PDA

View Full Version : Hankook tires?

CRUZTAKER
03-10-2004, 06:16 PM
Anyone familiar with this manufacturer? My father is probably rolling in his grave...especially if these are foriegn made.

I saw an ad for this company in a magazine. They show a particular tire that is very similar to the Nitto 555R tread. Upon researching this tire, I found that it is very new, and still in the works....well duh, why advertise it?

Anyway, I called their offices tonite, they were technically closed, but a very asian guy took my call and refered me to some very american engineers to call tomorrow.

The tire appears awesome, it's the VENTUS Z212.

Smokie
03-10-2004, 06:23 PM
It's a great looking drag radial, is it available for 18" rims ?

Petrograde
03-10-2004, 06:41 PM
I believe they are Korean. A freind of mine had them on his Mustang. There were crap!!!

be careful...

Tom

RCSignals
03-10-2004, 08:04 PM
They are Korean. New over here but apparently around a long time over there.
Supposedly the performance tires are good. Don't really know.
Ford uses them as the base tire on the cheapest F150 now.

bigslim
03-10-2004, 09:58 PM
I just put them on my PT Cruiser. I really can't say what they are like yet. They are only two days old.

RCSignals
03-10-2004, 10:19 PM
the biggest problem with the tires I suspect, is the name

Patrick
03-11-2004, 12:57 AM
My old 1SGT at the armory had a set put on his 95 Mark VIII and he liked them. The 16inch tires. But didnt like them so much when it rained!!

I am debating about the tires on mine! They grip good but raining days drive me a bit uneasy. I had duel channel Goodyear Aqua treads on my mark VIII and I could drive thru a river and not get side ways!!! But the last time a checked not available for 18'S. Anyone recomend any other brand thats good for rain?????????/

Hack Goby
03-11-2004, 02:11 PM
Darryl,were did you go and does your salesman looking for another sale(If I still can get autorama price)What was your "out the door price"

CRUZTAKER
03-11-2004, 02:43 PM
Hey thanks guys...you are all correct.

Should have known...having lived in Korea for nearly two years I should have made the name connection.

Hankook....Hanguk...Hanguk being the native speak for "Korea".

First off, let clarify...I AM ONLY SEEKING BEEFY REAR DRAG RADIALS to be mounted on 9.5 inch (wide) marauder OEM wheels, not daily driver 4-corner tires for 8" (wide) stock oem wheels.

I spoke with an engineer there today, and he had little to offer. As far as the tire I speak of, the only way any of you have seen it, is in an ad in a car magazine THIS month. As of yesterday, it was not shown on their website, and thier dealers have no idea what a VENTA Z212 is. It is ultra performance, and "available this summer in 12 sizes". Ultimately in 25 sizes. The current engineering run will only go up to 295-45.

I don't have time to wait this long. Therefore I will pick up a set of Nitto 305/45's and pay the price. Next season I'll look into the rice shoes. I'm just gonna tear them up anyway!

darebren
03-11-2004, 02:45 PM
for others though, the 255/45 fronts and 255/55 rears would make a cheap alternative to the Pirelli's... for those who just want to go fatter with the oem rims..

see ya Saturday at the meet!

bigslim
03-11-2004, 10:39 PM
Paul, the discount was for two weeks. The tires were $55.00 apeice. They are 215/45-17 inch.

junehhan
03-11-2004, 10:55 PM
Barry, you lived in Korea for 2 years? Yeah Hankook is native for Korea.

My grandmother lives near Seoul, and my mother lived in Inchon for most of her life. My father grew up during his early years in Pyoung Yang which is in the North where his family fled before the war.

Patrick
03-12-2004, 12:10 AM
Hey Barry when were you thier and where???

I was at Cp Casey, 85 -86, 91 - 92, and Yongsan in 88-89.

Patrick

CRUZTAKER
03-12-2004, 03:54 AM
I was in Dongducheon-si for the better part of my tour. Not much happening there back in '85. No paved roads around town, but alot of crazy nite clubs.

Played in Seoul on the weekends when I could get away, great night life down there.

Patrick
03-12-2004, 11:52 AM
Seoul was a GREAT place to party!!!!!!!!!

teamrope
03-12-2004, 01:52 PM
I was at Camp Howze Dec 83-Dec 84

Petrograde
03-12-2004, 04:47 PM
Seoul was a GREAT place to party!!!!!!!!!

wow,.. ya know I have almost no recollection of the year I spent there! :D But, I've seen many pictures and some video of that year,.. It looks like I had a good time! :lol:

I was station at Camp Stanley (94-95)in Uijongbu. I went Seoul a few times. I DO NOT miss Soju! :puke:

anyway,.. back to the thread.... ;)

Tom

pacammer
03-12-2004, 05:28 PM
I did what I will call the Soju tour in Korea. The US MP SasangYung (Mitsubishi) SUV's had these tires. They wore out like pencil erasers. I would not recommend the tires, I do recommend the country.

Patrick
03-13-2004, 03:36 AM
Hey Teamrope never stopped at Cp Howze, but heard thier where good places to party!!

The 3 years I spent thier (With the help of SoJou) (Southern White Lighting) Things remain blurry!!!!!!1 I still have a COMBAT BOTTLE unopened!!!!!!

Sorry should go back to the thread, Tires I think!

Who wants to a thread for those who have served in "Land of the Morning Calm"??????

teamrope
03-13-2004, 08:52 PM
Hey Teamrope never stopped at Cp Howze, but heard thier where good places to party!!

They're are a couple...It's ben long enough that I can't remember the names

The 3 years I spent thier (With the help of SoJou) (Southern White Lighting) Things remain blurry!!!!!!1 I still have a COMBAT BOTTLE unopened!!!!!!

You're bringing it to Indy, right? I havn't even seen any in...OMG! it's been almost 20 years! Bring on the Jinro Toad. :D

Sorry should go back to the thread, Tires I think!
You're right. I've never ran tires from Hankook, so I couldn't say anything good or bad about them.

CRUZTAKER
03-14-2004, 09:23 AM
Screw the tires, let's talk about soju!!!

Bring it to Indy, and we'll let a newbie take the first swig...but don't shake it or pour it off first.:D

The writhing will bring back old memories!!

junehhan
03-14-2004, 08:21 PM
Screw the tires, let's talk about soju!!!

Bring it to Indy, and we'll let a newbie take the first swig...but don't shake it or pour it off first.:D

The writhing will bring back old memories!!

LOL, that's a bit mean to do to the newbies...........

I can't believe you guys actually like that stuff.

teamrope
03-14-2004, 08:28 PM
LOL, that's a bit mean to do to the newbies...........

I can't believe you guys actually like that stuff.

What do you mean...I had my best hallucinations from that stuff! :lol:

junehhan
03-14-2004, 08:30 PM
What do you mean...I had my best hallucinations from that stuff! :lol:

It's a bit wierd, because i'm a die hard Korean, and I can't even drink that stuff. I have no problem drinking 151, or 190 proof everclear straight though..........

teamrope
03-14-2004, 08:36 PM
It's a bit wierd, because i'm a die hard Korean, and I can't even drink that stuff. I have no problem drinking 151, or 190 proof everclear straight though..........
What town are you from. (Please don't say Seoul..)

CRUZTAKER
03-14-2004, 08:41 PM
Mak-ali (sp.) was my over all favorite. Particularly home made at one of the road side sit downs. The only fall back was the possibility of coming up hot on a pee test.

I was in country a year before someone told me how they made that stuff!!!:censor:

junehhan
03-14-2004, 08:42 PM
I was actually born here in Cincinnati OH, but I did spend a few years in Inchon and Seoul. I'm sorry, but I don't like Seoul one bit as it's like trying to navigate through a zoo. Some of my friends think i've become too westernized unfortunately................

While I am American, I still have to have my Kimchi and my chopsticks wherever I go..........

teamrope
03-14-2004, 08:47 PM
While I am American, I still have to have my Kimchi and my chopsticks wherever I go..........

Me too! We have a little place right outside Ft. Lewis that makes the BEST Bulgogi. (Don't mind the spelling, I have a hard enough time with English!)

junehhan
03-14-2004, 09:01 PM
The secret to great tasting Korean barbecue beef(bul-go-gi) is in the sauce, and the flame. To get it to taste it's best, it has to be marinated overnight in the right sauce, and it has to be cooked over an open flame using charcoal which tastes the best, or other fuel if charcoal isn't available. Of course, you also have to select the right kind of meat as well........

Some of my other favorites, are Bi-bim-bap(rice bowl), Gal-bi(Korean style ribs which are my all time favorite), Yang(beef tripe dipped in a special hot sauce), Sam-chu-sam(lettuce wrap with pork), Tang-su(like sweet and sour, but even better), Yuk-eh-jang(very spicy beef broth soup), and others...........

I actually wish there was a decent Korean restaurant here in Cincinnati. Unfortunately, I guess we just don't have the korean population like you guys do in Washington, and while we have 2, they are really not that good, nor are they very traditional. I have gone as far as to Columbus for a day, just to get some traditional Korean cooking from a traditional Korean restaurant.

CRUZTAKER
03-14-2004, 09:17 PM
OK, I'm losing my mind here....and getting damn hungry.

Since we can't get a good marauder meet together here in the buckeye, how about an asian cookout!:rock:

I'll bring the OB. :beer:

junehhan
03-14-2004, 09:22 PM
OK, I'm losing my mind here....and getting damn hungry.

Since we can't get a good marauder meet together here in the buckeye, how about an asian cookout!:rock:

I'll bring the OB. :beer:

An asian cook-out sounds good, but I have to warn you guys that my cooking skills are very suspect at best. I'm not very handy with a wrench, or with a cooking apron on.

teamrope
03-14-2004, 09:34 PM
Dang, Y'all got me salavatin in a tire thread!

Patrick
03-14-2004, 09:44 PM
I will bring the bottle to MM II!!!!!!!!!! Newbies will never forget us!!!!!! Never ever "mak-ali"!!!!!! Yuck!!!! Podo ju- is cool!!!!!!!! Give me "Yakamando or nothing elsE!!!!!!!!!!!

junehhan
03-14-2004, 09:47 PM
I actually like enjoying a nice glass of podo-ju the most, out of all the alcoholic drinks out there. That other hardcore stuff is just not for newbies, and you really have to really like getting slammed to enjoy it.

Petrograde
03-15-2004, 03:53 AM
Y'all are bringin' back some memories! LOL

No one mentioned Yaki-man-du? yummmm.... especially good after 13 OB's and a half a bottle of Green Soju!

Hey junehhan, if ya don't mind traveling to Ft. Campbell, KY there are several Korean grocery stores that pretty much have everything I saw in Uijongbu.

Funny thing about being stationed in Korea. While I was there I had my 'countdown' calender' I could tell you on any given day how many days I had left before goin' back the to 'world' :lol:

I hadn't been back 2 weeks when I called Dept. of the Army asking if I could go back!

Like the old song says: Don't know what ya got, til its gone!

Tom

edit: just saw your post Patrick. man that is some goood stuff!

Patrick
03-16-2004, 02:48 AM
This all good stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After all this this stuff about where we have been in Korea and the drinks and food and that stuff I pulled out some old photos. Alot of memories, good and bad!!

Their was alot people and sum of the stuff we used to get into. We wont go thier!!! I will leave at this and this was our motto. We work hard and we play hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

junehhan
03-16-2004, 10:22 PM
Petro, while we arn't fotunate enough to have a great traditional Korean restaurant, at least we do have a great Korean supermarket where you can find just about everything at. In fact, i'm munching on a genuine Asian Pear(none of that fake stuff you see at American groceries) right now that I bought a box of last weekend!