PDA

View Full Version : Apple Computers

Pat
01-31-2013, 05:30 PM
I'm in the market for a new desk top computer. My old Dell is ready for the boneyard. I was thinking of an iMac 21.5" 2.7 GHz with just the basic stuff. Cost $1200.00 and free shipping.

Does anyone have an opinion? My nearest store is 200 miles away, Dallas or Little Rock and I don't know anyone locally that has a Mac. My brother loved them.

One thing that I am concerned about is Virus's. The Microsoft OS, Dell hardware was just ate up by these virus's, I heard, but don't really know, that Apple's OS system is largely immune. Is that true?

Any advice would be appreciated.

merc
01-31-2013, 05:46 PM
I'm in the market for a new desk top computer. My old Dell is ready for the boneyard. I was thinking of an iMac 21.5" 2.7 GHz with just the basic stuff. Cost $1200.00 and free shipping.

Does anyone have an opinion? My nearest store is 200 miles away, Dallas or Little Rock and I don't know anyone locally that has a Mac. My brother loved them.

One thing that I am concerned about is Virus's. The Microsoft OS, Dell hardware was just ate up by these virus's, I heard, but don't really know, that Apple's OS system is largely immune. Is that true?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Pat you can purchase online at the apple store (www.apple.com). The Virus issue is not completely true. You may want to consider a Mac mini and a sperate monitor also.

MrBluGruv
01-31-2013, 05:54 PM
Whenever someone tells you that a Mac is immune from computer viruses, remind them that viruses are just code like any other program and therefore the only way a Mac can truly be immune from a virus is to never run a program ever.

Now one thing that IS true, is that a virus designed to damage a Windows operating system should have zero effect on a Mac. Where this ties in with what I stated above is that simply no one has really bothered to code a virus for Mac yet.

In terms of money, you could spec out an outrageously high-powered Windows-based PC for the kind of money you are talking about here, but if you just want a plug-it-in-and-go setup and/or you have no interest in tinkering to build your own computer, a Mac is a very end-user-minded product to buy.

SpartaPerformance
01-31-2013, 06:42 PM
I've used MAC's since 2000. Once you get used to their minor differences you'll never touch another Windows based comp ever again. Oh and you wont have to, 10 years from now it will still be useable and no viruses, no blue screen of death.

fastblackmerc
01-31-2013, 06:43 PM
The list of software for a MAC is small compared to a Windows system.

MrBluGruv
01-31-2013, 06:45 PM
Oh and you wont have to, 10 years from now it will still be useable and no viruses, no blue screen of death.

Well, the screen ain't blue, but....

http://www.bullit.net/al/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/img_0298.jpg

Also, I do have a ten year old mac. I fully upgraded a Mac Cube beyond even what Mac says you should be able to do. Trust me, they aren't worth keeping that long any more than a Windows machine is.

PonyUP
01-31-2013, 08:07 PM
I'm in the technology business and I will tell you this. Creative people get macs, business people by other.
Macs have great programs for artists, musicians, editing software both audio and video. There are programs you can download to work MS office.
However staying true to form over the last 20 years, the business world is light years behind so they use MS comparable machines
When deciding on a computer, it all depends on what you are using it for.
Are you doing basic surfing and the occasional spread sheet? Get a Dell or similar, will cost you $4-500
Are you recording your next greatest hit on guitar, mixing music, editing movies? Get a Mac, you'll thank me later

The Ice Bucket Approves of this message

Gryphonzus
01-31-2013, 09:48 PM
I stopped buying desktops and buy laptops now. You can get a good inexpensive one from $400 to 700. I bought a monitor for when using it at my desk. As far as viruses go i have been using AVg free anti-virus software and have had no problem with viruses for over three years now. Hope this helps and good luck with your decision!

Marauderjack
02-01-2013, 04:19 AM
Bare Bones PC.....plug-n-play!! Get a SUPER FAST PC for $450.00!!:beer::bows:

Build a new one every couple years and stay up to date!!;) ALSO, no ad offers and trial software you get from OTC machines!!!:argue::mad2:

That is what I have done for many years....currently have an 8-core AMD machine running 4.5 GHZ.....stable as a rock...FAST as lightning with an OCZ SSD!!:bandit:

My $0.02 FWIW!!:D

babbage
02-01-2013, 07:13 AM
Macintosh is very good quality. If you want simple, reliable, easy to use get a Mac, Apple is coming back in a big way.

They actually run on FreeBSD (unix) under all the pretty user interface. Windows 8 sucks really badly, would not suggest to anyone. Most new Dell, HP boxes are overladen with bloatware (useless BS software) , I'd suggest Windows 7 (64 bit) with at least 8Gb Ram.

If you don't mind the $1200 the Mac is beautiful, works really really well. Or if you get a Windows Box get one with an SSD and Kaspersky Anti-virus (don't let subscription expire)

My .03 cents.

martyo
02-01-2013, 07:19 AM
Mizz MO got me a MAC in teh fall for my birthday.

It took a bit to get used to it, but I like it a lot.

NavySeabee
02-01-2013, 07:30 AM
Bare Bones PC.....plug-n-play!! Get a SUPER FAST PC for $450.00!!:beer::bows:

Build a new one every couple years and stay up to date!!;) ALSO, no ad offers and trial software you get from OTC machines!!!:argue::mad2:

That is what I have done for many years....currently have an 8-core AMD machine running 4.5 GHZ.....stable as a rock...FAST as lightning with an OCZ SSD!!:bandit:

My $0.02 FWIW!!:D

Me too.

www.newegg.com (http://www.newegg.com) - Great site, free shipping
www.avg.com (http://www.avg.com) - Great antivirus software IMHO

SAAAAAC
02-01-2013, 08:18 AM
I agree here with ponyup.

Something to think about though.... Both PC and APPLE computers use pretty much all of the same internal hardware components. The main difference is in the Operating system.

I truly believe that some users purchase a MAC just because they think they are pretty and trendy. This is the wrong reason to purchase one. Its all about functionality and what your needs are.

I'm in IT and I work for the school system. When we refreshed the teachers laptops, we gave them the choice to pick between MAC and Dell. Most of the teachers picked a MAC after they had been using a Windows machine for most of their career. A big percentage of those teachers returned the MAC because they simply didn't have the time to figure it out and they don't really fit in our enterprise environment. Being a wireless engineer here, Most of my client related issues with wireless come from apple products due to the simple fact that they are not enterprise ready.

My recommendation is to go with what you are used to and what you can afford unless you have plans to do some of the creative things that PonyUp mentioned which still can be done on a powerful widows machine. If its business class stuff that you want to do, I would second guess the purchase of a mac.

And if you're worried about getting a virus, get yourself a good virus protector. Microsoft Forefront is what we use here in the schools and what I use at home in conjunction with Windows Defender. The more 3rd party branded software you use the more issues you could face. Just like putting after market parts on your car as opposed to OEM. And practice safe browsing habits. I have never had a virus on my home Microsoft machine and its on the network 24/7.

Just my two cents. :beer:

I'm in the technology business and I will tell you this. Creative people get macs, business people by other.
Macs have great programs for artists, musicians, editing software both audio and video. There are programs you can download to work MS office.
However staying true to form over the last 20 years, the business world is light years behind so they use MS comparable machines
Are you doing basic surfing and the occasional spread sheet? Get a Dell or similar, will cost you $4-500
Are you recording your next greatest hit on guitar, mixing music, editing movies? Get a Mac, you'll thank me later

The Ice Bucket Approves of this message

fastblackmerc
02-01-2013, 08:33 AM
Check with your internet service provider for firewall and antivirus software. I just changed to AT&T Uverse and they provide a free download of McAfee Security Center that I load on to every system I have.

As for a new system, check www.tigerdirect and www.geeks.com for a refurnished system. I just purchased a Dell OptiPlex 740 Athlon 64 X2 4450B 2.3GHz 4GB 80GB DVD±RW Windows 7 Home Premium Desktop. I will be upgrading the RAM to 8GB and the harddrive to at least 1TB which will add to the purchase price, but I'll have a 64-bit system for less than $250.00.

wannaMM
02-01-2013, 08:35 AM

I use a dell (Personally owned) at work...Use an Apple "sawtooth" 867 dual core at home...Prefer the Apple, as it is faster,more reliable,better built.
Both machines are approx. same age,Apple will run circles around Dell.
I do all my own "repairing",and I find the Apple desktop to be light-years ahead of my dells in accessability to components,quality of components.

Hope this helps....:P

duhtroll
02-01-2013, 08:58 AM
I have built my own PCs for decades and haven't used anti-virus software in over 10 years. Never had one virus in that time, except one that was put on my netbook 5 years ago from an infected machine on an unprotected network (that was supposedly protected).

I have never spent more than $800 on any system and that particular one was a top of the line gaming system. I agree with the $450 build your own every two years. I am way overdue for my next system as my current one is four years old (gasp).

Anti-virus software doesn't help with the latest viruses anyway because they only update them *after* the virus becomes known (i.e. hits the computers)

Stop going to Mexican donkey pron sites or opening every attachment you receive and you won't have to worry about viruses.

I use Macs at work and PC at home - there is no comparison. PCs have more access to just about everything out there. The only things I would do on a Mac, given the choice, is editing video or artwork/photoshop (graphics). But I have never tried high end graphic software on PC either since work provides it for me.

I use Android for my phone and tablet at home. I get several apps for free (like remote desktop) that cost $ on iWhatever.

In short, PC/Android is cheaper than Mac is for the same or superior products in most cases.

RacerX
02-01-2013, 08:59 AM
I work on Macs as well as PCs. Hard drives go, operating sytems fail. I like and use them both. I gave my wife an iMac Pro and installed OSX with Bootcamp/Windows 7 Ultimate on it. That way she had options, she likes Win 7 and uses that. Macs DO get viruses. You don't hear about it as much because they have a VERY small piece of the total market share. If you have 1,000,000 pcs and 1,000 macs, let's say 10% of both get viruses, spyware, malware... Which do you think you'll hear more about??? ;) One thing I don't like about Macs and the unix based OS, if you start to get hard drive failures, data recovery can be damn near impossible with the HFS+ filesystem. BACKUP!

Bigdogjim
02-01-2013, 09:11 AM
Pat: Try Dell's outlet web site for some real bargins. These are computer/laptop's that people order then cancel and Dell unloads them at the their outlet web site.

SAAAAAC
02-01-2013, 09:44 AM
edealinfo.com is a great bargain site as well

DEFYANT
04-04-2013, 10:41 AM
Good real world info here. Thanks. My Dell Laptop has been working well for almost 5 years. I'd like to replace it before it is toast. Being an iPhone fan, the Apple products are tempting.

RacerX
04-04-2013, 01:09 PM
I got my wife a nice MacBook Pro recently.... of course I used Bootcamp and installed Windows 7 Ultimate on it for her (with Symantec Endpoint Protection for AV)!!! :lol:
P.S. I have worked on 5 Macs so far this week and one I'm working on right now has viruses and malware on it. It's going to get worse as Apple gets a bigger marketshare and these third world countries develop ransomeware, etc. to extort what would be a years pay to them from us fat Americans. :beer:

camelgrundle
04-05-2013, 02:15 AM
Yeah I just got a Mac book pro. Once you get used to it the design of the operating system is far better than a pc, obviously my opinion but I used dell and IBM my whole life and will never buy one again. And my MacBook came with the Microsoft package so same stuff better system!

J.bo
04-05-2013, 02:38 AM
P.S. I have worked on 5 Macs so far this week and one I'm working on right now has viruses and malware on it. It's going to get worse as Apple gets a bigger marketshare and these third world countries develop ransomeware, etc. to extort what would be a years pay to them from us fat Americans. :beer:

This is very true plus Apple is talking about making a more affordable version. So more people can get on the Apple ban wagon.