PDA

View Full Version : I need feedback, opinions on NAPA autoparts

whd507
04-02-2013, 11:56 AM
I am pursuing a NAPA store ownership package, and am currently still finding investors to help get off the ground.(about 1/2 there) I have been a customer of NAPA before, but there are no stores really close to here that I can see on a daily basis, what are your experiences with them? good/bad, what would you want to see in stock etc. I have been running an autozone in the market for the past 7 years, and I know the pitfalls there, and Oreillys is strong here, but people complain about them quite a bit, and their customer service locally sucks. Our customer service was good, we just didn't have any parts in stock. I hope to have the same good customer experience, but with a fully stocked store. I would have a lot more in stock than the typical rural NAPA, due to being in a suburb, and would more closely resemble a bigger in town location, yet hope to have a lot of rural merchandise on hand due to being in an ag county.

Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

Dean

wannaMM
04-02-2013, 12:05 PM
lOVE MY "LOCAL' NAPA --- If they don't have it, they "Pull" from the warehouse and have it next day,without fail...they also offer "trick" parts that solve some "old age" problems on older cars. Example: 10tooth drive on starter where a 9 tooth will not engage all the time due to worn ringgear...beat the hell outa r/r tranny & flexplate..

guspech750
04-02-2013, 12:47 PM
I've noticed my Napa's prices are usually higher. That's about it for me.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

RacerX
04-02-2013, 12:53 PM
I've always felt NAPA was a little step above the other parts stores. I was stockroom manager of a local napa when I was about 19. They were always willing to go the extra mile for customers.

Curless
04-02-2013, 12:56 PM
I own and operate an auto repair facility here in Grand Rapids...I call NAPA first every time. NAPA has a huge range of parts and is usually very well priced in comparison to the others in our area. That being said, I DO NOT instal garbage parts on any of my cars, I choose to have quality parts all of the time and if that means I pay more I don't mind.

loud2004marquis
04-02-2013, 01:20 PM
Just did the rear brakes on the F150 and the manager at OReillys gave me the wrong hardware kit for the emergency brakes. Went to two different oreillys and called an AutoZone and advanced auto, nobody had the kit instock except the last place I tried, my local Napa. They are my new parts place.

RacerX
04-02-2013, 01:21 PM
Oh, btw, when hiring delivery drivers, go with the older guys with good driving records. It'll keep your fleet healthy and insurance lower. ;) Not too mention, the younger ones (yes, I was young at the time, but, well disciplined) were picking out the wrong damn parts half the time, would come back (after pissing off the customers) and toss them in the wrong places on the shelves. :mad2:

MOTOWN
04-02-2013, 01:24 PM
Napa is a cut above the rest! im sure like most franchises they have specific requirements on location, volume of traffic in the targeted area, projected income, store outlook etc, im looking into opening a Gas station and those are just some of things that must be addressed.

Good luck

Vortech347
04-02-2013, 01:38 PM
I usually go to NAPA for brake part stuff and serp/blower belts. The gold line is great stuff.

Davesvt2000
04-02-2013, 02:29 PM
I've recently become a NAPA convert, after needing a 24v bulb for my loader during a snowstorm, and they had one in stock, and said they could get just about any 24v bulbs.

When I asked why, they said they do a lot of business with the local DPWs, and all your equipment today, CAT, JCB, etc, are 24v.

I've also noticed their oil change specials match most of the other guys, and they have Mobil 1 on sale more often than the competition.

blackhueys
04-02-2013, 03:19 PM
I dont go anywhere but napa anymore! the other stores stuff is junk and unless I have an import car which I dont they dont stock much if anything I need. Napa has a great user friendly website that I like as I can find what I need check stock and get the part numbers I need for the counter persons when I get there makes it so much quicker for me. another plus I like is that they are the only ones that give me a discount for being military not much but it helps. I have told them they are the only place I shop at anymore so that might help me some as well. They have at least here where I am from actually people who know how to help you find what you need with great knowledge of autos as well. I have a old army k5 blazer and they dont mind a bit when I ask for off the wall stuff for it thats not normally listed unlike the other FLAPS around me who just seem like they want me to go away and treat me like an idiot. Napa is the way to go! Heck they even know that a marauder is not a crown vic or GM and they love it when I bring mine over we talk about it and what I did to her and they are cool with it (well the one burn out I did kinda pissed the manager off but hes cool with me now lol)

sailsmen
04-02-2013, 03:36 PM
NAPA equal good.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9370 using Tapatalk

whd507
04-02-2013, 03:45 PM
Thanks! Where I grew up NAPA was more expensive, but I noticed when I moved here to oreilly's hometown, that parts here were a lot more expensive than I was used to in CA. Autozone just raised their prices to match when they came to town, The result is that it seems that typical NAPA prices that I see online are the same or lower than oreillys or autozone. I have run the autozone here for seven years, and I know the market and customers really well, I think it will do well. NAPA requires about a million in in-stock inventory here, which is about three times what autozone has on-hand. plus a million times deeper parts availability overall, and better quality parts. I'm betting the farm on this one, so I appreciate the input.

JBFTech
04-02-2013, 04:53 PM
In my neck of the woods, AutoZone needs to be renamed to AccessoryZone, all they stock are accessories and import parts. Advance (which used to be store of choice) seems like it has become the place to go only if you drive a Chevy or an import. Oreilly's is actually pretty decent, but my preference here lately has been Napa. Partly because that is who we get all of our aftermarket parts from at work, and they always have what I need or get it the next day. Advance Auto has a warehouse here in town, but it seems that Napa still has more than they do. The best part, is that I can walk into Napa and see parts, filters, fluids, tools, and workers who look like they know their chit. NOT ONE single neon light kit, big chrome wing, stick on hood scoop, altezza tail light, or body kit for a Honda civic anywhere in sight!

RF Overlord
04-02-2013, 05:02 PM
I don't go to NAPA anymore. They never have "Type R" or "DUB Edition" badges in stock when I need them...

cat in the hat
04-02-2013, 06:10 PM
The ones around me seem to do mostly business-to-business trade.

whd507
04-02-2013, 06:50 PM
Commercial is their stock in trade, but some will have good DIY abilities as well. I intend to do well in both. I was tired of autozone's lack of parts and yes the bling isle was my biggest pain in the butt. My napa will not have the "Bling isle" (high theft isle)

cat in the hat
04-02-2013, 07:33 PM
Commercial is their stock in trade, but some will have good DIY abilities as well. I intend to do well in both. I was tired of autozone's lack of parts and yes the bling isle was my biggest pain in the butt. My napa will not have the "Bling isle" (high theft isle)

Yes, make it two aisles, good idea - one aisle just for the Buick Port Holes, and a separate aisle for all other bling. Keep it from getting too crowded around the Port Holes.

whd507
07-02-2013, 09:50 PM
meeting with the folks at NAPA in a week, secured the building and financing. scared and excited... hopefully the actual numbers will all work out, and this will be a go.

Black Dynamite
07-02-2013, 09:57 PM
meeting with the folks at NAPA in a week, secured the building and financing. scared and excited... hopefully the actual numbers will all work out, and this will be a go.

Congrats! :banana2:

L.Mark
07-03-2013, 01:17 AM
I like NAPA better than the infamous AZ and Advance...

Marauderjack
07-03-2013, 02:18 AM
I agree with what most have said but be warned that NAPA has a tough time around here where price seems to be king!!:shake:

Like someone else said their business base is to repair shops!! :beer:

GOOD LUCK!!

Ms. Denmark
07-03-2013, 02:41 AM
Best of luck! Sounds like you know the business and that you'll be very sucessful! Please keep us posted...

boatmangc
07-03-2013, 03:17 AM
Best of luck to you,
I am a fan of NAPA, I use Advanced for WW fluid. I buy real, quality parts from NAPA.

NAPA may have a little higher pricing than the discounted auto part stores but their own lines of parts are overall better quality and in general the staff are more knowledgeable.

RoyLPita
07-03-2013, 04:49 AM
I wish you the best. I used Napa for a Dorman 4.6 intake manifold and 2000 Sebring Convertible lower control arms. I also have Ceramix pads on my MM, but those were secondhand.

Ozark Marauder
07-03-2013, 08:09 AM
Where you going to be, Nixa? Springfield?

OZ

cat in the hat
07-03-2013, 08:19 PM
Good luck !

rauder775
07-04-2013, 12:54 PM
Pleased with NAPA overall. Key to me is counter people that actually know cars. Infuriates me to have to explain basic parts....leaves no confidence.

Hire well. And good luck with the franchise.

Jeffonebuck
07-04-2013, 01:36 PM
Pleased with NAPA overall. Key to me is counter people that actually know cars. Infuriates me to have to explain basic parts....leaves no confidence.

Hire well. And good luck with the franchise.

Keep someone in charge of taking calls, not the guy in the process of working with a customer ! That happens all the time at the Zones

71cyclone
07-04-2013, 09:10 PM
I've always felt NAPA was a little step above the other parts stores. I was stockroom manager of a local napa when I was about 19. They were always willing to go the extra mile for customers.

In Charles county maryland , Many of the Tire and Mech. shops prefer NAPA parts over advance and auto zone deliverys because of a Zero come back rate on parts . There is nothing wrong with :beer:a guarante, but if you have to do the job twice ,you and the customer are Ticked off.// NAPA-= No problems .

BLACKMARAUDER04
07-05-2013, 12:39 PM
I used NAPA Rotors on all 4 wheels. Good product. I have had zero
vibrations from the brakes since.

fastblackmerc
07-05-2013, 01:01 PM
When I want the correct parts that will fit properly and last I go to NAPA.

When I want junk that is cheap and doesn't last I go to all the other parts stores......

BTW.... I worked as a counterman / driver at the NAPA store in Clifton, N.J. in the late 70's.