.org/index.php

Bigdogjim
12-28-2012, 09:36 PM
Sometime you got to tear the system apart and just re-build it.

Maybe now is a good time to do just that!

Mr. Man
12-29-2012, 12:09 PM
We had our chance in Nov. to change the system and we voted on large for the same dummies to come back. 8 dollar milk? We can only blame ourselves.

Shaijack
12-29-2012, 06:58 PM
I am in WI now. I am looking to buy a dairy farm. Get cheap milk from me. Next I want a gas station.

martyo
12-29-2012, 07:09 PM
I am in WI now. I am looking to buy a dairy farm. Get cheap milk from me. Next I want a gas station.

Where's my cheese?????

Mr. Man
12-29-2012, 10:39 PM
Where's my cheese?????Have you looked between your toes?.............:rolleyes::D

martyo
12-30-2012, 06:56 AM
Have you looked between your toes?.............:rolleyes::D

yummmmmmmmmmmm

finster101
12-30-2012, 07:14 AM
invest in a goat. Keep him in the backyard. Voila! fresh goat milk, plus cheese and he'll be a natural composter too

I don't think you will care much for the "milk" HE will give you. :lol:

martyo
12-30-2012, 07:20 AM

Tru dat!!!!!!!

Haggis
12-30-2012, 08:01 AM

Maybe Mebot likes male goat milk? :dunno:

Mebot
12-30-2012, 10:18 AM
negative

Sent from my handheld Zack Morris iShoe 4S.

HiHoSilver
12-30-2012, 10:29 AM
I don't believe it until i see it. And there is nothing I personally can do about it. So I don't worry about it.

kernie
12-30-2012, 10:38 AM
I don't believe it until i see it. And there is nothing I personally can do about it. So I don't worry about it.

I don't believe the $8.00 hype either, here it's about $5.00- 6.00 per 4 litres of 1%{more than a gallon} I have bought it for $4.00 on sale, i don't think there are any subsidies. I do know my relatives in border cities {Sarnia-Pt. Huron}hop over the border for gas and groceries so think of it as cutting off the handouts to the Canadian shoppers.

See, a silver lining!

:beer:

cat in the hat
12-31-2012, 05:44 AM
I get tired of hearing that the sky is falling.

sailsmen
12-31-2012, 08:15 AM
Forbes 2-6-12 Charles Kadlec
The Federal Reserve's Explicit Goal: Devalue The Dollar 33%

The Federal Reserve Open Market Committee (FOMC) has made it official: After its latest two day meeting, it announced its goal to devalue the dollar by 33% over the next 20 years. The debauch of the dollar will be even greater if the Fed exceeds its goal of a 2 percent per year increase in the price level.

An increase in the price level of 2% in any one year is barely noticeable. Under a gold standard, such an increase was uncommon, but not unknown. The difference is that when the dollar was as good as gold, the years of modest inflation would be followed, in time, by declining prices. As a consequence, over longer periods of time, the price level was unchanged. A dollar 20 years hence was still worth a dollar.

But, an increase of 2% a year over a period of 20 years will lead to a 50% increase in the price level. It will take 150 (2032) dollars to purchase the same basket of goods 100 (2012) dollars can buy today. What will be called the “dollar” in 2032 will be worth one-third less (100/150) than what we call a dollar today.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/charleskadlec/2012/02/06/the-federal-reserves-explicit-goal-devalue-the-dollar-33/

sailsmen
12-31-2012, 08:32 AM
Over the years I have read dozens of CBO, OMB, IMF and BLS reports. If you have an understanding of math at the 8th grade level you can comprehend the reports.
I suggest reading several OMB reports on the Budget and this IMF report;
http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/scr/2009/cr09229.pdf

Former Tres Sec Rubin, appointed by Pres Clinton, states - "The United States faces projected 10-year federal budget deficits that seriously threaten its bond market, exchange rate, economy, and the economic future of every American worker and family. " -"The commission also found that no economy anywhere in the world had been successful with largely state-directed activities and high walls against global integration.
The evidence, in other words, strongly suggests that a market-based model is still the best way forward. ", (Rubin wrote in NewsWeek, 12-29-09)

The "sky is not falling". You can only spend what you don't have for a finite amount of time. With 75% of Fed borrowing printed by the Fed Reserve last year we have reached that finite point. At current growth rates Fed spending will equal 100% of GDP in ~20 years, then what?

HiHoSilver
12-31-2012, 09:06 AM
I don't see the point in stressing about it. Nothing you, or I can do to change things at the present moment.

sailsmen
12-31-2012, 09:32 AM
There are reasonable steps you can take to mitigate the impact. Knowledge is power.

HiHoSilver
12-31-2012, 09:34 AM
Sooo.. stock up on milk? lol sorry I have better things to worry about.