PDA

View Full Version : Elderly man in nursing home reacts to music of his era. MUST SEE.

Motorhead350
02-28-2013, 02:25 PM
Awesome, simply awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKDXuCE7LeQ

duhtroll
02-28-2013, 02:36 PM
Y'all remember that when the question of music in schools comes up. ;)

For more of Dr. Sacks search "musical minds" - it is a NOVA presentation from c.2008 IIRC. Some really cool stuff.

Baconbit
02-28-2013, 03:33 PM
Awesome video Dom! Thanks for sharing.

lji372
02-28-2013, 03:41 PM
put ole boy in a marauder and watch him perk up:eek:

License2Bill
02-28-2013, 04:24 PM
Not the first time I've seen this video. But it's just as awesome every time. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

bill64
02-28-2013, 04:27 PM
Awesome...If you have ever had a loved one in a nursing home you will agree...great link motorhead!

Gryphonzus
02-28-2013, 07:16 PM
Great video Dom Thanks for sharing! :beer:

cat in the hat
02-28-2013, 09:53 PM
I thought that was as depressing as hell . . .

mike P71
02-28-2013, 11:37 PM
Very moving video. Thanks Dom Depressing on one level and uplifting on another

guspech750
03-01-2013, 06:54 AM
Amazing. Refreshing to see a good story. Something you will not see in the media today.

Really nice find Dom!!

Sent from my iPhone 4S

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

martyo
03-01-2013, 07:34 AM
I thought that was as depressing as hell . . .

Yep, I would rather be dead than waiting to die.

jerrym3
03-01-2013, 08:18 AM
In a matter of months, my dad went from an 85 year old man that was still shoveling his driveway to sitting in a nursing home wheelchair looking like this guy, all doped up.

He didn't even know who I was when I visited.

Dementia.

He lasted about a month in the nursing home.

Good for this guy's reaction, but the "before" image is too common.

duhtroll
03-01-2013, 08:38 AM
Amazing. Refreshing to see a good story. Something you will not see in the media today.

Heh.

It IS in the media today. It is a clip from a documentary by Michael Rossato-Bennett. Not sure what you mean by "media" but there is a whole heck of a lot more out there than anyone could ever know.

All that is required to find things like this (and terabytes of other cool stuff) is to stop watching the TV channels with the scroll bars and BREAKING NEWS ALERTS KIM KARDASHIAN SEQUESTER BENGHAZI etc.

Maybe people would be much less angry if they ignored the fake outrage and hype -- just sayin'.

Motorhead350
03-01-2013, 01:01 PM
This is the mans favorite singer. You might remember him from The Blues Brothers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu8SUYwMnME

a_d_a_m
03-01-2013, 02:55 PM
Seen it before but always is nice to see again...

MMcactusflower
03-02-2013, 07:46 AM
There are many lessons for us all to be learned and recalled on this video.
I have seen so many of the same situations in my eight years of taking care of my mother and my aunt in 'nursing homes,' 'adult care facilities,' and 'convalescent centers' in Mexia, Groesbeck, Houston, and Tomball...all in Texas. Some of these places were very well-managed and the care residents received was stellar...given the circumstances.
Others, not so much. Some should have been closed.
But...when asked about how we treat and care for our elderly in this country, one resident's caregiver replied that we treat our animal friends far better than we deal with our seniors...whose only crime is that they are OLD...they managed to live a long time because of many reasons. In med school I learned that yes...there is still a mind in there no matter the appearance of the physical body. And certainly there is a quiet dignity within the remaining flesh and bone and blood that should be treated with respect and care, difficult though that may be at times.
And we must always remember and most carefully consider...should we live so long, our fate might be a similar one to be sure.

Blk04MM
03-02-2013, 08:48 AM
Best post ever on mm.net

Sometimes it's good to forget things. With his age he's probably been through hell and back and seen it all so "forgetting" was just a clearing of his bad thoughts. Music restores his love and mobility.

Blessed man

jerrym3
03-02-2013, 11:30 AM
Those times visiting my dad in the nursing home, walking by people lining up in the hallway in their wheelchairs in different stages of consciousness, the odors, and just the overall dismal surroundings convinced me that a nursing home is the very last option.

After dad went into the home and then passed on, my mom, who was wheelchair bound, lived her last five years as she wanted, at home, with 24/7 live in help that my wife and I got for her.

My wife and I did the shopping, yard work, took her to the doctor, etc, while a wonderful Polish lady cooked, cleaned, and took care of her personal hygiene.

Looking back, those last years were so much better for her living in her house than in some nursing home.

MMcactusflower
03-03-2013, 09:09 AM
I would add that a calm, rational (though hard in such times) appraisal of options for care of the elderly relatives is critically important to finding the right location that works for all concerned as best as is possible.
In these instances...no one size fits all certainly applies.

As an aside...my local methodist church choir goes to sing at our convalescent center here on a rotating schedule with the other local churches on sunday afternoons...as is done in most places I think...and it is always uplifting for us to witness the power of music, conversation, and humor.
Amazing grace indeed.

jerrym3
03-03-2013, 06:08 PM
Folks in nursing homes are old, but many still have some juice left.

I once saw an elderly lady, sitting in the hallway waiting to be pushed to dinner, grab the rear end of a male visitor that walked by.