PDA

View Full Version : Starsky & Hutch

JET
03-05-2004, 09:03 PM
Just saw the new Starsky & Hutch movie. It is funny as hell but the car takes the cake. I believe it’s a Ford Grand-Tourino. I sure you old gear heads can fill in the blanks. Man I would love to have that car. I had to do a couple of burnouts leaving the theater parking lots.

blacksnake
03-05-2004, 09:11 PM
Haven't seen it yet but the preview on tv looks good. They've also started showing the original show on tv. Saw it start last night but didn't catch the channel.

captJ696
03-05-2004, 09:11 PM
Hope to see the movie as well..next week. Incidently, I purchased the 1:18 model of the RED TOMATO last year at Target Stores on Long Island.
Man what a sweeeeeeeet :rock: azz ride!

Joe

TripleTransAm
03-05-2004, 09:13 PM
Can you really still call what you do with an S/Ced Marauder a burnout? Or are you now obliged to call it something along the lines of "opening up the gates of Hell"? Somehow, I just can't picture an S/C burnout in the same category as a stock burnout... ;)

RCSignals
03-05-2004, 09:14 PM
Torino? was it red with a white "hockey stick" stripe on each side? ;)

captJ696
03-05-2004, 09:19 PM
Yep, sure was! If you want to purcase one try ebay or better yet try google search for 1:18 scale Gran Torino by ERTYL models. Great detailing by the way. I Zaino it too! :bounce:

Joe

JET
03-05-2004, 09:23 PM
Can you really still call what you do with an S/Ced Marauder a burnout? Or are you now obliged to call it something along the lines of "opening up the gates of Hell"? Somehow, I just can't picture an S/C burnout in the same category as a stock burnout... ;)

"At my command unleash hell"

:bounce: :fire: :bounce: :fire: :bounce:

JET
03-05-2004, 09:26 PM
Yep, sure was! If you want to purcase one try ebay or better yet try google search for 1:18 scale Gran Torino by ERTYL models. Great detailing by the way. I Zaino it too! :bounce:

Joe

You Zaino your model cars. Sorry dude but you need to get a grip on things.

captJ696
03-05-2004, 09:33 PM
Yeah, yeah, yeah......looks hot though :help:

duhtroll
03-05-2004, 09:45 PM
I loved the original S+H. I was somewhat excited that they were doing a remake - only somewhat because everything is being remade so I guess it was inevitable.

Then I found out they cast 3 idiots in the starring roles, so as it happens I will never see this movie. :(

(Seriously, I'd be hard pressed to find any actors I hate more than these three - and calling them actors is a reach)

It's movies like this and "Blues Brothers 2000" that I deny exist in my universe.

<cough>

Whew! That's been caught in my throat for a while. ;) (no offense is intended to anyone on this board, I just had to tell someone - everyone else around here is asleep!)

-A

PhastPhil
03-05-2004, 10:16 PM
If I remember right the Torino on the original show was a '76. Though they are hard to tell apart from the '74 & '75 models. I don't remember who built the car for the show, but the one for the actions shots supposedly had a worked 460 in it. The 460 was not available to the general public in the Torino series ever. The biggest was the 429 in '70 and '71. Thought years ago someone in Jersey was selling one he claimed was a 1974 model owned by a Ford company exec that had a 460 instaled by the factory. I had a '74 Gran Torino Brougham in high school. The brougham was the fancy shmancy model replaced by the Torino Elite. I'll wait for the new movie to come out on video, should be on video in 2 weeks anyway.

teamrope
03-05-2004, 10:41 PM
Haven't seen it yet but the preview on tv looks good. They've also started showing the original show on tv. Saw it start last night but didn't catch the channel.
It's on TV Land on satelite.

dwasson
03-06-2004, 01:25 AM
(Seriously, I'd be hard pressed to find any actors I hate more than these three - and calling them actors is a reach)

I dunno, in a world where Keanu Reeves can make a living as an actor I forgive Owen Wilson.

However, I do have another theory that relates.

Pat Robertson said a few years ago that the Anti-christ is alive right now. I thought about this and I think that I have discovered something.

One: The Anti-christ is supposed to be jewish.

Two: If he knows who he is he is probably assembling his hordes.

Three: The best place to do this would be Hollywood right?

I think this explains Adam Sandler. How else would this pathetic geek get a film career if not a pact with Satan?

Now admittedly I could be wrong here. For a while I thought that it was Pauly Shore but his contract with the devil apparantly expired.

Don't mind me, I'm just trying to understand the universe.

Petrograde
03-06-2004, 06:47 AM
http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/watermark.php?file=510/903s_h-dtr.jpg

pic courtesy of SoulRiots mad PS skillz... :up:

TooManyFords
03-06-2004, 07:06 AM
Here's everything you've ever wanted to know about the car:

http://starskytorino.com/

I don't know, that S&H look on a MM... Use House of Kolor with some flake and pearls... it just might work!!

:D

MarauderMark
03-06-2004, 07:06 AM
[QUOTE=PhastPhil]If I remember right the Torino on the original show was a '76. Though they are hard to tell apart from the '74 & '75 models. I don't remember who built the car for the show, but the one for the actions shots supposedly had a worked 460 in it. The 460 was not available to the general public in the Torino series ever.

The cars that they used back in the day were 10 to 12 of them for the shows.ranging in years from 74 to 76 .the 460 was optional in 74 w/ 218hp and in 75 the hp was dropped to 218, and also in 76 the 460 with 202 hp plopped out.but they pretty much came w/ 129 hp 302's.The one the public would see was a 76 460 that weighed 4,530 lbs and ran 16.47 e.t. at 84.90.

and dont forget that in 1976 their were 1000 starsky and hutch special editions gran torinos w/ 302's that were offered.
now for the movie they found 1 74 in storage w/ 1800 miles on it w/ a 302 in it.and a S.E. 76 that had 54,000 miles on it .they removed the motors and replaced them with 351 windsors bored 0.040-over to make it a 360 w/ scat forged cranks , spr aluminum pistons , eldelbrocks rpm air gap daul plane manifold and aluminum heads w/ 750-cfm carbs. plus more. these engines produced 435 hp .backed up by C6 super pro 3 spd auto's 10 T.C. and then to fords 9 "w/ 4.11:1 gears..
The # 1 car ran mid 14's and the #2 car ran 13.927 at 92.45. and the owner of these cars was allready offered $100,000 for for one of them..they were featured in hr mag.:up:

Paul T. Casey
03-06-2004, 07:35 AM
They did an article about the cars used in the movie and on TV in this months Hot Rod magazine. TV cars were pretty much generic Torinos, dubbed in the sounds etc. The movie people built 6 "Tomato Cans" and from what I remember at least 2 were the real deal, hopped up motors, suspensions, and the like. I owned a 74 Gran Torino, best value I ever did. Bought it for $350, found more than 20 bucks in it, 2 cases of oil, 1 case of oil filters, ran it for a few years and sold it for $250. It was no performer, measured the quarter in minutes, and like all cars built at that time, it had severe issues with what they were calling steel back then. Mine rotted so bad that the Brake lines failed on the way home from work one night. About the only thing that wasn't rusty was the hub caps.

CRUZTAKER
03-06-2004, 08:17 AM
My friends and I used to play Starsky / Hutch when we weren't S.W.AT.....

Great memories!

ADE 1000
03-06-2004, 08:27 AM
I saw the movie last night and I thought it was hilarious. Lots of nice burnouts with the Gran Torino too. Contrary to what someone else said, I thought the cast was perfect for the movie. Then again, I happen to find Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson, Vince Vaughn, and Will Ferrell very funny in general. And I like Snoop too.

It is a very well done remake, that in no way should be compared to a piece of crap like "Blues Brothers 2000."

martyo
03-06-2004, 10:19 AM
{gulp.....} Am I gonna be safe in Indy???

JET
03-06-2004, 10:28 AM
I dunno, in a world where Keanu Reeves can make a living as an actor I forgive Owen Wilson.

However, I do have another theory that relates.

Pat Robertson said a few years ago that the Anti-christ is alive right now. I thought about this and I think that I have discovered something.

Two: If he knows who he is he is probably assembling his hordes.

Three: The best place to do this would be Hollywood right?

I think this explains Adam Sandler. How else would this pathetic geek get a film career if not a pact with Satan?

Now admittedly I could be wrong here. For a while I thought that it was Pauly Shore but his contract with the devil apparantly expired.

Don't mind me, I'm just trying to understand the universe.

Wow way spread some anti-Semitism around. I assume you are right there with Mel Gibson’s father in believing that the holocaust never really happened. You know I think it’s really funny hear, I go and start a thread about cop comedy & the cool car in it and you turn this into referendum on the Jews in Hollywood. This is a web sight for our car and the culture surrounding it. However I didn’t realize that it also included bashing people based on what religion. You play the cards you are dealt however you chose to be an azzhole.

MM03MOK
03-06-2004, 10:42 AM
Don't mind mehttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_13_4.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_14_3.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_12_4.gif http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_12_8.gifokay.......

SergntMac
03-06-2004, 11:09 AM
I can't remember how many Huggy Bear look-a-likes I locked up while S&H TV was in sweeps week...

MM03MOK
03-06-2004, 11:27 AM
I can't remember how many Huggy Bear look-a-likes I locked up while S&H TV was in sweeps week...:lol:
May 1- 2, 2004
Antonio will be appearing at the Hollywood Collectors and Celebrities show in the Chicago, Illinois area. http://www.antoniofargas.net/pics/Huggy2.jpg

Go Mifuni
03-06-2004, 11:45 AM
I loved the original S+H. I was somewhat excited that they were doing a remake - only somewhat because everything is being remade so I guess it was inevitable.
The same guy who did this is doing "The 6 Million Dollar Man" next. :D
Can't wait :shake:

dwasson
03-06-2004, 04:57 PM
Wow way spread some anti-Semitism around.

No antisemitism at all. Christ was jewish so the antichrist has to be. I'm not even religious and was just making a joke about how much I dislike Adam Sandler.

What I am guilty of is irreverence. I keep forgetting how nuance is lost in text only communication.

With that in mind, I guess I'll have to clear the air here. I intended no slur to jewish people and harbor no antisemitism. There is probably no evidence I can offer remotely that will convince any of you my lack of ill will in a post like this so I'll make you all a deal: Any of you who are concerned that I am antisemitic should IM me with your telephone number and I will call you at my expense and we can work it out.

SergntMac
03-06-2004, 05:44 PM
What I am guilty of is irreverence. I keep forgetting how nuance is lost in text only communication. With that in mind, I guess I'll have to clear the air here. I intended no slur to jewish people and harbor no antisemitism. There is probably no evidence I can offer remotely that will convince any of you my lack of ill will in a post like this so I'll make you all a deal: Any of you who are concerned that I am antisemitic should IM me with your telephone number and I will call you at my expense and we can work it out.
I've got no problem with this, it reads as a full apoloigy for an untended insult.

I'm often misunderstood too, and when this happens, I remember that what we read here as harmful, or, inciting, is often meant to be funny. It's a fine line we often challenge, but seldom cross with any success.

This was a "goof' post, and I read it that way. We need to remember that we're all "goofs" at one time or another, and not get our undies knotted up in all this stuff as it gets posted here, K?

Apologies all around, can y'all shake on it and move on?

TAF
03-06-2004, 06:40 PM
We need to remember that we're all "goofs" at one time or another...
Speak for yourself....:D

Petrograde
03-06-2004, 06:48 PM
Well said Sarge

MarauderMark
03-06-2004, 06:52 PM
The same guy who did this is doing "The 6 Million Dollar Man" next. :D
Can't wait :shake:
i dont think nowadays 6 million dollars is not enough to even make the movie let alone a bionic man .will lee majors now be able to compete with lee majors then:lol:

teamrope
03-06-2004, 08:47 PM
{gulp.....} Am I gonna be safe in Indy???
Not likely if Todd's there. :lol:

Macon Marauder
03-08-2004, 06:10 AM
I'm gonna "re-rail" this thread. Took the wife and kids to see S+H Saturday and everyone had a blast! Sadly, we (the 5 of us) were half the audience!

Loved the Torino, but it needed more screen time. The out-takes and bloopers, etc. were great at the end. I just hope it does well enough to start a franchise.

A big fan of the original! I think I remember Starsky opening the hood of the Torino and showing it off one time, saying it had a 429 and 2 4 barrels. But I coulda dreamed it.

Haggis
03-08-2004, 06:24 AM
.....and not get our undies knotted up in all this stuff as it gets posted here, K?

Mac are you going Regimental now! :eek:

But back to the topic. I remember watching Starsky & Hutch all the time as a kid. I think if I went to see the new movie that I would be hihjly disappointed, like I have with other remakes. Therefore I will pass.

Owen Wilson was good in Behind Enemy Lines so I do not want to lose what respect I have for him. As to Ben Stiller, I can live without him.

lshultz
03-08-2004, 06:33 AM
The original vehicle was a souped up 74' Torino nicknamed "the Striped
Tomato".

Bowman9
03-08-2004, 11:10 AM
I saw S&H over the weekend, I really didn't care for the movie all that much.
The car was cool and the car bloopers were even cooler.
I'm just not a Ben Stiller fan.

G-Man
03-08-2004, 05:52 PM
I've got no problem with this, it reads as a full apoloigy for an untended insult.

I'm often misunderstood too, and when this happens, I remember that what we read here as harmful, or, inciting, is often meant to be funny. It's a fine line we often challenge, but seldom cross with any success.

This was a "goof' post, and I read it that way. We need to remember that we're all "goofs" at one time or another, and not get our undies knotted up in all this stuff as it gets posted here, K?

Apologies all around, can y'all shake on it and move on?

Well said SergntMac. :up:

marauder307
03-08-2004, 06:24 PM
Saw it Saturday. Not impressed. :o

Saw the reruns a few days before. The original series has aged badly...looks pretty well dated, and that's not due to the physical quality of the film. Would have preferred a little more serious remake, but with Stiller in the movie, I guess that's the best we were gonna get. Snoop as Huggy---good casting call, but still doesn't beat my favorite of Matt Lillard as Shaggy. "The Striped Tomato" was good, but even the car was played off stupidly. What a waste of $6 and two hours.

A quick word about the "Six Million Dollar Man" movie effort: I'm trying to pull together a biography on the author of the original "Cyborg" book that the series was based on. I spoke to the man a couple of times before he passed away in '97 (Martin Caidin); he ranks as my all-time favorite sci-fi/sci-fact/aerospace/history author. (Yes, he really did write in all those arenas!) To have Jim Carrey trying to play the "Steve Austin" character is an outright sham, a total disgrace. I liked him as Ace Ventura, but he really needs to stick to comedy. Pretty much all he knows. :fire:

MarauderMark
03-08-2004, 06:44 PM
To have Jim Carrey trying to play the "Steve Austin" character is an outright sham, a total disgrace. I liked him as Ace Ventura, but he really needs to stick to comedy. Pretty much all he knows. :fire:[/QUOTE]

He did do that one movie The truman show.That wasn't bad .But i hope he does'nt play steve .Just cant picture that unless it will be a comedy, kind of a cross between ace w/ bionics..:shot:

MapleLeafMerc
03-08-2004, 06:44 PM
I haven't seen the new Starsky&Hutch movie but likely won't because I wish it had been a action movie, not a comedy. My favourite remakes are those that update the original without changing the original ratio of (action/drama) to comedy. I wasn't that crazy about the colour scheme of the Torino but I liked the show a lot.

Wasn't it Paul Michael Glaser (Starsky) that liked to slide across the hood before jumping in, or am I thinking about Dukes of Hazzard?

Geo
03-12-2004, 04:23 PM
I was under the impression that the 1000 or so Starsky cars from Ford were 351 cars or at least the 351 was an option because I have run across a couple and the owner of one said it was a 351 and that they all came with Magnum 500 road wheels and that the owners had to source the Indy 5-slots.

Also I heard from someone in his 40's in Vancouver, Canada that back in the late 70's he (and his buddy) was pulled over on a Vancouver freeway by a Starsky Torino (red with the stripe and everything including the Kojak bubble gum light on top) and the cops were wearing the same clothes as Starsky and Hutch and were also talking like them. I believe it as Vancouver has had many strange police cars and after all it was the late 70's (the topic came up when I mentioned how I was puled over in my 1978 Dodge Monaco ghost car by a 90's Subaru Impreza 2dr Rallye Blue).

G