PDA

View Full Version : had some fun a work today

ultravorx
03-02-2004, 09:23 PM
Well, finally some custom work at good ol' best buy. A kid wanted an xbox in his 96 beretta z26. So i modified a dash kit to accomodate an xbox dvd drive, power/eject buttons and 2 controller ports. The system came out sweet! He also wanted a radio, so i put it where his heater vents were above the xbox. The actually motherboard for the xbox is behind the glovebox, while the harddrive is below the dvd drive. I charger $400 for the work. Very cheap, but i just wanted to do some custom work!!! I made th dash kit out of bondo body filler, sandable primer, and black paint. im happy with the results!!!
Frank

TAF
03-02-2004, 09:35 PM
Nice job...

Didn't know we had such audio talent here...Hey...you wanna help me with Dynomat (ing) the entire trunk? Next project.

ultravorx
03-02-2004, 09:40 PM
Nice job...

Didn't know we had such audio talent here...Hey...you wanna help me with Dynomat (ing) the entire trunk? Next project.
sure, thats an easy job, i already did it to my rear deck. without dynomat, its so flimsy and "noisey" Just buy dynomat extreme, you just peel and stick. No heat is required.
Frank

TAF
03-02-2004, 09:45 PM
sure, thats an easy job, i already did it to my rear deck. without dynomat, its so flimsy and "noisey" Just buy dynomat extreme, you just peel and stick. No heat is required.
Frank
Yeah...it looks just like laying linolium tile in the 'ol trailer, here...right?

So tell me...I'm buying the Bulk Pak of the Dynomat X-treme which is 9 sheets = 36 square ft. I want to do the entire trunk, back deck, down and under the rear seat and both doors...

1 box or 2? Hopefully not more...

Your advice Frank?

SergntMac
03-02-2004, 09:49 PM
Nice custom work, I appreciate a creative mind facing a challenge heads up. Hope the customer is appreciates your effort too.

ultravorx
03-02-2004, 10:07 PM
Yeah...it looks just like laying linolium tile in the 'ol trailer, here...right?

So tell me...I'm buying the Bulk Pak of the Dynomat X-treme which is 9 sheets = 36 square ft. I want to do the entire trunk, back deck, down and under the rear seat and both doors...

1 box or 2? Hopefully not more...

Your advice Frank?
I would probably buy 2. You dont want to have your whole car ripped apart only to find your 3 pieces shy of finishing your job. plus if you dont even crack open the 2nd box, you can still return it. Just make sure you wear leather gloves, or use a roller to install it. if you do it barehanded like i do, you WILL slice your finger(s) open on the edge of the metal backing of the dynomat! it really hurts, its like a paper cut.
Frank

Bigdogjim
03-02-2004, 10:15 PM
Nice clean work!

Good show!

martyo
03-03-2004, 04:43 AM
Nice install Frank!

What exactly is an "ultravorx" anyway???

TAF
03-03-2004, 05:56 AM
Thanks Frank...MUCH appreciated!!!:up:

ultravorx
03-03-2004, 06:11 AM
Nice install Frank!

What exactly is an "ultravorx" anyway???
Ultravorx was a nickname i made in 1994 when i first got aol. It was a cross between the word ultra and vortex. Its just stuck with me thru the years!
Frank

woaface
03-03-2004, 07:22 AM
That reminds me, I was at Circuit City looking through CD players and one didn't quite fit. Dude says to me "Well, if it doesn't work, we can use stretchers to expand the dash and make it fit"

Sounds really wrong, what was he talking about?

A little off topic but exciting for me...I'm going to get a more expensive clarion unit from my brother and a single din compartment to fill the void space plus a wiring harness for under $200...I'm not sure of the exact unit number, but I'll let you know when I find out.

Nice work man! Looks fairly clean too...

ultravorx
03-03-2004, 04:47 PM
That reminds me, I was at Circuit City looking through CD players and one didn't quite fit. Dude says to me "Well, if it doesn't work, we can use stretchers to expand the dash and make it fit"

Sounds really wrong, what was he talking about?

A little off topic but exciting for me...I'm going to get a more expensive clarion unit from my brother and a single din compartment to fill the void space plus a wiring harness for under $200...I'm not sure of the exact unit number, but I'll let you know when I find out.

Nice work man! Looks fairly clean too...

There is a special dash kit used in the car to make it fit. The correct part number is 99-5802 made by metra,but i didnt need one since i did the custom one in mine and put the dvd player/radio where my heater controls were! The guy at circuit sounds very unprofessional to me.
Frank

jgc61sr2002
03-03-2004, 06:30 PM
Frank - Nice work. Looks great. :up:

woaface
03-03-2004, 06:37 PM
There is a special dash kit used in the car to make it fit. The correct part number is 99-5802 made by metra,but i didnt need one since i did the custom one in mine and put the dvd player/radio where my heater controls were! The guy at circuit sounds very unprofessional to me.
Frank
He was...they all are. I was talkin to one about car subs, and he asked what I was used to at home. I said "A 12 inch with a 500peak amp" He says "Man, that's nothin, you don't know what it's like.

Little does he know, I have about the best sub under $1000, only topped by a better one from the same company. It has UNBELIEVEABLE bass...smaller rooms you might go deaf...hehe...:up: