PDA

View Full Version : Octane Buster help needed!!!

woaface
03-10-2004, 12:22 PM
I put 87 octane in the car on and it's detonating a lot. I'll get octane booster tonight but what's a good kind? Or is this a waste of a valiant effort...?

TripleTransAm
03-10-2004, 12:45 PM
Can't you just drive gently for a half-tankful or so, and dilute it with 94 octane?

Mikeenh
03-10-2004, 12:47 PM
Can't you just drive gently for a half-tankful or so, and dilute it with 94 octane?

Steve,
Are you NUTS???? He's 16.....need I say more

Smokie
03-10-2004, 12:50 PM
James, can you use your tuner to load original program and when u are done with the 87 fuel, reload the performance program ? Javier.

CRUZTAKER
03-10-2004, 02:09 PM
....exactly

Don't waste your money on Octane boosters. Just take a road trip and burn some out, and top off with 94.

Funny though, that's all I ever put in my '98 marquis LS and it loved it from day one.

TripleTransAm
03-10-2004, 02:11 PM
You're on the money with the long trip... the engine sees very little load at steady cruising speeds (within reason) and should not ping at all. By "reason" I mean <65 mph, considering the aerodynamics of our vehicles...

woaface
03-10-2004, 03:06 PM
:shake: Yes, I can be resposible (because I'm sixteen and it's something I have to practice all the time) for a good while and wait till the gas gauge goes down.

My mom put something in it from the gas station without telling me (an octane booster) Didn't help a bit.

I'll get a friend to accompany me down the interstate for a while and I'll set the cruise on 70 (I'll end up on a 70mph stretch) and I'll wait till it goes down to half to a quarter of a tank.

jgc61sr2002
03-10-2004, 05:20 PM

What Steve said.^^^^^^^^^

RF Overlord
03-10-2004, 05:44 PM
My mom put something in it from the gas station without telling me (an octane booster) Didn't help a bit.

I'll bet it didn't...octane boosters are a complete waste of money...when they say something like "raises octane by 4-7 points", what they actually mean is that is increases the octane by 4-7 TENTHS of a point...so that can she put in raised the octane in your tank from 87 to 87.7 (being generous)... :rolleyes: :shake:

ANY detonation is bad for a motor...just to be safe, use your tuner to restore the stock programming until you've used most of your tank, then refill with 92 octane and restore your performance programming...