PDA

View Full Version : Mopar to Build 6.2L Supercharged HEMIs

ctrlraven
01-04-2013, 11:31 AM
Better step your game up DOOM!

http://www.streetlegaltv.com/news/leaked-mopar-to-build-6-2l-supercharged-hemis/

The rumor mill has been hard at work lately, giving us and all Mopar fans the hope that a new HEMI engine was in the works for Chrysler. Although rumors can go both ways, Allpar.com is reporting that long-time reliable Mopar source “oh2o” has confirmed that a supercharged 6.2L HEMI is in Chrysler’s near future.

While the cause of the reduction in size from the current 6.4L HEMI (392cui) to the future 6.2L HEMI is unknown, this doesn’t mean the engine will be any less potent.

According to Allpar, the 6.2L engine could boost power up to 540hp, putting it closer to the upcoming Camaro ZL1 and Mustang GT500’s powerhouses, although we speculate a supercharged Gen III HEMI could fare far better than 540HP, as the 7.0L all-aluminum HEMI (426cui) in Mopar’s catalog cranks out 540hp naturally-aspirated.

The future HEMI is set to be used in two cars of the large rear-drive variety. Although oh2o had no comment for Allpar in regards to a rumored future SRT Barracuda being one of those cars, an “insider” has come forward to the Mopar news source with rumors of just that.

According to thier source, the SRT Barracuda that is rumored to come 2015 could be the first car to get the new supercharged 6.2L HEMI followed by other SRT models. There is no word on what the rumored addition to the SRT family and Chrysler lineup is going to look like, although “insiders” have told Allpar that it won’t be as “true” to the original as the modern Challenger is to its predecessor.

Although Chrysler has only produced turbocharged engines to date, superchargers have long been favorite power-adders for their engineers. Long-term engine developer for Chrysler, Charles “Pete” Hagenbuch, who developed engines for the company from 1958 to 1987 once argued for the introduction of a supercharger to the Chrysler engine lineup on the 2.2L platform. Although unsuccessful at the time, it looks like Hagen buch’s dream of a supercharged Chrysler will finally happen.

boatmangc
01-04-2013, 11:39 AM
Barracuda, 6.2L S/C Hemi, there might be a Mopar in my future!
If it looks anything like the prototype photos I have seen I am online for one of these.

Limited360
01-04-2013, 11:46 AM
.... that sounds nasty is all I can say ....

breeze
01-04-2013, 12:46 PM
Ford better come out with the Interceptor!!!!

88LTDCV351
01-04-2013, 01:58 PM
Ford better come out with the Interceptor!!!!

I'll second that.

WhatsUpDOHC
01-04-2013, 02:45 PM
Be still, my beating heart. It had better have a pistol grip w/manual trans.

guspech750
01-04-2013, 02:49 PM
Leaving Ford to play catch up............ Again.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

MMcactusflower
01-04-2013, 03:11 PM
I am muchly excited to read about this situation...and even more excited to hear it is an AMERICAN car company still in the business (along with the other AMERICAN car companies) of producing this type of product. Who knows how long we might enjoy these rides...but I say keep them coming!

Marauderjack
01-04-2013, 03:45 PM
The V-6 "Ecoboost" stuff from FORD won't even be close!!:shake:

V-8's are "Muscle Car" POWER and that's just the way it is (was) so when is FORD gonna wake up......maybe never??:rolleyes:

The Mustangs are OK but too small and way too expensive!!:argue:

NEXT........;)

J-MAN
01-04-2013, 03:58 PM
Don't hemi's have a week lower end?

tallpaul
01-04-2013, 04:01 PM
Richard Petty are builds his Challengers with a supercharged hemi. You can get one for about 73k.

Joe Walsh
01-04-2013, 04:10 PM

V-8's are "Muscle Car" POWER and that's just the way it is (was) so when is FORD gonna wake up......maybe never??:rolleyes:

NEXT........;)

I have to disagree gents....

MOPAR and GM have to play catch up....... and will have to for awhile!

They have to come up with at least 662 HP S/C V8 that matches the Shelby's GT500!

Even a 5.0L GT engine with a simple bolt-on blower kit will crank out 550+ HP.

I'm looking forward to MOPAR putting some serious HP into ther HEMIs.....competition is always good for more HP!

Marauderjack
01-04-2013, 04:15 PM
Joe......it's a MUSTANG.....to small for most of ME!!:shake:

BTW......I sold my COBRA replica yesterday!!:beer:;)

Joe Walsh
01-04-2013, 04:21 PM
Joe......it's a MUSTANG.....to small for most of ME!!:shake:

LOL.....Yeah not a lot of legroom in the Mustangs....plus they are not very rare.

BTW......I sold my COBRA replica yesterday!!:beer:;)

HUH.....Why?

Marauderjack
01-04-2013, 04:23 PM
Quote: "HUH.....Why?"

Almost 13 years with it and still alive......figgered it was just time!!:geezer:

Smalldogg/03mm
01-04-2013, 04:24 PM
No what they say " let them built first and we will follow bigger and faster and better......

Antoine

Mr. Man
01-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Barracuda's are to be smaller than the Challengers they will replace thus tall fat guys might not fit much better than trying to squeeze into a 'stang or camaro. :shake:
Wonder if you can get a blower for the Hyundai Equus?:burnout:

RF Overlord
01-05-2013, 10:18 AM
If (God forbid) anything were to happen to The Blackbird, a Challenger...probably the SRT8 flavour...would be its replacement. Kudos to FIAT/Chrysler for continuing the musclecar tradition. BOO-HISS on everyone else.

Well alright...this friggen Hyundai Equus has me all out of sorts...385HP....RWD...who'd-a thunk it? Not that I would consider owning one, but you have to admit it's a step in the right direction.

bugsyc
01-05-2013, 02:13 PM
I was at the Ford dealer yesterday replacing the original battery....9 years and 85000 miles,I'd say the battery was due..I got a coupon for the exact replacement OEM battery for $89.95....They asked if I wanted it installed for $10...You know I did which eliminated the core charge and trip back for the core refund...Anyway,They had a supercharged Roush mustang there...WOW is all I can say..Totally off the hook.Looks fierce.562 RWHP straight out of the showroom..Ford has some big numbers also...Including the price...$60,000.....I'm too tall for a mustang anyway...;)

Mr. Man
01-05-2013, 07:25 PM
If (God forbid) anything were to happen to The Blackbird, a Challenger...probably the SRT8 flavour...would be its replacement. Kudos to FIAT/Chrysler for continuing the musclecar tradition. BOO-HISS on everyone else.

Well alright...this friggen Hyundai Equus has me all out of sorts...385HP....RWD...who'd-a thunk it? Not that I would consider owning one, but you have to admit it's a step in the right direction.
The 2012/3 Equus is like 429 hp 38? tq. 5.0l N/A.

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicles/2013/equus/? :)

DOOM
01-05-2013, 08:02 PM
I was at the Ford dealer yesterday replacing the original battery....9 years and 85000 miles,I'd say the battery was due..I got a coupon for the exact replacement OEM battery for $89.95....They asked if I wanted it installed for $10...You know I did which eliminated the core charge and trip back for the core refund...Anyway,They had a supercharged Roush mustang there...WOW is all I can say..Totally off the hook.Looks fierce.562 RWHP straight out of the showroom..Ford has some big numbers also...Including the price...$60,000.....I'm too tall for a mustang anyway...;)

That's there is the problem.

Chevy and Chrysler are playing catch up to the Shelby GT-500. 662HP in a car that's less than 60 grand! :banana2:

Problem is I can't fit in one! (Comfortably)

Ford needs to stop relying on the mustang! Put that motor and blower combo in another vehicle!!!!

Don't get me wrong! I love that Shelby! But I would love to see a Torino, falcon, or galaxie.

ChiTownMaraud3r
01-05-2013, 08:20 PM
I find it hard to believe someone cannot fit in a modern day Mustang. Its not the size of a smart car.. What are you guys 8ft tall? or just plain wider than taller?

Vortex
01-05-2013, 08:23 PM
From what I understand the current Challenger will go thru the 2014 year and thats it. Any new SRT Cuda/Challenger is going to be a much smaller car and look totally different from the one now. The days of largish high powered coupes (Challenger, Camaro and maybe the Mustang) are pretty much over, if you want one you had better jump soon. The future are cars like that Subaru/Scion coupe, thats whats coming down the line because of CAFE standards. These are the good old days.

MrBluGruv
01-05-2013, 08:40 PM

Sent from my iPhone 4S

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

NEXT........;)

I gotta disagree too, I think that the new VCT engines (3.7, 5.0) and EcoBoost ARE Ford catching up. In terms of power, pretty much since the LT1 went into the GM lineup, GM had a better car in every segment. Ford just couldn't beat the LT stock-for-stock, and ESPECIALLY the LS...until now. The Ford cars are pretty much the only domestic cars I can't pull outright in my 10 year old Camaro, and Dodge and even newer GM can't pull me. But seriously, it took Ford a LONG time to get to this point. That's just how the pendulum swings.

Personally, I'm waiting to see what the new GM Gen 5 small-blocks are gonna do; they've resurrected the LT1 name and given it direct injection, 450hp at 6.2 liter N/A, but hopefully that's just the start. To me this will be the defining moment of if GM can keep up or not.

The thing that bothers me about Dodge is that even IF they catch up, it's always only JUST catching up, and it tends to be that even when they do, it's right before Ford and/or GM make another stride forward. It's like they are perpetually behind the curve...

DOOM
01-05-2013, 08:44 PM
I find it hard to believe someone cannot fit in a modern day Mustang. Its not the size of a smart car.. What are you guys 8ft tall? or just plain wider than taller?

That's why I said comfortably.

Not the type of car I would want to take a 8-10 hour drive in.

Marauderjack
01-06-2013, 03:49 AM
$60K for an everyday car is just plain NUTSO!!:argue:

I almost had a stroke over the sticker price of the Marauder......got it down to around $28K but still the most expensive car I ever bought including my (just sold) '66 Cobra replica!!:cool:

How do folks afford these cars??:dunno:

71cyclone
01-06-2013, 08:24 AM
Don't hemi's have a week lower end?

Yes you are right / I recently drove a 2006 dodge charger with a 2010 5.7 hemi with a 6 speed -Manunal- slap stick TRANSPLANTED from a totaled out 2010 dodge challenger. the transplant had headers installed, X pipe ,magna flows ,Diablo dyno tune by a speed shop in Glen Burnie Maryland,The Dyno slip showed 375 Hp with 381 foot pounds of torque ,the car picked up horsepower from the manual tranny alone but compared to a modded marauder the Mercury is still the better bet . The Car had brute off the Line performance . But here again DOOM has proved that Chryslers are OVER rated on Chrysler literature and real time street performance. :beer:

Marauderjack
01-06-2013, 01:31 PM
......."450hp at 6.2 liter N/A"........

I guarantee this ain't no stinkin' V-6!!:shake:

From a corporate point of view these companies have to MAXIMIZE profits while MINIMIZING exposure (failures....warranty repairs......etc.) and the 4 cylinder "cracker box" SUV's and little cars are what sells to 95% of the buyers!!:cool:

We "Muscle Car Nuts" are a very distinct minority and account for very little corporate profit......IMHO!!:cool4:

88LTDCV351
01-06-2013, 01:41 PM
Ford needs to stop relying on the mustang! Put that motor and blower combo in another vehicle!!!!

Don't get me wrong! I love that Shelby! But I would love to see a Torino, falcon, or galaxie.

I would love to see that.

ChiTownMaraud3r
01-06-2013, 01:53 PM
I would love to see that.

Agreed.

I still don't see why Ford can't bring some of it's Aussie talent over here. Take the GT R Spec for example, put the steering wheel on the correct side and sell the crap out of it over here.

http://www.fpv.com.au

DOOM
01-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Agreed.

I still don't see why Ford can't bring some of it's Aussie talent over here. Take the GT R Spec for example, put the steering wheel on the correct side and sell the crap out of it over here.

http://www.fpv.com.au

That's exactly what I'm talkin' bout!

MADRODER
01-06-2013, 07:09 PM
Unless the new SRT8 Dodge's weigh less than 3800 lbs they can put what ever they want in those engine compartments as they're nothing but rolling tanks. Dollar for dollar the 2013 and up and coming 2014 1/2 Shelby Mustang's will be hard to beat.

2013 Shelby Mustang....3820 lbs with 650 hp ..PTW ratio of 0.170

2013 Challenger SRT8....4150 lbs with 470hp....PTW ratio of 0.113

and lets not forget the final drive ratios for each.....3.92 for the Dodge and 3.31 for the Shelby

71cyclone
01-06-2013, 09:28 PM
That's exactly what I'm talkin' bout!

Last year I met a Car Guy, from Australia and his comment about Cars back home was that " IF it ANT GOT a V8 we CAN'T USE IT !!!!:beer: The Falcon FX was his Favorite

hotford
01-06-2013, 11:13 PM
Who cares...when it comes out.if it does, Ford will not be using superchargers, they are shifting to eco boost and the new stang will have a turbo on it not a supercharger, The cobra Jet is leading the way Ford wants to go.....Dame they been playing with blowers since 03 where the F_CK has Dodge been.............

Odinson
01-06-2013, 11:18 PM
I think it's fair to say the Ford fans who would accept a mustang in place of a bigger car like the marauder have already bought the car or made plans.

Yes these folks are big. I'm 6'3" 260 and a shrimp next to some of them. I'm sure I can drive a mustang just fine so long I as I give the kids up for adoption and hire a good lawyer. It's a cop magnet.

The MKS would make a fine beater, but with twin turbos stock has no low hanging fruit. It ships tweaked out. Hell you can DOUBLE the power from stock on a Marauder block before you are at risk.

If you want a v8 full sized car ford has failed and will not look back.

It's looking like a truck or I'm going to have to get Cuban on the Marauder.

https://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=cuban+cars&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Too bad. Nothing sexier than a big, ugly, black, v8, ford fastback. I don't care it's not the fastest, at least I won't hit a pothole too fast and disintegrate.

MrBluGruv
01-06-2013, 11:42 PM
$60K for an everyday car is just plain NUTSO!!:argue:

I almost had a stroke over the sticker price of the Marauder......got it down to around $28K but still the most expensive car I ever bought including my (just sold) '66 Cobra replica!!:cool:

How do folks afford these cars??:dunno:

Totally agree here, it seems like some car prices are rising much faster than simple inflation should be able to account for...

......."450hp at 6.2 liter N/A"........

I guarantee this ain't no stinkin' V-6!!:shake:

From a corporate point of view these companies have to MAXIMIZE profits while MINIMIZING exposure (failures....warranty repairs......etc.) and the 4 cylinder "cracker box" SUV's and little cars are what sells to 95% of the buyers!!:cool:

We "Muscle Car Nuts" are a very distinct minority and account for very little corporate profit......IMHO!!:cool4:

The crazy thing is that the V6 engine lineup of today edges out the V8 lineup of 10 years ago with ease. The problem though lies with this:

Unless the new SRT8 Dodge's weigh less than 3800 lbs they can put what ever they want in those engine compartments as they're nothing but rolling tanks. Dollar for dollar the 2013 and up and coming 2014 1/2 Shelby Mustang's will be hard to beat.

and lets not forget the final drive ratios for each.....3.92 for the Dodge and 3.31 for the Shelby

Good lord these cars today are too freaking heavy! These weight numbers explain why I can pull my buddy's Challenger R/T M6 with 3.92 rear gear in my 10 year old LS1 Camaro with 3.42 rear gear. It's just frankly ridiculous, I think some of these cars today have actually exceeded the weight of the cars of yesteryear that people used to complain for being heavy boats....

I think it's fair to say the Ford fans who would accept a mustang in place of a bigger car like the marauder have already bought the car or made plans.

Yes these folks are big. I'm 6'3" 260 and a shrimp next to some of them. I'm sure I can drive a mustang just fine so long I as I give the kids up for adoption and hire a good lawyer. It's a cop magnet.

The MKS would make a fine beater, but with twin turbos stock has no low hanging fruit. It ships tweaked out. Hell you can DOUBLE the power from stock on a Marauder block before you are at risk.

If you want a v8 full sized car ford has failed and will not look back.

It's looking like a truck or I'm going to have to get Cuban on the Marauder.

https://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=cuban+cars&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Too bad. Nothing sexier than a big, ugly, black, v8, ford fastback. I don't care it's not the fastest, at least I won't hit a pothole too fast and disintegrate.

I've actually considered sometimes getting rid of the sports car in favor of a new 5.0 F-150. Loads of power, can load a ghost cam tune just for shiggles, but it can still be a cruiser that won't have people always hassling you to try to prove they are faster than you. Unfortunately, just as with new sports cars, the price of a freaking PICKUP TRUCK is crazy expensive. I just don't understand why starting MSRP on a TRUCK needs to be 22-23K.

Mebot
01-07-2013, 12:16 PM

That Shelby Mustang GT500 w/ the 650HP you are talking about though is like 50% more money than the Challenger. I think for 25% more money then spent on a new Shelby I can exceed that PTW figure by quite a bit. I suppose the Mustang would have been easier to upgrade (adding larger blower to a car already configured for forced induction is easier than adding a blower to a car configured to be naturally aspirated) but even then I think the cost of upgrading the Mustang would not be far less than upgrading the Challenger so I would still feel good about my purchase.

To play devil's advocate for a second; the Mustang makes its' power using a slightly smaller/lighter engine. It is I think a 5.8L. This lower displacement means highway and conservative driving produces better overall gas mileage than the Challenger is capable of reaching. This means the perceived TCO for the Mustang is lower. I'm not inclined to agree since I'm not sure how long it would take to drive the required number of miles for the few MPGs of difference between cars to surpass the extra 15-20 thousand dollars for the initial outlay on the car. That's a lot of gas.

I thought I saw somewhere too that they were planning to possibly to all aluminum for the engine which would reduce the weight of the car overall significantly. The cast iron block is attractive for strength but you pay for it in weight. I guess we'll see what MOPAR does.

I saw some talk that the 2012 Challengers (starting 2011 actually) were to get Electric power steering. I see it listed for the SE (SXT), Rallye and R/T models but not in the SRT. I wonder what that's all about. Visual inspection seems to confirm a belt-driven hydraulic pump situation in the Challenger so I guess they didn't make the same change for the new hemi. Since the SRT model is generally built on the same assembly line I would have thought it would share the same steering setup since it is more than Engine/transmission change, but also steering components (I assume) that are not interchangeable. Seems more expensive to produce this variation in only one model.

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2012/06/2014-challenger-or-barracuda-spotted
http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2012/06/6-2-hemi-update
http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2012/09/rehash-la-body-barracuda

jb513
01-07-2013, 08:09 PM

NEXT........;)
I've got to disaree as well. Nevermind the 2013 GT 500 gets 661 and the Boss gets 444HP but the new Raptors Power comes from a 6.2-liter SOHC V8 that produces 411 horsepower and 434 lb-ft of torque. A six-speed automatic sends power to all four wheels (four-wheel-drive is standard, as one would expect) and features a full manual mode that gives the driver complete control over gear selection - upshifts are not commanded at redline, and downshifts are allowed at the lowest gear possible as defined by the engine speed. There is a lot of technology packed into these "Eco Boost" engines and that tech can be applied to almost any engine in Fords stable. A twin turbo set up on a Coyote would be sweet! A small turbo that spools up fast and then a larger one that takes over is briliant!! No turbo lag!! I've driven the 2012 Edge with the 4 cylinder twin turbo set up and I'll tell you.. That thing flies!! Ford has nothing to worry about as far as thier engines. I think if anything someone should do something about thier brakes as these always seem to fall short.. That's just one mans opinion..BTW, it wasn't that long ago that a 5.0 Litre topped out at 225hp and we are now complaining about something getting 400HP. I'm loving this HP war!!

jb513
01-07-2013, 08:20 PM
Last year I met a Car Guy, from Australia and his comment about Cars back home was that " IF it ANT GOT a V8 we CAN'T USE IT !!!!:beer: The Falcon FX was his Favorite
Lets not forget that the Camero was based on an Australian car, the Holden. The ausies are known for sticking in the biggest engin they can find into one of thier cars and making a beast out of it. Nevermind that it can't turn worth a s*%t but it sure goes like hell in a sraight line!!

Micahdogg
01-09-2013, 08:41 AM

My 3.8L V6 t-bird makes 433 RWHP and 424 RWT. That's pretty much the same HP and a lot more torque than a 2013 ZO6 Vette (7.0L 429 V8). You don't need lots of cubes anymore.

All that aside, this is great news. The Challenger is one of the best looking cars out there - granted they are complete turds. This should help in that dept.

CBT
01-09-2013, 09:12 AM
I am muchly excited to read about this situation...and even more excited to hear it is an AMERICAN car company still in the business (along with the other AMERICAN car companies) of producing this type of product. Who knows how long we might enjoy these rides...but I say keep them coming!

If i'm not mistaken, they are built in Canada, like the Marauders were.

Micahdogg
01-09-2013, 09:36 AM
OH for those who didn't know, the current Challenger is based off the 4 door Charger. They sectioned that car to make it a 2 door, but added in a lot of metal to brace it back up. That is why they are overweight pigs. It still doesn't explain why 420HP can only propel it to a 13.7....there must be some gnome in the drivetrain that is just eating HP up. Or maybe the ECU applies brakes at WOT? :)

MrBluGruv
01-09-2013, 10:32 AM
OH for those who didn't know, the current Challenger is based off the 4 door Charger. They sectioned that car to make it a 2 door, but added in a lot of metal to brace it back up. That is why they are overweight pigs. It still doesn't explain why 420HP can only propel it to a 13.7....there must be some gnome in the drivetrain that is just eating HP up. Or maybe the ECU applies brakes at WOT? :)

That's kinda bad for an SRT/8 model actually, I had thought most 6.1 models around that power number ran 13.2-13.3?

Either way, 4100 is seriously a **** load of weight to move. Why do you think a 300hp Marauder takes 15 seconds to get down the strip stock?

88LTDCV351
01-09-2013, 10:47 AM

The Mustang and F150 are great and all but what about those of us that want a larger sedan car (with a decent size trunk that you can actually see over from the driver seat - beltline) that also has power with a decent price tag (and also wont have to worry about having the same kind of car as the brat high school kids that pull up next to you)? The Charger (and 300) my brother-in-law has fits the bill and its fast and getting faster. Gets decent gas mileage because its updated technology and trans compared to the old 4.6s that were in the Crown Vics/Grand Marquis that were left to die on the vine. Ford has nothing right now like that. Except maybe the Taurus SHO but I'm more a fan of American styling over rice or Euro. At least the Charger has an aggressive masculine American look to it.

Micahdogg
01-09-2013, 11:03 AM
That's kinda bad for an SRT/8 model actually, I had thought most 6.1 models around that power number ran 13.2-13.3?

Either way, 4100 is seriously a **** load of weight to move. Why do you think a 300hp Marauder takes 15 seconds to get down the strip stock?

Yeah, it is completely baffling. It seems the manual trans cars can't even overcome it - maybe the traction control kills performance? But a straight up Hertz V6 Mustang rental car will give a SRT8 Challenger a serious fight.

Mebot
01-09-2013, 11:12 AM
thought I saw somewhere they were planning to possibly go to all aluminum for the engine which would reduce the weight of the car overall significantly. The cast iron block is attractive for strength but you pay for it in weight. I guess we'll see what MOPAR does.

MrBluGruv
01-09-2013, 11:35 AM
Yeah, it is completely baffling. It seems the manual trans cars can't even overcome it - maybe the traction control kills performance? But a straight up Hertz V6 Mustang rental car will give a SRT8 Challenger a serious fight.

The new VCT V6 Mustangs from Ford are outrageous. I find myself actually struggling for once between the need to hear a V8 while I drive, or the desire to have stupendous fuel economy while still having a satisfying amount of power. It's almost unfair how good the new V6 Mustangs are. :alone:

Vortex
01-09-2013, 03:01 PM

Now I havent taken my car on the track but have met many that have and the general consensus is a stock R/T Hemi with a 6manual (375/410)will run mid to high 13's and the SRTs with a manual will run just a little faster. I would still imagine a Mustang GT with a manual would be quicker though because of the power to weight ratio. That said, the Challenger is much bigger on the inside up front (comparable to my old MM) and since there seems to be about 10 Mustangs for each Challenger they do stick out in a crowd. Im groovin on mine (and since Im a former MM owner I wouldnt try to steer anyone here wrong. :) )

Micahdogg
01-09-2013, 03:35 PM
That thing looks great! Hands down still the best "retro" styled ride on the streets.

Yeah they do run a few tenths better. But most times people seem to be getting are 13.5's. And for every 13.2-13.4, there is someone out there stuck in the high 13's. It should be a 12 sec car no questions asked. At Route 66 last year a friend of mine was watching a new Mustang 5.0 going repeated 12.7X with nothing - stock tires and traction control. Even the Camaro can go 12's.

Either way, adding more power via factory supercharged option should cure that. Just keep throwing power at it until it's fast!

Odinson
01-10-2013, 08:27 AM
The Mustang and F150 are great and all but what about those of us that want a larger sedan car (with a decent size trunk that you can actually see over from the driver seat - beltline) that also has power with a decent price tag (and also wont have to worry about having the same kind of car as the brat high school kids that pull up next to you)? The Charger (and 300) my brother-in-law has fits the bill and its fast and getting faster. Gets decent gas mileage because its updated technology and trans compared to the old 4.6s that were in the Crown Vics/Grand Marquis that were left to die on the vine. Ford has nothing right now like that. Except maybe the Taurus SHO but I'm more a fan of American styling over rice or Euro. At least the Charger has an aggressive masculine American look to it.

If you are considering the SHO also consider the larger 2013 MKS. Biggest car right now. It's about 3" bigger. A full 17'. (vs the 16 & 3/4 for Taurus, Impala, Challenger, Charger, etc.) It's kinda fugly but I like that too.

Of I really want an MKS with a Ford v8 powerplant with SRT like displacement. Total pipe dream but an ecoboost 8 would make the 'limited tweak' more worth it.

What I really really want is to walk into a dealer and order a brand new marauder 5.0. LOL *sigh*

99SVT
01-11-2013, 04:57 PM
My gf has a 2012 challenger SRT8 6sp, nice car car for road trips. It's not optimal for 1/4 times due to wheelhop and torque management issues on top of the weight handicap. She still ran a 13.8 104 with a 2.5ish 60' the first day she's ever been to the drag strip.

A supercharged offering will be nice to keep up with the hp wars, but lack of tuning and support will keep it playing catch up.

Sent from my LT15a using Tapatalk 2

Micahdogg
01-14-2013, 08:40 AM
Can you discuss the wheelhop and torque management a bit more? It is a straight axle rear right? I can't believe that thing went 13.8 with a 2.5 short time.

99SVT
01-14-2013, 06:54 PM
Can you discuss the wheelhop and torque management a bit more? It is a straight axle rear right? I can't believe that thing went 13.8 with a 2.5 short time.

The challengers have an IRS, and the rubber bushing allow way too much movement, my 99 cobra was very similar to launch.

The ecu pulls power on shifts to save the rear end and transmission. It can be reduced with tuning, but currently can't be eliminated yet. Both the auto and mt cars have it.

The 392's have been able to run mid to high 12's stock, the fastest has been 12.2 from what I've seen reported. The 13.8 run was pretty much a full on bog off the line followed by some careful shifting to avoid spinning or hop. She should be good for a low 13 at our elevation.

Sent from my LT15a using Tapatalk 2

Micahdogg
01-15-2013, 08:18 AM
Wow, that really sucks. I've got IRS in the t-bird too and slicks are the way to eliminate hop. But if the ecu is still pulling timing on shifts what is the point?!