PDA

View Full Version : Take a sad song and make it better.... Radar Love

Motorhead350
05-24-2013, 10:23 AM
Last night was quite a joyful experience, but the drive home was even better.

I don't know how many of you know the meaning behind the song Radar Love by Golden Earring. It's not about driving reckless and running from the police. It's actually about a guy driving all night then suddenly hearing a song by Brenda Lee, reminding him about a dead lost lover he misses... he then decides to push the car to top end and commit suicide.

So last night after a movie (you can guess which one) Radar Love comes on my radio, Becky turns to me and says

"This is a sad song."
I say...
"Alright well let's put a good memory to this sad song. Let's see if I can make it to our exit before the guitar solo is over."

The vocals had already started on we were on Lake Shore Drive trying to get from Downtown to irving park. It's about a five mile drive and the speed limit is 35. Well we brought it up to triple digits. Not racing against anyone other than the guitar player. ;) We almost thought we weren't going to make it on time due to a Toyota driver right by our exit doing 25mph!!! Nothing a little WOT and quick lane changing cannot fix. When we got there we met our goal and the little part where the singer goes "Woo" we did a little fishtail slide as we got off the exit to our street.

So now Radar Love will always be our memory as having a blast on the way home with the wife to my side. :burnout:

The only other song that has a memory like that is Come Go With Me by The Del-Vikings. If you have seen the movie HOT ROD from 1979 that songs plays when the girl takes the wheel and has fun against a Porsche on the open road. Let's just say Becky did something like that too. :D

Cobra25
05-24-2013, 10:55 AM
Not crazy about the meaning of the song, but I always liked it alot.

massacre
05-24-2013, 01:48 PM
I saw Golden Earing play at a car show in Boston in the '70s.

Motorhead350
05-24-2013, 03:23 PM
How was the show?

rocky
05-25-2013, 06:49 AM
Radio played that forgotten song, Brenda lee's comin on strong.

I know a lot of meanings behind songs but this is a new one to me, thanks!
Cool story:) makes so much sense now listening to it again!

Sent from my iPhone 5

MyRaider
05-26-2013, 04:48 PM
Not crazy about the meaning of the song, but I always liked it alot.

Same here. IMO, in order to be a good song it's gotta have great instrumental and Radar Love does.

UncleLar
05-31-2013, 07:14 AM
First time I heard Radar Love,it might've been the first time airing in Chicago that day, I was heading down I55 (parts of Rte66 were still there then too)to Missouri in my 70 Torino GT.I had my right knee in a surgical cast and had the work the brake and clutch with my left foot,put the throttle through the firewall and held it there for the length of the song.Darn,that old Torino would run.

1Marauder
05-31-2013, 07:39 AM
Same here. Thank you for taking the time to explain the song meaning... After all these years now it makes sense.

A few weeks back I was thinking about WHICH things in life, make life better (other than people)... And transportation and music came to the top of my list.

I was cruising I40 and Route 66, and a song came on the radio by the Eagles at sunset... and i googled locations and came up with the attached photo, "I was standing on a corner, in Winslow Arizona... Such a fine sight to see..."

That I pulled off the attached photo, solo, still brings me happy thoughts as well.

Pic that it happened! Check out the background... The Ford guys and gals loved it!

L.Mark
05-31-2013, 10:57 PM
Good stuff...

Motorhead350
06-01-2013, 10:24 AM
Awesome stuff guys!

UncleLar
06-01-2013, 10:09 PM
Same here. Thank you for taking the time to explain the song meaning... After all these years now it makes sense.

A few weeks back I was thinking about WHICH things in life, make life better (other than people)... And transportation and music came to the top of my list.

I was cruising I40 and Route 66, and a song came on the radio by the Eagles at sunset... and i googled locations and came up with the attached photo, "I was standing on a corner, in Winslow Arizona... Such a fine sight to see..."

That I pulled off the attached photo, solo, still brings me happy thoughts as well.

Pic that it happened! Check out the background... The Ford guys and gals loved it!

I was just in Winslow last week,took some pics of my DTR by the red Flatbed Ford truck on the side of the street with the statue and wall painted to look like a building with people in the windows.Stop in the Standing on the Corner store across the street and say hello to the nice brunette with the real pretty blue eyes,her folks own the store.Nice people.
My buddy and I backpacked from CA back to Chicago in 73,passed through Winslow then before the song came out.I met a sweet young thing there back then and stayed for a couple days.I spent the day there last week helping people take their pics by the statue and looking at the younger generation to see if maybe I had a long lost grandson or grand daughter I never knew about
If I can cell message somebody a pic of it maybe they'll know how to post the pic here.