PDA

View Full Version : Antique watch help?

guspech750
01-05-2013, 02:01 PM
So I am asking if any of my fellow Marauder peeps if you may have any knowledge in this field.

My wife gave me this Gruen pocket watch over twelve years ago as a gift on our wedding day. It did not work then and I want to take it to a local jewler who repairs watches.

I have been trying to find out a round about age for this pocket watch. I did learn that it seems most of all the records for Gruen watches have been destroyed.

So does anyone here have any knowledge about Gruen pocket watches?

The Gruen watch is a Gruen Semi-Thin. On the inside of the back when opened it says, "14K gold reinforced with metal. Wadsworth 3026104".

Also states next to the gears, "Gruen Guild, 15 Jewels, Switzerland, 32328".

Any ideas?

J-MAN
01-05-2013, 02:18 PM
So whats the hurry?

MM2004
01-05-2013, 02:23 PM
So I am asking if any of my fellow Marauder peeps if you may have any knowledge in this field.

My wife gave me this Gruen pocket watch over twelve years ago as a gift on our wedding day. It did not work then and I want to take it to a local jewler who repairs watches.

I have been trying to find out a round about age for this pocket watch. I did learn that it seems most of all the records for Gruen watches have been destroyed.

The Gruen watch is a Gruen Semi-Thin. On the inside of the back when opened it says, "14K gold reinforced with metal. Wadsworth 3026104".

Any ideas?

Joe,

I have an antique pocket watch that goes way back in my family.

And would recommend going to a watch maker and see if he can assist you.

That is exactly what I did with mine, and it helped tremendously.

Good luck!

Mike.

Black Dynamite
01-05-2013, 02:42 PM
I collect vintage wristwatches but I'm not too familiar with pocket watches. From my experience with wristwatches I'd say that Gruen dates from the 1920's, based on overall design and the markings on the movement. I'm a member over at watchuseek.com and they have a great vintage and pocket watch forum. As Mike said, take it to a local watch repair place. Chances are they've seen a couple before.

Cool old watch, good luck!

D Rock
01-05-2013, 06:18 PM

Any ideas? Check this out.http://www.pixelp.com/gruen/faq.html. And http://www.gruenwristwatches.com/new-dating-method-2.php

guspech750
01-05-2013, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the info. I will checkout those websites.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

Shaijack
01-05-2013, 10:17 PM
Nice watch. I still have my great grand fathers watch. It works still.

Mebot
01-05-2013, 11:12 PM

Any ideas?
can you just throw that in a search query on google? sorry I don't know too much about those watches, but I do know google is your friend!

Sent from my handheld Zack Morris iShoe 4S.

boatmangc
01-06-2013, 04:42 AM
+1 on watchuseek.com Lots of timepiece gurus over there.

Curless
01-07-2013, 07:25 AM
I have my Great Great Grandmother's anniversary pocket watch, love it. I agree with everyone, find a competent jeweler / watch repair in your area, they should be able to assist you!

Haggis
01-07-2013, 07:34 AM
Doesn't work, target practice.

CBT
01-08-2013, 04:35 AM
Pretty cool watch, brother.

WhatsUpDOHC
01-08-2013, 05:01 AM
Yes. Nice gift.