PDA

View Full Version : For All You Georgians!!!!!

jwibbity
06-26-2013, 06:18 AM
I will be getting out of the military in december of this year. I have a strong background in avionics and planned to move down to georgia for work/school. I am married with 2 kids (4 and 3) so schooling for them is kinda one of my make or break deals. My question to you guys that live and frequently go in and out of georgia where would you suggest i start looking for places to live? I was thinking around marrietta or somewhere in northwest georgia. But havent had time to really explore or look around those areas. Im more of a big city guy but not atlanta big, lol. Any inputs on this will be greatly appreciated.

jwibbity
06-26-2013, 06:27 AM
sorry this was definitely supposed to be in the lounge, :lol:

BlackOps
06-26-2013, 07:25 AM
Thank you for your service! What branch??

Anywhere north of Atlanta is the way to go. Marietta, Sandy Springs, Kennesaw, Roswell, Duluth, Johns Creek, Buford are all great areas. Just depends on your budget! A $250,000 house in Buford is a pretty nice home. Take that same house and put it in Sandy Springs, would be about $500,000 tiny house.

GAMike
06-26-2013, 08:39 AM
J - David offered sage advice. I would add, that it all comes down to where you find employment, your budget, commute parameters and schooling for your lil ones..... The ATL has some really good school systems and unfortunately really poor ones.......

Home prices in communities are in direct correlation to the quality of the school systems that serve those communities.

When you come to Marauderville, it will hopefully provide a "view of the terrain":). The guys here in the Southern Marauders come from all over the metropolis. Good resources for sure.:beer:

jwibbity
06-26-2013, 09:47 AM
Im in the Unites States Marine Corps and unfortunately i might not be able to make it to marauderville, :(:(we get back from japan sometime in september. Driving through atlanta kinda turned me off from living there, i thought i was going to die on the the highway.

GAMike
06-26-2013, 10:00 AM
Im in the Unites States Marine Corps and unfortunately i might not be able to make it to marauderville, :(:(we get back from japan sometime in september. Driving through atlanta kinda turned me off from living there, i thought i was going to die on the the highway.

Gotcha.... We will figure it out regardless:) Safe home Marine!:flag:

BlackOps
06-26-2013, 01:13 PM
Good to have another devil dawg in Ga, and to the Marauder family. Marines welcome to my house any time, family by appointment!

Marauder_Santa
06-26-2013, 02:31 PM
Good to have another devil dawg in Ga, and to the Marauder family. Marines welcome to my house any time, family by appointment!

I agree with Mike that housing may depend on where you get employed. I live in Alpharetta and also work in this area. You can find housing from $250,000 and on up. I've also lived in Marietta and Kennesaw and liked it, but would hate to live there and make the daily commute to Alpharetta.

We look forward to you being a part of the Southern MM family. Thanks for your service Marine.

martyo
06-26-2013, 06:30 PM
Awesome news Jordan!!!

Let me know if I can help ya!

jwibbity
06-29-2013, 10:29 AM
Thanks guys for all the info, and marty you were one of the factors for picking Georgia amongst other states, lol, and the Saturday breakfast club!

jwibbity
06-29-2013, 10:31 AM
And right now I'm looking more towards a place to rent instead of just jumping on a house immediately, i would like to set up my career before any permanent residence plans are made

Dave1kRR
06-29-2013, 08:08 PM
If you're in avionics and you want to rent, you can't go wrong with Vinings or Smyrna. Marietta is hit and miss. Lockheed Martin is right there with Dobbins ARB. Just a thought. I lived in Vinings for 4 years and the rent was so reasonable for being 10 minutes from anywhere you'd want to go in Atl.

Thanks for your service!!!

Gordy
06-30-2013, 01:18 PM
Good luck with your search man, sorry im not much help though, I live in the mountains and commute to Atlanta, thats how much I hate it down there.

I do know though, if you dont mind a little bit of a commute, The south side of Cumming is good. Its about 30 min north of the city with no traffic, 5 minutes north of Alpharetta. It could be a little drive if you have a 9-5 with rush hours but for a place that is built up enough to provide you with about anything you are looking for, cost of living is still much less. $200,000 can buy you a very large, new home and since you are looking to rent, when the economy tanked, Forsyth County (Cumming) was one of the fastest growing counties in the states, so there are alot of homes being rented from all the excess that was left sitting empty.

Again, good luck, and I wish you the best. Transition can suck, but im sure you and your family will do well.