PDA

View Full Version : Some musings about voluntarily leaving my job...

Cheeseheadbob
02-28-2013, 06:35 PM
Well, after being the VP of operations for a manufacturing company for the last 12.5 years, I decided to resign my position as of today. I jumped without a chute, but I knew I was making the correct choice. I have always prided myself on giving everything I had into the job, and to listening to subordinates, peers and superiors for ideas to make the business better. I found the passion I had, was slowly eroding. So, I gave my notice two weeks ago.

After making the decision, a huge sense of calm washed over me. I am not going to brow beat anyone about religion, but I have been doing a lot of prayer over the last couple of months, and the difference in my overall sense of well being is awesome. I highly recommend getting in touch with your Higher Power. I heard a good phrase at a meeting recently, religion is for people who are afraid of going to hell, faith is for those who have already been there...

Perhaps this may be viewed as a life lesson, but I was at peace with having no income for the foreseeable future, and I was ok with that. I have a decent amount of money saved, so I could take care of the household for awhile during the job search. Well, low and behold, the CEO of the company hands me a large legal envelope and tells me to review the contents while he heads out to lunch. Inside was a severance agreement, and a consulting contract for the next six months. I will receive 100% of my income for the first 3 months, and 50% for the remaining 3. My official title will be "Strategic Advisor". That should look pretty good on the resume! I am free to pursue another job in the meantime. Most of the consultation will be via email, so I can actually land another position and start a new career.

Who knows, if I can double dip, I may pick up another Marauder! Thanks for letting me share!:beer: (Root Beer)

CWright
02-28-2013, 06:41 PM
I wish you the best. It's amazing how He works things out.

Mebot
02-28-2013, 06:42 PM
congrats Bob. I still have a shirt for you. consider this my severance package for you. hope to see you in May for Mai Bock

Sent from my handheld Zack Morris iShoe 4S.

Joe Walsh
02-28-2013, 07:08 PM
Bob,
Maybe you can do what most of my customers do....
Retire from their government jobs at 75% salary then immediately get re-hired by the same agency at 125% of their old salary to be a private contractor consultant....Not a bad gig!

Good luck!

Job market is still plenty tight out there....:(

Bigdogjim
02-28-2013, 07:24 PM
Takes a lot of guts to do what you just did! Good luck with the job hunt. Following one's heart is always hard but, rewarding:up:

lji372
02-28-2013, 08:32 PM
:beer:
Congrats on getting rewarded by having the balls to make a difficult decision. Funny how they show you how much they appreciate what you do after you tell them to stuff it :/

Ken
02-28-2013, 08:50 PM
Congrats! Sometimes, things have a way of working themselves out! Enjoy the change.

HammerDown
02-28-2013, 09:03 PM
I wish you the best. It's amazing how He works things out.

All the best to you Bob--good luck!!!!

DOOM
02-28-2013, 09:10 PM
:congrats: Bob!

Best of luck to you my friend. :beer:

L.Mark
02-28-2013, 09:15 PM
Always follow your conscious..better to make $5 doing what you like or love than to make $500 at a job you hate or have no passion for. (If you can do that ofcourse). Good choice! Best of luck on finding something that suits you better.

CBT
03-01-2013, 04:07 AM
Hope it works out to your advantage.

Haggis
03-01-2013, 05:21 AM
Bob, you lucky FN dog. Congrats, on your future outlook.

fastblackmerc
03-01-2013, 06:43 AM
Congrats Bob!

Good Luck!

Marauderjack
03-01-2013, 07:53 AM
That's GREAT Bob!!:beer:

WINNING on several levels!!:D