PDA

View Full Version : challenger owners

breeze
02-08-2013, 08:20 AM
Looking at challengers R/T and SRT only. What do you folks say the pros/cons are and can give me your view on the car that own them. Thanks

DOOM
02-08-2013, 08:24 AM
You thinking about getting one?

fastblackmerc
02-08-2013, 08:30 AM
Wife has an '07 Charger R/T... does that count?

breeze
02-08-2013, 08:30 AM
You thinking about getting one?

Yea, and ima stay away from your ass if I do!.lol

breeze
02-08-2013, 08:33 AM
Wife has an '07 Charger R/T... does that count?

Not sure. Are they built on same platform? and just has 2 extra doors.

DOOM
02-08-2013, 08:34 AM
Not sure. Are they built on same platform? and just has 2 extra doors.

Exactly!!!

Mebot
02-08-2013, 08:47 AM
horrible blind spots

Sent from my handheld Zack Morris iShoe 4S.

Vortex
02-08-2013, 08:48 AM
The platform is shorter than the Charger but essentially the same. The normal comparo is the Challenger/Camaro/Mustang. Lots of differences, you should drive all three. I went thru this last summer so here ya go:
Mustang GT Upside: Fastest of the three, cheapest too. Downside: a dime a dozen, a much smaller car inside than the other two.
Camaro SS Upside: Very fast, not as common as the Mustang. Downside: Roof is way too low if you are over 6 ft tall (like a WWII pillbox window), silly looking dash/guages.
Challenger R/T: Upside: Looks like the original musclecar its based on, very comfortable, not all that common. Downside: Not quite as fast as the other two.

I got the Challenger R/T Classic myself and am very happy with it. FYI they are coming out soon with a new base model SRT Challenger that has the big motor but minus leather, NAV and other doodads for $39k which is $6k cheaper than a regular SRT (and you can get it in Plum Crazy Purple!) As a former MM owner I would not steer you wrong here.

Vortex
02-08-2013, 08:52 AM
horrible blind spots

This is true; reminds me alot of my old 73 Gran Torino fastback. You could always get a Kia Soul if you want great outward visibility.

Marauderjack
02-08-2013, 08:57 AM
If you make a lot of power, put sticky tires on and remove "shift modulation" you will break stuff fast!!:eek:

Drive trains in all Chryslers are not built to take it like they used to be in the 60's!! Must be the Daimler engineering they got??:argue:

Nice looking but like all these days.....VERY EXPENSIVE!!:shake:

breeze
02-08-2013, 09:03 AM
The platform is shorter than the Charger but essentially the same. The normal comparo is the Challenger/Camaro/Mustang. Lots of differences, you should drive all three. I went thru this last summer so here ya go:
Mustang GT Upside: Fastest of the three, cheapest too. Downside: a dime a dozen, a much smaller car inside than the other two.
Camaro SS Upside: Very fast, not as common as the Mustang. Downside: Roof is way too low if you are over 6 ft tall (like a WWII pillbox window), silly looking dash/guages.
Challenger R/T: Upside: Looks like the original musclecar its based on, very comfortable, not all that common. Downside: Not quite as fast as the other two.

I got the Challenger R/T Classic myself and am very happy with it. FYI they are coming out soon with a new base model SRT Challenger that has the big motor but minus leather, NAV and other doodads for $39k which is $6k cheaper than a regular SRT (and you can get it in Plum Crazy Purple!) As a former MM owner I would not steer you wrong here.

Hate the new Camaro. Love the new stangs but yes ate EVERYWHERE. I read up on that with upgrade drivetrain part which caught my eye. Can do without the doodads. Not looking to buy new maybe 2-3 yrs old with low miles. Not as fast but sure couple mods can fix that. I registered on a challenger forum so I can do my homework before I put a pen on ANY paper.

DOOM
02-08-2013, 09:05 AM
Are you planning to trade in or keep your Marauder?

Comin' in Hot
02-08-2013, 09:19 AM
Here are the negative comments I have:

1. I kept looking in the side view mirror thinking a car was there and it was the hump in the quarter panel, it was kind of annoying.

2. The interiors are cheaply made, something about the texture of all the plastic.

positive comments:

1. larger interior than musctangs and camaros

2. sort of rare in comparison to mustangs and camaros

3. awesome styling.

That being said, I test drove one and was in the final stage of buying a Green with Envy SRT8 when I decided to first look at NavChap's DBP. Ironically I had an SXT challenger rental in CA when I went to look at the MM. It's still on my list of cars to own. At the time I just couldn't justify the extra cost of something that wasnt as rare and using it as a DD vs having less money invested and 2 MMs one to keep nice and another for DD service.

SC Cheesehead
02-08-2013, 11:05 AM
horrible blind spots

Yup, that's number 1.

Number 2: It's a Dodge...

Bluerauder
02-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Looking at challengers R/T and SRT only. What do you folks say the pros/cons are and can give me your view on the car that own them. Thanks

So does this mean that the Taurus SHO is off the table? ;)

PonyUP
02-08-2013, 11:31 AM
Here are the negative comments I have:

1. I kept looking in the side view mirror thinking a car was there and it was the hump in the quarter panel, it was kind of annoying.

2. The interiors are cheaply made, something about the texture of all the plastic.

positive comments:

1. larger interior than musctangs and camaros

2. sort of rare in comparison to mustangs and camaros

3. awesome styling.

That being said, I test drove one and was in the final stage of buying a Green with Envy SRT8 when I decided to first look at NavChap's DBP. Ironically I had an SXT challenger rental in CA when I went to look at the MM. It's still on my list of cars to own. At the time I just couldn't justify the extra cost of something that wasnt as rare and using it as a DD vs having less money invested and 2 MMs one to keep nice and another for DD service.

I didn't find it all that roomy on the inside, maybe in the backseat, I find my Mustang to be roomier.

Also, felt like the seat in the Challenger was digging in my side. Love the seats in the Mustang, in fact one day I'd love to have the front seats in the Marauder

The Ice Bucket Approves of this message

guspech750
02-08-2013, 12:02 PM
I would rock out an SRT-8 Challenger. They are pretty darn nice. Lots of nice mods available and supercharger kits too.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

Comin' in Hot
02-08-2013, 02:39 PM
I didn't find it all that roomy on the inside, maybe in the backseat, I find my Mustang to be roomier.

Also, felt like the seat in the Challenger was digging in my side. Love the seats in the Mustang, in fact one day I'd love to have the front seats in the Marauder

I'm not small by any means lol and I drove a 2012 shelby gt 500 for about 5 minutes and hated every second of it, no hip room, even less shoulder room. This was not a problem in the challenger

PonyUP
02-08-2013, 03:54 PM
I'm not small by any means lol and I drove a 2012 shelby gt 500 for about 5 minutes and hated every second of it, no hip room, even less shoulder room. This was not a problem in the challenger

Interesting, I can't speak for the Shelby, but I'm a rather large fellow myself, and I have plenty of room

But comfort is a lot like cars, it's different for everyone

breeze
02-08-2013, 04:04 PM
I went for a ride in a new RT and was plenty room and was falling in lust with it.

So does this mean that the Taurus SHO is off the table? ;)

Cant see me dishing out that amount of green for a car at this stage of my life.

Bluerauder
02-08-2013, 05:35 PM
I went for a ride in a new RT and was plenty room and was falling in lust with it.

Cant see me dishing out that amount of green for a car at this stage of my life.

So I guess you did get.my PM. ;)

Marauderman
02-08-2013, 05:53 PM
Yup, that's number 1.

Yeah.............and isn't this a Marauder Car Forum!!!!!!!!!!!! OK --Opinions--I get it----Not like thought!!

FastMerc
02-08-2013, 06:33 PM
I rented this one for a week when I was in Vegas last year. I enjoyed the hell out of it and put almost 700 miles on it. I would deffinantly buy one if I could. In stock trim it was pretty much like my Marauder. Has a great ride plenty of power. Comfortable to drive,and yes I played some when I had it. So if you got the oppertunity go for it!

CWright
02-08-2013, 07:09 PM
I bought this as a DD on Jan 2. I have enjoyed it and have plenty of room.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Iphone_5_January_2013_006.PNG (javascript:;)

Shaijack
02-08-2013, 07:26 PM
Have owned a Challenger (orange) for a year. I love it. Thinking about getting another one. Black with Red stripes.
All cars have faults, live with them and know them.
I did replace the seats with black leather.

PonyUP
02-08-2013, 07:37 PM
Have owned a Challenger (orange) for a year. I love it. Thinking about getting another one. Black with Red stripes.
All cars have faults, live with them and know them.
I did replace the seats with black leather.

Is it wrong that I touch myself thinking of your garage?

jimlam56
02-08-2013, 07:41 PM
horrible blind spots

Had a few as rental cars. Not my first choice because of this.

Vortex
02-08-2013, 10:21 PM
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30 775&d=1346092775 (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30 775&d=1346092775)

This one is mine. (I know, a repost but what the hell.) :banana2: :banana2:

99SVT
02-08-2013, 10:40 PM
My gf has a white stripe delete srt8 392 6speed. Like most people say, its roomy, comfortable, has bad blind spots and looks awesome. The blind spots aren't as bad as the camaro, but the camaro has rearview cameras now because it was so bad.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/09/ame2utu2.jpg

Drove the car to Vegas and back last summer and she used it as a dd when the snow isn't on the ground. It's an excellent road trip car, good mileage, huge fuel tank, enough trunk space for her luggage. Sucks gas when used for short trips in town, 14mpg city, 26 highway. The only thing I don't like about it is the dodge nav system, it sucks serious donkey balls.

Sent from my LT15a using Tapatalk 2

breeze
02-09-2013, 06:55 AM
Think ima see if I can drive my friends rt one day.

Shaijack
02-09-2013, 07:29 AM
PonyUp I would be honored if you touch yourself in my garage. Or on my new shiney black leather. Can I vid it. The net would love to see it.
Thinking about that if anyone wants the original black seat covers for the Challenger let me know. Very reasonable priced. They are taking up hording area in my garage.

breeze
05-08-2013, 06:29 PM
Test drove the 392 challenger the other day (don't want RT) and WOW is all Im gonna say.

Geewez
05-08-2013, 11:33 PM

:agree: My DD is a 2009 RT and I Like it a lot. Most of the postings here are right. Out of the three cars, the Challenger is the most retro looking and true to the original. I've owned a lot of nice cars before but none have ever drawn as much attention as the Challenger. Everywhere I go people come up to me with questions or comments about the car. Seems like most people like the car too. I saw the original Challenger concept car at the SEMA Show and you could tell immediately that it was a Challenger while walking up to the display. I remember thinking that if Chrysler ever decides to build the car I'd have to get one seeing how I missed out on the opportunity to buy one when they first came out in 1970. I bought mine at a time when they were in short supply and was pretty much at the mercy of the dealer. Now a days the dealers are more than willing to deal on the pricing. If you decide to get one, even the 6 cylinder puts out 300 HP and the 392 puts out 475 HP. I'm more than happy with the RT at 375 HP and it even gets better gas mileage than the MM.

MrBluGruv
05-09-2013, 02:30 AM
Don't know how I missed this thread when it was first posted....

A buddy of mine has an '11 or '12 Challenger R/T 6-speed. It can't hang with my ten year old stock power LS1 Camaro. But on the plus side it sounds absolutely great with the exhaust system it has. Also looks REALLY nice.

LostInTennessee
05-09-2013, 03:55 AM
Can you say BUILT BY FIAT :lol:

breeze
05-09-2013, 04:40 AM
Don't know how I missed this thread when it was first posted....

A buddy of mine has an '11 or '12 Challenger R/T 6-speed. It can't hang with my ten year old stock power LS1 Camaro. But on the plus side it sounds absolutely great with the exhaust system it has. Also looks REALLY nice.

Well challenger is heavier and the stick is slower then auto. Challenger folks will.tell you and timeslips to prove it.

RoyLPita
05-09-2013, 04:58 AM
I was looking into a used Challenger. I could not find a reasonable priced 6 speed R/T with the electronics convenience package and a moonroof. It seems with Dodge products that the rear fluid needs to be changed every 40k. I like Fords interval better.

As for the rest, the Camaro 6 speed was difficult to drive smoothly and the Mustang GT has issues with its T82 6 speed as well.

breeze
05-09-2013, 05:16 AM
I was looking into a used Challenger. I could not find a reasonable priced 6 speed R/T with the electronics convenience package and a moonroof. It seems with Dodge products that the rear fluid needs to be changed every 40k. I like Fords interval better.

As for the rest, the Camaro 6 speed was difficult to drive smoothly and the Mustang GT has issues with its T82 6 speed as well.

Only liked the Camaro for couple months after they came out and quickly disliked them after. Like the 5.0s and also heard bout the gears sticking but going from a big car to little car I see s sellers/buying remorse with that one. Had a Ford Probe with a stick and hated every second of it. I prefer to never go with stick again.

RoyLPita
05-09-2013, 06:05 AM
Only liked the Camaro for couple months after they came out and quickly disliked them after. Like the 5.0s and also heard bout the gears sticking but going from a big car to little car I see s sellers/buying remorse with that one. Had a Ford Probe with a stick and hated every second of it. I prefer to never go with stick again.

I would drive stick again. My 95 GTS and 89 GT convertible were and had an easy clutch. I like the gear ratios in the 6 speed that the Challenger offers. Fords T82 has 6th as O/D. The TR6060 has 5th with 6th being .50.

Some Challenger Pluses (thanx to my "bookworming"):
The fuel tank holds the same as the MM (19 gallons) compared to the Mustang (16 gallons). 87 octane can be used without any issues w/ either transmission in the 5.7 R/T. 5/20 synthetic blend oil with a Ford 820s filter can be used too. It takes 1 quart more than the MM (1 less than the 5.0 GT). SRT8 takes 0/40 or 5/40 full synthetic. If you get an R/T 6 speed w/18" wheels, it will come with a 3.73 "anti-spin" rear end. If you opt for the 20s, you'll have a 3.91 anti-spin rear end. If you go with the auto, it comes with a 3.06 peg leg rear with anti spin being an option. I like the exterior appearance package with the hood scoop, rear wing and striping. The R/T classic (like the Redline pictured above) has functional hood scoop grilles. You can add a piece that directs air to a CAI. HID lights are also standard on the Classic and SRT8 but optional on the R/T Plus for $695. 2011 and up Challengers have "keyless-go" with push-button start. This can be over-ridden if you prefer putting the fob in the lock and turning it. Automatics have remote start.

There is a company that makes a sequential turn signal kit.

Saleen has some packages for the R/T but quality is the pits.

breeze
05-09-2013, 07:15 AM
Thought we had 18 gallon tank. Oh well, I'm only getting like 270 where I seen the srt8 getting over 300+ .

Seen the Saleen challenger too. Love the body kit. I just want the tail lights off it, the rest is expensive.

Odinson
05-09-2013, 07:35 AM
I would rock out an SRT-8 Challenger. They are pretty darn nice. Lots of nice mods available and supercharger kits too.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Supercharger kits? On the 6.4? Do tell, who? Love to read some reviews.

guspech750
05-09-2013, 09:06 AM
Supercharger kits? On the 6.4? Do tell, who? Love to read some reviews.

I just saw a fella on the Chicago Garage is getting I believe first supercharger for a 2013 SRT8 Jeep. I'll have to find that thread and post it.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Ozark Marauder
05-09-2013, 09:18 AM
I just saw a fella on the Chicago Garage is getting I believe first supercharger for a 2013 SRT8 Jeep. I'll have to find that thread and post it.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

I read that a while back....Here's the link

http://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/car-discussion/130253-first-2012-jeep-srt8-tvs-2300-a.html

OZ

guspech750
05-09-2013, 09:21 AM
I read that a while back....Here's the link

http://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/car-discussion/130253-first-2012-jeep-srt8-tvs-2300-a.html

OZ

Sweet. The updated thread. That looks awesome. Some really nice power for sure.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

RoyLPita
05-09-2013, 10:03 AM
Thought we had 18 gallon tank. Oh well, I'm only getting like 270 where I seen the srt8 getting over 300+ .

Seen the Saleen challenger too. Love the body kit. I just want the tail lights off it, the rest is expensive.

From '92-'97 the GM, CV, and LTC had a 20 gallon tank.

As for the Saleen kit with the "butterfly flap" on the hood, it is a "cheesy" setup.

Odinson
05-09-2013, 10:28 AM

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Thanks and happy birthday!

Taurus's rule! Full of bull.

Due to blowage, mopar has now entered my relm of interest.

guspech750
05-09-2013, 10:30 AM
Man, I just saw an article about Dodges possibility of coming out with supercharged Hemi cars soon.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

guspech750
05-09-2013, 10:34 AM
http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2013/05/6-2-hellcat-serious-power-boost

Sent from my iPhone 4S

ChiTownMaraud3r
05-09-2013, 10:42 AM
The dealer by my house, Bettenhausen Dodge, supercharges even new dodges and chryslers and even keep your factory warranty.

That's something Ford should have done with the Marauders :(

MrBluGruv
05-09-2013, 11:15 AM
Well challenger is heavier and the stick is slower then auto. Challenger folks will.tell you and timeslips to prove it.

This wasn't in the 1/4 that I pulled away from him, basically the faster we got in a roll the further I walked away, although even from a dig I did reel him back in pretty quickly after he got the jump off the line. If I had tires that had any real grip it wouldn't have even been close.

What I'm trying to get at is that however people want to try to explain it away (heavy, auto, poor shifting, etc.), if you get an R/T, expect to get beat up on by ten year old cars in stock trim. If it's just about the fun of driving it and the feel of the car though (which I totally dig, no need to feel like you have to prove anything to anyone just to enjoy your own wheels), then by all means have a blast with it. :)

68MercuryM250
05-10-2013, 02:08 PM
Yup, that's number 1.

Just what I was thinkin..... I drove a '12 5.0 Mustang the other day......IT WILL be my next vehicle after the MM goes to weekend duty in a year. Would not even consider a non Ford product.....too many family ties with The number 2 automaker.

L.Mark
05-10-2013, 02:41 PM
PonyUp I would be honored if you touch yourself in my garage. Or on my new shiney black leather. Can I vid it. The net would love to see it.
Thinking about that if anyone wants the original black seat covers for the Challenger let me know. Very reasonable priced. They are taking up hording area in my garage.

You can touch me too...

BAD MERC
05-10-2013, 02:51 PM
I am taking delivery of a 2010 Challenger SRT8 in about 6 weeks or so. I wanted a six speed and a sunroof. Also the '10 has the push-button start. Its orange with the carbon stripes on the hood. It's immediately getting an Edelbrock E Force supercharger. I tried like hell to supercharge my Marauder and never had the funds. I sold the Marauder 16 months ago BUT now I am swimming in money and will be buying the Marauder back as well. The owner has only put 2100 miles on it. I thought about finally supercharging that, too but decided to leave forced induction off. I would love to buy the 2013 Challenger with the 6.4 but don't wanna pay $42 LARGE and take the depreciation. I hope this SRT8 is everything I ever imagined. The MyGig Infotainment system can be unlocked using a device called a LockPick to watch DVD's and utilize an iPod/smartphone/AUX/camera(s) on the screen. Should be a fun ride!!

sailsmen
05-10-2013, 05:01 PM
Chryslers fall apart. I know I used to put them back together. Buy bumper to bumper factory warranty and sell before it expires. I have beaten every S/C one at the track.

Challengers always catch my eye. VANISHING POINT!