PDA

View Full Version : Ecoboost towing...first thoughts

Green96
05-23-2013, 06:47 PM
In light of the recent thread about the Ecoboost, I thought I would post my first thoughts on towing with it.

First off a little about my truck. I have a 2013 XLT 4X4 Supercrew with a 5.5ft bed and the standard towing package. I wanted the 3.73 rear end, which required that I get either the "max tow" package or the "off-road" package. I had to choose the off-road package because the super duty style mirrors that came with the max tow package would not fit in my garage. The dealer was unable to locate such a creature, so I ordered a truck in early March. The max tow package would have given me a little over 11,000 lbs towing capacity. The off road package does not have quite the same cooling system (although it does still have auxiliary coolers) so it is limited to a little over 9,000 lbs towing capacity.

Next, my trailer. It is a 27ft travel trailer that is 5800lbs dry and has a tongue weight of 700lbs. It weights approx 6500lbs as towed. I am using a Reese weight distribution and sway control in one. http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Reese/RP66074.html

I have only pulled the trailer about 50 miles, but so far it has done fantastic. It pulls away from stops easily without staining in tow haul mode. The 3.73 gears keep the engine close to it's power band when on the highway. I ran it up to 65 on the highway. It pulls strong up inclines and does not need to down shift since it is already close to it's power band.

I am sure that some people are having issues towing with their Ecoboost, but did they set it up correctly to tow? I spoke to my dealer today and he told me about a customer that just picked up a regular cab 2wd that he wanted to use for towing....he wanted to maximize MPG, so he got it with the base 3.31 rear end and headed for TN towing a camper. He has not gotten an update from him yet, but it would not surprise me at all if he has issues. You can have your cake and eat it too if your set it up correctly, but if that guy thinks he can take that truck and pull the highest weight he has ever seen advertised on TV with that truck he is an idiot. Disclaimer: I do not know what his trailer weight is, he might be just fine if he is towing a little 4000 lb trailer.

I will be towing more soon....I will keep you posted.

guspech750
05-23-2013, 07:35 PM
Nice read. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

DTR + 4.10's + Eaton swap = Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

ajdereicup
05-23-2013, 09:08 PM
Thanks for providing info on the flip side. It seems like all you hear about is the bad never the good

JBFTech
05-24-2013, 04:16 AM
I will agree and back up your statement, a lot of the people who talk bad about these trucks, as far as "they don't tow as advertised" and "they get bad fuel mileage" etc, are the people who didn't buy the right truck for their needs, or they beat the poor truck to death and expect the best results. The Ecoboost F150 is a great truck, if you treat it right, and set it up properly for your intended use!

bigcowl-imp
05-24-2013, 04:25 AM
So whats the mpg with and without your trailer ??

SC Cheesehead
05-24-2013, 06:13 AM
I will agree and back up your statement, a lot of the people who talk bad about these trucks, as far as "they don't tow as advertised" and "they get bad fuel mileage" etc, are the people who didn't buy the right truck for their needs, or they beat the poor truck to death and expect the best results. The Ecoboost F150 is a great truck, if you treat it right, and set it up properly for your intended use!

Yup.
------------

Marauderman
05-24-2013, 06:33 AM
I have a 2012 F-150- with the EB and Off Road Package withthe 373 gears--with 11,300 tow deal---

Tuesday I hauled my MM for 308 miles and not a problem. Trailer is 2K and car about 4200 + so was round 6200 all toll I suppose. Tongue is 500 #. With "Tow Haul" engaged the rig altogether works great---the tow haul gears down the the tranny on long slopes at high speeds to keep truck steady from "sway" in control without losing speed--amazing-
Got 15.3 doing speed and 13.7 using the foot to much.. As said ^^^^ above in post back--takes off from stops great , breaks great--everything just great so far---can't complain--get lots and lots of compliments on it all the time--make you feel the same as when you get it for the MM....

Green96
05-24-2013, 07:51 AM
So whats the mpg with and without your trailer ??

My daily drive is all city. I get a bit over 17 day to day with a top speed of about 45 and a lot of stops. If I am on the highway 25 if I am going 60, but drops to low 20s when I am running 70. I went to Cincinnati and back a few weeks ago and got 21, but I had some city on the tank before I went.

It has been slowly improving since I got the truck. My city used to be about 16. Either I am getting used to it, or it is still breaking in.

Marauderman
05-24-2013, 11:06 AM
My trucks sticker and most I suppose says 17/21. And it will do that if you go light on the pedal and not over posted speed anywhere. And on the road. Yeah I have gotten the 21 but had to do posted and light on pedal. So who all really does that hence the mpg we all are getting base on our own habits. So Ford I believe is correct but has stretched it a bit to put those figs up. The real world is not really posted as we all know.

gpfarrell
05-25-2013, 07:38 AM
Nice to hear an educated experience. Thanks!

bigcowl-imp
05-27-2013, 07:21 AM
My daily drive is all city. I get a bit over 17 day to day with a top speed of about 45 and a lot of stops. If I am on the highway 25 if I am going 60, but drops to low 20s when I am running 70. I went to Cincinnati and back a few weeks ago and got 21, but I had some city on the tank before I went.

It has been slowly improving since I got the truck. My city used to be about 16. Either I am getting used to it, or it is still breaking in.

Are you the one that has a 96 green Impala SS with low miles ???? I bought my DCM 95 Impala brand new in 95 and got 26-27 on the hwy.. 17 in the city.......pulling a trailer i got 19 on the hwy.......not bad for a stock na v8 lt1 motor......Went 14.82 back in 95 when it was stock.....

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f393/bigcowl-imp/396andimp022.jpg (http://s51.photobucket.com/user/bigcowl-imp/media/396andimp022.jpg.html)

Green96
05-27-2013, 04:53 PM
Nope, not me. Once upon a time I had a green 96 Thunderturd and my screen name on tccoa was Green96. I still had it and was still active on the other forum when I got the Marauder so I wanted to to keep a common screen name. The Thunderturd is long gone now, by the screen name lives on.

DS650
05-27-2013, 06:18 PM
Super Duty 6.7 turbo diesel FX4 with a 16,200 max trailer weight capacity, 12.1 MPG if your pulling something or not. Stepping down on the accelerator without a trailer is priceless.:burn:

I do miss my 2007 F150 Fx4 5.4 sometimes.:shake:

HiHoSilver
05-27-2013, 06:36 PM

Thats awesome! Thats almost identical to the MPG in my wifes 07 Ford Edge. I owned a 2007 Ram 1500 Hemi Quad Cab 4x4.. I got 10 MPG average no matter how I drove it! If I ever buy another truck, I would strongly consider an EB F150.

Green96
08-18-2013, 07:48 PM
Just thought I would post a quick update. I have about 6500 miles on the truck now, 900 of them towing the trailer. I have not done any mountain towing yet, but I have been in some hilly areas with steep grades. It has done awesome. The only complaint that I have is related to the suspension. I knew going in that if the truck would have a weak point, it would probably be the suspension. The shocks are tuned too soft to settle down the slow oscillation induced by hitting a dip in the road. They handle sharp impacts OK, but not the slower movements that can make you feel seasick. I swapped them out for Bilstein 5100s and everything settles right down now. I only did the rears, but I like the reel so much that I might do the fronts also. Here is a shot from the first camping trip.