PDA

View Full Version : Wiper scar on windshield

DEFYANT
03-28-2013, 10:15 AM
Anyone know how to buff that out? I have a vehicle here where the wiper was worn down to the metal and scarred up the windshield. I just can see replacing the thing! I thought I read on line somewhere that this can be sanded and buffed? True or false? Other suggestions?

fastblackmerc
03-28-2013, 10:42 AM
Anyone know how to buff that out? I have a vehicle here where the wiper was worn down to the metal and scarred up the windshield. I just can see replacing the thing! I thought I read on line somewhere that this can be sanded and buffed? True or false? Other suggestions?

There are kits available that claim to buff out scratches. Depends on how deep the scratch is. You will have to polish the entire windshield. If you get the windshield too hot you may break it.

http://www.eastwood.com/autobody/plastic-glass-repair.html?srccode=ga030170&gclid=COWF_5L6n7YCFUhV4AodNUkA nw

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1858433

There is a ton of info via google.

DEFYANT
03-28-2013, 11:17 AM
Thanks, I did the Google thing. Reliable feedback from a group I know is what I am after. I really dont trust the "reviews" on the product sites. Many seem like snake oil, like "Slick 50" is to oil.....

Shaijack
03-29-2013, 09:05 AM
I know how you feel. Bought a DTR out of AZ. Light mist of rain, turned on wipers. There was a small rock under the wiper. One long scratch on pass side of windshield.
I think a windshild place can buff them out.

J-MAN
03-29-2013, 06:42 PM
My Mother-In-Law put some severe scratches in her windshield before she mentioned that the windshield washer didn't work. I got the polish and pads from Autogeek and used a rotary polisher on low speed. Can't remember what brand the polish was but it was specific for glass as were the pads. Took a while on low speed keeping the polish wet with the occasional spritz of water and checking for too much heat but got all the marks out. I would imagine that scratches in glass are like those in paint, that there is a limit as to what can be safely removed. I'd bet that they have a tutorial on this.

mustang50lx
03-29-2013, 06:50 PM
I has a scratch in my Fox's windshield and our glass guy at work said the glass would look funny when you looked through it in the sun if it was buffed out. He also said it takes forever to do and is not worth it.

tbone
03-30-2013, 10:53 AM
Your insurance company may replace it if you have the optional coverage. Safety issue.

guspech750
03-30-2013, 11:21 AM
Throw a rock at the windshield and file a claim.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

Mr. Man
03-30-2013, 11:30 AM

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Was thinking the same thing.:eek: :lol:

lji372
03-31-2013, 01:17 AM

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Great idea!!!!!!

Hey don't you need a new color hmmm.......ill hook you up in louisville:lol:

MOTOWN
03-31-2013, 05:31 AM

Sent from my iPhone 4S

And watch your monthly premium go up!:mad2: the ins company is about making coin, not loosing it!

tbone
03-31-2013, 08:55 PM
It doesn't go up for a windshield claim.

The biggest worry insurance companies have is liability. That's why that is the highest portion of the premium.