PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please, that should be hard here :D

lji372
04-29-2013, 05:56 PM
Looking to do a project to get my 15 year old son a little more into cars.

I am mechanically inclined but not a mechanic or body guy. But this one seems doable. Looking for your opinion and or advice.
Two rust areas, both are on the roof. Other than that everything is solid.
Thank you in advance

mustang50lx
04-29-2013, 06:09 PM
Disc brakes, dual master cylinder, 3 point seat (shoulder) belts. Make it as safe as you can for him. I love old cars, but they are light on safety.

L.Mark
04-29-2013, 06:31 PM
That thing has a big enuff steering wheel you can stuff a Serta in there so when the airbag inflates it will take up the whole cab...:D Swwet ride, aught to be a good project...

Spectragod
04-29-2013, 06:44 PM
Just go ahead and nick name that B.O.A.T. right now....... Bring Out Another Thousand, because that's how it will go, been there, done that.

Aside of that, the roof is a relatively easy fix, and all the truck looks like it needs is everything, money and time will fix her right up. :D

If your son is into cars, he should enjoy the project, and will get out what he puts in, it should be a wonderful learning experience.:beer:

wickedmerc
04-29-2013, 06:53 PM
Is it a mess under the hood? Engine/trans?

For nothing else, I'll all but guarantee he'll be the only 1 in his school driving 1 of those....it's got a lot of style!

lji372
04-29-2013, 07:18 PM
Bed wood is done. Engine bay holds from what I'm told a well running 350 (out of a vette) connected to an automatic transmission. The bonus is there is not a single part missing. What isnt in the pics is in a box. Current owner is a VERY trustworthy person. He and his buddy started it as a joint venture and his pal passed away a few years ago an its been sitting in his garage since then. I offered him a friends number to finish it for him but he has zero interest in getting it done. He wants his garage back but is not giving it away either.

Shaijack
04-29-2013, 08:30 PM
Jerry I could buy it from you. I have been looking for a truck for a while. He needs a Camero or Trans Am.

Baaad GN
04-29-2013, 08:37 PM
Just make sure gas tank is between(middle) of the frame rails.

Haggis
04-30-2013, 04:04 AM
Cool Truck there Jerry. Just pull out that GM motor and stick a Ford 427 in her. Way safer then any of that Jap crap on the roads today, that thing is built like a tank.

lji372
04-30-2013, 04:46 AM
Jerry I could buy it from you. I have been looking for a truck for a while. He needs a Camero or Trans Am.

Barry, this he does NOT need. Then there will be a bunch of teenage boys and girls hanging around which is not what I need:D
He wants a newer style camaro but that is Not going to happen on my watch. I want him to appreciate the vehicle he drives. He'll only do that by putting some sweat equity into it, and this seems doable. Even if not done to the tens would make a great back and forth to school ride.

+2 on safety concerns, brakes, seat belt and gas tank.
Thanks Gordon but a 350 is more than enough for a young lad, probably too much. I'll screw a 2x4 under the gas pedal :D

Haggis
04-30-2013, 04:57 AM
Barry, this he does NOT need. Then there will be a bunch of teenage boys which is not what I need and girls hanging around in which I do need:D
He wants a newer style camaro but that is Not going to happen on my watch. I want him to appreciate the vehicle he drives. He'll only do that by putting some sweat equity into it, and this seems doable. Even if not done to the tens would make a great back and forth to school ride.

+2 on safety concerns, brakes, seat belt and gas tank.
Thanks Gordon but a 350 is more than enough for a young lad, probably too much. I'll screw a 2x4 under the gas pedal :D

***Fixed***

Put the 427 in it for me and I'll buy it for $8.00.

lji372
08-13-2013, 04:19 PM
Curless tending to some brake lines while the boy tends to the front brake caliper mount

Oh header bolts always suck
FYI everything in a kit always bolts right up!

After some curless cure
(Power brakes and steering)
Doesn't Chris's face scream "it's time for you folks to LEAVE!!" :laugh:

Took her home for some sanding
A little patch work
A little disassembly

45 minutes into the project and

Another 15 minutes and we'll be ready for Woodward!!

Yep, if you watch Stacey David you too can get a project done in an hour!!

MyTMerc
08-13-2013, 04:41 PM
Looking forward to seeing it this weekend. In a few days it should be "Best in show!"

L.Mark
08-13-2013, 05:07 PM
Good color!!! Gonna be sweet!!!

lji372
08-13-2013, 05:18 PM
Looking forward to seeing it this weekend. In a few days it should be "Best in show!"

Lol

Show truck it is not:(

15 minutes from done we are not:lol:

If I can get it far enough along it will be there undone:banana:

Glass and exhaust would be nice:banana2:

RichardP
08-13-2013, 05:29 PM
IMHO....You are one cool dad. The only cars I had at 15 was the ones I drew, and cut out of the Dupont Regestry that I got from my science teacher. This should be a great bonding experience

lji372
08-13-2013, 06:39 PM
IMHO....You are one cool dad. The only cars I had at 15 was the ones I drew, and cut out of the Dupont Regestry that I got from my science teacher. This should be a great bonding experience

Parents are typically as cool as they can afford to be:beatnik: