PDA

View Full Version : Met a medal of honor recipient from WWII

05crownsport
01-30-2013, 05:23 PM
I am truly blessed to have been able to meet such a great American! He came to our base this past Tuesday, and we rolled out the red carpet for him! I'll never forget shaking his hand and thanking him for his service and sacrifice for our country.

http://www.medalofhonorspeakout.org/bio/hershel-williams

rocky
01-30-2013, 05:42 PM
Awesome! A true hero

Sent from my iPhone 5

fastblackmerc
01-30-2013, 05:47 PM
Congratulations!

I'd love to meet one also.

Ladyhawke
01-30-2013, 06:05 PM
That's awesome, glad you got to meet him!

guspech750
01-30-2013, 06:47 PM
That is really amazing!

Sent from my iPhone 4S

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

tallpaul
01-30-2013, 07:01 PM
I would feel honered to meet him. I wish we had more men like him. A few years ago at te VA I met a Guadacanal veteran.
We barely had time to talk before I got called back to the doctors office, when I got back he was gone.

SC Cheesehead
01-31-2013, 04:26 AM
Outstanding!

Truly a great man from America's Greatest Generation.

CBT
01-31-2013, 02:48 PM
His story is crazy, truly amazing he survived. I've had the pleasure of saluting a Medal of Honor recipient while we were both in uniform.

Blk Mamba
01-31-2013, 03:30 PM
I think I heard on TV the other night, that there are only 3 living MOH recipients from WWII still alive. I have met a Korean war MOH recipient, and became good friends with him, met him when he was doing Toys for Tots at the mall, and it took off from there, just a good down to earth kind of guy, he didn't tell me he was, someone else, asked "do you know who that is" I said no, and he told me the story. I have also met a female WWII POW, that is very rare.

05crownsport
01-31-2013, 07:55 PM
I think I heard on TV the other night, that there are only 3 living MOH recipients from WWII still alive. I have met a Korean war MOH recipient, and became good friends with him, met him when he was doing Toys for Tots at the mall, and it took off from there, just a good down to earth kind of guy, he didn't tell me he was, someone else, asked "do you know who that is" I said no, and he told me the story. I have also met a female WWII POW, that is very rare.

Wow! Only three left still alive? That gave me goosebumps. It makes that moment even more special. I hope he survives for years to come! From the way he behaved, I think he's got plenty of spirit left in him. We suited him up in nomex and allowed him to fire a M1 Abrams...and then he drove a Stryker! Seems to me that he'll be around for a while. Marines never die...they just get saltier:)
That Korean war MOH recipient sounds like he's genuinely a good man...I'm sure his friendship is dear to you.