PDA

View Full Version : Lost keys

DWSTANG67
06-20-2013, 01:09 PM
Does anyone remember when you lost the keys to your car and you felt stupid but you could use a spare key and go have one made if you had a blank, or if you kept the number from the key you could order a new one, and if all else failed you could either hot wire your car or remove the lock and not use a key anymore, or install a new lock with a new key. Anyone of these options were cheap well not anymore.

My son just lost his 2nd set for his 2012 focus so I removed the lock and went to Ford to get a new one well they told me no, they said we need the car to do that so you need to have it towed to us. Then they said we cant just program one key we need to do two. To top it off they also said that the lock comes in 3 pieces and takes an hour labor to put it together before we can install it.

So your price comes to $703.45 to replace a key

I almost hung up the phone on brain at the ford dealer when he asked am i ok with the price, i told him no but there is no other option then bend over and take it I hate using a dealership

RacerX
06-20-2013, 01:12 PM
Bet he won't ever lose another set once you have him pay... Just sayin! :D

DWSTANG67
06-20-2013, 01:25 PM
he paying its going to be in payments but he is paying for it i may even charge interest on the payments

sailsmen
06-20-2013, 01:47 PM
he paying its going to be in payments but he is paying for it i may even charge interest on the payments

Yes, make him pay.

The worst thing was when they raised the drinking age to 21. The youth as a whole are babied so much they may never become adults.

I fine mine for various infractions and make them pay when they mess up.

Mebot
06-20-2013, 02:05 PM
Isn't there a way to program a set of keys much the same way we do on our cars? Gay, trying to remember the process maybe someone will share the link but i thought it could be done. Fords have the same RKE systems across their lines so this should work right? ?

sent from a Samsung Galaxy far far away..

fastblackmerc
06-20-2013, 02:21 PM
Isn't there a way to program a set of keys much the same way we do on our cars? Gay, trying to remember the process maybe someone will share the link but i thought it could be done. Fords have the same RKE systems across their lines so this should work right? ?

You need TWO keys to program a third key I believe.

If you only have one key the dealer has to do it by the code for your vehicle. I thought I heard somewhere that a hardware store or locksmith could do it.

Mebot
06-20-2013, 02:38 PM
I thought I heard somewhere that a hardware sore or locksmith could do it.

That's what i thought too

bill64
06-20-2013, 02:41 PM
You need TWO keys to program a third key I believe.

If you only have one key the dealer has to do it by the code for your vehicle. I thought I heard somewhere that a hardware sore or locksmith could do it.
to make an extra key you need two originals to program a third key in the car...when I bought my marauder I received only one key with it. For me to get an extra key I had to either go to a ford dealer, or to a lock smith. I took my key to a lock smith where they "cloned it". dident have to bring the car there. I belive some lock smith's can get into the pats system to make you new keys, call around and find out, may be cheaper than ford, but if no keys available they may have to dis assemble lock cyl's for pinning the keys, some dealers will replace all lock cyl's...good luck:beer:

DWSTANG67
06-20-2013, 03:04 PM
This was his second key so he has no more, to program a key, plus to make it even more interesting he only lost part of the key because most of it was still in the lock cylinder. So a new lock comes with 2 keys that have a code on them so they now have to transfer that code to the car. Oh and in 2012 was the year ford felt that the focus should have a laser cut key great technology high tech keys witch cost 179.00 per key but you have to buy a set they will not sell you one

Why do we need this its a key

My fathers 57 is a brass key cut with a cutting wheel low tech method cost about what a 1.00 and works just fine

bill64
06-20-2013, 03:42 PM
This was his second key so he has no more, to program a key, plus to make it even more interesting he only lost part of the key because most of it was still in the lock cylinder. So a new lock comes with 2 keys that have a code on them so they now have to transfer that code to the car. Oh and in 2012 was the year ford felt that the focus should have a laser cut key great technology high tech keys witch cost 179.00 per key but you have to buy a set they will not sell you one

Why do we need this its a key

My fathers 57 is a brass key cut with a cutting wheel low tech method cost about what a 1.00 and works just fine
ouch! sorry to hear...seems modern technoligy is not allways a good thing :eek:

Spectragod
06-20-2013, 03:54 PM
A locksmith that has the code generator for a 2012 can blow the new code into the PCM, I have a guy that I use, local to me. He also does most of our fleet work, he has had to replace keys on late model (Focus's) to be exact, that all the keys were lost for, and it got towed to our facility.

The new keys are 80 bit, his cost was less than $100 per key. I don't remember if they were 11's or 12's that had the lost keys though.

Before I paid $700, my kid would learn what public transportation was, and what walking was, then, he would pay the $700 up front........ this is why I probably don't have kids though...........

I think a lock smith would be a cheaper alternative that then dealer though.

cat in the hat
06-20-2013, 07:23 PM

That's ridiculous. I think my head would explode :mad2:

Including the head-explosion surgery, my final cost would probably be over $100,000.

Mr. Man
06-20-2013, 10:53 PM
Drew having never lost a key I can't share in your pain. In fact I have keys that I have no idea what they are for, but I know if I throw them away I will need all of them 10 minutes after the garbage man takes them to key heaven.

I would have the boy do more searching for the lost key 'cause you know as soon as you replace all the keys with new ones the old ones will magically reveal themselves. :beer:

Mebot
06-21-2013, 06:16 AM

Need to get your son a car that was manufactured before 1979 so this doesn't happen again. How about a nice '77 Ford Mustang II

MyBlackBeasts
06-22-2013, 09:11 PM
My son just lost his 2nd set for his 2012 focus so I removed the lock and went to Ford to get a new one well they told me no, they said we need the car to do that so you need to have it towed to us. Then they said we cant just program one key we need to do two. To top it off they also said that the lock comes in 3 pieces and takes an hour labor to put it together before we can install it.

I almost hung up the phone on brain at the ford dealer when he asked am i ok with the price, i told him no but there is no other option then bend over and take it I hate using a dealership

Wow! That blows! But if he can afford the payments on a 2102 car, he can afford to replace the keys he lost. Life lesson. Bet he doesn't lose another!