PDA

View Full Version : Bon Scott AC/DC fans get in here

Motorhead350
01-17-2013, 04:08 PM
I heard a ton of Bon Scott era AC/DC last night and was blown away! WOW. I have only two albums with him, Highway To Hell and Dirty Deeds Done Dirty Cheap. I know he was on other albums, what are the ones before that really have the rockin songs???

Think Beavis and Butt-Head favorites. What are these songs???

PonyUP
01-17-2013, 04:28 PM
I heard a ton of Bon Scott era AC/DC last night and was blown away! WOW. I have only two albums with him, Highway To Hell and Dirty Deeds Done Dirty Cheap. I know he was on other albums, what are the ones before that really have the rockin songs???

Think Beavis and Butt-Head favorites. What are these songs???

Remind me before Louisville Dom, I have all the ACDC albums, I can load em up on a thumb drive for ya

The Ice Bucket Approves of this message

yjmud
01-17-2013, 04:46 PM
High Voltage Jail Break

a_d_a_m
01-17-2013, 04:50 PM
On Let There Be Rock, you have the title track as well as "Whole Lotta Rosie".

Powerage will probably be your favorite, as it has "Rock 'n' Roll Damnation", "Riff Raff" (I think you'll dig), "Sin City" and "Kicked In The Teeth" (total killer!).

Those would be the two I'd start with.

wickedmerc
01-17-2013, 05:42 PM

Just heard "Rosie" again today....love that tune!

42-39-56, you can see she's got it aalllllllll!!!

Vostok
01-17-2013, 07:51 PM
Damnation (Bon Scott era AC/DC tribute band) w/ Judas Beast

Saturday - Jan 19th

Tailgaters Sports Bar & Grill

Joe Walsh
01-17-2013, 08:25 PM
Dom,
You are wayyyy too young to remember Bert Sugarman's "Midnight Special" on NBC.

The first time I saw AC/DC!

mjIpaAnWUCU

I was as dumbstruck as those tards in the audience.
They had no clue that they were watching one of the best hard rock bands ever!

BTW: How can Angus Young play the guitar FOR HOURS while bopping his head like that!?!?!
I get a headache just watching him play.

Joe Walsh
01-17-2013, 08:28 PM
Probably my favorite AC/DC song:

jNCF4EngY2Q

Goodness gracious, I can't tell you how many car speakers I've blown out because of AC/DC tunes!!!

You should have heard this played at HAMMERJACKS!

Motorhead350
01-18-2013, 12:26 AM

Powerage will probably be your favorite, as it has "Rock 'n' Roll Damnation", "Riff Raff" (I think you'll dig), "Sin City" and "Kicked In The Teeth" (total killer!).

Those would be the two I'd start with.

I think I heard Riff Raff last night, but the song I am looking for is much faster than those. I did enjoy those. I guess I will simply have to buy the albums.

Dom,
You are wayyyy too young .

Believe me, I know, I know, I know. I wish I was your age, older or.... Not meant to be offensive. I hear you on liking a band so much where you blow out speakers. I feel your passion.

Here is something for you guys, but doubt any of you would be fond of it. All this talk we had years ago on what's Rock N' Roll and what's Rock... well here is an AC/DC song played in Rock N' Roll style. Maybe other will understand a little better now. Adam, I know you knew what I meant. I have no idea if you will like it or not. I love it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeDtqpKVp0c

CBT
01-18-2013, 04:43 AM
Love this one.

http://images.azlyrics.com/phone.gif Send "It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock 'N' Roll)" Ringtone to your Cell (http://www.ringtonematcher.com/co/ringtonematcher/02/noc.asp?sid=DVAZros&artist=AC/DC&song=It's+A+Long+Way+To+The+To p+(If+You+Wanna+Rock+'N'+Roll) ) http://images.azlyrics.com/phone_flip.gif
"It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock 'N' Roll)"

Ridin' down the highway
Goin' to a show
Stop in all the byways
Playin' rock 'n' roll
Gettin' robbed
Gettin' stoned
Gettin' beat up
Broken boned
Gettin' had
Gettin' took
I tell you folks
It's harder than it looks

It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock 'n' roll
If you think it's easy doin' one night stands
Try playin' in a rock roll band

Hotel motel
Make you wanna cry
Lady do the hard sell
Know the reason why
Gettin' old
Gettin' grey
Gettin' ripped off
Under-paid
Gettin' sold
Second hand
That's how it goes
Playin' in a band

If you wanna be a star of stage and screen
Look out it's rough and mean

Well it's a long way
It's a long way, you should've told me
It's a long way, such a long way

WhatsUpDOHC
01-18-2013, 05:11 AM
This^^^^^is the song that's been in my head since this thread started.

Complete: With bagpipes.

CBT
01-18-2013, 05:17 AM
This^^^^^is the song that's been in my head since this thread started.

Complete: With bagpipes.

Second best use of the pipes besides 'Amazing Grace'. :beer:

a_d_a_m
01-18-2013, 12:33 PM
Here is something for you guys, but doubt any of you would be fond of it. All this talk we had years ago on what's Rock N' Roll and what's Rock... well here is an AC/DC song played in Rock N' Roll style. Maybe other will understand a little better now. Adam, I know you knew what I meant. I have no idea if you will like it or not. I love it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeDtqpKVp0c Nick Curran ruled (died last year). There was a tribute that the Jim Jones Revue played in his honor. That's a pretty good AC/DC cover. The other ones I rank as listenable would be:
South 75 - "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap"
Groovie Ghoulies - "Rock 'n' Roll Damnation"
Hot Rod Circuit - "Sin City"
Amazing Royal Crowns - "Sin City" (they only did it live and here's a YouTube clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo-Jd7YaEtQ) - scroll to 4:29. My band played with them in '01 and all three bands on the bill did AC/DC covers in a punk/rockabilly style!!!)

Back to the topic. Here's a revved-up version of "Problem Child". My favorite part is how the TV show host is talking about AC/DC and they just kick into the song. A few beats in, Bon screams "THANK YOU, PEETAHHH!" and they proceed to kick some serious f'n ass.
eY9H0s5sph0

Something you, Dom, will appreciate about AC/DC is that on one of their first US tours (76ish?) when they played NYC, they hung with the Dictators and Ramones and the other original punk rock bands, even got a writeup in Punk magazine! I have a copy of it but here's the .gif of it.
http://www.punkmagazine.com/images/vault_images/punk_14/punk14acdc.gif

Motorhead350
01-18-2013, 01:04 PM
Awesome! Thanks!!!

beantown mm
01-18-2013, 07:30 PM
Holy crap, can't stop watching their clips since saw this post.... they are unreal, saw them about 11 times with Johnson 80's, missed Bon by a couple years as was only 13-14 when he left us, damn. Kind of forget about them for a while then get addicted again every once in a while now... a couple good clips here that I found...

X6VnjwG5N5w&NR

MDbSivBVBEU

b9iOk8PqkKs

justbob
01-18-2013, 09:46 PM
I still feel that Fly on the Wall was their hardest album..

There is like a four song video story from that album I have on one of my DVDs from them.

They have the ability to change it up on every album, sometimes not the best of sound, but good none the less.

Seen them in '89 and again in '08. I will never miss another if they continue on. I just wish they weren't so camera shy as I have always enjoyed what little interviews I have seen.

Bon was a good front man for sure, but I highly doubt they could have made it even half this far without Brian Johnson. He had balls of steal taking over, and the band risked all on him, and it payed off.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

a_d_a_m
01-19-2013, 12:31 AM
What bugs me is that we'll never know what the band might've continued to sound like with Bon at the helm.

It seems like with Bon they were more content to be a badass brawlin' blues-based rock 'n' roll band. Brian Johnson had been in a band called Geordie before AC/DC - they were more in the vein of Slade and The Sweet, kinda glammy/poppy rock 'n' roll stuff (still very good). I wonder if the marriage between the two led to AC/DC's sound evolving.

Sadly, Johnson's voice never held up - by the late '80s I feel it was already trashed. Listen to his range on this Geordie song:
ZYXhddb9D6c
You can hear here why AC/DC actually would find him suitable to replace Bon.

Check this video out about the degradation in his voice. I think Dom will agree that you can hear it almost immediately but I notice it most around '83. By '88 and '90 in this video it's starting to get sad.
h0SOyPnfFnU
No secret that Brian smoked cigarettes.......a lot, and the boozin' with it I'm sure accelerated the wear on his voicebox. Shame, he really had pipes back then.

In a live setting? I have to believe Bon Scott would have always been better.

1 Bad Merc
01-19-2013, 07:47 PM
If there is another AC/DC concert in Chicago let me know as I am game to go! Went to one in 1983 and I barely remember it :)

One of the best times I had as it was a Monsters of Rock concert with 6 bands! Those were the days brothers.