PDA

View Full Version : live in new england and dont own a snow blower?

bill64
02-09-2013, 04:26 PM
well I had an issue with a neighbor a couple houses down involving snow removal. I have a older f250 w/plow for my own use. I have told these people I dont plow for a living, I work full time so dont count on me to clean up your property. I had helped them out as a favor in the past, as well as the last storm a few weeks back. they were flagging me down again today. this would have been the third time I told them I dont do snow removal for a living. I just ignored them! these people moved here from down south to massachusetts in the mid 70's...and still dont own a snow blower...wtf?
I felt like giving them a dime to call someone who gives a F...:)

jerrym3
02-09-2013, 05:16 PM
I'm in north Jersey, I just turned 70, I have a 7 car driveway, a deck, and a walkway, and I don't own a snowblower.

My neighbor offers to snowblow my driveway on bad storms. I respectfully decline.

My dad shoveled into his mid 80's. He died from dimentia, but his heart was healthy.

Mom's heart gave out at 85, but she was a smoker.

It's all in the genes.

nh muscle
02-09-2013, 05:19 PM
I have had the same snow blower for 18 years. The same wife for 24 years which one will be with me for 30??!!!

bill64
02-09-2013, 05:46 PM
I'm in north Jersey, I just turned 70, I have a 7 car driveway, a deck, and a walkway, and I don't own a snowblower.

My neighbor offers to snowblow my driveway on bad storms. I respectfully decline.

My dad shoveled into his mid 80's. He died from dimentia, but his heart was healthy.

Mom's heart gave out at 85, but she was a smoker.

It's all in the genes.
thats the way my grand parents lived! god bless you !!!

Shaijack
02-09-2013, 06:45 PM
I also do not own a snow blower.

Bigdogjim
02-09-2013, 06:51 PM

Funny guy:lol:

ps: I hope you never need one.

Bigdogjim
02-09-2013, 06:53 PM
well I had an issue with a neighbor a couple houses down involving snow removal. I have a older f250 w/plow for my own use. I have told these people I dont plow for a living, I work full time so dont count on me to clean up your property. I had helped them out as a favor in the past, as well as the last storm a few weeks back. they were flagging me down again today. this would have been the third time I told them I dont do snow removal for a living. I just ignored them! these people moved here from down south to massachusetts in the mid 70's...and still dont own a snow blower...wtf?

It's not bad where I live now lots of pick ups on the street have plows. I have had a snow blower since '96.

Ms. Denmark
02-09-2013, 07:29 PM

RacerX
02-09-2013, 07:36 PM
I have had the same snow blower for 18 years. The same wife for 24 years which one will be with me for 30??!!!
So you made her use a shovel for 6 years??? :eek:

NavySeabee
02-09-2013, 07:41 PM
:beer:
Around here neighbors actually give a f*** about each other.:beer:

NavySeabee
02-09-2013, 07:43 PM
So you made her use a shovel for 6 years??? :eek:

:rofl:^^^^^^^^^

ajdereicup
02-09-2013, 08:19 PM
No snowblower at my house but have one at my grandmas. I don't use it unless its crazy deep though. Good exercise until you realize the driveways a lot longer then you remembered then get annoyed at not using the snow blower.

License2Bill
02-09-2013, 08:26 PM
My driveway is close to 200 feet long. Don't have a plow. You bet your sweet arse I've got a snowblower. The thing is, as soon as my driveway is done, I go help the neighbors. Occasionally, I'll make a little money too. There was a guy going around with a commercial back-hoe this morning charging upwards of $150 depending on the length of the driveway. He probably made close to 2 grand today.

guspech750
02-09-2013, 08:43 PM

I see what you wrote there. :lol:

Sent from my iPhone 4S

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

guspech750
02-09-2013, 08:47 PM
I have a snow thrower and I always do the sidewalks. Sometimes if there is lots of snow. I'll just do my one neighbors driveway without asking. They are busy taking care of the wife's mother.

But man, I do like to see the younger people struggle though. If you can afford a home. Go get a snow thrower too.

Unless you like to shovel. Then what Evs.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

nh muscle
02-09-2013, 08:49 PM
She learned the hard way!! Next I'm gonna get her a vaccination so she can give up that old boom and dustpan! Just kidding!

Shaijack
02-09-2013, 09:30 PM
Joey it did snow here about 5 years ago. I do have a boat. HAHA

Spectragod
02-10-2013, 07:29 AM
Joey it did snow here about 5 years ago. I do have a boat. HAHA

And a source for awesome King Cake......... :drool: :bows:

jerrym3
02-10-2013, 07:41 AM
I have a snow thrower and I always do the sidewalks. Sometimes if there is lots of snow. I'll just do my one neighbors driveway without asking. They are busy taking care of the wife's mother.

But man, I do like to see the younger people struggle though. If you can afford a home. Go get a snow thrower too.

Unless you like to shovel. Then what Evs.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Unless the weather's a real dog, I actually do like to shovel. But I also like to exercise two out of three days. And, it's definitely NOT a matter of affordability.

But, I have two shovels. One is the typical snowshovel, while the one I use mostly has a plow type head and a very curved handle.

Using that shovel, I rarely have to bend. Great arm exercise.

If we get a really large storm, I pace myself, shovel, go back inside, and finish up later.

When my doctor says to cut back, then I'll make changes.

guspech750
02-10-2013, 07:51 AM
Unless the weather's a real dog, I actually do like to shovel. But I also like to exercise two out of three days. And, it's definitely NOT a matter of affordability.

But, I have two shovels. One is the typical snowshovel, while the one I use mostly has a plow type head and a very curved handle.

Using that shovel, I rarely have to bend. Great arm exercise.

If we get a really large storm, I pace myself, shovel, go back inside, and finish up later.

When my doctor says to cut back, then I'll make changes.

I used to not mind shoveling snow. Most of the time I enjoyed it as it was a good way to exercise in the winter and just get outside and enjoy the winter weather.

But since I have developed really bad back conditions 7-8 years ago. I have lots of difficulty shoveling snow, even pushing a vacuum sucks(pun intended). :(

Perhaps I should look into that curved shovel.

Man, even the inch of snow I had in my drive a few nights ago was a real chore. :(

I miss being pain free:(

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Marauderjack
02-10-2013, 08:11 AM
What is a....."Snowblower'"?:confused:

bill64
02-10-2013, 09:42 AM
We don't have a snow blower. After Eric (Mr. Man) shovels us out he goes next door to shovel out our neighbors who don't have a snow blower either. Around here neighbors actually give a f*** about each other.
It's not that I dont give a F about the neighber's, It's having to tell them the same thing over and over again. it get's rather annoying. back when I bought my first house it did not take too long to realize i needed a snow blower as the city sidewalks were on the edge of the road and would get burried when the plows came by. and yes, I took care of my elderly neighbor without being asked and never asked to be paid for it.
I still stand by my statement, hell if you can afford a house owning a snowblower should be no problem. their a dime a dozen now days. I spent 3.5 hrs. yesterday between my plow and snow blower because I have a big driveway. today I finished up the back near the garage I have, another hour. I dident have to flag anyone down...yes, I cut my own grass as well ! :)

fastblackmerc
02-10-2013, 09:50 AM
It's not that I dont give a F about the neighber's, It's having to tell them the same thing over and over again. it get's rather annoying. back when I bought my first house it did not take too long to realize i needed a snow blower as the city sidewalks were on the edge of the road and would get burried when the plows came by. and yes, I took care of my elderly neighbor without being asked and never asked to be paid for it.
I still stand by my statement, hell if you can afford a house owning a snowblower should be no problem. their a dime a dozen now days. I spent 3.5 hrs. yesterday between my plow and snow blower because I have a big driveway. today I finished up the back near the garage I have, another hour. I dident have to flag anyone down...yes, I cut my own grass as well ! :)

I don't understand what the problem is???

If you don't want to do it, ignore them.

Just remember what goes around comes around.

bill64
02-10-2013, 10:06 AM
I don't understand what the problem is???

If you don't want to do it, ignore them.

Just remember what goes around comes around.
exactly what i did, ignored them. I was just venting yesterday. the problem was I have told them a few times that I dont plow for a living and dont really have the time...but they just dont get it. is far as what goes around comes around, maybe Ill bug the sh## out of them this summer to cut my grass....

fastblackmerc
02-10-2013, 10:09 AM
is far as what goes around comes around, maybe Ill bug the sh## out of them this summer to cut my grass....

That should do it!

bill64
02-10-2013, 10:20 AM
What is a....."Snowblower'"?:confused:
this is a snow blower !!

Bigdogjim
02-10-2013, 01:40 PM
^^^WOW! top of line model^^^ :up:

CBT
02-10-2013, 02:07 PM

Screw them. What's that old story about the ants and the grasshopper?

Ladyhawke
02-10-2013, 03:10 PM
^^^WOW! top of line model^^^ :up:

Looks small to me.

Bigdogjim
02-10-2013, 03:29 PM
Looks small to me.

Self-propelled, able to change direction with the joy stick on top. Older model's do not those items:( Electric start option. Plus it got one headlight:)

Ladyhawke
02-10-2013, 04:10 PM
Self-propelled, able to change direction with the joy stick on top. Older model's do not those items:( Electric start option. Plus it got one headlight:)

Still looks small, you ought to see Gordon's. Now that is a real machine. :banana2: :banana2: :banana2:

CBT
02-10-2013, 04:14 PM
Still looks small, you ought to see Gordon's. Now that is a real machine. :banana2: :banana2: :banana2:
Something tells me this is Gordon, highjacking an account....

Ladyhawke
02-10-2013, 04:15 PM
Something tells me this is Gordon, highjacking an account....

NOoooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

jerrym3
02-10-2013, 05:40 PM

My shovel, except for the headlight, has all the same features. LOL

bill64
02-10-2013, 05:51 PM
sorry, the pic makes it look small, lol...its actually a big machine..11 hp and 28" wide. it also has heated hand grips:banana:

jerrym3
02-10-2013, 05:53 PM
I used to not mind shoveling snow. Most of the time I enjoyed it as it was a good way to exercise in the winter and just get outside and enjoy the winter weather.

But since I have developed really bad back conditions 7-8 years ago. I have lots of difficulty shoveling snow, even pushing a vacuum sucks(pun intended). :(

Perhaps I should look into that curved shovel.

Man, even the inch of snow I had in my drive a few nights ago was a real chore. :(

Sent from my iPhone 4S

The shovel makes a BIG difference.

In the late 70's, I was in my attic, and I wallked off the main walkway. DUMB MOVE!

If you were outside, looking into my garage, you would have seen one leg dangling from the ceiling. I went full weight down, straddling a ceiling beam, just missing a VERY delicate location.

Anyway, three compressed discs, and nothing can be done to correct the problem.

When I walk around the old car shows, there's a point where I have to sit down, and then it's a b+++h to get up.

But, I can shovel for hours without a problem.

Has to be that shovel. There's no need to bend.

CBT
02-10-2013, 07:20 PM
The shovel makes a BIG difference.

In the late 70's, I was in my attic, and I wallked off the main walkway. DUMB MOVE!

If you were outside, looking into my garage, you would have seen one leg dangling from the ceiling. I went full weight down, straddling a ceiling beam, just missing a VERY delicate location.

Anyway, three compressed discs, and nothing can be done to correct the problem.

When I walk around the old car shows, there's a point where I have to sit down, and then it's a b+++h to get up.

But, I can shovel for hours without a problem.

Has to be that shovel. There's no need to bend.

I cringed just reading that, I cannot imagine how high the pucker factor was from where you were sitting, ouch!

Shaijack
02-10-2013, 07:40 PM
Ants and Grasshoppers?

MyBlackBeasts
02-10-2013, 09:51 PM

Ain't that the truth... :shake:

Bigdogjim
02-10-2013, 10:06 PM
Size does not make it "top of line".

CBT
02-11-2013, 04:11 AM
Ants and Grasshoppers?

Yeah, you never heard of it? The ants gathered food for the winter, and the grasshopper made fun of them and did burnouts in the parking lot at 2 AM instead of gathering food for the winter. Then winter came and the grasshopper had no food, and nothing to gather it in, because he wouldn't drive his Marauder in the snow. So he started a thread on .net asking the ants for food and shelter and they were all like " hey **** you, you drive a DTR" and the grasshopper froze to death the end.

Ms. Denmark
02-11-2013, 08:14 AM

Curless
02-11-2013, 09:05 AM
So this is just my 2 cents worth...we got 12-16 inches of wet nasty snow last Thursday, I worked till 12 p.m. and then drove home in a nasty snow storm, got home and my neighbor had plowed my driveway earlier in the day... WONDERFUL! Unfortunately the wife still got stuck as we got tons more snow...so I went to the barn to fire up the ole John Deere...of course it won't start, so after an hour I got it started and began plowing. At 3:30 in the morning I finished my two drives, then went over and plowed the neighbor that plowed me out...as I was backing into the barn I looked at the other neighbors drive...its 4 a.m. and I have to be to work at 8....I could not do it, pulled the tractor back out and cleared a straight path for them. I am not saying I am better than anyone, I am saying that I really appreciate the first guy helping me out.

fastblackmerc
02-11-2013, 09:25 AM
So this is just my 2 cents worth...we got 12-16 inches of wet nasty snow last Thursday, I worked till 12 p.m. and then drove home in a nasty snow storm, got home and my neighbor had plowed my driveway earlier in the day... WONDERFUL! Unfortunately the wife still got stuck as we got tons more snow...so I went to the barn to fire up the ole John Deere...of course it won't start, so after an hour I got it started and began plowing. At 3:30 in the morning I finished my two drives, then went over and plowed the neighbor that plowed me out...as I was backing into the barn I looked at the other neighbors drive...its 4 a.m. and I have to be to work at 8....I could not do it, pulled the tractor back out and cleared a straight path for them. I am not saying I am better than anyone, I am saying that I really appreciate the first guy helping me out.

:banana2::beer:

That's what I'm talking about. Help your neighbors, it will come back to you!

Spectragod
02-11-2013, 09:27 AM
Yeah, you never heard of it? The ants gathered food for the winter, and the grasshopper made fun of them and did burnouts in the parking lot at 2 AM instead of gathering food for the winter. Then winter came and the grasshopper had no food, and nothing to gather it in, because he wouldn't drive his Marauder in the snow. So he started a thread on .net asking the ants for food and shelter and they were all like " hey **** you, you drive a DTR" and the grasshopper froze to death the end.

Total fairytale........... everyone knows DTR's won't do burnouts.:D

RubberCtyRauder
02-11-2013, 09:34 AM
Get yourself one of these and problemo solved

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81y9XSQ9Ru0

Haggis
02-11-2013, 10:18 AM

Remember no good deed goes unpunished.

Curless
02-11-2013, 11:59 AM
:banana2::beer:

That's what I'm talking about. Help your neighbors, it will come back to you!

Yeah, my neighbor has helped me out many times with snow removal. Any chance I get to repay the favor I do so. Its really nice to know that if we get dumped on and my wife goes home first she can usually get in the garage safely.

bill64
02-11-2013, 02:41 PM
well everyone I guess my spouting off about the neighbor had bad carma...please dont get me wrong, Im actually a nice guy but was near wits end with the one neighbor. last night a old friend stopped by to show me his new truck and I sliped and fell in the driveway, fell flat on my back and hit my head, I have back issues to begin with and this diden't help. now Im in ALOT of pain. I went to work today and asked for a half day as Im hurting...got laid off! work is slow now and it is supposed to be a temp. lay off but you never know :)

Curless
02-11-2013, 03:52 PM
WTF??? No way...I am sorry to hear this...

bill64
02-11-2013, 04:46 PM
WTF??? No way...I am sorry to hear this...
thanks curless ! if they dont call me back a may have to dust off my old snap on tool box and get wrentching again...hope not!

jerrym3
02-11-2013, 05:14 PM
I noticed something recently.

There are a lot of Asians moving into my neighorhood in Bergen County, NJ. My block is almost 50% Asian.

1) they all shovel

2) none of them are overweight

guspech750
02-11-2013, 08:54 PM

Wait. Whaaaaaaaa?

Sent from my iPhone 4S

guspech750
02-11-2013, 08:56 PM
well everyone I guess my spouting off about the neighbor had bad carma...please dont get me wrong, Im actually a nice guy but was near wits end with the one neighbor. last night a old friend stopped by to show me his new truck and I sliped and fell in the driveway, fell flat on my back and hit my head, I have back issues to begin with and this diden't help. now Im in ALOT of pain. I went to work today and asked for a half day as Im hurting...got laid off! work is slow now and it is supposed to be a temp. lay off but you never know :)

Wow. That's really terrible man.

I'm glad you are ok.

:(

Sent from my iPhone 4S

CBT
02-11-2013, 08:58 PM

Did your neighbors help you when you were down? Like I said, screw them.

bill64
02-12-2013, 03:18 PM
Wow. That's really terrible man.

I'm glad you are ok.

:(

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Did your neighbors help you when you were down? Like I said, screw them.
thanks guy's !! Im sore as hell but Ill survive, been through worse in the past. not much fun getting older. Ill be eligable to sign up with aarp less than two years from now:banana::banana::banana:... I try not to worry about things much as life is too short !

fastblackmerc
02-12-2013, 03:24 PM

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Hope you get better and things work out for you!

DEFYANT
02-12-2013, 05:19 PM
I snow blowed the neighbors driveway years ago. Imagine my pleasure when I sno blowed his news paper! No, it didnt shred it into confetti! Stopped it dead and sheared the auger bolts! :(

I still help though...

stevengerard
02-12-2013, 09:35 PM
I never owned a snow-blower until a few years ago when a neighbor came by and said "give me $100 we are all pitching in to buy a blower." I'm glad I did, its stored at my house and we use it all the time (though I'm the only one who seems to buy gas). Usually me or my next door neighbor end up going down both sides of the block to at least give folks a break. This last snow (only 6 inches) I did everyone's sidewalk to their house as well. The neighbors have done it as well.

Sometimes I borrow my brother-in-laws plow, I can see how it would get irritating when everyone asks you to help them though. I suppose if you own a plow you could be doing it all night, where do you stop.

GAMike
02-12-2013, 10:49 PM
For all you guys with your own Snowblower....... http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/weather/winter_weather/snow-blower-injuries-across-the-state?ref=scroller&categoryId=10001&status=true

A shameless plug for my brother who was interviewed by his local TV station about snowblower related injuries....:banana2: Any you guys up in CT get injured... He's the guy to see:D

Fingers are not all he does:eek::lol:

Haggis
02-13-2013, 05:31 AM
thanks guy's !! Im sore as hell but Ill survive, been through worse in the past. not much fun getting older. Ill be eligable to sign up with aarp less than two years from now:banana::banana::banana:... I try not to worry about things much as life is too short !

Please do not do it.

HammerDown
02-13-2013, 05:44 AM
I never owned a snow-blower until a few years ago when a neighbor came by and said "give me $100 we are all pitching in to buy a blower." I'm glad I did, its stored at my house and we use it all the time (though I'm the only one who seems to buy gas). Usually me or my next door neighbor end up going down both sides of the block to at least give folks a break. This last snow (only 6 inches) I did everyone's sidewalk to their house as well. The neighbors have done it as well.

Sometimes I borrow my brother-in-laws plow, I can see how it would get irritating when everyone asks you to help them though. I suppose if you own a plow you could be doing it all night, where do you stop.

Hey, I was just going to tell the same story!! We, too, chipped in $100 with 3 other neighbors for a snow blower, oh about 10 years ago; since we are only ones with a garage, got to store it. It's works out great, and everyone chips in for the gas. After the two blizzards of 2010, haven't really used it much...........

jerrym3
02-13-2013, 06:04 PM
Please do not do it.

I signed up.

I use a discount deal that AARP has with an insurance company as my supplemental insurance. (Medicare is my primary).

Haggis
02-14-2013, 05:35 AM
I signed up.

I use a discount deal that AARP has with an insurance company as my supplemental insurance. (Medicare is my primary).

AARP is against our 2nd Amendment rights.

massacre
02-14-2013, 07:22 AM
Why was the snowman smiling?

-because the snowblower was coming.

^^^ sorry, 2nd grade joke.

I bought a new Ariens platinum series 30" snowblower this year, and I couldn't be happier. It didn't even clog up once, with 24+" of snow and my 100-ft gravel driveway. All my neighbors have snowblowers too so we just do our own driveways and I also have no sidewalks to do which makes it a lot easier.

My only beef is the chute control, I might have to build a stop for it because if I turn it all the way left, it wants to stay stuck in that posistion and not move back.
But the heated grips are nice, as well as the headlight for using it at night. It was kind of expensive but I can already see that it is a quality machine, I'm very glad I bought it.
I bought my Dad a canopy for his a few years ago, it's kind of a nylon tent affair with plastic windows that mounts to the machine and keeps you dry while using it. He loves his, I haven't decided whether I want one yet, guess we'll see.

jerrym3
02-14-2013, 08:07 AM
AARP is against our 2nd Amendment rights.

Well, then you can choose not to be an AARP member, but there's a lot of us older folks that are members.

Haggis
02-14-2013, 09:11 AM
Well, then you can choose not to be an AARP member, but there's a lot of us older folks that are members.

Your right, I will never be a member.

CBT
02-14-2013, 09:24 AM
Why was the snowman smiling?

-because the snowblower was coming.

Ziiiiiiiiiiiing!! :lol: