PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Law?

BlackOps
06-18-2013, 05:41 PM
Georgia Law?

Does anyone know the correct Georgia law for paying employees while driving to and from work (in a company vehicle)? Let me explain.
I recently started a new job. When I arrive at work….my clock in time starts. I take a company vehicle to multiple job sites throughout the day. But my clock out time ends on completion of my last job. I still have to travel back to the office every day, which could be anywhere from 1 to 2 hours travel.
My question is…. Is it legal/illegal (in Ga) for an employer to cut off my (time/money) while I am still physically at work? If you add up the amount of travel at the end of each day, per week…. 5-10+ hours not paid and time away from my life.
I can understand why any company would make this rule… saves them thousands!!! I’m sure the laws are different in other states. My cousins sued their own stepdad, and won for this same exact reason… it was pretty ugly!!

PonyUP
06-18-2013, 06:12 PM
Georgia Law?

Does anyone know the correct Georgia law for paying employees while driving to and from work (in a company vehicle)? Let me explain.
I recently started a new job. When I arrive at work….my clock in time starts. I take a company vehicle to multiple job sites throughout the day. But my clock out time ends on completion of my last job. I still have to travel back to the office every day, which could be anywhere from 1 to 2 hours travel.
My question is…. Is it legal/illegal (in Ga) for an employer to cut off my (time/money) while I am still physically at work? If you add up the amount of travel at the end of each day, per week…. 5-10+ hours not paid and time away from my life.
I can understand why any company would make this rule… saves them thousands!!! I’m sure the laws are different in other states. My cousins sued their own stepdad, and won for this same exact reason… it was pretty ugly!!

I'm not real positive on Georgia law on this. But, do you need to return to the shop to check in? If so, many state laws will dictact that as payable time. If you have a take home company vehicle, it is not payable as that I'd considered regular commute. However an accident in a company vehicle at anytime provided it is approved as a take home vehicle, becomes the companies liability

The Ice Bucket Approves of this message

Marauderman
06-18-2013, 06:16 PM
Not sure of GA .Law--but reminds me a an incident way back--some may remember--where Wal-Mart or K-mart didn't pay for Overtime when employees worked it or something to that ---If I recall correctly--employees won and got back pay--this close to anyone who might remember---??

In your case , there is another legal technically to consider--if you have an accident and it had been proven that this occurred while on the job and you would not have been there (at accident) without being on the job-(doing what job asked of you) you are due payable for medical and coverage cause you were performing a duty resulting from you work requirement.....thats what I remember somewhere....a lawyer would be the best bet!

MyBlackBeasts
06-18-2013, 06:32 PM
Georgia Law?

Compensation & job description/definition are a negotiation between employer & employee.

Free market is a beautiful thing. Approach your employer, express your concern, negotiate to mutual agreement or if you don't like the answer - find an employer with the answer(s) you like.

You are not forced to work for the employer. 1 door closes, 2 open and something better comes your way. Free market is a beautiful thing!

Make your own success. The only limitations in life are self imposed!

MyBlackBeasts
06-18-2013, 06:39 PM
My cousins sued their own stepdad, and won for this same exact reason… it was pretty ugly!!

Wow, that's disturbing. Not a pleasant working environment after all said & done...

Shaijack
06-18-2013, 07:16 PM
I do believe in Louisiana, travel to and from work in a company vehicle is active work. In the marine business DOT/USCG regulated these times as On Duty Time.

jflave
06-18-2013, 07:25 PM
Do you have anyone in the HR department you can talk to ?

sailsmen
06-18-2013, 08:49 PM
Start your own company.;)

lji372
06-18-2013, 09:04 PM

It's tough to start but that right there^^^^^^

Just remember, it's easier to sign the back of the check than the front :D

Granddaddy Marq
06-19-2013, 04:16 AM
Are you driving the truck home? Or are you having to leave the truck at the office and picking it up when you report in?

Shaijack
06-19-2013, 07:32 AM
If I remember right, Jimmy Hoffa started like that. Talk to the management first and then start a union. Look where it got him.
For all you young people, they are still liiking for his body. HAHA

cat in the hat
06-19-2013, 09:33 PM
Are you driving the truck home? Or are you having to leave the truck at the office and picking it up when you report in?

This is the crux of it ^^^.

If your employer requires you to return to the office at the end of the shift, to turn in the vehicle, or paperwork etc., you're still on the clock IMO because you are not free to leave. If you got injured on the return trip it would be considered a work-related injury.

If you are free to leave after your last stop, and are permitted to take the vehicle home, you're off the clock and on your own time from that point IMO.

Haggis
06-20-2013, 04:38 AM

If your employer requires you to return to the office at the end of the shift, to turn in the vehicle, or paperwork etc., you're still on the clock IMO because you are not free to leave. If you got injured on the return trip it would be considered a work-related injury.

If you are free to leave after your last stop, and are permitted to take the vehicle home, you're off the clock and on your own time from that point IMO.

If not getting paid leave the truck at the last job site and let them pick it up and geta ride home.....or....tell them to "Take this job and shove it!!!"

Granddaddy Marq
06-20-2013, 05:06 AM

This is what I was getting at.

Gordy
06-20-2013, 06:22 PM
This I can tell ya, Georgia is a "Right to Work" state. Pretty much means, rock the boat, and the captain can throw you overboard with no reasoning required.

Now, if they are requiring you to drive somewhere and do something (drive a company vehicle to the office and not home) in my mind it would appear you are still at work, but again, you could ask the question, and they can say "your right, oh btw, your services are no longer needed."

cat in the hat
06-20-2013, 07:13 PM
This I can tell ya, Georgia is a "Right to Work" state. Pretty much means, rock the boat, and the captain can throw you overboard with no reasoning required.

Now, if they are requiring you to drive somewhere and do something (drive a company vehicle to the office and not home) in my mind it would appear you are still at work, but again, you could ask the question, and they can say "your right, oh btw, your services are no longer needed."

Putting up with something because that's what the traffic will bear is fine and dandy - right up until something bad happens.
Then you could find yourself sitting in a hospital someplace, finding out that even though you got injured while working, they're not going to cover you.
And, oh yeah, of course you'll be using your sick time while you're out.
And gosh, when that runs out, they might have to replace you.

sailsmen
06-20-2013, 09:30 PM
Call the DOL in your State and ask.

BlackOps
06-23-2013, 09:10 AM
I'm not real positive on Georgia law on this. But, do you need to return to the shop to check in? If so, many state laws will dictact that as payable time. If you have a take home company vehicle, it is not payable as that I'd considered regular commute. However an accident in a company vehicle at anytime provided it is approved as a take home vehicle, becomes the companies liability

The Ice Bucket Approves of this message

I do not take the company vehicle home. I drive my own car to work. I drive the company vehicle throughout the day then return to work to drop off their vehicle. Then commute back to my house in my own car.

PonyUP
06-23-2013, 09:19 AM
I do not take the company vehicle home. I drive my own car to work. I drive the company vehicle throughout the day then return to work to drop off their vehicle. Then commute back to my house in my own car.

Then your time must be paid until you return to work to return the vehicle. Otherwise their insurance does not cover your liability in the event of an accident, especially if its a lost time injury. They would open themselves to a large lawsuit if you were in an. Accident and deemed at fault, especially if the accident was caused by lack of regular maintenance to the vehicle, say a tire blowout. It is still a required work duty to return the vehicle and therefor you need to be on the clock as an hourly employee. If you are a salaried employee then it doesn't matter

Boost gets you laid

PonyUP
06-23-2013, 09:21 AM
The above is what was listed as required from my previous company in Georgia when I oversaw Atlanta operations, including our truck fleet

Boost gets you laid

BlackOps
06-23-2013, 09:31 AM
Compensation & job description/definition are a negotiation between employer & employee.

Free market is a beautiful thing. Approach your employer, express your concern, negotiate to mutual agreement or if you don't like the answer - find an employer with the answer(s) you like.

You are not forced to work for the employer. 1 door closes, 2 open and something better comes your way. Free market is a beautiful thing!

Make your own success. The only limitations in life are self imposed!

Don't get me wrong... This is the BEST company I have ever worked for (Besides the CORPS). After being unemployed for the fourth time in the last three years due to lack work by employers I do not plan to look for another job until I retire… if I retire. :)

Before I confront them and start pointing fingers without knowing facts...I would like to know if there is an actual law that states employers must pay employees the entire time in company vehicles.

Marauderjack
06-23-2013, 09:35 AM
Contact Marty at Mo's Speed Shop......he plays with the law from time to time and I'm sure his advice will be valuable to ya......maybe in more than one way!!;) :beer:

BlackOps
06-23-2013, 09:47 AM
Do you have anyone in the HR department you can talk to ?

Yes there is an HR lady I am able to talk to.

But if this "company rule" not playing employees for return travel, is what they enforce.. I need some paper back up.

BlackOps
06-23-2013, 09:50 AM

I need to pay my debts first, build my good credit, and a winning Powerball ticket first.

I do not have any of the above.... in the process! :lol:

BlackOps
06-23-2013, 09:53 AM
Call the DOL in your State and ask.

Probably the best thing to do...Figured i'd ask my buddies first! ;)

cat in the hat
06-23-2013, 10:45 AM
. . . I would like to know if there is an actual law that states employers must pay employees the entire time in company vehicles.

I think it's simpler than that. If your employer requires you to do something as a condition of your employment, they have to pay you to do it.

IMO, if I normally finished up nearby - like, within 15 minutes - I'd probably be ok with it, as long as I was covered in the event of an accident.

If I was finishing up an hour away, I might eat it once in a while at a really great job, but not every day, and not if I wasn't covered.

The only person looking out for you, is you.