PDA

View Full Version : Salvage Pricing

LR216
04-23-2013, 02:27 PM
I own a 2004 Silver Birch with 40k on it, long story short I wrecked it on the freeway my insurance company totalled the car, I bought it back and fixed it. I get a lot of tire kickers asking what I'd take for it and I always say 9k because of the title, well someone finally came back and says they can get it financed, do you guys think I should let it go for 9k? I'm between a rock and a hard place because I love the care but I know that the title kills its value.

tbone
04-23-2013, 02:30 PM
I would probably sell it and get one with a clean title. But that's me.

SC Cheesehead
04-23-2013, 02:31 PM
I own a 2004 Silver Birch with 40k on it, long story short I wrecked it on the freeway my insurance company totalled the car, I bought it back and fixed it. I get a lot of tire kickers asking what I'd take for it and I always say 9k because of the title, well someone finally came back and says they can get it financed, do you guys think I should let it go for 9k? I'm between a rock and a hard place because I love the care but I know that the title kills its value.

How many miles on the car? Were the repairs done professionally? Can you post up some pics?

LOWBUCKMM
04-23-2013, 02:36 PM
Why sell the one you have just to buy one?? I would just keep the one you you have. It still has low miles and you know the history of said car. Just keep it.

LR216
04-23-2013, 02:38 PM
I would probably sell it and get one with a clean title. But that's me.

I was thinking the same but I'm in the process of buying a house and can't apply for financing on what would be the difference if I wanted a lower mileage one. No pics I'm kinda computer stupid, 40k miles, car was fixed and looks good but there is a little bow in the rear passenger side bumper that you only notice if your looking for it.

Limited360
04-23-2013, 02:40 PM
I'd sell the piss out of a branded title car...

Is it clean title or a repaired titled?

Especially @ $9k

I tend to buy and sell a lot of used cars... My rule of thumb is half of nada on a branded title.

Curless
04-23-2013, 02:49 PM
Interesting...so if you have complete pics of before, during and after repairs, everything is done exceptionally well, the car looks runs and drives perfect, you still feel that the value is half?

How about a completely trashed out car with 300,000 miles on it, frame off restored to perfection...what would the value be? And what difference would there be between this car and the other car?

Just curious...

L.Mark
04-23-2013, 03:41 PM
^^^^I agree. It's not like you're driving it down the road and the steering wheel is cocked to the side and the car is drive straight at a 30 degree angle like I've seen some of the old Nova's do...

RF Overlord
04-23-2013, 04:04 PM
The devil you know is better than the devil you don't...

Keep it.

Limited360
04-23-2013, 06:14 PM
Interesting...so if you have complete pics of before, during and after repairs, everything is done exceptionally well, the car looks runs and drives perfect, you still feel that the value is half?

How about a completely trashed out car with 300,000 miles on it, frame off restored to perfection...what would the value be? And what difference would there be between this car and the other car?

Just curious...

I am strictly looking at resale down the road. Branded title is always a branded title whether its repaired or not. Car has been totaled.

However I see your point of views on this topic and the Marauder can be a bit of a specialty just like a fully restored old car with bookooo miles on it even.

That being said, I would still only say half of NADA on a branded title car. Its too hard to find a buyer who will pay good money for a branded title. I would take the 9 and walk away knowing its sold and won't be a hassle down the road. Especially if your less than 9k into the car for repairs!

Limited360
04-23-2013, 06:15 PM
The devil you know is better than the devil you don't...

Keep it.

If you plan on getting another Marauder I would keep this one as well, as you know all of its history... however if the plan is to not get another Marauder, I would get the value out while you have a buyer willing to accept the branded title.

lji372
04-23-2013, 06:27 PM
If the car is straight keep it. I'd rather have a quality low mileage salvage than an unknown car. Typically a salvage doesn't bother me as long as I see before pics and all the work was documented. Obviously a salvage always brings less but 50% after repair:eek: I'd guess more like 75% of going rate.
As far as KBB and NADA I don't trust those values for a second. Salvage titles never bother me because I almost never sell a car. I either drive it till it dies or give it to a family member.

Could a dealer chime in here and give us their perspective. I would love to know where you guys get your numbers from? Thx in advance.

Limited360
04-23-2013, 06:38 PM
Bought and sold 16 cars in the past 12 months, making at least $500 on each after all fees and taxes... the current Marauder was supposed to be the end of that streak, however I can't resist that Trilogy car locally...

I won't disagree on the 75% and your point of view if your keeping the car. I always plan on selling any car at some point in time... just looking for ease of sale down the road. That being said if all the work is done right this car is worth $9k to the right buyer... which is evident by the tire kicking and finally the right buyer.

Based on most comments you should list the car for $10,000 plus on here and it should sell ASAP.

This supercharged car with a salvage title fetched less than 11k if I am not mistaken....

http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=84616

So I would take the $9k and run...

lji372
04-23-2013, 06:42 PM
Yes 10800 if I'm correct. Spent many nights wanting to by it. Only didn't because I already have a black trilogy. It also only had 41000 miles. I'm still kicking my self a little.

Limited360
04-23-2013, 06:45 PM
Yes 10800 if I'm correct. Spent many nights wanting to by it. Only didn't because I already have a black trilogy. It also only had 41000 miles. I'm still kicking my self a little.

I looked at it as well... cannot say it wasn't tempting...

lji372
04-23-2013, 06:59 PM

in person? 41k with the trilogy not tempting? because of the little console issue?

lji372
04-23-2013, 07:00 PM

in person? 41k with the trilogy not tempting? because of the little console issue?

guys are spending up to half that putting a kit together

Limited360
04-23-2013, 07:01 PM

guys are spending up to half that putting a kit together

Not in person. Just on here. I am sure they are.. but when it comes to selling that car.. you can see what they have to go for...

lji372
04-23-2013, 07:03 PM
could have parted it out and made money:D

i am not the part out kind of guy though, if i was there would have been a few happy people though :lol:

Limited360
04-23-2013, 07:04 PM
could have parted it out and made money:D

i am not the part out kind of guy though, if i was there would have been a few happy people though :lol:

That was my thought on buying that... part the kit out and flip the car with branded title stock.. could of made excellent money. However too time consuming for me...

fireandice9008
04-23-2013, 07:15 PM
If you were closer to me we might have to talk, especially if the car is clean. Not much I can do with one that far from NC though...

LR216
04-26-2013, 11:59 AM
Well after reading everyones thoughts and talking with some of my friends, I've decided to keep my car the title doesan't bother me that much as it wasn't that bad of an accident. Plus I couldn't even think of a car I wanted to replace it with.

lji372
04-26-2013, 12:07 PM
congerats on the right decision:beer:

Limited360
04-26-2013, 12:14 PM
Correct decision!!! 😃 Glad your keeping it!!

sailsmen
04-26-2013, 12:33 PM
You have an addiction to paying sales tax?

LR216
04-26-2013, 12:52 PM
You have an addiction to paying sales tax?

What does that mean

L.Mark
04-26-2013, 01:33 PM
Glad you're keeping it...title, smititle...whos care...:banana2:...she still runs with the big dogs.:banana2:

sailsmen
04-26-2013, 03:55 PM
What does that mean

Private Sale sell car for X and then buy car for Y+Sales Tax.
Some forget to factor in Sales Tax.

Limited360
04-27-2013, 04:38 AM
Private Sale sell car for X and then buy car for Y+Sales Tax.
Some forget to factor in Sales Tax.

Sales tax is relative... I never out what I paid on a title to get my registration... Unless its dealer bought. So this can be negated very often...

sailsmen
04-27-2013, 09:33 AM
I am never an advocate of tax fraud.

Curless
04-27-2013, 09:51 AM
I am never an advocate of tax fraud.

Neither am I, especially when its the government frauding the public, thats what I tell them when they make me pay for the taxes already collected on the car when it was new.

sailsmen
04-27-2013, 10:06 AM
At the moment I am more concerned with the tens of millions frauding the tax payer on SSDI, EBT, Housing, CASH payments, College Grants etc.
For every 1 person in the private sector 1.25 either work for the Gov't or are getting Welfare.
33.33% of the population is on means tested welfare representing - per the Congressional Research Service - "...estimates that exclusively federal spending on these federal programs equaled approximately $746 ..." is greater than "...the annual budget expenditure for Social Security was $725 billion, Medicare was $480 billion, and non-war defense was $540 billion.."

Limited360
04-27-2013, 10:07 AM
Neither am I, especially when its the government frauding the public, thats what I tell them when they make me pay for the taxes already collected on the car when it was new.

Exactly. Why are they collecting sales tax over and over... I always pay something....

Curless
04-27-2013, 10:22 AM
Yep, I agree with you Limited360!

Limited360
04-27-2013, 12:06 PM
Yep, I agree with you Limited360!

That being said I paid full sales tax in my car as I bought from a Ford dealer in South Haven.

lji372
04-27-2013, 03:51 PM
I never advocate speeding either :lol: