PDA

View Full Version : New CD Player For My Big Blue Ship!

woaface
03-08-2004, 03:09 PM
Just ordered the CD player for my car. It's a Panasonic MXE CQ-C5410U. Has a tilting screen and a wireless remote. All the cool stuff! Since it's not a double din, it will go all the way to the top or bottom, whichever I decide, and a cubby pocket will fill the rest of the space. Whoo! Can't wait, should be here in a week or two.

The unit costs $240 on Crutchfield, and it's about the same at Circuit City or Best Buy. I paid $250 for it, tools needed, wiring harness, warrenty, some radio wiring thing and shipping.

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/images/LargerPhoto/CQ-C5410U.jpg

darebren
03-09-2004, 10:25 AM
did you get an adapter to use the steering wheel controls too? what part number is that wiring harness for the remote wheel controls...do you think the radio will snap into the OEM connectors, or did you have to get a new adapter there too, what part numbers? thanks...

woaface
03-09-2004, 10:29 AM
did you get an adapter to use the steering wheel controls too? what part number is that wiring harness for the remote wheel controls...do you think the radio will snap into the OEM connectors, or did you have to get a new adapter there too, what part numbers? thanks...
I won't know the part numbers for all that until the unit gets here. Remember, I drive an older Marquis...the steering wheel controls for audio like the ones you guys have were only in Lincolns at the time. I'm thinking I have a new adaptor for the OEM connectors but I'm not 100% sure, I'll post pictures or what not from the install and all.

LNYTUNS
03-09-2004, 11:18 AM
Just ordered the CD player for my car. It's a Panasonic MXE CQ-C5410U. Has a tilting screen and a wireless remote. All the cool stuff! Since it's not a double din, it will go all the way to the top or bottom, whichever I decide, and a cubby pocket will fill the rest of the space. Whoo! Can't wait, should be here in a week or two.

The unit costs $240 on Crutchfield, and it's about the same at Circuit City or Best Buy. I paid $250 for it, tools needed, wiring harness, warrenty, some radio wiring thing and shipping.

I have been putting Panasonic in every car I have ever had and Fords seem to be very accomodating for Panasonic gear. Crutchfield will supply all of the wiring harnesses to plug into the exisiting wiring. I have a similar deck in my 88 Marquis, you like yours. Good Luck.

woaface
03-09-2004, 02:13 PM
I have been putting Panasonic in every car I have ever had and Fords seem to be very accomodating for Panasonic gear. Crutchfield will supply all of the wiring harnesses to plug into the exisiting wiring. I have a similar deck in my 88 Marquis, you like yours. Good Luck.\

Thanks man, I'll be proud of it I know. I'm not getting it from Crutchfield though...I'm getting it from my brother.

lgetz
03-09-2004, 05:27 PM
Woaface, I'd recommend you mount the stereo on the bottom with pocket on top. Just easier to read the face and reach the controls that way. P.S. if you don't know how to install, save yourself some grief and get a qualified person to do it.

woaface
03-09-2004, 05:56 PM
Woaface, I'd recommend you mount the stereo on the bottom with pocket on top. Just easier to read the face and reach the controls that way. P.S. if you don't know how to install, save yourself some grief and get a qualified person to do it.
That's what I was thinking mounting wise.

I'll have a highly qualified person on the phone with me and I'm confident with myself. Although it's my first time in a car I love doing these kinds of things and I'm very careful, steady-handed, and cautious. I don't want to spend the money having someone else do it.

woaface
03-11-2004, 07:46 AM
Just got word, the unit comes Wednesday, but my brother mumbled something about I'll be getting a different unit with all the same stuff...I don't care, as long as something in that car plays CDs!!!

woaface
03-23-2004, 04:32 PM
I have two pictures...
It's a great unit, does the MP3 thing...but thank God no jumping dolphins:uzi:

Sounds great, a lot better than the stock thing...if I go with some subs later on (2-4 12 inchers) I can just turn the bass down inside the cabin, and up the subs. The stock speakers sound a LOT better than what I expected. I suppose the 50watt amp from the head unit helps. All I'd need then is two amps and some tweeters!

The cabin the unit goes in at the bottom is bowed out a little, but I've fixed that. The top is naturally bowed like that.

http://jamesgspics.homestead.com/DSC03006.JPG
http://jamesgspics.homestead.com/DSC03005.JPG
http://jamesgspics.homestead.com/DSC03002.JPG

Bigdogjim
03-23-2004, 04:49 PM
Looking good!!

Congrats!

woaface
03-23-2004, 06:08 PM
Yup BDJ, sure does!

Install was a slight pain in the rear because I had to re-strip one of the wires and that took a while to get it back into where it was supposed to be.

Also, the way it slides in, it was best to put the CD player half way in, all plugged up and then reach back, and tuck the extra bunch of wires way back as far as they can (which is behind a lil' plastic plate) and then slip the plastic mounting cover around it, and then push it in and it'll click.

I love the sound compared to stock by the way:up:

lgetz
03-24-2004, 12:12 AM
Nice James. Now don't fib. Did you install it with no help?:D

woaface
03-24-2004, 06:47 AM
None at all...which is why it was completely set a day later after I slept on it:beer:

I've been doing installation stuff with home stereo's since I started mine a couple years back, but I have never worked in such a tight space before!

joflewbyu2
03-24-2004, 07:04 AM
WHEN I INSTALLED MY CLARION, I installed it on the top and used the space below with the removable plate for the wire harness, RCAs, and the PAC SWIX (radio steering wheel button adapter). came out very very neat. Of course I bundled and zip tied every wire together and stripped each wire be careful to leave every strand while using a butt connector after twisting the wires together and a crimpping them.

woaface
03-24-2004, 07:35 AM
Hmm. Well, I did use 3 or 4 zip ties, but the directions said in about 80 different places "DO NOT INSTALL POCKET ON BOTTOM" So I figured, what the hell, and I did it anyways. Guess what...didn't fit! Although I like the look better and it would angle the player forward. Anyways, works out well.

joflewbyu2
03-24-2004, 07:59 AM
looks sharp !! must have different kits, as mine has a removable plate for an eq instead of a pocket. i optioned for this kit so i can mount the infra red eye of the pac swix adapter in the plate and be able to get to the wires and pac module to program the buttons. if i did not have the steering wheel radio buttons i probably would of got the kit you did. anyways, looks great!