PDA

View Full Version : Mechanic's cars

Curless
02-15-2013, 07:49 PM
For those of you who don't think being a mechanic sux...our cars break too!

So its 5:30 and the week is done, my Chevy truck has been blowing brake light fuses now for a few weeks intermittently and tonight I am going to fix it. My wife goes home (26 miles) and leaves me here at the shop to repair it. I throw a new headlight and brake light switch in cause parts of them crossover in the wiring. Check everything out and I am happy. Its 7 or so now (talked to a bunch of friends that always stop by on Friday nights, it does not take that long to do the job) and I hop on the internet to check out the sites. Now its quarter to nine and I wanna go home. I pull the truck out of the shop and the dash lights go out, the headlights dim, the engine pulls down and the alternator starts screamin....then the smoke pours out of the steering column:eek:....what the ???? Now I have no brake lights at all, the fuses are burnt, the wiring to the brake light switch is melted and I have no way home at 9 p.m.........call the wife, ask her to come get me. Meanwhile start tearing the steering column apart...there it is, the tilt wheel mechanism has ripped through the coating on the turn signal switch and shorted to ground inside the steering column....Joy...

If you have never seen this wiring changed out before its a fantastic job to do...NOT. Guess I know what I am doing Saturday morning huh?

There, rant over...I feel better now!

L.Mark
02-15-2013, 08:05 PM
I smell Murphy's Law in the air. Man that sucks. At least it was on the weekend and happened before you left the shop and didn't leave you stranded. Thats what I try to tell myself anyway. Hope it all works out...

lji372
02-15-2013, 08:16 PM
man that sucks. unfortunately it takes bad days to have good ones. just think of all the money your saving fixing it yourself. start an account and save all the money you would have spent on paying mechanics and use it to buy that s/c'd marauder :beer:

MyBlackBeasts
02-15-2013, 09:21 PM
Oh wow! That's my favorite type of repair!!! I love electrical, dash & column work! Wish I was there. Have fun...

Curless
02-16-2013, 12:49 PM
Well, got her fixed up...new turn signal switch, brake light switch that was just replaced melted, and the wires coming out of the brake light switch were gone about 3 inches up...all better now...Now I can go play!

Mr. Man
02-16-2013, 02:57 PM
I had a GMC that used to blow right side rear turn signal bulbs weekly. Finally told it if it didn't stop doing that I was going to give it a bath. Never blew a bulb again and I never washed it again. Coincidence?

Motorhead350
02-17-2013, 02:04 PM
Thats Chevy for you.

Curless
02-18-2013, 07:06 AM
Thats Chevy for you.

Too bad Ford does not build a really gas engine for a truck, their last real engine was in the era of the 300 6, the 302, and the 351W...you could not give me a Ford truck with a gas engine...no pushrods = no torque...no torque = poop gas mileage and no grunt.