PDA

View Full Version : Own a Fusion? Need feedback.

Vortech347
12-31-2012, 12:14 PM
With a little one on the way the wife and I decided we need to get rid of our ZX5. Its been a good car for the year we have had it but its a little "rough" cosmetically. Its a great commuter car but its time to get her something that is nicer/safer.

Specifically I'm looking at 2010-2011. They have the newer 6-speed trans and hoping to get an SEL with the 4 cylinder. I wouldn't mind a V6 but since its my wife's primary commuter car and she already has the Terminator, gas mpg has a priority. Leather is mandatory because of its ease of cleaning.

What have you seen MPG wise with the I4 or 3.0 V6.

We are hoping to stay around 14-16k in price range. Looks like we should be able to find something in the 20-30k mile range.

Bluerauder
12-31-2012, 12:17 PM
With a little one on the way the wife and I decided we need to get rid of our ZX5. Its been a good car for the year we have had it but its a little "rough" cosmetically. Its a great commuter car but its time to get her something that is nicer/safer now that we have a baby in the driver pits.

Specifically I'm looking at 2010-2011. They have the newer 6-speed trans and hoping to get an SEL with the 4 cylinder. I wouldn't mind a V6 but since its my wife's primary commuter car and she already has the Terminator when she wants to drive crazy. Leather is mandatory because of its ease of cleaning.

What have you seen MPG wise with the I4 or 3.0 V6.

We are hoping to stay around 14-16k in price range. Looks like we should be able to find something in the 20-30k mile range.

Blackened300a had a 2010 Black Fusion and just swapped it for an Edge. Hammerdown has a Candy Red one as a DD. They might be able to provide some info. I was even considering a Fusion last year; but opted to go for the Taurus just for the room and size.

Vortech347
12-31-2012, 12:20 PM
Forgot to add, any model specific issues other than regulator maintenance?

loud2004marquis
12-31-2012, 02:57 PM
My wife got a 2011 Fusion 3.0 V6 last may. After test drives with the 4cly, 3.0 and the 3.5 Sport, I would recommend the 3.0 V6. We both love it, very peppy when you need it. I'm not sure if gas mileage is really that big of a difference from the 4cyl. but overall I would opt for the V6 IMHO. One thing that's annoying is lag in accelerating from a stop.

Shes at 21,000 miles now and we have the 3yr. 36,000 mile warranty. Next year after the warranty is up, we're going to put on a CAI and a tune. People on the Fusion forums seem happy with getting rid of the lag and some of the weird trans shift schedules from the factory via a SCT handheld. On cold morning driving before the car is at operating temp. the trans seems to jerk from first to second rather quick. This is consistent with the three enginge options.

All that said, its been a great car and we are very pleased with it.

RubberCtyRauder
12-31-2012, 03:31 PM
Two co-workers have Fusions..one is older..2006 I think with v6 and has 200,000 miles on it..she drives like 49 miles each way to work with it..and the other he just got it for his wife..a 2012, 4 cylinder and I know it is getting good gas mileage...i dont know numbers for sure, but I wanna say 27-37 mpg.he has a 2009 escape too. Sorry, that I don't have more info

SpartaPerformance
12-31-2012, 04:41 PM
I have a 2012 SEL 4cyl and the MPG is great but power is not. They are very reliable cars and I have not seen any common major malfunctions but I always recommend buying a premiumcare ESP for long term ownership regardless what make or model Ford GM Nissan etc... parts on any car are retarded these days. Go FACTORY warranty only not that aftermarket crap they really don't save you any money and go for PREMIUMCARE over 500+ covered parts.

Green96
12-31-2012, 05:08 PM
We had an 06 (3.0L). So much has changed since that model my input may not be relevant. We had 3 issues. First, the brakes started pulsing around 30K. changed to power slot rotors, pulsation came back around 60K. Second, The transmission started having intermittent hard shifts from 1-2 and maybe 2-3 (cannot remember for sure). Third, the steering wheel kept popping when we went over articulating bumps (entering the driveway, store parking lots....). Turned out it was the driver side inner tie rod end at 38K...then again at 45K...then again at 52K...and it needed it again at 60something when we traded it. I should note that I had a different brand of tie rod end put on each time.

My sister has an 07 (3.0L), no issues at all. Good luck.

RF Overlord
12-31-2012, 09:09 PM
If the 6-speed is the 6F35, be careful...they have been very problematic.

The 6F35 was a joint design between Ford and GM...for some reason the GM versions seem to be much better.

MarauderMike
01-01-2013, 11:33 AM
Currently have a 2012 SEL with the 4 cylinder. Just returned from my round trip to Tampa from Detroit and got just under 34mpg on the road. Around town the car does 26-28 mpg. It does lack the nice V-6 power but my 2009 MKZ with the 6 cylinder is only a 26 MPG highway car.
The one thing about the 4 cylinder is that if you stick your foot into it it is still respectable, I hate the shift patterns on the transmission but not something I'm going to deal with on a leased vehicle.
I was thouroughly impressed and going from Detroit to Tampa on 2.5 tanks of gas.
I'm now contemplating a Hybrid version for the MKZ replacement.

cat in the hat
01-01-2013, 01:24 PM
I had a Fusion for about two years through my job.

I put maybe 25k on it. It ran great, was completely dependable and never had any mechanical problems of any kind. Hard to tell how it was on gas because it was all city traffic, but it was ok.

I absolutely hated it. It was the most uncomfortable car I have ever had.
I could not wait to get rid of it. Imagine how hard it is to hate a free car . . .

Green96
01-01-2013, 06:20 PM
I absolutely hated it. It was the most uncomfortable car I have ever had.

I second the uncomfortable comment, but that is very subjective. The next person might love it for that reason only.

ImpalaSlayer
01-01-2013, 06:41 PM
i traded my 2012 5.0 in on a 2010 fusion and love it. mines an SE with out much frills but its a really nice car IMO. mine has a 4cyl and its pretty peppy, it surprised me, i dont feel like im going to get ran over when trying to merge. my MPG is right at about 30 overall average. itll do better if you really baby it but i drive it like an average person. i find it to be very comfortable with plenty of room. its very quiet going down the road with little to no road noise. it handles OK for a basic DD boring car. trunk space is pretty good, and the back seats fold forward for bigger objects. dosent really have any blind spots that i can think of (im just listing random things as they come to mind). mine has the 6 speaker sound sytem and it sounds pretty good, not as good as the shaker in the 5.0 but its better then most crappy factory systems.

over all i really like the car for a DD, it surprised me in alot of ways. i find it very comfortable to ride in, not as comfy as the 5.0 was but pretty close.

HammerDown
01-01-2013, 08:43 PM
Hi Matt!! Another opinion for your Fusion consideration:

We have a 2010 Fusion Sport with 45,000 miles, purchased in Sept 2009. We get great OTR mileage--29 and about 22-24 around town. Have had no problems except a leaky transmission hose, and with the low profile tires, a couple of flats from hitting ruts in the road.

Otherwise, we both LOVE the car--especially the heated seats in the winter....Good luck with your search.

Connie (HammerDown)
Jack (Fordfrk)

Vortech347
01-01-2013, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the info guys...

Looking at the specs the 10-11 model I4 will smoke the Focus we have now and she has been semi-ok with its power level. Now we just need to get to a dealer and drive one.

I'll let ya know what happens.

Mr. Man
01-01-2013, 10:53 PM
I transported a 2010 Sport a while back and thought it was nice. If I recall I was getting low 30's mpg highway. Only had it for a few hours but it was a nice car. Lot's of features and gizmo's to play with. I am a big guy and I thought it was roomier than the Taurus I drove shortly thereafter. Seats in both were about the same but the shoulder room in the Taurus was subjugated by the B-pillar for me and I had plenty of shoulder room in the Fusion. I know the Taurus is supposed to be bigger but I found the Fusion more drivable. JM2cents.

Bluerauder
01-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Seats in both were about the same but the shoulder room in the Taurus was subjugated by the B-pillar for me and I had plenty of shoulder room in the Fusion. I know the Taurus is supposed to be bigger but I found the Fusion more drivable. JM2cents.
Subjugated??? Nice word. Curious useage. ;)