PDA

View Full Version : Two-Lane Blacktop

Panther dude
05-21-2013, 02:46 PM
Has anybody seen this movie? Saw it for the first time, pretty awesome flick, made me want to do burnouts in the Marauder in front of my house!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-Lane_Blacktop

Curless
05-21-2013, 02:47 PM
Love it! Right along with American Graffiti!!!!!!

L.Mark
05-21-2013, 02:48 PM
Yes, pretty good. Have you seen Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry. It'll make you wanna do power slides everywhere...

Panther dude
05-21-2013, 02:49 PM
Yea, saw that as a kid, Mary's teeth were kinda messed up.

L.Mark
05-21-2013, 02:56 PM
That's why they had a bag in the bag seat...:eek:

L.Mark
05-21-2013, 02:57 PM

You were there during that time, right...:P

justbob
05-21-2013, 03:37 PM
Where you at Dom?

Self proclaimed Builder Of Badassery.

Buy it, Break it, Build it BETTER.
"Since 2004"

Motorhead350
05-21-2013, 03:49 PM
I worship this film.

The more I watch it, the more realistic and depressing it can actually be. Two guys driving around racing random people around the country for money. It seems like they are the only ones in the film actually doing what they want. GTO was playing the song Me and Bobby MeGee because he's lost everything, but his freedom. The freedom being the open road and a fast car, that's all that's left for him.

The girl never stays with anyone for more than a day and is a drifter. We don't know much about the driver and the mechanic. Why are they racing? Did they lose everything too and like GTO all they have left is their freedom? Did they run a garage together and had to leave town? There is a LOT of mystery to the two main characters.

No matter where in the country they are, all the people seem sad. Sometimes just hearing the pipes of a 454 is the most exciting part of their day. Like at the beginning, the gas station worker wants to race, but is having transmission troubles? Why? He's pumping gas. How in the world can he afford a car that can compete against an 11 second car in 1971? Maybe things were going fine and like GTO lost nearly everything, still has the race car, but it's broken.

The driver and mechanic are so out of step with society, they don't even know what day it is. The driver doesn't even want to hear the news. The turns the radio off because it's "distracting." You know why? All of the news is so depressing and they want to enjoy their fun and not give a hoot about anyone else. Like when GTO breaks down and goes into his life story, The Driver doesn't care. He wants to live for the moment.

Also the car breaks down. Something we hardly ever see in car films. Being on the side of the road due to a bad spark plug, IT HAPPENS.

The film is so close to reality it can give you chills or bring tears to your eyes if you watch it close enough.

Most people think it's a boring film, but those people have no idea what it's like driving a highly modified car across the country. Giving some poor souls a chance to smile for the first time in a while.

Two-Lane Blacktop is probably my favorite film of all time. Rob Zombie wrote a song about it. You know who the mechanic is right???

Lyrics there too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uWqiDIZJ4U

Look who is in the seat....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IWYmo2LceE

The modern world sucks!!!

DOOM
05-21-2013, 03:58 PM
Yes, pretty good. Have you seen Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry. It'll make you wanna do power slides everywhere...

I loved this movie too.

Mebot
05-21-2013, 04:19 PM
I worship this film.

The more I watch it, the more realistic and depressing it can actually be. Two guys driving around racing random people around the country for money. It seems like they are the only ones in the film actually doing what they want. GTO was playing the song Me and Bobby MeGee because he's lost everything, but his freedom. The freedom being the open road and a fast car, that's all that's left for him.

The girl never stays with anyone for more than a day and is a drifter. We don't know much about the driver and the mechanic. Why are they racing? Did they lose everything too and like GTO all they have left is their freedom? Did they run a garage together and had to leave town? There is a LOT of mystery to the two main characters.

No matter where in the country they are, all the people seem sad. Sometimes just hearing the pipes of a 454 is the most exciting part of their day. Like at the beginning, the gas station worker wants to race, but is having transmission troubles? Why? He's pumping gas. How in the world can he afford a car that can compete against an 11 second car in 1971? Maybe things were going fine and like GTO lost nearly everything, still has the race car, but it's broken.

The driver and mechanic are so out of step with society, they don't even know what day it is. The driver doesn't even want to hear the news. The turns the radio off because it's "distracting." You know why? All of the news is so depressing and they want to enjoy their fun and not give a hoot about anyone else. Like when GTO breaks down and goes into his life story, The Driver doesn't care. He wants to live for the moment.

Also the car breaks down. Something we hardly ever see in car films. Being on the side of the road due to a bad spark plug, IT HAPPENS.

The film is so close to reality it can give you chills or bring tears to your eyes if you watch it close enough.

Most people think it's a boring film, but those people have no idea what it's like driving a highly modified car across the country. Giving some poor souls a chance to smile for the first time in a while.

Two-Lane Blacktop is probably my favorite film of all time. Rob Zombie wrote a song about it. You know who the mechanic is right???

Lyrics there too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uWqiDIZJ4U

Look who is in the seat....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IWYmo2LceE

The modern world sucks!!!

That is whats called a trancendental movie experience. Congratulations! not many people attain this level of movie watching.

It happened to me with Fearless (1993) and again while watching Scarecrow (1973) and again with Solaris (1972). its almost a spiritual enlightenment

sent from space

L.Mark
05-21-2013, 04:23 PM
I didn't know Zombie's song was about Two-Lane...:eek:

68MercuryM250
05-21-2013, 04:36 PM
Just texted the wife and sent her to Hastings to rent or buy Two-lane blacktop. Hope its a goodun. American Graffiti is still one of my top car movies ever......I am an old guy though....

L.Mark
05-21-2013, 04:41 PM
Get Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry and make it a double feature!!!:D

Good times...

Motorhead350
05-21-2013, 04:41 PM
That is whats called a trancendental movie experience. Congratulations! not many people attain this level of movie watching.

It happened to me with Fearless (1993) and again while watching Scarecrow (1973) and again with Solaris (1972). its almost a spiritual enlightenment

sent from space

I will have to check those out. Like you, I would imagine when a film hits close to home it can hit really hard, sometimes to a point where you don't even wanna watch it again.

Ever seen Rebel Without A Cause? :(

RubberCtyRauder
05-21-2013, 04:42 PM
I've had Two Lane on vhs since before DVD.,Anyone remember "Mr.Bardahl"? From the movie and in actual drag racing?

"Is your top end unlimited? "

L.Mark
05-21-2013, 04:45 PM
You know who the mechanic is right???

What'd I miss??? Who's the mechanic???

Motorhead350
05-21-2013, 04:46 PM
What'd I miss??? Who's the mechanic???

Dennis Wilson.

The Beach Boys drummer. Right before he died. :(

maineiac
05-21-2013, 04:48 PM
Both great flics and i always want to do burnouts in front of my house,dont need a movie,to bad the chief of the po po lives next door.

Motorhead350
05-21-2013, 04:50 PM
Both great flics and i always want to do burnouts in front of my house,dont need a movie,to bad the chief of the po po lives next door.

Become friends with him and he won't see or remember anything you didn't do.

L.Mark
05-21-2013, 04:50 PM
Dennis Wilson.

The Beach Boys drummer. Right before he died. :(

Holy crap...didn't know that!!!

99SVT
05-21-2013, 05:03 PM
Those are probably my two favorite car movies of all time. The plot pretty much takes a backseat to the cars, drivers and the stuntwork.

Deathproof is the only real modern equivalent, more of a homage to the stuntmen who made those movies back in the day.

Sent from my toilet seat using Tapatalk 2

Comin' in Hot
05-21-2013, 05:29 PM

I love those two movies, but Hollywood Knights has to be my favorite

jaywish
05-21-2013, 05:30 PM
Not available at Cablevision

CBT
05-21-2013, 05:52 PM
Ever seen Rebel Without A Cause? :(

Yep, he drives a Black Marauder and plays in a band.

Shaijack
05-21-2013, 05:59 PM
Pie Wagon?????

sailsmen
05-21-2013, 06:18 PM
Vanishing Point

Easy Rider

In HS we worked on a friends various Chargers. he would get the repos from a Dodge Dealership. One was a repo from a bank robber who used it as a gettaway car, 383. Very, very fast.

We would race at LaPlace drag strip in LA.

He was also on the Motor Cross Circuit with Husqvarnas.

He has a 1962 Impala SS 409/4/4 that he let me drive. I let him take my MM down the track.

When he grew up we worked on his Harleys. I got to drive the first turbo Harley in the State. He owned one of the Harley Dealerships in the area and another friend owned another Harley Dealership in the area.

I still keep in touch with them.

Motorhead350
05-21-2013, 07:14 PM
T

Deathproof is the only real modern equivalent, more of a homage to the stuntmen who made those movies back in the day.

Deathproof is pretty much making fun of the modern world and modern film making. That's what makes it so much fun. It has an awesome car chase that few understand.

Watch the chase on the highway carefully, they are pointing out how lame modern cars are when you see two classics bashing each other to bits.

I can go on and on about this one too. I still playing with putting the Death Proof logo on my hood.

Comin' in Hot
05-21-2013, 07:18 PM
Pie Wagon?????

Newbomb's Pie Wagon

http://chevysupplyofassonet.com/images/piewagon/piewagon01.jpg

ncmm
05-21-2013, 07:24 PM

my top end is unlimited!

Vortex
05-21-2013, 11:01 PM
Im sure you guys know that the Chevy in "Two Lane Blacktop" is the exact same car that was in "American Graffiti" but with a different paintjob:

http://unofficialamericangraffiti.wee bly.com/the-1955-chevy.html

L.Mark
05-22-2013, 02:05 AM
my top end is unlimited!

Awesome quote...

Haggis
05-22-2013, 04:54 AM

Do it anyway. Live to be Free!!!

Motorhead350
05-22-2013, 09:19 AM
Im sure you guys know that the Chevy in "Two Lane Blacktop" is the exact same car that was in "American Graffiti" but with a different paintjob:

http://unofficialamericangraffiti.wee bly.com/the-1955-chevy.html

Yes I knew that.

Did you know the engine noise from Two-Lane Black Top was used in the first Smokie and The Bandit movie? So we are listening to the 55, not the Trans Am.

99SVT
05-22-2013, 10:15 AM
Vanishing point is an excellent movie about ptsd. I felt exactly like kowalski after coming back from Afghanistan. It's hard trying to fit into mainstream society and all i wanted to do was find the next adrenaline rush to remind me that i was still alive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997R using Tapatalk 2

Curless
05-22-2013, 10:26 AM
You were there during that time, right...:P

Delayed response due to my age.... Don't hate the player hate the game! :cool4:

Curless
05-22-2013, 10:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOgqUHk-zDY

L.Mark
05-22-2013, 03:22 PM
Nice!!!!:burnout:

1stMerc
05-22-2013, 07:21 PM
Just texted the wife and sent her to Hastings to rent or buy Two-lane blacktop. Hope its a goodun. American Graffiti is still one of my top car movies ever......I am an old guy though....

No need.

Here ya go.
You can find quite a few full length movies on you tube these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvjO78kWVZ4

Crown Vicman
05-22-2013, 07:53 PM
yea its an okay movie not as good as smokey and the bandit or dirty mary crazy larry though. You can never go fast enough.

MyRaider
05-22-2013, 10:28 PM
The California Kid... another great car movie (coincidentally, I just watched in on Blu-ray)... gotta order Two-Lane Blacktop now. I love those old car movies.:)

Motorhead350
05-23-2013, 11:26 AM
Two-Lane Blacktop is not for everyone. If you want constant action and chases see Road Warrior.

If you want a film on the reality of car culture and driving across the country check out Two-Lane Blacktop.

L.Mark
05-23-2013, 12:44 PM
That is true. First time I saw it I was yuck!!! When I actually watched it, it wasn't bad. Like Dom said, it seemed real.

L.Mark
05-23-2013, 12:45 PM
The California Kid... another great car movie (coincidentally, I just watched in on Blu-ray)... gotta order Two-Lane Blacktop now. I love those old car movies.:)

Never heard of that one. Gotta check out youtube...

L.Mark
05-23-2013, 02:02 PM
Ok, watched California Kid. Pretty good. Love ole Vic Morrow. He was also in Ugly Mary, Crazy Larry. Plays an excellent creek/bully.

jaywish
05-23-2013, 04:12 PM
Just finished the Movie on Utube. First time I saw it. Kinda cool seeing all the cars I grew up with.

In 71 that chevy was 16 years old. Like having a 1997 now. It's funny when i look at the film I see all the "current" cars and I don't emotionally think of them as old. To me the 55 and the old rods are old. I know intellectually that the late 60's cars are really old, it just doesn't feel that way.

**** that 70 go is 43 years old. In 71 that 37? they raced was only 36 yeas old.

Good movie all in all.

mustang50lx
05-23-2013, 08:10 PM
Here is a few other great old car movies that came to mind:

The original 1974 Gone in 60 seconds
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot
White lightning
Cannonball run
Gumball Rally
Moonrunners (I think that was the name--it was the movie the Dukes of Hazzard was based off of.)

I love old car movies

MyRaider
05-23-2013, 09:11 PM
The original Thunder Road was a pretty good movie too. I clearly need to build up my video collection.

L.Mark
05-23-2013, 10:23 PM
They remade Vanishing Point with Vigo Morritson(Aragorn from LOTR's trio)...it's not bad...