PDA

View Full Version : Sat car show

Curless
06-03-2013, 06:09 AM
Stooped by a veterans car show Saturday, about 100 cars...the normal crowd was there. I was the only Panther, there was about 10 newer 2005 and up Mustangs...The older cars (60's) were the cars that got trophies, not much love for the newer cars. I overheard a few people say that they thought newer cars should not be allowed. Not sure how to take that...

To be completely honest I don't feel brand new cars (cars you can readily go buy at any dealership) belong in a show... Seeing 10 New Mustangs side by side with the same typical mods (exhaust, cold air) reminds me of a bunch of new Harley's....hey lets go spend $40,000 to buy a bike thats black with loud chrome pipes...

I feel the exact same way about Vettes, I hate Vette shows. I can't stand seeing the same cars, with the same mods and the same attitudes that go along with owning them...

All in all it was a good day, met a nice couple with a 66 Nova that was parked next to me and we had a great time talking. This weekend is the all Ford show at our local Ford dealership....not sure if I am headed out there yet or not.:beer:

Haggis
06-03-2013, 06:11 AM
Come to Carlisle and bring Jerry and Joel.

Curless
06-03-2013, 06:13 AM
Come to Carlisle and bring Jerry and Joel.

Can't do it this year....would love to sometime though. I need to call Joel, I have not talked to him for a couple of weeks. Jerry on the other hand...LMAO!

Ms. Denmark
06-03-2013, 06:18 AM
"I can't stand seeing the same cars, with the same mods and the same attitudes that go along with owning them..." Curless

But somehow I never get tired of the sight of row after row of (mostly Black) Marauders with the same mods and the same attitude (of pride) that go along with owning them...;) :cool:

lji372
06-03-2013, 06:18 AM
can't do it this year....would love to sometime though. I need to call joel, i have not talked to him for a couple of weeks. Jerry's in the other hand...lmao!

fixed!!!!!!!!!!

Haggis
06-03-2013, 06:20 AM
Can't do it this year....would love to sometime though. I need to call Joel, miss his tight....and I have not talked to him for a couple of weeks. Jerry's other hand is on my...the shifter. LMAO!

***Fixed***

DOOM
06-03-2013, 06:34 AM
"I can't stand seeing the same cars, with the same mods and the same attitudes that go along with owning them..." Curless

But somehow I never get tired of the sight of row after row of (mostly Black) Marauders with the same mods and the same attitude (of pride) that go along with owning them...;) :cool:

So true! :beer:

lji372
06-03-2013, 06:59 AM

what she ^^^^^said.

but, certainly there are small groups of normal people (or abnormal like us) lurking among their masses who probably feel the same about marauders:beatnik:

Vortex
06-03-2013, 07:46 AM
I know what you mean but not everyone can afford a couple of cars and a classic to play with. I think those guys with new Mustangs are proud of their cars (and its no sweat off my bollocks.)

Spectragod
06-03-2013, 08:55 AM
but, certainly there are small groups of normal people (or abnormal like us) lurking among their masses who probably feel the same about marauders:beatnik:

I doubt that...... when I go to a show, I am the only Marauder, although, I will say, that part of my static display is a AARP bumper sticker, a walker and a box of Depends........:D

jerrym3
06-03-2013, 10:06 AM
I take my 2003 TBird to a show (instead of my 64 Galaxie) every now and then just for a change of pace.

But, I like the "25 years and older" shows over the shows that allow newer cars.

I can see a new Mustang, Camaro, Charger, or Corvette on the street. I like seeing cars at the shows that I haven't seen in years, or cars that trigger memories.

Also, and I wasn't the only guy complaining, I went to a show yesterday where the volume of the live entertainment (an Elvis impersonator with band) was so loud that guys trying to talk "shop" couldn't hear each other.

Luckily, I had earplugs with me, or I would have left and demanded a refund.

(Shame, from what I could hear, "Elvis" was pretty good.)

Shaijack
06-03-2013, 11:35 AM
I love cars. I just don't pay alott of attention to the newer ones.
When I go to a car show I am the only Marauders there.
Darren I just pull out my Handicap sticker and park where I want. I like your idea.

L.Mark
06-03-2013, 03:03 PM
I agree with everybody, but I think there should be an age limit on car shows. I, like Chris don't like seeing rows of Vettes, Stangs, etc...That's one reason why I stopped going to Carl Casper. You see the same cars inside as you do in the parking lot. I'm sure they are proud of their cars, but they are brand new, you should be proud of the car you JUST bought. Even if they are madly customized, no. Car shows are for cars that you don't or can't see in everyday traffic. 10 years old should be the newest, cause by then they are forgotten by the public at large for the newer models. And, yes that would exclude my Marauder. Unless it's an "All Car" show, fine. But don't exclude the grocery getter GMQ or whatever station wagon. Because as proud as the owners of a new Stangs, Camaro's etc... are, as are and more so are the owners of the 2003 GMQ's and other "less" flashy cars or trucks. :soap:

Mebot
06-03-2013, 03:34 PM
I agree with everybody, but I think there should be an age limit on car shows. I, like Chris don't like seeing rows of Vettes, Stangs, etc...That's one reason why I stopped going to Carl Casper. You see the same cars inside as you do in the parking lot. I'm sure they are proud of their cars, but they are brand new, you should be proud of the car you JUST bought. Even if they are madly customized, no. Car shows are for cars that you don't or can't see in everyday traffic. 10 years old should be the newest, cause by then they are forgotten by the public at large for the newer models. And, yes that would exclude my Marauder. Unless it's an "All Car" show, fine. But don't exclude the grocery getter GMQ or whatever station wagon. Because as proud as the owners of a new Stangs, Camaro's etc... are, as are and more so are the owners of the 2003 GMQ's and other "less" flashy cars or trucks. :soap:

All posts I agree with. I dont get tired of seeing row after row of marauders because you dont see em everyday. But mustangs and vettes and camaros are a dime a dozen

Stooped by a veterans car show Saturday, about 100 cars...the normal crowd was there. I was the only Panther, there was about 10 newer 2005 and up Mustangs...The older cars (60's) were the cars that got trophies, not much love for the newer cars. I overheard a few people say that they thought newer cars should not be allowed. Not sure how to take that...

To be completely honest I don't feel brand new cars (cars you can readily go buy at any dealership) belong in a show... Seeing 10 New Mustangs side by side with the same typical mods (exhaust, cold air) reminds me of a bunch of new Harley's....hey lets go spend $40,000 to buy a bike thats black with loud chrome pipes...

I feel the exact same way about Vettes, I hate Vette shows. I can't stand seeing the same cars, with the same mods and the same attitudes that go along with owning them...

All in all it was a good day, met a nice couple with a 66 Nova that was parked next to me and we had a great time talking. This weekend is the all Ford show at our local Ford dealership....not sure if I am headed out there yet or not.:beer:

sent from space

jerrym3
06-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Another scary site at yesterday's car show.

An early 80's Datsun 2 dr sedan, completely stock, on display.

And so it begins...

lji372
06-03-2013, 05:17 PM
What's a Datsun?

L.Mark
06-03-2013, 05:31 PM
As long as it's a 280Z, I'll look!!!

L.Mark
06-03-2013, 05:32 PM
Or were they 260's...not that familiar with the earlier ones...

L.Mark
06-03-2013, 05:38 PM
And my rant was not to include the Marauders at all. Louisville was the first time I have seen that many in one place. I was afraid I wouldn't dig it with them all being "the same thing" as that was the comment s I was getting when I told people what I was going to participate in. Man there was nothing better than seeing then all lined up at the Brewery...:D...it was an AWESOME site to see. And to see them on the interstate...WOW. I like all cars too, but I don't get the feeling from seeing a line of (insert car here) as I did from our cars!!! Well, maybe the Lincoln Meet I went to in Indianapolis gave me some butterflies. But not to the degree of this. And they weren't as freindly by far...

jerrym3
06-03-2013, 07:14 PM
What's a Datsun?

The car that became the Nissan.

Haggis
06-04-2013, 04:25 AM
What's a Datsun?

When were you born?

jerrym3
06-04-2013, 05:24 AM
When were you born?

January, 1943

A few of my friends from grammar school and I still get together every few weeks for a few drinks or a daytrip down the Jersey Shore.

We've been celebrating turning 70, but now some of the guys are turning 71.

Sure goes by quick.

Haggis
06-04-2013, 05:43 AM
January, 1943

A few of my friends from grammar school and I still get together every few weeks for a few drinks or a daytrip down the Jersey Shore.

We've been celebrating turning 70, but now some of the guys are turning 71.

Sure goes by quick.

Thanks, but I was asking Jerry, lji372, since he never heard of a Datsun before.

RF Overlord
06-04-2013, 09:12 AM
IMHO, car shows should be for cars that are significant in some way: an un-molested '65 Mustang...a Plymouth Superbird...a mint-condition Yugo. The MM is significant due to its low production numbers and the fact that no one knows what it is. A car than any dimtwit with too much money can buy off the showroom floor today is not significant, no matter how proud the owner is.

Mebot
06-04-2013, 09:21 AM
IMHO, car shows should be for cars that are significant in some way: an un-molested '65 Mustang...a Plymouth Superbird...a mint-condition Yugo. The MM is significant due to its low production numbers and the fact that no one knows what it is. A car than any dimtwit with too much money can buy off the showroom floor today is not significant, no matter how proud the owner is.

Agreed 7 8 9 10

jerrym3
06-04-2013, 05:33 PM
Thanks, but I was asking Jerry, lji372, since he never heard of a Datsun before.

My mistake.

lji372
06-04-2013, 06:14 PM
When were you born?

I've heard of Datsun's lol I was 1/2 joking. Just haven't heard them mentioned in forever. Don't remember ever seeing one running though :dunno:

MyBlackBeasts
06-04-2013, 07:06 PM
As long as it's a 280Z, I'll look!!!

240, 260 & 280.

When they were 1st produced I was mad to have a 280Z 2+2. One of my many "to die for" dream cars.

When they made the leap to the 300z it ended something special...

L.Mark
06-04-2013, 08:10 PM
Yes...I think it's an early 80's, but I saw several when new and occasionally see one in the blue and silver combo with T-tops. Oh man. Only rode in one though, when I was little. 7 0's style, it was ruff, but really cool. Something totally different to me at the time when all I knew was a 68 Cougar and 74 Gran Torino Wagon(no woodgrain).

Haggis
06-05-2013, 04:36 AM

I've heard of Datsun's lol I was 1/2 joking. Just haven't heard them mentioned in forever. Don't remember ever seeing one running though :dunno:

You is a youngin, the 280z was the only Jap car I ever really liked.

jerrym3
06-05-2013, 05:47 AM
I worked in a body shop in 1961. In the front of the shop was one of the early Datsun showrooms.

I'd put in some OT by driving Datsuns fresh off the boat at the Port Elizabeth, NJ, seaport, up the Jersey Turnpike, to the showroom.

These little 4 dr cars looked like a shrunken American car from the early 40's. They had 4 sp manual transmissions, column shift.

One really lousy night, during a rainstorm, the lights and wipers on one of my deliveries went out on the TPKE at 65 mph. Scared the stuff out of me. Nasty ride home.

Maybe that's why I never bought a foreign car.

Motorhead350
06-05-2013, 05:56 AM
Go to an Import show. More people know what a Marauder is there.

Domestic shows are pissing contests by ultra proud asshats who never drive their "show cars" unless it's to the show when the weather is perfect.

Sorry, but I would rather see the car that runs 12s from random junkyard parts than see a $100,000 track car or a Grand National with 8,000 original miles.

:puke:

Curless
06-05-2013, 06:38 AM

Domestic shows are pissing contests by ultra proud asshats who never drive their "show cars" unless it's to the show when the weather is perfect.

Sorry, but I would rather see the car that runs 12s from random junkyard parts than see a $100,000 track car or a Grand National with 8,000 original miles.

I agree except the part about the Grand Nationals....I LOVE THEM...in all forms, Stock,no miles, 250,000 miles of drag racing, built all aluminum twin turbos, hot air, tubbed, ALL OF THEM!!!!!!!! :rock:

Motorhead350
06-05-2013, 06:46 AM
I agree except the part about the Grand Nationals....I LOVE THEM...in all forms, Stock,no miles, 250,000 miles of drag racing, built all aluminum twin turbos, hot air, tubbed, ALL OF THEM!!!!!!!! :rock:

What's the point of having it if your don't use it? Not just GNs, but anything and everything.

Just my POV.

Curless
06-05-2013, 08:24 AM
What's the point of having it if your don't use it? Not just GNs, but anything and everything.

Just my POV.

OH I agree....I am just saying that I love the GN's weather they drive them or not. If I had the rarest Shelby Cobra on the planet you'd see it at the dragstrip and on the road course!:up:

jerrym3
06-05-2013, 10:35 AM

I use my Galaxie all year round once per week, but not in nasty weather, and I'm not taking the car to The Home Depot or to pick up a Pizza so some asshat can dent a fender molding that I'd have to go crazy to replace.

Worse yet, it's practically impossible to find parts like a 64 Galaxie rear bumper, and other parts are getting rarer and rarer.

At the Wildwood autoshow one year, someone gave me a nice shot in the motel parking lot. Fortunately, I had a replacement molding.

As for the dragstrip, that's not what I restored my car for. A heavy convert with a stock 390/300, auto, 3:50 rear is not going to burn up any track.

I restored it so that other folks could see it, admire it, and discuss old memories.

If I had a dollar for every "my dad/uncle/brother/neighbor etc had one of those", or "I can remember riding in the back of my dad's 64 driving cross country back in the 70's".....

Now, I don't have a 100,000 dollar garage queen, but I am very proud of the time and effort I put into restoring her, and I choose going to old car shows on Sundays.

It was a completely different story in the 60's when I raced my 57 BelAir, and then my 68 Cyclone GT, every Sunday and at some Wednesday evening "grudge" matches. (The 57 died an early death thanks to the racing abuse.)

There's no right or wrong here, but times and priorities change, at least for me.

Motorhead350
06-07-2013, 05:25 AM
There's no right or wrong here, but times and priorities change, at least for me.

Truth right here.

jerrym3
06-07-2013, 10:21 AM
Truth right here.

Read today that the place where I spent every Sunday in the early 60's has closed-Island Dragway, Hackettstown, NJ.

Sad.

Crazieat race I ever saw there was a 63 Plymouth 413 automatic, a car that had no competiton in it's own class, run a Corvair that started at the 1/8 marker (just for a joke).

The Plymouth passed the Corvair before the 1/4 mile mark.

I remember going to an airstrip in NY state (Montgomery?) where they sometimes raced four cars at a time due to the number of cars, but this was back in 1960.

CBT
06-07-2013, 10:42 AM
Stooped by a veterans car show Saturday, about 100 cars...the normal crowd was there. I was the only Panther, there was about 10 newer 2005 and up Mustangs...

What about Cougars, any Cougars there? Le ROWR, ROWR...:cool:

jerrym3
06-07-2013, 04:35 PM
What about Cougars, any Cougars there? Le ROWR, ROWR...:cool:

My wife's uncle had a 69 XR7, red, 390, 4 sp, white vinyl manual sunroof top that he jjust let sit in his yard and rot and rot and rot away.

I didn't want the car, but I sure would have liked the motor for my 64 Galaxie.

L.Mark
06-07-2013, 10:42 PM
You don't see a lot of any Cougars at car shows here...:shake:...which is why I'm always on my Dads a$$ to get his done and show it...:mad2:

jerrym3
06-09-2013, 05:14 PM
Went to a local carshow today with the Galaxie. Good turnout, many, many cars nicer than mine, so I wasn't expecting much when they gave out "top 30" awards.

Then, while I got passed over (no surprise), a 2002 TBird that didn't get anywhere near the number of gawkers as my Galaxie got a "top 30".

WTF?

I have a 2003 TBird. When my TBird and my Galaxie are side by side, my TBird goes "invisible".

Maybe I should have brought my 2003 TBird?

Nah, I like showing the Galaxie. I have enough trophies.

Anyway, nice day overall.

Next week is an all TBird show.

LostInTennessee
06-09-2013, 06:28 PM
I think the "RATRODS" are cool. Some have tons of work in them.
My favorite Galaxie is the '65 with a 7 liter. And the rare '65 & '66 Comets.

Spectragod
06-09-2013, 06:51 PM
Went to a local carshow today with the Galaxie. Good turnout, many, many cars nicer than mine, so I wasn't expecting much when they gave out "top 30" awards.

Then, while I got passed over (no surprise), a 2002 TBird that didn't get anywhere near the number of gawkers as my Galaxie got a "top 30".

WTF?

I have a 2003 TBird. When my TBird and my Galaxie are side by side, my TBird goes "invisible".

Maybe I should have brought my 2003 TBird?

Nah, I like showing the Galaxie. I have enough trophies.

Anyway, nice day overall.

Next week is an all TBird show.

Pics of the Galaxie? And specs......:beer:

jerrym3
06-10-2013, 05:10 AM
Pics of the Galaxie? And specs......:beer:

1964 Galaxie convert 500 352/250 with column shift automatic purchased in 1969 for $750.

Converted to a 500XL in the early 80's, buckets, console, console shift, door panels, body trim, etc. Repainted original Pagoda Green in 1980's.

Recently installed a rebuilt 390/300 and new seat covers

216,000 miles on the body.

http://s1109.photobucket.com/user/jvmarcone/slideshow/my%201964%20Galaxie

interior project before and after

http://s1109.photobucket.com/user/jvmarcone/slideshow/new%20Galaxie%20interior

Spectragod
06-10-2013, 07:57 AM
1964 Galaxie convert 500 352/250 with column shift automatic purchased in 1969 for $750.

Converted to a 500XL in the early 80's, buckets, console, console shift, door panels, body trim, etc. Repainted original Pagoda Green in 1980's.

Recently installed a rebuilt 390/300 and new seat covers

216,000 miles on the body.

http://s1109.photobucket.com/user/jvmarcone/slideshow/my%201964%20Galaxie

interior project before and after

http://s1109.photobucket.com/user/jvmarcone/slideshow/new%20Galaxie%20interior

NICE!!!!!! That looks awesome....... I love looking at old cars that are in better than new condition. :beer:

jerrym3
06-10-2013, 10:16 AM
NICE!!!!!! That looks awesome....... I love looking at old cars that are in better than new condition. :beer:

Thanks

Local town wants me to drive the July 4th parade grand marshall in this year's parade. I'm all for it, but I have a bit of a concern if I'm riding in front of a marching band.

Having tinnitus (ear ringing/screeching) I can't chance two hours of blaring trumpets, even with earplugs.

So, they are checking who/what would be directly behind me.

I hope it works out.

Spectragod
06-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Thanks

Local town wants me to drive the July 4th parade grand marshall in this year's parade. I'm all for it, but I have a bit of a concern if I'm riding in front of a marching band.

Having tinnitus (ear ringing/screeching) I can't chance two hours of blaring trumpets, even with earplugs.

So, they are checking who/what would be directly behind me.

I hope it works out.

Hope it works out, that car is gorgeous......

jerrym3
06-12-2013, 04:16 PM
Hope it works out, that car is gorgeous......

Crossed one hurdle.

Car was running lousy. Missing, "hiccuping", barely idling. Could not trust it in a parade lasting two hours.

But, after a points adjustment and re-timing, she's good to go.

Now, just have to get past the potential loud band issue.