View Full Version : Police Officers owns US Solider Bro

ctrlraven
02-08-2013, 08:31 AM
NWS: Language

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIrAiM751SY
rIrAiM751SY

Vortex
02-08-2013, 08:59 AM
Not exactly the Marquess of Queensberry Rules of law enforcement (or even standard procedures) but I bet that young smartazz has learned a valuable lesson in life.

Curless
02-08-2013, 09:59 AM
DOH! Take that!

fastblackmerc
02-08-2013, 10:09 AM
You have to wonder why LEOs have a bad reputation....

Blk04MM
02-08-2013, 10:27 AM
You have to wonder why LEOs have a bad reputation....

Exactly. Officer was wrong 100%

He stepped to the solider first and struck him. Then didn't ask for him to put the cig out so why say "like I asked you" ....I hope the shoulder owned his azz in court.

ctrlraven
02-08-2013, 10:42 AM
Exactly. Officer was wrong 100%

He stepped to the solider first and struck him. Then didn't ask for him to put the cig out so why say "like I asked you" ....I hope the shoulder owned his azz in court.

The officer stepped forward and then the kid stepped up to the officer. Last time I checked you don't puff your chest up to a cop at any point.

fastblackmerc
02-08-2013, 10:46 AM
The officer stepped forward and then the kid stepped up to the officer. Last time I checked you don't puff your chest up to a cop at any point.

Correct, but the officer could have used more restraint. Sounds like the officer has a "chip on his shoulder". Would like to see the officers record..........

DOOM
02-08-2013, 10:51 AM

What he said!

YOU DO NOT DO THAT!!!

Cop was not in the wrong!

Blk04MM
02-08-2013, 10:54 AM

That's the problem too many cops think they can puff up and people suppose to bow to them. Give respect to get it. The kid a soilder he has as much right to want his respect too. Officer was mad at how the kid was talking (freedom of speech) and when the kid said soilder the cop wanted to flex his "marine" name. The kid did right in my eyes and did even better by not fighting back. Take that officer to court.

ctrlraven
02-08-2013, 10:55 AM
Correct, but the officer could have used more restraint. Sounds like the officer has a "chip on his shoulder". Would like to see the officers record..........

Sounds more like he defused an amped up kid throwing out he is a us solider (really in the reserves though) before it got a lot more out of hand.

The officer even stated he was going to document that there was physical contact between the two of them.

Blk04MM
correct, but the officer could have used more restraint. Sounds like the officer has a "chip on his shoulder". Would like to see the officers record..........

+1.............

fastblackmerc
What he said!

YOU DO NOT DO THAT!!!

The LEO didn't ask him to step back either to try and diffuse the situation.

Notice that the COP says "Your talking to a Marine" not your talking to a police officer.

DOOM
02-08-2013, 10:56 AM
You do not walk up on an officer in an AGGRESSIVE manner!

Blk04MM
02-08-2013, 10:57 AM
What he said!

YOU DO NOT DO THAT!!!

Sounds more like he defused an amped up kid throwing out he is a us solider (really in the reserves though) before it got a lot more out of hand.

The officer even stated he was going to document that there was physical contact between the two of them.

NOT getting in a feud about LEOs again. NOTHING against them only the ones who don't handle stuff right.

Just have my opinion about the video so NOBODY NEEDS TO GET CRABBY

Blk04MM
02-08-2013, 10:58 AM
The LEO didn't ask him to step back either to try and diffuse the situation.

Notice that the COP says "Your talking to a Marine" not your talking to a police officer.

Winner winner chicken dinner

Blk04MM
02-08-2013, 11:02 AM
You do not walk up on an officer in an AGGRESSIVE manner!

That is correct! Not just an officer but any person period. but look at this video situation. It went from civil call to solider vs marine. The officer in badge needs to remain a professional officer not identify himself as a marine.

(Example) If a guy says I'm superman no Leo should say I'm batman.

Professionalism was lost. Cop MAY be a good dude but the situation was wrong

CWright
02-08-2013, 11:03 AM
Respect from civilian = Respect from officer (99% of the time)

Disrespect from Civilian = 50/50 Chance you will be disrespected by officer.

When the officer walked up to the guy maybe he was in the wrong. If the guy had backed up instead of getting back in officers face and spoke in a civil tone then the officer would more than likely backed down as well.

You will attract a lot more flies with sugar than you do with vinegar. Otherwise, BE NICE! It can't be that hard!

fastblackmerc
02-08-2013, 11:06 AM
Here is a video from the local TV station.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpNZ22z7B7w

ctrlraven
02-08-2013, 11:08 AM
(Example) If a guy says I'm superman no Leo should say I'm batman.

BUT

How funny would that be though? :lol:

DOOM
02-08-2013, 11:09 AM

Notice the kid say "he was army"!

Like that's supposed to make a damn difference!

Or that's supposed to make it ok for him to jump in the cops face!

If he was army for real he would have known better than to do that in the first place!

There was no need at all for him to raise up on the cop! Just because the cop took 1 step towards him! All he did was put him down! He didn't beat his ass or mace him!

You don't know if this person has a weapon on him or not!

Kid made a stupid move. End of story I'm done! You guys think what you want!

fastblackmerc
02-08-2013, 11:12 AM

If he was army for real he would have known better than to do that in the first place!

There was no need at all for him to raise up on the cop! Just because the cop took 1 step towards him! All he did was put him down! He didn't beat his ass or mace him!

I agree he made a stupid move. But the office should have tried to diffused the situation instead of immediately resorting to violence.

No further comment from me either.

Blk04MM
02-08-2013, 11:16 AM
BUT

How funny would that be though? :lol:

Lol .........

CWright
02-08-2013, 11:16 AM
IMO the boy put on an act when interviewed. I'm not going to say the officer was right but it went out of control in the beginning. Like I said before. If the boy had backed up and not stepped at officer after he stepped at him then the situations could have gone a different direction.

Blk04MM
02-08-2013, 11:17 AM

Lol simmer down its not that serious. Everyone has their opinion getting mad is pointless.

Blk04MM
02-08-2013, 11:18 AM
I agree he made a stupid move. But the office should have tried to diffused the situation instead of immediately resorting to violence.

No further comment from me either.

That's the point.

PonyUP
02-08-2013, 11:20 AM
It's so easy for us to second guess a video of a situation we were not in. We don't know what the call was on the radio, if Robles had a criminal record, so we can't simply say the situation could have been diffused. The complainant was obviously agitated from the jump, he could have had a weapon.

Cops live in danger ever second of every day and are charged with not only defending themselves, but the public as well.

I find it odd that on the same site we are admonishing our schools, calling our President a jackass and have three threads going about guns that we wait until an officer is in a situation to become the site of "he could verbally defuse it"

The Ice Bucket Approves of this message

Blk04MM
02-08-2013, 11:22 AM
IMO the boy put on an act when interviewed. I'm not going to say the officer was right but it went out of control in the beginning. Like I said before. If the boy had backed up and not stepped at officer after he stepped at him then the situations could have gone a different direction.

U right. But if there is no knowledge of a weapon why close the gap first. Give verbal command but officer lost his cool it could've ended bad. But it didn't

I'm done here ppl are mad as usual

DOOM
02-08-2013, 11:25 AM
The complainant was obviously agitated from the jump, he could have had a weapon.

Cops live in danger ever second of every day and are charged with not only defending themselves, but the public as well.

Finally!!! Someone who gets it!!!!

Ding ding ding!!! Winner winner chicken dinner!!!

CWright
02-08-2013, 11:27 AM
U right. But if there is no knowledge of a weapon why close the gap first. Give verbal command but officer lost his cool it could've ended bad. But it didn't

I'm done here ppl are mad as usual

UHHH...... I'm not mad!

DOOM
02-08-2013, 11:27 AM
Lol simmer down its not that serious. Everyone has their opinion getting mad is pointless.

Who's getting mad??? :confused:

Just stating my opinion just like you are doing. Why do I have to be mad when I'm stating mine?

Blk04MM
02-08-2013, 11:29 AM
UHHH...... I'm not mad!

Not u CWright :beer:

Just general

Blk04MM
02-08-2013, 11:30 AM
Who's getting mad??? :confused:

Just stating my opinion just like you are doing. Why do I have to be mad when I'm stating mine?

Ok cool ... It's all good then :beer:

CWright
02-08-2013, 11:32 AM
Not u CWright :beer:

Just general

10-4 :beer:

CBT
02-08-2013, 11:33 AM
Cops are people, too.
I never played the "i'm in the military" card, I would have punched him in the nads just for that, then gave his girlfriend my phone number.

screamn
02-08-2013, 11:34 AM
In before the lock.......

:popcorn::duel:

CWright
02-08-2013, 11:36 AM
Cops are people, too.
I never played the "i'm in the military" card, I would have punched him in the nads just for that, then gave his girlfriend my phone number.

:lol: :D :beer:

Blk04MM
02-08-2013, 11:39 AM
Cops are people, too.

Lol ...........

duhtroll
02-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Besides, Batman would kick Superman's sorry do-gooder a$$ any day of the week.

Mebot
02-08-2013, 11:52 AM
you guys keep spelling soldier wrong

Sent from my handheld Zack Morris iShoe 4S.

fastblackmerc
02-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Cops are people, too.

Nice!!!!! :beer:

justbob
02-08-2013, 11:53 AM
Officer was in the right. You do not chest up and move in on the popo. That was the only stupid move I saw.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

RF Overlord
02-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Besides, Batman would kick Superman's sorry do-gooder a$$ any day of the week.Kirk would kick Picard's ass because Kirk wasn't worried about politics or appearances.

Discuss.

Blk04MM
02-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Kirk would kick Picard's ass because Kirk wasn't worried about politics or appearances.

Discuss.

Lol ........

guspech750
02-08-2013, 11:59 AM
They are both ***** retarded.

Both need to learn respect.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

duhtroll
02-08-2013, 12:06 PM
Nerd! .

kirk would kick picard's ass because kirk wasn't worried about politics or appearances.

Discuss.

RF Overlord
02-08-2013, 12:14 PM
They are both ***** retarded. Kirk and Picard????? Blasphemy. Next you'll be saying Spock and Data had no sense of humour...

yjmud
02-08-2013, 12:18 PM
kid got just what he deserved if he wasn't military then the cop was over aggressive but he should have know better to be cocking off like that notice his whole attitude changed after the cop knelt on his chest

guspech750
02-08-2013, 12:19 PM
Kirk and Picard????? Blasphemy. Next you'll be saying Spock and Data had no sense of humour...

:lol:

No no.

The two yahoos in the video.

Admiral Bill Adama and his Executive Officer Saul Tigh from Battlestar Galactica (2004-2010) would lay waste to all Trekies.

:)

Sent from my iPhone 4S

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

MOTOWN
02-08-2013, 12:23 PM
The boy was 100% wrong! Funny how people who have never done this job like to take all day to Monday morning quarterback it with all the time in the world with no threat to life/safety

Walk up on me and you get dropped every time period! Kudos to the officer for officer safety!

BlackOps
02-08-2013, 12:41 PM
Ohh rah!!! Get some!!

vkirkend
02-08-2013, 12:44 PM
What he said!

YOU DO NOT DO THAT!!!

I'm with him, the kid was WAY out of line. YOU ALWAYS respect the uniform!!! The kid wasn't in uniform and anyone can claim their military.......

Mac-MerC
02-08-2013, 03:00 PM
cop was wrong, i hope he loses his badge

Gordy
02-08-2013, 03:28 PM
Ha, that's great. He was not even a real soldier, everybody miss the part at the end where he said he was Reserves. Lol, a 19yr old weekend warrior that had to much fun playing ROTC in high school and thinks he is a bad azz would get no respect from me either.

I have seen this situation reversed, with a very calm and collective real soldier (who never mentioned it once to the officer) and a cop wanting to flex his muscle and man o man, wish I had a tape of that to show you how that went hahaha

GAMike
02-08-2013, 03:58 PM
For my .02, I think the cop was right here.... (and he did not need military gear either.... reference to another posting)

Cop does not know if the kid is on sumthin, has a weapon or whatever..... Down here in GA, cops regard the use of profanity as a degree of Assault......... At the very least they feel it gives them probable cause to escalate the situation in order to control the outcome..........

If the guy stood his ground (not moved forward) and avoided the use of profanity, we would not have had this video to watch........

People need to get a clue about appropriate behaviour, situational awareness/control......

Civilians controling a situation, where a police officer is responding to a call is a very rare thing. There were claims of assault, theft, vandalism ect. for this call that was responded too.... The officers should be expected to be on guard.....

Was the officer a d-bag? Maybe..... But if he was responding to a call in a high crime area, this may be SOP for dealing with uncooperatives.... Who knows...... I just know, that I never use profanity when talking to a police officer and I never step forward if I have a point to make with them.... Its not worth an officer misreading a situation and you getting bounced off your head because of it....

DOOM
02-08-2013, 04:27 PM

Won't happen! If you watched the 2nd video. Internal affairs did an investigation and found he didn't do anything wrong.

Cop wasn't wrong!

AConvertedChevy
02-08-2013, 05:14 PM
My take..

Soldier Bro has a right to state a fact and/or an opinion aka " It took you 45 minutes to get here"(was a punk in the delivery). Officer has a right to "step to" if he feels the guy is a threat (language and behavior are acceptable as evidence to this) or has the potential to harm the officers, others or property. A person has the right to defend themselves, even if its a grotesque threat from an officer acting aggressively without any reason to merit the level of response. The person should have acknowledged there was tension and tried defuse the situation first, as should the Officer. Soldier Bro's method was getting back in the officers face(F****** Stupid) and the officers method was punching Soldier Bro in the face(not a merited response IMO).

I'd like to lean towards the LEO in this case, probably because the Bro put his chest out and was not acting like a true US Soldier. But that doesn't matter at all, because they both haven't shown the true colors of proud servicemen to their best abilities. Its like the values wore off, they both weren't acting professionally at all.

And the Reserves didn't win any good PR here either lol

Off the soapbox now:D

MM2004
02-08-2013, 07:24 PM

Once again Mac,

You have expressed the LEO was in the wrong. As I expected you would.

There are good cops. There are not so much good cops.

The good ALWAYS outweighs the bad. But not in your case, as proclaimed.

Since you "skirted" on the subject, I'll bring it to a head...

Black or white makes no difference. Yet you feel you're discriminated against for getting pulled over bacause you're black?

You're ridin' dirty as you admit, with illegal tint, yet you claim you're doing nothing wrong?

Your negativity towards LEO's is over the top. As you do no wrong?

Really?

cat in the hat
02-08-2013, 10:28 PM
Having everything you do and say all day recorded, and then having it broadcast around the globe so every douchebag on Earth can offer their opinion, as if it means something, blows.
No other profession has to put up with this crap.

marauder21
02-08-2013, 10:58 PM
Just my .02
The kid did say someone was trying to rob him that he was getting beat up by two guys that where in his living room :confused:
That and the kid said he had to wait 45 minutes for them to arrive...maybe the kid AND the LEO were having a bad day :(

PonyUP
02-08-2013, 11:05 PM
Just my .02
The kid did say someone was trying to rob him that he was getting beat up by two guys that where in his living room :confused:
That and the kid said he had to wait 45 minutes for them to arrive...maybe the kid AND the LEO were having a bad day :(

Except how does the LEO know he was telling the truth?

The main could say he was the Easter bunny, the LEO still needs to access the situation safely

The Ice Bucket Approves of this message

Blk04MM
02-08-2013, 11:23 PM
Ha, that's great. He was not even a real soldier, everybody miss the part at the end where he said he was Reserves. Lol, a 19yr old weekend warrior that had to much fun playing ROTC in high school and thinks he is a bad azz would get no respect from me either.

I have seen this situation reversed, with a very calm and collective real soldier (who never mentioned it once to the officer) and a cop wanting to flex his muscle and man o man, wish I had a tape of that to show you how that went hahaha

I wonder if its on YouTube somewhere. Lol

Gordy
02-09-2013, 07:03 AM
I wonder if its on YouTube somewhere. Lol

Lol, no telling. I guess some memories are best left unrecorded.

lji372
02-09-2013, 07:08 AM
hard to believe this thing is still going.
a punk being a punk and a cop being a prick go figure :/

1stMerc
02-09-2013, 07:30 AM
It's the "Alpha Syndrone". Someone has to prove superior.

Bluerauder
02-09-2013, 08:01 AM
I never played the "I'm in the military" card .....

Me either. I knew it was gonna go down hill as soon as he made that statement like it made a damn difference. :rolleyes:

Ha, that's great. He was not even a real soldier, everybody miss the part at the end where he said he was Reserves.

What makes you ^^^^^ think that a reservist is "not a real soldier". Obviously you have zero experience on the subject. Since Bosnia in the mid-1990's (nearly 20 years ago), the US Army Reserves (USAR) and Army National Guard (ARNG) and all branches of the service for that matter have been deployed to Iraq, Afghanistan, and other worldwide locations nearly as much as active duty personnel. Its had to be that way since the active component just can't handle all of the requirements without burning out their people. Even then, some AC folks have had 4-5 or even more deployments in their career.

Ain't no such thing as a weekend warrior anymore. Get with the times !!!

I agree that there is wrong on both sides. The kid was verbally aggressive first. The cop countered with a step forward to get in his face. The kid countered with his own step forward to prove a point. That lead to the sucker punch by the officer. Totally unnecessary and there was a better way to defuse the situation. Classic "Alpha" behavior and response. I understand BOTH points of view and there is enough poor behavior on both sides of this situation.

Something overlooked in this entire situation is the OTHER officer on the scene didn't even say a word or help to defuse the problem or get him off the kid's chest. Based on what I saw ..... the use of that level of force was really not necessary.

ROCOB
02-09-2013, 08:04 AM
I am really enjoying this thread, it removes doubt. There are some not so smart types in the world, case and point the 19 yo that used his affiliation with the reserves in an effort garner some respect. He most certainly did not paint a good portrait of the reserves.

The LEO/marine (as there are no former marines) could have possibly handled it better, it is easy to play Monday morning QB, and all I got to see was the video. I am sure that the LEO's perspective is different than mine.

Have you ever been at work, busting your A$$ all day and the one time you decide to rest, the boss walks in and catches you resting? He did not see you working, just resting. It is like watching a snapshot out of a movie and deriving conclusions based on the snapshot and not the movie in it's entirety.

"Funny how people who have never done this job like to take all day to Monday morning quarterback it with all the time in the world with no threat to life/safety" I agree with Roger on this.

I am curious as to what constitutes a real soldier??? Based on what I interpreted from some of the posts, it is a title worthy for active duty only. As a former active duty type and current reservist I have been on both sides of the fence. Back in the active duty days we poked fun of the reservist and national guard types, all in good humor. As a reservist we do the same with our active duty counterparts.

I offer a suggestion to anyone that thinks the reserves or national guard is not real, join. You may get the luxury of getting deployed to some third world paradise with the real soldiers. Now while you are there you may encounter some "difficult times", keep in mind that when things get "busy" you can tell your opposition that you are not a real soldier, and you can be excused from the situation. Believe me, "they" will totally understand.

Gordy
02-09-2013, 08:38 AM
There is a big difference from being an active duty soldier who after his time on active duty, moves to the reserves or being a Reserve soldier who has spent years on active status serving his time overseas.

Any soldier, on both sides of what I just mentioned, would have quickly identified this kid as nothing more than a punk that played dress up in high-school, got pumped up by the schools recruiter, and has just recently returned from his 9 weeks in baby boot camp and is ready to claim his status as a soldier. He is not a soldier in mine and my brothers Army. No true soldier conducts themselves in this manner.

My statements were in joking manner before, but I will stand by my beliefs that at the time of this incident, this kid had not earned the right to claim himself a soldier.

Bluerauder
02-09-2013, 10:05 AM
He is not a soldier in mine and my brothers Army. No true soldier conducts themselves in this manner.

I don't necessarily disagree with your stated sentiment. However, if he is wearing the uniform .... he is a soldier. Not all soldiers are created equal. There's always the 5% who never get the word and never make the grade. I suspect the kid in the video may have been an in-and-out quickly kind of soldier.

That said, I think that "we" have created this monster with the "Thank You for Your Service" campaign that has been so prevalent in recent years or the "Welcome Home Heroes" movement. Not everyone is a hero in the true sense of the word. It diminishes the value of the real heroes.... the ones like Audie Murphy, Alvin York, Roy Benavidez and others who didn't come home. The ones who risked everything and sometimes lost all to help their fellow comrades in arms. In fact, I get kinda embarrased when I even hear that "Thank You for Your Service" comment. Sometimes it just sounds so trite to me. I generally just smile and don't know what to say. But that is JMHO.

True heroes and soldiers "are just doing their job". Most never get the chance to see if they really have the mettle to be a real hero ... to step forward under fire and disregard personal safety to help a fellow soldier. Even the ones who do almost universally state that "it was nothing ... anyone would have done it in similar situations." The truth is that NOT everyone can or will do it. Some just move instinctively.

Also IMHO, a true soldier or hero doesn't get "GOT 2" or "VALOR" on Bronze Star vanity license plates. But I tend to see those (or similar) alot in the past 10 years or so. The quiet and reserved heroes seem to have disappeared in favor of the Look at Me FaceBook heroes.

This is all a personal opinion so :flamer:

Gordy
02-09-2013, 10:18 AM
I don't necessarily disagree with your stated sentiment. However, if he is wearing the uniform .... he is a soldier. Not all soldiers are created equal. There's always the 5% who never get the word and never make the grade. I suspect the kid in the video may have been an in-and-out quickly kind of soldier.

That said, I think that "we" have created this monster with the "Thank You for Your Service" campaign that has been so prevalent in recent years or the "Welcome Home Heroes" movement. Not everyone is a hero in the true sense of the word. It diminishes the value of the real heroes.... the ones like Audie Murphy, Alvin York, Roy Benavidez and others who didn't come home. The ones who risked everything and sometimes lost all to help their fellow comrades in arms. In fact, I get kinda embarrased when I even hear that "Thank You for Your Service" comment. Sometimes it just sounds so trite to me. I generally just smile and don't know what to say. But that is JMHO.

True heroes and soldiers "are just doing their job". Most never get the chance to see if they really have the mettle to be a real hero ... to step forward under fire and disregard personal safety to help a fellow soldier. Even the ones who do almost universally state that "it was nothing ... anyone would have done it in similar situations." The truth is that NOT everyone can or will do it. Some just move instinctively.

Also IMHO, a true soldier or hero doesn't get "GOT 2" or "VALOR" on Bronze Star vanity license plates. But I tend to see those (or similar) alot in the past 10 years or so. The quiet and reserved heroes seem to have disappeared in favor of the Look at Me FaceBook heroes.

This is all a personal opinion so :flamer:

For the most part from what im reading, we are in 95% agree, I just will never accept the uniform makes the soldier, its just something a soldier wears from time to time

DEFYANT
02-09-2013, 11:02 AM
The boy was 100% wrong! Funny how people who have never done this job like to take all day to Monday morning quarterback it with all the time in the world with no threat to life/safety

Walk up on me and you get dropped every time period! Kudos to the officer for officer safety!

This is where I stopped reading this thread. Because this is what was running through my mind as I read every post on here. Bingo, on the money and perfect!

Check please, I'm done :beatnik:

sailsmen
02-09-2013, 11:13 AM
So if anybody shows anybody "disrespect" they should act this way? Is this the standard that has been set?
Don't give me that "in the interest of safety BS". The Gov't will but a bullet in your head in the interest of safety.

sailsmen
02-09-2013, 11:15 AM
The video is an interview of Ashton O'Dwyer, a well known New Orleans atty who I have known for 20 years. After Katrina he was getting some press and was highly critical of the Gov't. It appears he filed the first Class Action suit against the Gov't over Katrina.
HE did subsequent to his "arrest" say some things he should not have said but if my Gov't did to me what they did to him I would have said a lot more!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt1lgUNKBMQ

I have not found any where, including in court where his statements were filed, that they have been refuted.

DEFYANT
02-09-2013, 11:18 AM
So if anybody shows anybody "disrespect" they should act this way? Is this the standard that has been set?
Don't give me that "in the interest of safety BS". The Gov't will but a bullet in your head in the interest of safety.

Guess you and those like you have never been viciously attacked by someone who walked up on you. I learned long ago, any aggressive posturing that close is going to end badly for me unless I take action first!

Mods, please...... lock and or delete this crap!

sailsmen
02-09-2013, 11:27 AM
It's insulting, it's rude, it's free speech: James Gill
By James Gill, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
on October 02, 2011 at 1:17 AM
Print
Brought to you by
Anyone inclined to root for the underdog will have to rejoice that Ashton O'Dwyer has finally won a round. Dogs don't get
much more under than O'Dwyer, who before Katrina was a well regarded maritime lawyer with a leading New Orleans firm.
Now he is on his own, bankrupt and banned from both state and federal courts. He has, though never convicted, been jailed
twice. He is entirely responsible for his own downfall, but it would have been a punishment too far had the feds succeeded in
their attempt to convict him of a crime that carries a maximum sentence of five years.
The feds were certainly keen to nail O'Dwyer for sending
what they alleged was a threatening email to the bankruptcy
court early last year. O'Dwyer was hauled off to the St.
Bernard Parish jail, where he spent a month before bail was
granted, but U.S. District Judge Donald Walter threw out the
indictment, ruling that the email did not suggest that court
officials were at risk of harm.
O'Dwyer had not suffered enough to satisfy the U.S.
Attorney's office, however, and the appeals court was asked
to reinstate the indictment. A unanimous panel has now ruled
that Walter was quite right, leaving O'Dwyer to savor the
rare sensation of vindication.
The email sought permission to pay for an anti-depressant
refill with Social Security money, but O'Dwyer is evidently incapable of penning any communication that does not include at
least a passing reference to "crooked" federal judges and other assorted "scoundrels." But, in asking what would happen if he
became suicidal or homicidal without his meds, O'Dwyer was not threatening anyone, and was thus within his First
Amendment rights, Walter decided. O'Dwyer, Walter wrote, was just begging for help.
What Walter termed the "coarse language" of the email is also an O'Dwyer trademark, and his habit of peppering court
pleadings with insults and racist abuse is one of the reasons he is persona non grata at the bar. O'Dwyer admits to a taste for
"hyperbole." That may be a severe understatement, but it was a mistake to make a federal case out of it.
The last time O'Dwyer was before the federal appeals court as a party to litigation, he did not fare so well. O'Dwyer filed suit
over his arrest shortly after Katrina when he was thrown in a makeshift hoosegow at the Union Passenger Terminal. However
disagreeable his later sojourn in the St. Bernard Parish jail may have been, this arrest was much more painful.
http://blog.nola.com/opinions_impact/print.html?entry=/2011/10/its_insulting_its_rude_its_fre .html[1/16/2013 6:26:02 PM]
O'Dwyer, having been collared while enjoying a late-night glass of wine in his own driveway on St. Charles Avenue, was
confined to a metal cage, where he was pepper-sprayed and shot with beanbag rounds over a period of 16 hours. He was
never charged and has photographs of injuries that look mighty nasty.
O'Dwyer at the time was something of a national celebrity, having decided to live a "Robinson Crusoe existence" rather than
obey the mandatory evacuation order. He announced he was seceding from the union, which was obviously a joke, and that
anyone trying to evict him would be met with gunfire, which did not sound so far-fetched. If he was serious, however, he
changed his mind for he yielded to arrest peacably.
That arrest, O'Dwyer later alleged in a lawsuit, followed a meeting of big shots at which his antics were discussed. According to
O'Dwyer, state Supreme Court Justice Kitty Kimball said, "Somebody has to shut that guy up; he's giving us all a bad name,"
and Charles Plattsmier, chief of the Office of Disciplinary Counsel, offered to check O'Dwyer out.
Kimball, Plattsmier and a couple of state troopers asked the appeals court to throw out the suit, after trial judge Ginger
Berrigan declined to do so. The appeals court, no friend of the underdog these days, obliged.
Not only has O'Dwyer received no recompense but there has been no move to discipline his persecutors while he gets thrown
in jail over a stupid email. It is time for him to disappear from the headlines, unless he finds some other way to irritate the
authorities. With O'Dwyer, that can never be ruled out.
•••••••
James Gill is a columnist for The Times-Picayune. He can be reached at jgill@timespicayune.com.

MM2004
02-09-2013, 11:28 AM
I swear, this site never ceases to amaze me.

That, and also can just piss me off!

Go play with your cars!