PDA

View Full Version : Home interior painting advice requested

rayjay
01-05-2013, 12:17 PM
I am preparing to paint the interior of our new home. Since my wife was not here to help pick the house, I know dangerous, I let her pick the colors.

The previous owner liked the white on white scheme the house was delivered with. My wife picked a color at Lowes called "lingerie" for the living/dining room. Its sort of a light pastel pink. I think? She picked Grey Mist for the kitchen. I can not deviate from these colors, but I believe they should be reversed.

How about some thoughts from our resident home improvement experts here. I am pulling nails/picture frame hooks and spackling today. My painting equipment arrives tomorrow.

Thanks!

Krytin
01-05-2013, 01:28 PM
Ray, you've been married how many years and you think that somehow you can get somebody else's advise to help you change your wife's color selection in the house?!!:eek:

You are of course correct but I direct you to the following metaphysical question:

If a man speaks and there is no woman present to hear him, is he still wrong?

Good Luck and have fun w/the pink living room and gray kitchen!

HammerDown
01-05-2013, 01:51 PM
I am preparing to paint the interior of our new home. Since my wife was not here to help pick the house, I know dangerous, I let her pick the colors.

The previous owner liked the white on white scheme the house was delivered with. My wife picked a color at Lowes called "lingerie" for the living/dining room. Its sort of a light pastel pink. I think? She picked Grey Mist for the kitchen. I can not deviate from these colors, but I believe they should be reversed.

How about some thoughts from our resident home improvement experts here. I am pulling nails/picture frame hooks and spackling today. My painting equipment arrives tomorrow.

Thanks!

You should have stopped here in Baltimore on your way to MB. Then you could have got an idea of how it will look. That is what our main floor living space walls are -- a VERY light pastel pinkish color (I tried to get a mauve shade mixed in it). The carpet is mauve. Can't believe the Fordfrk was okay with it.:D It should be alright--just make sure the paint is mixed one shade lighter that what you see on the paint chip. In the evening, we almost can't tell the walls have the pink color. Sun has to be shining in bright during the day to see the pink hue.

Well, good luck--Arleen, you got good taste!!!! ;)

WhatsUpDOHC
01-05-2013, 01:54 PM
Two coats. When dry, tape off the moulding with painter's masking tape. Then, two coats on the trim. Lucky you.

Or, find someone local and pay them to do it......:beer:

SC Cheesehead
01-05-2013, 01:59 PM

Thanks!

Ray, you've been married how many years and you think that somehow you can get somebody else's advise to help you change your wife's color selection in the house?!!:eek:

You are of course correct but I direct you to the following metaphysical question:

If a man speaks and there is no woman present to hear him, is he still wrong?

Good Luck and have fun w/the pink living room and gray kitchen!

^^^ What he said.

I'm no "resident home improvement expert" but I've been married long enough to know that when Momma decides something, it's best just to go with the flow.

Like I told my son-in-law on his wedding day, the two most important words he needed to know for a happy marriage were "yes dear"...;)

tbone
01-05-2013, 02:07 PM
We all know who rules the roost in our happy homes. Do what she says and live a good life.

fastblackmerc
01-05-2013, 02:48 PM
I let my wife do ALL the painting. She picks the colors and does the work.

I have no worries / problems!

Marauderjack
01-05-2013, 03:08 PM
Prepare to paint........and.......be ready to RE-PAINT!!:rolleyes:

Bluerauder
01-05-2013, 03:28 PM
I agree +10 do it her way. Here's how the color selection works .... the ending is classic !!! :rofl:

7ZwOGVWqHAw

SC Cheesehead
01-05-2013, 03:46 PM
I agree +10 do it her way. Here's how the color selection works .... the ending is classic !!! :rofl:

Nailed it, Charlie!

:lol:

Merrill
01-05-2013, 03:49 PM
What sheen are you using. I have always been happiest with an eggshell, cleans up like a semi gloss but not as shiny.
The guy who first said, Happy wife, Happy life. didn't just pull that out of thin air.
Paint it her colors.

rayjay
01-05-2013, 05:43 PM
I agree with all the above. She usually does the painting and color selection. I am down here for the remainder of the winter, so I needed something to keep me out of trouble. Did I mention she has a total of 6 colors picked out? -but- she wants the trim to stay the bright white it is. :shake:

I wonder if she'll notice if I switch the colors? :help:

jerrym3
01-05-2013, 06:09 PM
Color is always a personal choice. Nobody can tell you what to like and not like.

But, every room I've painted (and I've painted many) always looked better with a horizontal chair rail molding. Kitchen, dining room, doesn't matter. Moldings will make the room.

The molding can be wide or slim, your choice.

But, it should be in a contrasting color (I always go with the door frame color).

Now, if you want to go gung ho, and this is tough to explain, under the chair rail, use a thinner molding in a square design set up.

Paint the molding to match the chair rail.

Otherwise, without the moldings, all you have is a colored wall.

No excitement at all.

Now, if you want another idea, under the chair rail, install wallpaper.

It can match the wall color-wise, or be a contrasting color. Your choice.

Now, your walls will "pop".

Shaijack
01-05-2013, 06:49 PM
I am so lucky. I am color blind. Wife picks all the colors and I hire a painter to do all the dirty work. After Katrina I flew her from St. Paul, MN to pick the colors. Do not mess with a ladies colors.
They had to paint the den 5 times to get the color right.

Mr. Man
01-05-2013, 07:02 PM
Before you paint with the finish color prime and seal the Spackle fixes as the compound will absorb the paint differently, blotchy paint jobs look like crap.

TSP down the kitchen and surrounding areas real good as paint will not stick to grease. Peeling paint on the walls/ceiling looks like crap.

If you have stains/mold/crayon/other stain type stuff to cover use a stain killer (stain killer is different than primer but can be used as a primer) before you do the finish color. Stains will bleed thru and look like crap.

I like the eggshell finish for interior wall paint. Cheap paint is crap, go with a really good paint like Benjamin Moore. Good paint has more pigments and will make your painting job better.

If Arleen wants to keep the trim color then tape it off real good with either Blue painter's masking tape and if there are any rounded places Frog tape will bend around corners.

I use a 3/8 nap roller and I go for the good ones as they don't lose their nap readily. Nap leaven's in the paint look like crap.

Make sure you have a pole for the roller as it will make painting easier. I use an expandable style. Easier on the back as well.

Tarp the floors and furniture as spatter and inevitably paint spill will occur no matter how careful you try to be. Also wear clothes you don't care about as paint will find it's way onto them.

For painting around trim or cutting in between the walls and ceiling I always use a sash brush usually a 2' or 2 1/2". The bevel makes for cutting in easier

While painting try to always have a wet edge. I lay the paint on in my own pattern but the experts say to lay it on in a W or M and fill in.

Do not over spread the paint, in other words do not dry the roller out before you go back to the tray for more. Over drying the roller can give the walls/ceiling an uneven finish and that looks like crap.

Take your time. If you get tired stop when you finish that wall. Rushing makes for a crap job.

Be careful on the pressure you apply on the roller as you do not want roller lines. Looks like crap if you walls and ceiling are full of lines.

Two coats is the norm even for the crap one coat stuff.

Have a radio to listen to. TV is distracting and can lead to a crap job.

Buy tray liners and paint can poorer things as they make clean up a snap. Also unless you are at the very bottom of the can use a bucket w/ a small amount of fresh paint to dip the brush. Dipping directly into the can can get contaminants into the paint thus leading to a paint job full of dirt and that will look like crap

If you need to stop you can wrap the roller in Saran wrap and put it in the fridge and it will stay moist for a few days. When ready to paint again just unwrap and you are ready to go.

Painting is 90% prep and patience so do the early work well and the finish should come out great.

rayjay
01-05-2013, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the advice. I planned on a chair rail to define the dining room from the living room. The place is really clean, older couple owned it and never repainted. I need to get a 8' ladder as the 6' one I already bought won't work for me with these high ceilings. Most are 12', my bedroom and Carolina room are 14'. No need to paint the ceilings as they are "popcorn" painted and perfect. Even the damn garage is finished.

tbone
01-06-2013, 01:41 AM

7ZwOGVWqHAw

Great find! Lots of chuckles here...... Thanks!

Bluerauder
01-06-2013, 06:01 AM
Before you paint with the finish color prime and seal the Spackle fixes as the compound will absorb the paint differently, blotchy paint jobs look like crap.

TSP down the kitchen and surrounding areas real good as paint will not stick to grease. Peeling paint on the walls/ceiling looks like crap.

If you have stains/mold/crayon/other stain type stuff to cover use a stain killer (stain killer is different than primer but can be used as a primer) before you do the finish color. Stains will bleed thru and look like crap.

I like the eggshell finish for interior wall paint. Cheap paint is crap, go with a really good paint like Benjamin Moore. Good paint has more pigments and will make your painting job better.

If Arleen wants to keep the trim color then tape it off real good with either Blue painter's masking tape and if there are any rounded places Frog tape will bend around corners.

I use a 3/8 nap roller and I go for the good ones as they don't lose their nap readily. Nap leaven's in the paint look like crap.

Make sure you have a pole for the roller as it will make painting easier. I use an expandable style. Easier on the back as well.

Tarp the floors and furniture as spatter and inevitably paint spill will occur no matter how careful you try to be. Also wear clothes you don't care about as paint will find it's way onto them.

For painting around trim or cutting in between the walls and ceiling I always use a sash brush usually a 2' or 2 1/2". The bevel makes for cutting in easier

While painting try to always have a wet edge. I lay the paint on in my own pattern but the experts say to lay it on in a W or M and fill in.

Do not over spread the paint, in other words do not dry the roller out before you go back to the tray for more. Over drying the roller can give the walls/ceiling an uneven finish and that looks like crap.

Take your time. If you get tired stop when you finish that wall. Rushing makes for a crap job.

Be careful on the pressure you apply on the roller as you do not want roller lines. Looks like crap if you walls and ceiling are full of lines.

Two coats is the norm even for the crap one coat stuff.

Have a radio to listen to. TV is distracting and can lead to a crap job.

Buy tray liners and paint can poorer things as they make clean up a snap. Also unless you are at the very bottom of the can use a bucket w/ a small amount of fresh paint to dip the brush. Dipping directly into the can can get contaminants into the paint thus leading to a paint job full of dirt and that will look like crap

If you need to stop you can wrap the roller in Saran wrap and put it in the fridge and it will stay moist for a few days. When ready to paint again just unwrap and you are ready to go.

Painting is 90% prep and patience so do the early work well and the finish should come out great.

I am beginning to notice a pattern ^^^^^^ here. :rofl:

Ozark Marauder
01-06-2013, 08:55 AM
From my experience of painting three house interiors, Do the prep yourself, Take your time, Don't hurry!

Hire a "professional" painter!!!!

The money spent is worth it in the long run.

OZ

Jimimac43
01-06-2013, 09:04 AM
+ 1 what Ozark said. I've painted interiors, exteriors it can be very theraputic, or you can pull your hair out by the roots. I guess I'm at a point that I'll pay a professional to do this stuff. good luck whatever you choose.

rayjay
01-06-2013, 09:30 AM
I've done both interior and exterior painting. I plan on prepping carefully with primer and blue tape. Anyone know how long blue tape can stay on before it becomes uneffective or a PITA to get off? Days or hours? Since all the walls are painted a light cream color it should not be difficult. I planned on fine sanding the areas I spackled. They are mostly holes from where pictures were hung. These folks had a lot of art or photos on the walls!

I'm doing it myself as I'm the only one here for the next couple months. There is virtually no furniture in the way either. I just need to be careful on the ladder as my balance is impaired due to my back surgery. I will feel safer on a taller ladder where I don't have to reach so much. I started doing the outside of our NYS home last summer. I got about 75% of the prep done and then decided it was too much for me. I hired the remainder out. They did a great job. This time I don't have to worry about second floor heights, weird roofs, ladder angles, and falling off a 22' ladder. Which I did twice from the lower end. :( Thats when I gave up, well actually the wife ordered me to hang it up. Joint decision :o I have since had more work done on my lower back and feel much more stable. For now anyway.

fastblackmerc
01-06-2013, 09:45 AM
I've done both interior and exterior painting. I plan on prepping carefully with primer and blue tape. Anyone know how long blue tape can stay on before it becomes uneffective or a PITA to get off? Days or hours? Since all the walls are painted a light cream color it should not be difficult. I planned on fine sanding the areas I spackled. They are mostly holes from where pictures were hung. These folks had a lot of art or photos on the walls!

I'm doing it myself as I'm the only one here for the next couple months. There is virtually no furniture in the way either. I just need to be careful on the ladder as my balance is impaired due to my back surgery. I will feel safer on a taller ladder where I don't have to reach so much. I started doing the outside of our NYS home last summer. I got about 75% of the prep done and then decided it was too much for me. I hired the remainder out. They did a great job. This time I don't have to worry about second floor heights, weird roofs, ladder angles, and falling off a 22' ladder. Which I did twice from the lower end. :( Thats when I gave up, well actually the wife ordered me to hang it up. Joint decision :o I have since had more work done on my lower back and feel much more stable. For now anyway.
There should be instructions on the tape.

Be careful on the ladder.. more home "accidents" involve ladders than anything else.

Since you'll be alone.....

Have your cell phone with you.

Have someone call or stop by to check in on you hourly.

Mr. Man
01-06-2013, 10:04 AM
I am beginning to notice a pattern ^^^^^^ here. :rofl:
Been painting for over 30 years and I've picked up a few things dispite my hard head being in the way;)

Paint and painting supplies really do fall under the "you get what you pay for"

pem
01-07-2013, 11:24 AM
I retired from a union painting contractor last year after 35 years.....you've received good advice from the previous posts....my advice, take it or leave it, is - HIRE A PRO! You've got a bad back, no balance, 14' ceilings, have to buy a tall stepladder, dropcloths, buckets, brushes, etc, and you're asking advice from members of a car club, etc, etc. If that isn't a recipe for disaster I don't know what is. A pro will get it done in a matter of days while you'll be playing painter making God knows how many trips to Menards, Lowes or Home depot to pick up that one item that you forget again and again. Good luck on whatever you decide.

rayjay
01-07-2013, 12:05 PM
I retired from a union painting contractor last year after 35 years.....you've received good advice from the previous posts....my advice, take it or leave it, is - HIRE A PRO! You've got a bad back, no balance, 14' ceilings, have to buy a tall stepladder, dropcloths, buckets, brushes, etc, and you're asking advice from members of a car club, etc, etc. If that isn't a recipe for disaster I don't know what is. A pro will get it done in a matter of days while you'll be playing painter making God knows how many trips to Menards, Lowes or Home depot to pick up that one item that you forget again and again. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Thanks, I have most of what I need and several months to accomplish the task. I am 10x more stable than I was last summer. I will keep my cellphone on me. I know about falling off ladders too well. I have a rebuilt wrist to prove it. I am extreemly careful now. I wish I had the spare $$$ to hire a crew. They'd be done in no time. I may leave the high work to momma when she comes down next month. She is a much better trim painter than I am.

pem
01-07-2013, 01:06 PM
If we were closer I could bring the stuff you don't have and give you a helping hand....prep is the work part and painting is the fun part....when its all said and done, you can give yourself a pat on the back....GOOD LUCK

rayjay
01-07-2013, 02:43 PM
If we were closer I could bring the stuff you don't have and give you a helping hand....prep is the work part and painting is the fun part....when its all said and done, you can give yourself a pat on the back....GOOD LUCK

Thanks. My wife is usually the painter because she thinks I'm too detail oriented. The job I did for 34 years required that things be done right, the 1st time, so I guess thats where that comes from. :D

Mr. Man
01-07-2013, 08:27 PM
Thanks, I have most of what I need and several months to accomplish the task. I am 10x more stable than I was last summer. I will keep my cellphone on me. I know about falling off ladders too well. I have a rebuilt wrist to prove it. I am extreemly careful now. I wish I had the spare $$$ to hire a crew. They'd be done in no time. I may leave the high work to momma when she comes down next month. She is a much better trim painter than I am.
Surrrre the rebuilt wrist is from falling off a ladder http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9GLvetQ99z vRtmKLV-hlLgpn2Td7ACoQv27oXkmvVQCCNk5K AJKnX6A.......:D:P

rayjay
01-07-2013, 08:34 PM
Surrrre the rebuilt wrist is from falling off a ladder http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9GLvetQ99z vRtmKLV-hlLgpn2Td7ACoQv27oXkmvVQCCNk5K AJKnX6A.......:D:P

Yea, the rickety old wooden kind in a unstable position. It was on a day I had no business being on a ladder period. My former partner had been shot in the face the night before and my mind was not on what I was doing. :(