PDA

View Full Version : Great Lakes WWII Aircraft Carriers

UncleLar
04-24-2013, 06:42 AM
A LONG read,but lot's of great pics and some decent links.
It's likely a whole lot of you never knew about these.

http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48962

yjmud
04-24-2013, 06:59 AM
I did not know the name of them but I knew that they were used also that is why they always pull crashedpplanes out of the lake to restore

Vortex
04-24-2013, 07:36 AM
Very interesting to me since Im an old salt myself. Never heard of em and interesting to note these were sidewheelers, ancient technology really. Thanks for posting.

Bigdogjim
04-24-2013, 08:05 AM
Thanks for sharing!! I though I had read almost everything about WW-II aircraft carriers. Never knew about the tranning carriers! Always wonders how the trained durning the War

UncleLar
04-24-2013, 09:42 AM
Thanks for sharing!! I though I had read almost everything about WW-II aircraft carriers. Never knew about the tranning carriers! Always wonders how the trained durning the War

Yep,Glenview Naval Air Station,a short way north of Chicago was the air base where they kept the planes and trained the pilots.
Not all that long ago they closed Glenview down and built a slew of condos and townhomes and put in some stores,etc.And they had the nerve to name the main street running through it "Patriot Drive".They were supposed to put in a museum dedicated to all the Vets who were stationed there and trained there rent free.They renigged on that deal,so much for "Patriot" drive.
The control tower is still there and a lot of people bought bricks for a Memorial sidewalk that's there.

BTW,not far from the Naval Air Station is where my buddy Lee Roy Hartung had his massive collection that was auctioned off a few years ago after his death.
I tried for years to buy that 40 Ford drop top and an old Harley single like my father had in 1925 to no avail.Once stuff went into the barn it just sat and was never started or driven again while he was alive.

http://jalopnik.com/5856675/tour-the-impressive-lee-hartung-collection-one-last-time

shawn.criswell
04-24-2013, 10:10 AM
Appreciate the read, as an active duty Aviation Ordnanceman, I have served on three carriers, Theodore Roosevelt, Enterprise and precommisioned/deployed on the George H. W. Bush. Met both Bush Sr. and Jr. To listen to the stories and see the practices and equipment used then compared to now and what is to come is truly astounding.

SC Cheesehead
04-24-2013, 10:53 AM
That is really cool! Thanks for posting!

BTW, in a somewhat similar vein; a lot of folks don't know it, but the Manitowoc Shipyards in WI built and launched 28 submarines in WWII, whodathunkit?

http://www.ecb.org/hometown_stories/Manitowoc-TwoRivers/PDF/Manitowoc_Subs_Scrapbook.pdf

Marauderjack
04-24-2013, 02:48 PM
TOO COOL!!:beer:

Those guys....all of 'em......had GUTS!!:eek:

guspech750
04-24-2013, 05:03 PM
I read a little about the great lakes carriers. But nothing like what's posted in that link.

That is so awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone 4S

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

jdando
04-24-2013, 05:35 PM
I did not know the name of them but I knew that they were used also that is why they always pull crashedpplanes out of the lake to restore

Midway airport has one of the recovered planes hanging in the A terminal;

A B-3, SBD Dauntless Dive-Bomber

http://jeremyd.smugmug.com/Other/potn/i-FHx7qFW/0/O/1S7T6414-kmdw-night-2.jpg

SC Cheesehead
04-24-2013, 06:12 PM
Midway airport has one of the recovered planes hanging in the A terminal;

A B-3, SBD Dauntless Dive-Bomber

Yup, I walk under that rascal 4 times a month.

UncleLar
04-24-2013, 06:15 PM
Do you know whom O'Hare Airport is named for and what he did?

SC Cheesehead
04-24-2013, 06:55 PM
Do you know whom O'Hare Airport is named for and what he did?

Named in honor of Edward "Butch" O'Hare, a WWII Naval Aviator (Ace), and a Medal of Honor recipient. Killed in action.

UncleLar
04-24-2013, 10:04 PM
He became an Ace in ONE action,shooting down 5 planes,probably Zeros which were way more than a match for the Wildcat he flew.The Wildcat was heavier,slower and couldn't turn or climb with the Japanese planes,yet as we see in the hands of a skilled and determined pilot a Wildcat could make a good accounting of itself.
And,supposedly,rumor has it,he was the son of Al Capone's accountant.
Now I'm not sure if that's true but the guys who fought in WWII were a remarkable lot and came from all walks of life.
Now we're losing them at the rate of 1500 per day.
Out here we have a lot of old Vets and I always say Hello,shake their hand and thank them,because if it wasn't for them we'd be speaking German or Japanese now.

SC Cheesehead
04-25-2013, 03:01 AM
He became an Ace in ONE action,shooting down 5 planes,probably Zeros which were way more than a match for the Wildcat he flew.The Wildcat was heavier,slower and couldn't turn or climb with the Japanese planes,yet as we see in the hands of a skilled and determined pilot a Wildcat could make a good accounting of itself.
And,supposedly,rumor has it,he was the son of Al Capone's accountant.
Now I'm not sure if that's true but the guys who fought in WWII were a remarkable lot and came from all walks of life.
Now we're losing them at the rate of 1500 per day.
Out here we have a lot of old Vets and I always say Hello,shake their hand and thank them,because if it wasn't for them we'd be speaking German or Japanese now.

Me too. They're not called the "Greatest Generation" for nothing, very special folks.