PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Town Car Remote Starts Only

VMARAUDER
05-19-2013, 08:18 AM
My 2001 Lincoln Town Car will only remote start. It has done it intermittedly for the past 3 to 4 months (starting normally for 2 to 3 weeks) then I remote start it once and then it's normal for 2-3 more weeks. Recently that interval has shortened to 3 -4 days and now starts remotely only. I have removed power fron the alarm system and disconnected the battery for 10 mins or so while I cleaned the post. Still remote starts only.

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED

martyo
05-19-2013, 08:41 AM
If you have a spare key for your car, try starting it with that.

It could be that your key is corrupt/broken/shot/FUBAR'd

VMARAUDER
05-19-2013, 08:43 AM
Tried all keys except my valet which I am looking for now. I have it but just do not know where it is

Found the valet key and still remote starts only. I have 2 original factory keys that came with the car one works sometimes
How does the key go bad?
Can a key be de-programmed?
Can a key be corrupted by being in a drawre with multiple transponder keys?

EMAS
05-19-2013, 10:30 AM
No a key can't be deprogramed as it isn't programed it is the car that is trained to accept a particular key's code. Note there are aftermarket programable or "cloneable" keys but not factory keys.

Yes they can quit working but it would be extremely rare for all of them to fail at the same time.

My bet is that your ignition switch is failing but you didn't say if the engine cranks and doesn't start with the key or if it doesn't crank at all. Not cranking at all would indicate a bad ign sw. It could also be the wiring between the ign sw and where the remote start is connected to that circuit.

VMARAUDER
05-19-2013, 12:58 PM
Engine cranks and does not start. I will see if I can still get under the dash and check the wiring. I was thinking about retiring this beast anyway (it's hard to part with a reliable vehicle) though it has no other issues.

Spectragod
05-19-2013, 02:00 PM
Bad pickup ring for the PATS

VMARAUDER
05-19-2013, 02:36 PM
PATS???? acronyms are not my best subject

martyo
05-19-2013, 03:31 PM
PATS???? acronyms are not my best subject

Passive Anti Theft System

VMARAUDER
05-19-2013, 04:55 PM
Looking at this picture thi image to the left is ????

VMARAUDER
05-20-2013, 06:05 AM
I found my valet key and it will not start the vehicle either...it does crank
so where is the pick up ring located and can you purchase it from Ford or an aftermarket retailer?

I did not mention that it has the "Directed" module for the remote start and viper 560XV alarm
So as I stand I have 1 original key that starts sometimes, 1 original key that does not start and 1 original valet key that does not start. 2 aftermarket keys that were good but no longer starts...all keys will allow car to run once it is remotely started

Spectragod
05-20-2013, 05:43 PM
Well, the autostart is hooked into the PATS to bypass it. I would pull the plastic off the bottom and top of the steering column and inspect the wiring where that is tied in.

Most austostarts are installed loose and fast, meaning shortcuts are taken, namely scotchloks and crappy jobs of wiring system in. That is where I would look first.

Past that, I would look at the pickup that is around the ignition lock cylinder. If the car starts with the autostart, then the PATS is working, the problem is upstream from that, either the wiring, pickup or the keys fell out of the programming somehow