PDA

View Full Version : The Last Hurrah

UncleLar
04-30-2013, 01:08 PM
for some real Heroes.
Our WWII Vets are dying off at the rate of 1500 a day,pretty soon all of them will be gone. God Less Them All!

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-57581997/crowds-line-up-to-meet-doolittles-raiders-for-last-time/

Mr. Man
04-30-2013, 01:40 PM
Heartwarming story. Thanks for posting. Still amazed at how humble the WWII vets are.

UncleLar
04-30-2013, 04:30 PM
I've had the privilege to meet some true WWII Heros.
I met one of my neighbors and several of his shipmates at a gun show and unbeknownst to me he was one of the survivors of the tragic loss of the USS Indianapolis.The court martial of her Captain was a true travesty and a case of the Navy covering their azzez and hanging him out to dry.
Later in the 1950's he ate his service revolver because so many families blamed him for the loss of their loved ones,yet EVERY MAN JACK survivor swore they would sail with him again anytime.
Here's part of their story..............http://www.ussindianapolis.org/story.htm

At yet another gun show I met many of the men from the 509th Composite Group,the guys who dropped the atom bombs on Japan and effectively ended WWII.
I got to talk to them and was shown many photographs that aren't published anywhere.
Not a single one of them was a braggart or considered themselves a hero,yet they are.

Then there's Roy,from my neighborhood in Chicago.
Roy is a Nisei,first born generation of Japanese Americans.I met him when I he and his brother joined up and were placed in the first group of the 442nd even though the rest of their family was still held in that camp.was going to physical therapy,I saw him struggling to get out of his car and into a wheelchair so I helped him.We got to talking and I saw his WWII Army Vet plates and asked if he was 442nd.He said yes,he was.He and his family were removed from their home,lost all their property and most of their belongings and placed in what amounted to a concentration camp.Yet when the Army came looking for volunteers to fight he and his brother joined up and were placed in the first group of the 442nd even though the rest of their family was still held in that camp.
He serviced quite honorably and was severely wounded in France,a mine exploded and his right arm and leg were torn up badly and his left arm and leg were wounded also.
His brother was killed.To this day Roy has probably spent 1/3 or more of his life since than in and out of the hospital,I know he's constantly in pain,he lost his brother,his entire family was placed in a concentration camp,they lost practically everything they owned and yet when I apologized to him for the treatment they received and thanked him for his sacrifices he merely said that "that was the times back then".
When he saw my veterans plates he asked when I served and I told him,he really floored me then,he said I feel bad for you Viet Nam Vets for the way you were treated!
Here was Roy with everything he had endured and he felt bad for ME!
The 442nd........http://www.goforbroke.org/history/history_historical_veterans_44 2nd.asp

To me,ALL these guys are hero's
AND,there are more every day,these guys and women who've served since then and the ones serving now Hero's,none will ever call themselves that,yet they are,they enlist to go in harms way and fight somewhere a long way from home so we can be safe here at home.
Thanks to you Vets,Past,Present,and Future!

TAKEDOWN
04-30-2013, 05:59 PM
Their generation is the greatest, nuff said! I salute you all thank you for all you've done!

Btw... Hi UncleLar hope all is better than well!

Mr. Man
05-01-2013, 07:51 AM
I've had the privilege to meet some true WWII Heros.
I met one of my neighbors and several of his shipmates at a gun show and unbeknownst to me he was one of the survivors of the tragic loss of the USS Indianapolis.The court martial of her Captain was a true travesty and a case of the Navy covering their azzez and hanging him out to dry.
Later in the 1950's he ate his service revolver because so many families blamed him for the loss of their loved ones,yet EVERY MAN JACK survivor swore they would sail with him again anytime.
Here's part of their story..............http://www.ussindianapolis.org/story.htm

My father-in-law was on the first leg of the USS Indianapolis' trip, SF to Hawaii. He said the crew had no idea what they were carrying but they knew it was a big deal because of all the secrecy on board. He wasn't on it for very long as the ship set numerous speed records but he must have met a few of the guys on board. He didn't like to talk about it and would tear up when he did.

My father-in-law passed away a few years back but he was one of the most gentile and honest men I have ever met. I miss our chats.

lji372
05-01-2013, 08:04 AM
[QUOTE=TAKEDOWN;1292196]Their generation is the greatest, nuff said! I salute you all thank you for all you've done!

couldn't have said it better:beer: