PDA

View Full Version : Lucky the wind was blowing the right way

rayjay
03-17-2013, 05:57 AM
Check this out:

http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/21660786/breaking-news-fire-at-carolina-forest

We would have been evacuated if we were down there. 108 condos destroyed. Thannk God no one was killed. A neighborhood wiped out in 2 hours. I'm pretty amazed this has not made the national news. We could have watched it from our front yard. So much for being told those fires don't happen in this area when I asked the realtor. :rolleyes: Prayers for my neighbors that lost everything in that inferno.

HammerDown
03-17-2013, 06:19 AM
Wow, horrible

Just having visited you, is that the next group of home east of yours?

Prayers to all that lost their homes.......

rayjay
03-17-2013, 06:57 AM
Wow, horrible

Just having visited you, is that the next group of home east of yours?

Prayers to all that lost their homes.......

HammerDown, I didn't even know they were there. They would be to the southwest of my neighborhood, behind the ones across from the entrance to our subdivision. Scary stuff.

SC Cheesehead
03-17-2013, 07:51 AM
Dang, Ray!

Sad news for the folks affected, but glad you're okay.

fastblackmerc
03-17-2013, 07:52 AM
I saw it on Good Morning America.

Glad you were safe.

Blk Mamba
03-17-2013, 02:04 PM
64 fires reported in the previous 24 hrs, as of midnight last night, most in that area but there is a state wide no-burn ban issued till the next rainfall, for the entire state. Glad you and yours are safe, and you have no loss, sorry for your neighbors.

rayjay
03-17-2013, 02:18 PM
Thanks all. Something else to consider along with hurricanes. Sure we have grass fires in upstate NY, but they don't burn down an entire neighborhood. :eek: I finally got through to my immediate neighbors and they are ok, thank God. Thats the end of me using pine needles as mulch.

Blk Mamba, yea I noticed even when it rains, it seems to dry out pretty quick there.

fastblackmerc
03-17-2013, 02:25 PM
Thanks all. Something else to consider along with hurricanes. Sure we have grass fires in upstate NY, but they don't burn down an entire neighborhood. :eek: I finally got through to my immediate neighbors and they are ok, thank God. Thats the end of me using pine needles as mulch.

Blk Mamba, yea I noticed even when it rains, it seems to dry out pretty quick there.

Pine needle mulch is banned in Wake County, N.C. around any commercial bldgs. for that reason.

rayjay
03-17-2013, 02:33 PM
Pine needle mulch is banned in Wake County, N.C. around any commercial bldgs. for that reason.

I can see why. I'll be cleaning it out next month.

MyBlackBeasts
03-17-2013, 05:48 PM

You're kidding... some company is actually making mulch from pine needles!?!?!?! :eek:

That's just plain stupid! Pine sap is as flamable as gasoline!!!

If any of you reading this, uses this product, get it off your property ASAP. That's one tossed cigarette or random spark, from a personal disaster.

Wow, can't believe it. :shake:

1Marauder
03-17-2013, 08:59 PM
We have to clear 75 to 100 feet around each unit, of all dry grass,pine needles, small trees (clear cut allbranches up to 15 feet) etc around EACH unit at our cabin. To hear someone muscles pine needles... Wow... Our most sincere and heartfelt sympathies to those who lost everything...l and a wake up to all others... Do the chores early and often--fire prevention only pays off during tradgedy.

PS our cabin burned to the ground 22 years ago... I can honestly say, until. Then we were not believers in fire prevention.

That said... It is ONLY March... Not September... This is unbelievable!!!!!

rayjay
03-18-2013, 08:25 AM
I have someone cleaning my yard as I write this.

fastblackmerc
03-18-2013, 08:53 AM
You're kidding... some company is actually making mulch from pine needles!?!?!?! :eek:

That's just plain stupid! Pine sap is as flamable as gasoline!!!

If any of you reading this, uses this product, get it off your property ASAP. That's one tossed cigarette or random spark, from a personal disaster.

Wow, can't believe it. :shake:

They don't much the pine needles they collect it, bundle it and sell it to use as mulch.

There are an abundance of long leaf pines here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinus_palustris

This is why it's used....

"So for those who hold up their healthy, vibrant and extensive flower and vegetable producing acid-loving plants as an example of the merits of the acidity of pine straw, I wholeheartedly agree. But for those worried about using it on their not so acid-loving plants, consider these properties that allow it to outperform other mulches and allow your plants to grow and thrive equally as well as their acid loving brethren:

it provides the perfect level of acidity for your plants to absorb maximum soil nutrients
it doesn't float and wash away and breaks down more slowly, so it doesn't need to be reapplied as frequently as other mulches
it is easier to handle and lighter per cubic foot than other mulches: one large bale can cover as much area as 30 cubic feet of most mulches
the cost per square foot is competitive with other mulches
it breathes better, doesn't compact, and allows for better water infiltration
it is easy to apply: just unroll the bales and scatter by hand
it doesn't attract termites
it adds organic material and nutrients to soil and reduces weeds
the uniform color and fine texture of pine straw brings out the color, contrast, and texture of your landscape
you can use it for erosion control where grass won't grow to hold soil, even on hillsides and paths"

rayjay
03-18-2013, 09:21 AM
I have an abundance for free on my property. In light of saturday's catastrophe it seems prudent to get rid of it for now.