PDA

View Full Version : What SB 281 Means to You (MD Gun Owners)

ctrlraven
04-09-2013, 05:46 AM
Here is a dumb down version of the bill and really just the important stuff.

This is not a debate or political bashing thread, this is simply just a informant thread of what SB 281 is.

What SB 281 Means to You

General Provisions
*A person who owns a firearm is required to report the loss of theft of the firearm within 72 hours of
discovering the loss or theft. There is a civil penalty for the first offense and a criminal penalty for the
second offense.

* Under this bill, records relating to handgun purchases and handgun permits are NOT subject to the public
information act.

*People moving into Maryland after October 1, 2013 with the intent of becoming a resident have 90 days
to register their regulated firearms with MSP. The registration fee is $15.

Rifles
*Designates 45 rifles as “Assault Long Guns” including the AR-15, SKS, as well as any of their “copycats” and bans the sale of these firearms effective October 1st, 2013.

*A “copycat” weapon is defined as a centerfire, semiautomatic rifle with a detachable magazine that has
two or more of the following features:
**Folding stock
**Grenade or flare launcher
**Flash suppressor

*A “copycat” also includes
** A semiautomatic centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with a capacity of more than 10
rounds
**A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds
** A semiautomatic shotgun that has a folding stock
** A shotgun with a revolving cylinder

* This bill is NOT retroactive. If you currently own one of these firearms, or purchase prior to October 1st
2013 you can continue to possess your firearm. In addition, these firearms can continue to be passed on
through inheritance provided the heir is not otherwise disqualified from possessing a Regulated Firearm.

* If you order a banned firearm prior to October 1, 2013, but do not receive your firearm before that date, you may still take possession after October 1, 2013.

* Active and retired law enforcement officers, as well as active military personnel over age 21, are EXEMPT from the provisions and restrictions of this bill.

Magazine Capacity and Ammunition
* Effective October 1, 2013 magazine size for a all firearms is restricted to 10 rounds or less. The purchase,
transfer, or sale of higher capacity magazines is prohibited.

* This bill is NOT retroactive. If you currently possess a large capacity magazine, you may continue to do
so.

* Bans a person from possessing any ammunition if they are disqualified from possessing a regulated
firearm (by virtue of a criminal conviction, drug or alcohol abuse, is a fugitive from justice, or suffers
from a mental disorder)

* Active and retired law enforcement officers, as well as active military personnel over age 21, are
EXEMPT from the provisions and restrictions of this bill.

Handguns
* In order to purchase a handgun after October 1, 2013 you must apply to the Maryland State Police for a
handgun qualification license.

* To receive the license, you must complete a Firearms Orientation Course consisting of 4 hours of
classroom and range training covering state firearms law, home firearm safety, as well as handgun
mechanisms and operations. The range component includes orientation specific to the firearm involving
safe handling.

* The cost of the initial licensing, fingerprinting, and background check is paid by the applicant and is
estimated to be over $100.
** The course is a one-time only requirement for the initial application.
** You DO NOT have to take the training course if any of the following apply:
** You have completed an MSP-approved certified safety course
** You have completed the DNR hunter safety course
** You are a currently a qualified handgun instructor
** You are an honorably discharged member of the Armed Forces or National Guard
** You are an employee of an armored car company who has a handgun permit issued by MSP
** YOU LAWFULLY OWN A REGULATED FIREARM (If you already own a regulated firearm,
you DO NOT have to ever complete the training to apply for the handgun purchase license.)

* To receive the license, you must submit a full set of digital fingerprints and undergo a full background
check.

* Once issued, the license is good for 10 years and you are NOT required to take additional training
courses or submit fingerprints when you apply to renew the license. The renewal fee is $20.

*You DO NOT need a license to own a handgun or an assault rifle. You ONLY need the license if you are
going to purchase a handgun after October 1, 2013.

* Active and retired military and police are exempt from the license requirements but must show valid
credentials to the dealer to purchase. Also exempt are manufacturers and persons purchasing an antique,
curio, or relic as defined by federal law.

Haggis
04-09-2013, 06:49 AM
I guess the law does not apply to me then, since I fill some of the requirements.

SC Cheesehead
04-09-2013, 06:56 AM
"...A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds"

So what's this mean? 9mm with 17 round magazines are gonna be illegal? :confused:

cat in the hat
04-09-2013, 07:09 AM
"...A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds"

So what's this mean? 9mm with 17 round magazines are gonna be illegal? :confused:

Meh, raises more questions than it answers, as usual.

Haggis
04-09-2013, 07:22 AM

What it means if you already own one you are fine. But, will not be able to purchase any more mags with more then 10rds.

Spectragod
04-09-2013, 08:00 AM
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h138/rfrf5500/2008%20CV%20parts/544031_308572175938293_1338363 657_n_zps65c6d2d6.jpg

Granddaddy Marq
04-09-2013, 08:20 AM
I thought this was about Silver Birch Marauders with 4.6 motors in them.

ctrlraven
04-09-2013, 09:17 AM
I thought this was about Silver Birch Marauders with 4.6 motors in them.
Hence why I put (MD Gun Owners) in the thread.

I knew someone would think what you said. :lol:

cat in the hat
04-09-2013, 11:57 AM

What it means if you already own one you are fine. But, will not be able to purchase any more mags with more then 10rds.

Wouldn't that be a detachable magazine ?

And how would they know when you bought it ?
How do you "register" something that doesn't have a serial number ?
. . . and that are commonly sold by mail-order ?
Can you buy replacement parts in the future, like magazine springs and followers, for magazines that you own now ?
Can in-state retailers stock them for sale to the people that are exempt ?
What if no 10-rnd mags are even manufactured for your legally-owned weapon - like, say, a Glock ?
Do you have to turn it in ?
Is it a paperweight ?
etc, etc . . .

The mad rush to push all this stuff through is producing a lot of sloppy legislation IMO.

SC Cheesehead
04-09-2013, 12:00 PM
wouldn't that be a detachable magazine ?

And how would they know when you bought it ?
How do you "register" something that doesn't have a serial number ?
. . . And that are commonly sold by mail-order ?
Can you buy replacement parts in the future, like magazine springs and followers, for magazines that you own now ?
Can in-state retailers stock them for sale to the people that are exempt ?
What if no 10-rnd mags are even manufactured for your legally-owned weapon - like, say, a glock ?
Do you have to turn it in ?
Is it a paperweight ?
Etc, etc . . .

the mad rush to push all this stuff through is producing a lot of sloppy legislation imo.

bingo!

Kinda like "we need to pass this bill so we can find out what's in the bill..."
=============

CBT
04-09-2013, 01:49 PM
bingo!

Kinda like "we need to pass this bill so we can find out what's in the bill..."
=============
I think Pelosi should eat the bill, pass it, then tell us what's in it. I'm pretty sure we already know.

cat in the hat
04-09-2013, 04:09 PM
I think Pelosi should eat the bill, pass it, then tell us what's in it. I'm pretty sure we already know.

. :rofl: