PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Tech anyone

Motorhead350
03-11-2013, 08:20 AM
I have a Fender Stratocaster American made.

I had the bridge single coil pickup removed and replaced with a Seymour Duncan humbucker. Now I want to put the single coil back in because I no longer put the gain on 10 and I scored a Telecaster pickup for free to go with my chrome pickguard!

When I took the guitar apart I noticed the single coils have two wires each, the humbucker had four. When I went to put the single coil back in I simply matched the wires for where the humbucker was. The single coils black and white wires to the black and white wires that were going into the hunbucker, but now two wires that went to the humbucker when it was in use are just sitting. I soldered the black and white together and I am getting nothing. Again, the humbucker used four wires, the single coil uses two.

The other two pickups still work and yes it has a five way switch.

Anyone know how to wire this?

I would imagine something needs to be done with the two left over wires to get this to work.

Anything helps.

Thanks!

martyo
03-11-2013, 08:45 AM
Touch a 9v battery to the wires two at a time. Just be careful to watch that it does not release any magical smoke.

massacre
03-11-2013, 09:31 AM
Dom, which model SD humbucker did you install?

I have a great book on this subject but I'm at work so this is what I found real quick, let me know whether this helps or not.
http://www.guitarheads.net/tech/wiringpu/wiringpuhb.html

Also, do you have a multimeter that can read Ohms? You will need this if you want to make sure that the pickup is in-phase.

Personally I am done with single-coil pickups. I mean they have their place but are not as versatile IMHO.

Motorhead350
03-11-2013, 10:17 AM
Figured it out.

Thanks anyway guys!

After and before.

martyo
03-11-2013, 10:19 AM
Duct tape fixes everything except stupid!!!!

Motorhead350
03-11-2013, 10:24 AM
Time to go play this song!

:cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRH_70_Foow

Motorhead350
03-11-2013, 10:26 AM
Duct tape fixes everything except stupid!!!!

Duct tape is the best strap lock ever! Doesn't look the prettiest, but I used to have a TON of sticker on it as a teenager. I changed, took the stickers off, but the strap lock had to stay. ;)

Spectragod
03-11-2013, 03:48 PM
You can get duct tape in a variety of colors now days, you should spice it up a bit.

RacerX
03-11-2013, 03:54 PM
Touch a 9v battery to the wires two at a time. Just be careful to watch that it does not release any magical smoke.
:eek: OMG! Now that's funny Martin because I do believe you're serious about wanting him to do it! You forgot to tell him to hold the coil tightly though. :D

Motorhead350
03-11-2013, 04:10 PM
This is the first time I changed anything electronically for looks. If I knew it would be alright I would cut up the chrome pick guard to fit the humbucker, as it was done to the previous pick guard I would do it. The problem is too many people didn't know if it would simply cut or crack the chrome too. I actually miss the old look, but I must see how it looks on stage first. I can play with settings for the right sound. Humbucker is by far much better for Rock, but for Rock N' Roll or whatever I am doing, distortion isn't too essential.

RacerX
03-11-2013, 04:28 PM
Warmoth! Mahogany neck with Ebony fingerboard, Maple body, EMG active pickups, Schaller tuners. Carefully stained and about 20 coats of poly. ;)

Motorhead350
03-11-2013, 04:32 PM
Warmoth! Mahogany neck with Ebony fingerboard, Maple body, EMG active pickups, Schaller tuners. Carefully stained and about 20 coats of poly. ;)

EMG??? LOL. Yeah I doubt the chrome pick guard would be cut to fit without serious damage.

a_d_a_m
03-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Duct tape is the best strap lock ever! In my gigging days, I never had the best luck with duct tape. Apparently it doesn't like sweat and beer (and occasionally blood). Got so sick of duct tape one night that I ended up smashing my Agile LP3000 (basically a Korean knockoff of a Les Paul) into a thousand bits. A lesbian couple politely asked after the show if they could have my headstock (CBT, have fun with that one).

I switched to Schaller locks and haven't had a problem since.
http://www.amazon.com/Schaller-445-Security-Locks-Nickel/dp/B000960KNW

License2Bill
03-11-2013, 09:49 PM
Time to go play this song!

:cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRH_70_Foow

Fun fact: he plays a right handed guitar upside down, essential playing left handed but the strings are strung in the reverse order

massacre
03-12-2013, 07:53 AM
Fun fact: he plays a right handed guitar upside down, essential playing left handed but the strings are strung in the reverse order

Albert King used to play the same way, although later in his career he played a left-hand flying V but kept the strings upside down.

I have a mid-50s solidbody Vega that I put two mini humbuckers in (Bartolini in the neck, Gibson Firebird in the bridge), with a stereo jack so one pickup goes to one amp, one pickup to another amp. :cool:
It has prob the best tone of any guitar I have played, with the volume down low it sounds jazzy like an ES-335, but crank the volume up and it sounds like a Gibson SG.

It was the first guitar that I ever wired up in stereo.
Glad you got it fixed, Dom.:)

Motorhead350
03-12-2013, 01:50 PM
In my gigging days, I never had the best luck with duct tape. Apparently it doesn't like sweat and beer (and occasionally blood). Got so sick of duct tape one night that I ended up smashing my Agile LP3000 (basically a Korean knockoff of a Les Paul) into a thousand bits. A lesbian couple politely asked after the show if they could have my headstock (CBT, have fun with that one).

I switched to Schaller locks and haven't had a problem since.
http://www.amazon.com/Schaller-445-Security-Locks-Nickel/dp/B000960KNW

Duct tape works fine for me. I guess I don't rock as hard as you. :)

A solution I came up with was using washers for car fenders. I got a set of four for 50 cents. I would put the strap against the body, put the washer on and factory screw with the original holder. Yes it's like bolting the strap on and it never comes off unless you unscrew it, but I don't care. My case still closes so it's fine and it was cheap for us musicians who live off of corn and potato's.

Yes I noticed. ;)

a_d_a_m
03-13-2013, 09:47 AM
A solution I came up with was using washers for car fenders. Yeah, I've done that before too and it works great! Unfortunately, I only have one guitar strap that I like, so switching guitars during a set (like when I break strings) became a pain in the azz. That's the only reason I use Schallers and not washers.