PDA

View Full Version : Totaled my ride DD

License2Bill
04-01-2013, 05:43 PM
As some of you are aware, I totaled my 2002 CVPI Friday night. I swerved to avoid a deer and the tires were super bald (had an appointment for Saturday to get new ones installed also), lost traction and managed to jump the car off an embankment and into the woods where it eventually came to rest on a stone wall/tree. I was in the air for so long that I had time to think oh crap, this is going to suck. I removed my hands from the steering wheel and put my head against the head rest. Both airbags deployed, but I was not hit by mine. I was the only person in the car.

As is common with severe front end impacts in this platform, the front door wouldn't open. I undid my seat belt, climbed into the back seat and got out and walked the 30 feet to the side of the road. I called the non emergency dispatch since I was the only one involved. I was uninjured although shaken up quite a bit. My friends who were in a vehicle a ways behind me watched the whole thing unfold. They couldn't believe I just got out and walked away like nothing happened. I even took a bow and said exit stage left.

Now for some pictures. The first and last pictures were taken from approximately the same place. You can see how far back in there I was. From the embankment to the landing/final resting place, I traveled over 3 car lengths in the air. Possibly broke Evel Knievel's jump record.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

whitey
04-01-2013, 06:03 PM
I already started this aprils fools joke

WhatsUpDOHC
04-01-2013, 06:07 PM
S's some of you are aware, I totaled my 2002 CVPI Friday night. I swerved to avoid a deer and the tires were super bald (had an appointment for Saturday to get new ones installed also), lost traction and managed to jump the car off an embankment and info the woods where it eventually came to rest on a stone wall/tree. I was in the air for so long that I had time to think oh crap, this is going to suck. I removed my hands from the steering wheel and put my head against the head rest. Both airbags deployed, but I was not hit by mine. I was the only person in the car.

As is common with severe front end impacts in this platform, the front door wouldn't open. I undid my seat belt, climbed into the back seat and got out and walked the 30 feet to the side of the road. I called the non emergency dispatch since I was the only one involved. I was uninjured although shaken up quite a bit. My friends who were in a vehicle a ways behind me watched the whole thing unfold. They couldn't believe I just got out and walked away like nothing happened. I even took a bow and said exit stage left.

Now for some pictures. The first and last pictures were taken from approximately the same place. You can see how far back in there I was. From the embankment to the landing/final resting place, I traveled over 3 car lengths in the air. Possibly broke Evel Knievel's jump record.

Damn.

She saved your life.

My daughter (13 y/o) thinks I'm kidding when I tell her that she's getting a (free) GM or CV when she starts to drive.

License2Bill
04-01-2013, 06:09 PM
If I was in any other vehicle other than a Panther, I'm not sure I'd be here right now.

whitey
04-01-2013, 06:17 PM
Sorry to hear this if its the truth, good thing youre in one piece.

Mebot
04-01-2013, 06:20 PM
If I was in any other vehicle other than a Panther, I'm not sure I'd be here right now.

thats very true. wow thanks for sharing & having somewhat of a sense of humor ("exit stage left", lol) but still glad you are ok & sorry to hear this. you will get a new, one don't worry

sent from space

License2Bill
04-01-2013, 06:21 PM
Sorry to hear this if its the truth, good thing youre in one piece.

Thanks. It is the truth. I have video of the wrecker yanking the thing out of the woods. The scrap yard is giving me a whopping $250 for it

License2Bill
04-01-2013, 06:25 PM
I'm just happy it wasn't my 300A. CVPIs are practically a dime a dozen. I was going to put it up for sale the next day too. So it's a bummer in that aspect. I may get another one eventually, but for the time being, I'm gonna be riding my bike different places to start getting into shape for the triathlons I have signed up for this summer

Mebot
04-01-2013, 06:32 PM
I'm just happy it wasn't my 300A.

I think we all are ;)

glad you can find a silver lining thru this too. good luck in your triathlon

sent from space

Guittard22
04-01-2013, 07:05 PM
As some of you are aware, I totaled my 2002 CVPI Friday night. I swerved to avoid a deer and the tires were super bald (had an appointment for Saturday to get new ones installed also), lost traction and managed to jump the car off an embankment and into the woods where it eventually came to rest on a stone wall/tree. I was in the air for so long that I had time to think oh crap, this is going to suck. I removed my hands from the steering wheel and put my head against the head rest. Both airbags deployed, but I was not hit by mine. I was the only person in the car.

I had somthing happen to me in RI about 5 years ago now :mad: I was driving home from a late night catering event and was the only car on 195 in RI when out of no where a car zipped by me lost control and bumped me in the front and I lost control at 60 mph . The cop told me If I was in any other car I would have not walked away. I hit the the center highway guardrail at around 55mph.

Happy you walked away and sorry your car is gone . but life is to dam short to die at a young age.

will you be getting another CV? I will never let any of my kids somday drive a little plastic POS car lol

here is a few pic's of mine

hope to see you saturday if you can swing it.

License2Bill
04-02-2013, 06:42 AM
Wow. Looks like yours was equally as bad. I'm dropping the trans pan today to replace the solenoid and possibly j-mod if its healthy enough

Bigdogjim
04-02-2013, 07:30 AM
I went airborn in a '70 mercury montery in 1970 I can tell ya it was no fun! No airbags back then but I did have a seat beat on:) Was more worried about my Dad reaction than anything at the time.

I am glad you were not hurt(as far aw you can tell) I would still make a trip to the Doctors and get check out.

As for the junkyard giving you $250. for the car I think it worth more than that?

Crown vic's are going up a little in value as time goes forward.

License2Bill
04-02-2013, 08:10 AM
I want to get another Vic before too long, since I really don't want to daily the Marauder.
This one was a real piece of junk beater. The only decent thing it had going for it was the noise the exhaust, really the lack thereof, made. Rear cat delete and no mufflers or h pipe. The exhaust ended at the cat pipe flange. Many people said it sounded like a truck and some even came up to me and asked if I put a 5.4 in it. I hit the tree so hard that it pushed the bumper and radiator back into the engine. It's completely useless as an automobile. The whole underside is destroyed from bouncing off of boulders. The MMX drive shaft is dinged up and probably bent, the transmission is shot. Pretty much the only useful things on it are the seats, the glass, possibly the rear doors, rear quarters and trunk lid.

I'll probably go to the doctor's to be on the safe side later today.