PDA

View Full Version : Blackout Trim - Pinstripe Tape or Plasti-Dip ?

cat in the hat
04-17-2013, 07:46 PM
Preferences ?

1stMerc
04-17-2013, 08:19 PM
Plasti-dip. Tape can be a pain especially around the curved portions.

marauder21
04-17-2013, 09:12 PM
Plasti dip.. itll be much easier to remove if need be

Sent from my Android

DTR + 4.10's + something =
Wreeeeeeeeeeeedam!

cat in the hat
04-18-2013, 06:47 AM
Plasti dip.. itll be much easier to remove if need be

Sent from my Android

Wreeeeeeeeeeeedam!

How is the durability of the Plasti-Dip ?

fastblackmerc
04-18-2013, 07:12 AM
My preference would be none. I think the MM has just the right amount of chrome on the outside.

cj7chris
04-18-2013, 07:44 AM

I plasti-dipped the chrome trim and wheels on mine going into the winter, probably in mid-October, but I don't recall exactly. The car has been washed at least monthly since then, probably about 7 to 10 times. It's all still holding on and looks good. I do have one wheel in the back where the lug nut keeps ripping off the plasti-dip in the depression. I've redone this twice and I noticed that its off again.

Taping up the trim takes a bit, but makes the final result look better. I recommend taping and masking, just because it makes cleaning up the overspray easy. Either way, its time to tape and mask or time to peel and clean.

Don't have any pics right now, but I'll take some soon. I'm planning to rip it off shortly as I like the chrome, etc. I just wanted to experiment and I'm kind of over it at this point. The OEM look is pretty good IMO.

marauder21
04-18-2013, 07:56 AM

Had plasti dip on the car for a little over a year now, been through rain, car wash after car wash....but still holding strong!! I will however take out all the plasti dip and redo everything just because :D:p lol

Sent from my Android

Wreeeeeeeeeeeedam!

cat in the hat
04-18-2013, 08:03 AM
My preference would be none. I think the MM has just the right amount of chrome on the outside.

I agree with you 100%, I've been going stock up to this point. Just in that kind of mood.

cat in the hat
04-18-2013, 05:50 PM
I plasti-dipped the chrome trim and wheels on mine going into the winter, probably in mid-October, but I don't recall exactly. The car has been washed at least monthly since then, probably about 7 to 10 times. It's all still holding on and looks good. I do have one wheel in the back where the lug nut keeps ripping off the plasti-dip in the depression. I've redone this twice and I noticed that its off again.

Taping up the trim takes a bit, but makes the final result look better. I recommend taping and masking, just because it makes cleaning up the overspray easy. Either way, its time to tape and mask or time to peel and clean.

Don't have any pics right now, but I'll take some soon. I'm planning to rip it off shortly as I like the chrome, etc. I just wanted to experiment and I'm kind of over it at this point. The OEM look is pretty good IMO.

Some pix would be great :)

GrandMarq04
04-18-2013, 06:50 PM
i plasti-dipped my GM and it came out great plus its reversible if yoe ever want to change the color or sale the car

BLACKMAGIC03
04-18-2013, 06:50 PM
Isn't there a company that makes blackout tape kit for them? I do collision repair and we use black out tape on everyday cars...holds up if ya want it to last....

cat in the hat
04-18-2013, 07:25 PM
Isn't there a company that makes blackout tape kit for them? I do collision repair and we use black out tape on everyday cars...holds up if ya want it to last....

This ?

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/reviews/showproduct.php/product/38/sort/2/cat/25/page/1

BLACKMAGIC03
04-19-2013, 03:34 AM
Exactly......I'll tricky to install...but any shop that does graphics or pin striping could do it....prolly no more than 50-100$ for labor

marauder21
04-19-2013, 07:12 AM
Exactly......I'll tricky to install...but any shop that does graphics or pin striping could do it....prolly no more than 50-100$ for labor

A can of plasti dip costs like $6 dollars....

Sent from my Android

Wreeeeeeeeeeeedam!

ChiTownMaraud3r
04-19-2013, 07:20 AM
Plasti dip is a pain if you are doing the window chrome. I did mine, spent alot of time prepping masking off and covering the car, end result was the plasti dip always coming off when removing the masking tape, and then on top of that there still was overspray, which comes off but leaves an annoying residue.

I peeled mine off and plan to have a shop tape it black professionally.

Also with tape/vinyl there is no wavy texture look from uneven spraying.

cat in the hat
04-19-2013, 08:46 AM
Plasti dip is a pain if you are doing the window chrome. I did mine, spent alot of time prepping masking off and covering the car, end result was the plasti dip always coming off when removing the masking tape, and then on top of that there still was overspray, which comes off but leaves an annoying residue.

I peeled mine off and plan to have a shop tape it black professionally.

Also with tape/vinyl there is no wavy texture look from uneven spraying.

Have you gotten any estimates on it yet ?

ChiTownMaraud3r
04-19-2013, 10:37 AM
Not yet.

Weather has been a boggling pain here..makes me not want to do anything car related. I also need an estimate on re-spraying the entire roof as its blistered all over. I'll be doing it at the same time I hope.

cat in the hat
04-19-2013, 01:30 PM
It doesn't look like it would be that hard to DIY, but by the time I bought the pinstripe tape for it - in 150' rolls - I could just get a shop to do it.
(And not wind up with enough tape left over to do two dozen cars.)
That's what I'm leaning towards.

BLACKMAGIC03
04-19-2013, 02:01 PM
A can of plasti dip costs like $6 dollars....

Sent from my Android

Wreeeeeeeeeeeedam!

Do u want it to last or rub off take your pick.....gotta spend some money to make stuff last

BLACKMAGIC03
04-19-2013, 02:04 PM
The hard part is not the bubbles use enough soapy water make sure hand are super clean....its the trash that can get in it.....a lil piece of dirt is very noticeable especially if u know its there lol

BLACKMAGIC03
04-19-2013, 02:07 PM
Also plastic dip is textured......black out tape is smooth....rather have smooth clean look

scolazz
04-20-2013, 04:56 AM
I used the blackout tape on mine. 95% of it looks great, just have to touch up some small areas I messed up a little bit in. It passes the '5 foot test' though (looks good from 5 feet or more!). It's held up perfectly for over a year now, and I'll retape it again should it need it, now that I know what I'm doing. I like the flat matte black of the tape with no texture.

HiHoSilver
04-20-2013, 06:43 AM
Plasti dip is pretty durable in my experience. I "dipped" my front merc emblem and it held up well for 6 month (only about 750 miles). My only issue with PD is it looks flat and textured slightly giving it a cheap black trim look you see on work trucks. I think it looks great except when right on top of gloss black. I still might try it on my chrome trim and see how it turns out.