PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Guage

blkZooM
01-29-2013, 12:59 AM
What's MM.net members need some help. I have an 01 Ls with over 150,000 miles on it. I've finally decieded to try and fix a problem it's had since I bought it a few years back (starting to trust my mechanical skills.) My gas gauge doesn't really work I say doesn't "really" because it will give me different readings when drving and when parked on a hill with ther front facing up the hill it will say the car is empty.

Now the only time when it does give me an accurate reading is when I park it backwards up the hill with the front facing down the hill.
I've eliminated the fuel pump as problems been here for over 2 years I believe they would have died long ago if they were.

So what are some steps I can take before I replace the whole thing?

Thanks in advance

MOTOWN
01-29-2013, 02:19 AM
You have a bad fuel sending unit, or short to ground in the wiring circuit.

fastblackmerc
01-29-2013, 07:43 AM
Replace the sending unit which may also include the fuel pump.

Hg M75
01-29-2013, 08:05 AM
I replaced the sending unit when I had a '92 Grand Marquis. It required pulling the pump but the sending unit was sold as a separate unit. Not a bad job, but I did use a lift, no need to drop the tank.

fastblackmerc
01-29-2013, 09:01 AM
I replaced the sending unit when I had a '92 Grand Marquis. It required pulling the pump but the sending unit was sold as a separate unit. Not a bad job, but I did use a lift, no need to drop the tank.

You are correct... but at 150K I'd replace the pump anyway.

blkZooM
01-30-2013, 12:30 AM
thanks guys will try most of these come friday tho I will admit I have no clue how one would trace to "short to grind in the wiring circuit" ill look it up on google though if the other problem don't fix the issue

MOTOWN
01-30-2013, 02:00 AM
It simply means you could possibly have corrosion in your wiring, a broken or brittle section of wire that would cause an intermittent short
Easy way to check for bad wires is with a test light