PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln Continental

Granddaddy Marq
05-27-2013, 06:47 AM
My son came towing home with a '99 Lincoln Continental yesterday. He wants to get it running. We can get it to turn over, and to fire if we put gas in the intake. We know we don't have fuel pressure, but we don't know where the fuel pump fuse, relay, and reset botton is located. The owners manual is no real clear on this. The books I have don't cover this car, and my Google searchs are not giving me exactly what I need.
So my questions are: Where is the Pump fuse, relay, and reset botton? And when we confirm that we have power to the pump and it works. What should the fuel pressure be? If the pump is bad, what has to be done to replace the pump?
This car has a 4.6 32V Intec front wheel drive, with 136000 miles, and in Good shape. He can scrap it and brake even. It's a much better car then that it needs to be running.

Granddaddy Marq
05-27-2013, 06:53 AM
Ha! how'd this get in the "Exaust" thread? I though I put this in "Shop Talk". Mods can you help me here?

DS650
05-27-2013, 08:00 AM
Ha! how'd this get in the "Exaust" thread? I though I put this in "Shop Talk". Mods can you help me here?

Maybe one to many.:beer:

MyBlackBeasts
05-27-2013, 09:18 AM
Owners manual Pg. 135 "The fuel pump shut-off switch is located behind an access door to the left of the driver’s seat on the B-pillar."

Bizarrely - no mention of fuel pump relay/fuse!

Good luck with repair.

rocky
05-27-2013, 09:50 AM
If simple fuel pump relay or inertia switch doesn't fix then burn it with fire and cut your losses...sorry but these cars are turds and can be money pits IMHO

Sent from my iPhone 5

Blk04MM
05-27-2013, 10:19 AM
My son came towing home with a '99 Lincoln Continental yesterday. He wants to get it running. We can get it to turn over, and to fire if we put gas in the intake. We know we don't have fuel pressure, but we don't know where the fuel pump fuse, relay, and reset botton is located. The owners manual is no real clear on this. The books I have don't cover this car, and my Google searchs are not giving me exactly what I need.
So my questions are: Where is the Pump fuse, relay, and reset botton? And when we confirm that we have power to the pump and it works. What should the fuel pressure be? If the pump is bad, what has to be done to replace the pump?
This car has a 4.6 32V Intec front wheel drive, with 136000 miles, and in Good shape. He can scrap it and brake even. It's a much better car then that it needs to be running.

If u scrap it... What would the rotating assembly be worth (short block)

EMAS
05-27-2013, 11:23 AM
The 99 Conti is a return less fuel system so it doesn't have dedicated fuel pump fuse or relay. The fuel pump module receives it's power from the main EEC relay and fuse via the inertia switch. Since it runs with fuel down it's gullet you can rule out a fuse or relay problem and start by looking for power at the inertia switch.

rocky
05-27-2013, 01:17 PM
If u scrap it... What would the rotating assembly be worth (short block)

Ask a recycling yard...sideways 4.6 is different than our RWD

Good luck with fix...just seen too many scrapped because of value vs repairs

Sent from my iPhone 5

Granddaddy Marq
05-27-2013, 06:10 PM
Tank is out and pump is bad. The boys have gone to pickup another one.

And the short block is different. But this has cam covers that will work on our cars, and an extra set of coils all 8 of them.

RoyLPita
05-28-2013, 07:16 AM
I've noticed lately that ethanol laced gasoline is killing fuel pumps.

Motorhead350
05-29-2013, 11:28 AM
I've noticed lately that ethanol laced gasoline is killing fuel pumps.

:mad2:

I will stay away from them.

RoyLPita
05-29-2013, 11:37 AM

I will stay away from them.

Good luck. Most stations have at least 10% ethanol content. Straight unleaded is considered "recreational" and scattered about.

Here is a link: http://pure-gas.org/

Pardon the hijack. Did you fix the Lincoln?

Motorhead350
05-29-2013, 11:50 AM
Good luck. Most stations have at least 10% ethanol content. Straight unleaded is considered "recreational" and scattered about.

None in my f-n-ing left wang city.

68MercuryM250
05-29-2013, 12:13 PM
I am fortunate to be able to purchase 87, 89 and 93 octanes unblended/100% gas. 87 runs about $3.35 and Preemiola 93 for the MM is at $4.15 per gallon. No alkyhol unless totally unavaoidable on a road trip. It will destroy small engine fuel systems in a heartbeat and if it will do that to a small engine, I fear what a sweet/corn gas blend will do to large internal combustion engines and fuel pumps.

BLACKMARAUDER04
05-29-2013, 01:31 PM
I have a 1997 Continental with only 81000 miles.
It gets terrible gas mileage and the rear air springs need replacement.

I am going to go with this company for that:

https://www.arnottindustries.com/part_FORD_Air_Suspension_Parts _yid1_pid9_gid45.html

Thanks to the Marauder family for this company.

Other than that, it goes thru a battery every 24-36 months.

Granddaddy Marq
05-29-2013, 01:32 PM

Yes and no. The car will start, but not run well if at all. Ruff ideal, boggs down when accelerating, would not run in gear at all. I did a compression test on 4 though 8 nothing under 130 psi. So I took the breather off, and it runs better. Drove the car, doesn't have alot of power and the most foul smelling smoke I've ever smelled. I though it was steam. It's whitish grey smoke. And a lot of heat coming out from under the passenger side of the car. The good news the seats are very nice, the air ride, and the A/C works great. Going to look into it some more this evening. Not giving up on it yet.

Granddaddy Marq
05-29-2013, 01:36 PM
I have a 1997 Continental with only 81000 miles.
It gets terrible gas mileage and the rear air springs need replacement.

I am going to go with this company for that:

https://www.arnottindustries.com/part_FORD_Air_Suspension_Parts _yid1_pid9_gid45.html

Thanks to the Marauder family for this company.

Other than that, it goes thru a battery every 24-36 months.

If I do give up on this car. Make an offer on the air ride. We'll work something out.

Curless
05-29-2013, 01:47 PM
Sounds like a plugged cat???

RoyLPita
05-29-2013, 01:51 PM

I second this. I had a 1988 T-Bird Sport that would go past 1500 RPM because of ^^^that^^^.

Granddaddy Marq
05-29-2013, 01:57 PM

I've never seen a plugged up cat. Alot of people have said that's the problem, take the cats off and it's not plugged up. This may be a first. I'm working my way that direction. We will see.

L.Mark
05-29-2013, 02:11 PM
I bought a 81 Mark VI that has pluged cats. NO performance and loud. Replaced them and she would light the tires up...