PDA

View Full Version : Rear View Mirror Mount Removal???

Marauderjack
04-22-2013, 01:21 PM
Has anyone successfully removed the mount glued to the windshield in a car??

I installed one on the new glass in my Kit Car and LocTite doesn't warn ya as to how fast the stuff sets.......INSTANTLY......NO SLIDING AT ALL!!!:argue::mad2:

They also recommend not attempting to remove it after you install it but it looks crappy cocked off to the right......works fine but looks bad!!:(

Any chance I can remove it without breakin' the windshield??:confused:

whitey
04-22-2013, 03:19 PM
Acetone might work...removes superglue and i cant imagine its much more than a beefy superglue.

Spectragod
04-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Heat gun and a pair of pliers, I have watched glass guys do it with a Bic lighter, but a heat gun works good, you do not want to grad the button while it is hot.

You can clean off the residual glue with a single edged razor blade.

Mebot
04-22-2013, 07:14 PM
haggis broke my windshield trying to take the rear view mirror off. he should pay attention to this thread

sent from space

Marauderjack
04-23-2013, 04:52 AM
Several locals have said to heat it with a heat gun, hair dryer or even a lighter while holding it with pliers......twisting gently back and forth to remove after glue softens!!:cool:

Never pull it or try to pry it off the glass!!:shake:

May give it a whirl??;)

Will heat hurt the tint??:confused:

NavySeabee
04-23-2013, 05:29 AM
I've done mine with a hair drier on high heat. Heat up the outside of the winshield also. Even better, let it sit in the sun for a few hours. Also, before using the pliers, use a razor blade (single sided!) to cut the glue around the edges and corners of the mount as much as possible. Then try twisting it with the pliers.

Good luck.