PDA

View Full Version : Motor Trend comment on Ford

jerrym3
02-24-2013, 11:31 AM
Reading the latest Motor Trend, seems that Ford has a concern.

"Heartburn in Dearborn"

"Premium brands account for 12% of global automotive sales, but 50% of global automotive profits. Ford sold off all its premium brands a few years back, apart from moribund (their words, not mine) Lincoln".

Bottom line, Ford's market share in Europe is being squeezed by premium brands moving into smaller cars, while value brands, like Kia and Hyundai, are moving upstream

And, according to the article, that's starting to happen here in the USA. (A base M/Benz CLA will sell for 30K, while an AWD 350hp AMG will sell for under 50K.

Pretty interesting.

Bigdogjim
02-24-2013, 12:55 PM
Ford is still going with the top selling pick-up F-series 36 years now and working on a replacement for the #1 selling large van the E-series with the transit connect being made larger. Ford pulled the plug on the #1 selling large RWD car the Panther!

Mr. Man
02-24-2013, 01:56 PM
Ford is still going with the top selling pick-up F-series 36 years now and working on a replacement for the #1 selling large van the E-series with the transit connect being made larger. Ford pulled the plug on the #1 selling large RWD car the Panther!

The full size Transit is ugly. Might hold a lot of stuff but it's still ugly. Bet contractors are buying up the E-series in big numbers like police and cabbies did with the CV. I wonder when Ford will decide to kill off the 8' bed F-series and lose that contractor market as well.:shake:

Ford is going global with their products. Unfortunately Americans have different tastes than Europeans. Just because we ooh and aah over Aston Martins and Ferrari's doesn't translate into we want to drive everyday crappy European micro cars.

Bigdogjim
02-24-2013, 01:59 PM
Eric Ford is getting ready with a new larger version of the Transit Connect that looks a lot like the Sprinter.

Mr. Man
02-24-2013, 02:23 PM
Eric Ford is getting ready with a new larger version of the Transit Connect that looks a lot like the Sprinter.
I know and it's just as ugly as the Connect.

I am just starting to get used to the Sprinter after all these years. If I were still in the Biz I'd buy an E-series quick or hope the NV comes with a more fuel miser engine whenever Nissan gets their act together. While the 5.6l is a good strong engine it's not terribly fuel efficient. I'm getting 13mpg in town this Winter with the crappy Winter formula gas. Goes up to 14.5ish in the Summer. If I'm lucky I can squeeze 17mpg in the Summer on the Highway. What kills me is the darn tach needle is barely over 1200rpm at speed and the fuel economy is so bad.:mad2:

guspech750
02-24-2013, 03:27 PM

I saw it at the Chicago Auto Show. It looks larger than the E series. Just looks like a monster version of the Ford Transit Connect.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

RF Overlord
02-24-2013, 03:35 PM
I think the problem is that MOST Americans don't really care what their cars look like. Why else would we buy the Pontiac Aztek, the Nissan Murano, or the Subaru Tribeca, some of the ugliest cars on the planet? Why else would we buy cars like the Toyota Camry and the Honda Civic, and any Lexus ever made, some of the most BORING cars on the planet?

Sooner or later people's collective memory fades and they'll forget that we used to have REAL cars available, and all that will be left will be appliances.

MyBlackBeasts
02-24-2013, 03:56 PM
I think the problem is that MOST Americans don't really care what their cars look like. Why else would we buy the Pontiac Aztek, the Nissan Murano, or the Subaru Tribeca, some of the ugliest cars on the planet? Why else would we buy cars like the Toyota Camry and the Honda Civic, and any Lexus ever made, some of the most BORING cars on the planet?

Sooner or later people's collective memory fades and they'll forget that we used to have REAL cars available, and all that will be left will be appliances.

Yep.

The 1st I remember was the Caddilac Seville with the hippo-ass trunk. That thing was vomit-city! When the Aztek came out my 1st comment was "must have been the same design team as the hippo-caddy"!

guspech750
02-24-2013, 04:32 PM
Nissan Puke.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/25/u5use9yq.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 4S

MrBluGruv
02-24-2013, 04:46 PM

People don't engage in driving their cars any more. AT ALL.

Clarkson on Top Gear said something interesting last series when they reviewed that Brutus car with the BMW plane engine, something along the lines of "Nowadays, you get into a car and things just sort of happen for you."

No one thinks about driving, no one puts effort into it, no one cares about it. It's why sharing the road is such an antagonizing thing for people that dedicate even a single brain cell to the task.

MrBluGruv
02-24-2013, 04:48 PM
Nissan Puke.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/25/u5use9yq.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 4S

I'd rock a Juke-R :eek:

http://global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/Leisure/2009/juker1.jpg

guspech750
02-24-2013, 05:16 PM
I'd rock a Juke-R :eek:

http://global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/Leisure/2009/juker1.jpg

I'd rock it over a cliff.

:lol:

Sent from my iPhone 4S

jerrym3
02-24-2013, 05:50 PM

So, Ford's answer is the pickup truck? GM's also coming out with some new trucks and a rebirth of the SS, on an Australian platform.

I think Ford should have kept Mercury alive, upgraded it to moderate/Lincoln status, and pushed the Lincoln brand up into premium territory to compensate for dumping Jaguar and the other premium brands. (The new Jags look pretty damn good.)

Just might be too late for Lincoln now, unless they can do a "Caddy" turnaround.

Ford CEO wanted to dump Lincoln along with Mercury, but gave in to other execs.

Then what? All different levels of Fords?

Shaijack
02-24-2013, 07:37 PM
I have been looking at the T-Connect. 25K for that junk.... A empty box with a crappy engine and trans. Looks like, well you know.

Bigdogjim
02-24-2013, 10:38 PM
So, Ford's answer is the pickup truck? GM's also coming out with some new trucks and a rebirth of the SS, on an Australian platform.

I think Ford should have kept Mercury alive, upgraded it to moderate/Lincoln status, and pushed the Lincoln brand up into premium territory to compensate for dumping Jaguar and the other premium brands. (The new Jags look pretty damn good.)

Just might be too late for Lincoln now, unless they can do a "Caddy" turnaround.

Ford CEO wanted to dump Lincoln along with Mercury, but gave in to other execs.

Then what? All different levels of Fords?
Ford is sticking with what is bringing in the cash, has been for 36 years. Their car line is doing very good right now and they feel the van needs a make over? Old rule of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" does not seam to enter in the mind of the Ford Brass? Like other's have said Ford got away from RWD and GM i heading back with a new model? Strange stuff.

GAMike
02-25-2013, 05:02 AM
It used to be that we kept cars well passed their warrantee expirations..... Now the public has been convinced due to a combination of skyrocketing repair costs for repairs and a car being a major symbol of status, not to hold on to a car.... Soooo If one can capture all the status and cache' of a brand of car and not have to deal with repairs, they don't care what it looks like....

BMWs used to have clean pleasing lines.... Then they went all angular, but at the same time had free maintenance under warrantee.... The cars were uglier than the ones they replaced, but were more popular because of their upscale perception, marketing reinforcement and TCO while under warrantee..... American cars never cracked that code or never attempted too..... Volume more than profit per unit has always been the primary mission of the big 3... Sure some skunk works (SVT, SRT ect...) run counter to that (though they are built to a price as much as they claim they are built to a "market/audience"), but they account for miniscule sales in comparrison.

1 Bad Merc
02-25-2013, 12:28 PM
Ford sold out to the "Global Consumer" years ago. They have only kept the bigger p/u's because of the profit margin on them.

The large rwd sedan does not fit into their core market segment anymore (Europe/Asia) so it wont be back.

I personally think they have already screwed Lincoln up (especially with the new styling) and it will be just a matter of time until they are gone. I mean when a new taurus is approaching $35,000 -40,000 and the Mks is basically the same looking car with just some extra's and a hefty price tag increase do you really expect people to pay the premium to buy the Lincoln when it is almost the same as the Taurus?

Mr. Man
02-25-2013, 01:15 PM
I just moved a Focus SEL today and went out with one of the owners of the dealership and he was saying the Taurus is a slow seller. My local dealership sells a lot of F-series trucks and he said the Fiesta, Focus and Fusion are doing well enough. The rest of it he needs to sell for peanuts.

I liked the 2012 Focus but it could have used a lower highway gear. Kind of like driving a go kart.

ChiTownMaraud3r
02-25-2013, 01:23 PM
^ Ford and GM are also going to be sharing engines and transmissions for small vehicles..rumor has it.

Baaad GN
02-25-2013, 01:35 PM
Ford no longer has a large car thats selling well, especially Lincoln. I've always preferred large cars, see my age!!!!!! Here recently I purchased a MKZ. I love the car but would have preferred a large one. I just couldn't see the MKS and the price they are asking for it! A fancy taurus for sure. I drove the fusion which was nice but NOT as nice as the MKZ. Like the larger engine, interior etc.
Over all if my Son in law didn't not work for Ford I probably would have looked a lot more.
I remember that just about every year the car companies came out with new models, they'd put up paper on the windows so you could see them until a certain day, and in most cases it was exciting to see what they have, now?????????naaa! Not the same, and the foreign cars will continue to increase there market share if the big 3 don't change there policies.

ChiTownMaraud3r
02-25-2013, 01:47 PM
Ford no longer has a large car thats selling well, especially Lincoln. I've always preferred large cars, see my age!!!!!! Here recently I purchased a MKZ. I love the car but would have preferred a large one. I just couldn't see the MKS and the price they are asking for it! A fancy taurus for sure. I drove the fusion which was nice but NOT as nice as the MKZ. Like the larger engine, interior etc.
Over all if my Son in law didn't not work for Ford I probably would have looked a lot more.
I remember that just about every year the car companies came out with new models, they'd put up paper on the windows so you could see them until a certain day, and in most cases it was exciting to see what they have, now?????????naaa! Not the same, and the foreign cars will continue to increase there market share if the big 3 don't change there policies.

You would hate the new MKZ. Was at the auto show, no leg room, can't even adjust the pedals. And the plain shifter-less center console(button shifts on dash) screams I don't know **** about driving.

jerrym3
02-25-2013, 05:27 PM

I remember those dealer window covered days, especially covered with soap (I'm 70.) I can remember trying to see the 56 Ford in a showroom, and I also remember driving by the Ford Mahwah, NJ, plant, with my folks, and seeing the new 1956 Fords on trailers.

I remember peeking in a dealer back lot to see the 57 BelAir, and waiting for the 58 Edsel to be announced (my uncle bought one way back then).

I'm a Ford Z plan recipient, so I really haven't considered anything but a Ford for many years. However, except for the Mustang, I'm not that excited about their lineup.

But, no more new cars for me, anyway.

jerrym3
02-26-2013, 05:01 PM
From Motor Trend, April issue.

MT asked Ford for a Lincoln MKZ for a comparison article/test against a Nissan Maxima and Hyundai Azera. Lincoln P.R. refused; they wanted the Lincoln to be compared with other more premium brands.

Looks like they're serious about pushing Lincoln upstream; now, they need the product.

(Ford also refused to provide a Taurus for comparison.)

Nissan 0-60; 5.8 seconds. Pretty quick for a family sedan.

guspech750
02-26-2013, 06:27 PM
At the auto show. We were comparing the MKS and the BMW 535. And it did not compare to the BMW. Christ, the Hyundai Genisis R-Spec was much better than the MKS.

Good luck Lincoln.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

L.Mark
02-26-2013, 06:42 PM
Looooong time Lincoln fan and admirer and I agree. I'm surprised Lincoln has lasted this long. Whenever they get something halfway good I think they over or under think and do a me too redisign. Or worse, they go off in left field. I drove an 08 MKS. garnet red. I liked the way these looked, at least better than some of the other things they sell. It drove horrible. It had really low miles and I felt every pebble. Completely turned me off. Then they went and redisgned it with the Fusion rear end. Looks like they're trying to jump back on the designs of the Fords that are selling better. They are lost, and have been for decades. It really saddens me to see them neglected like Mercury, Olds, Pontiac, Plymouth. Saw awhile back a Continental concept. It was basically an updated version of the '63 Continental...you talk about sexy...Why they didn't produce that to replace the aging(not my words) TownCar I'd like to know.

L.Mark
02-26-2013, 06:47 PM
http://www.new-cars.com/concept/lincoln-continental-concept.html

Colors not bad.. nice car though...

jerrym3
02-26-2013, 06:58 PM
I still get a kick out of driving my wife's 2004 Lincoln LS 8 Sport. Peppy, and a decent handler.

But, based on the 0-60 Nissan spec up above, it looks like I better not challenge those Nissans at stop lights.

ChiTownMaraud3r
02-26-2013, 10:22 PM
I was just about to mention they seemed to be going the right direction with the Lincoln LS and they axed it. I feel like looking for a nice one, V8 for a daily. And the Nissan's are no joke..my Mom's brand new Murano has a weird transmission which you do not feel the shifts and gives it great acceleration while delivering decent gas mileage. I was impressed.